Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Thank you all for all the great submissions! The leaderboard looks like this:

@Cleobel--10
    @Coru--10
    @Desolate Divine--10
    @Chakramaster--10
    @Bulbasaur--10
    @arnisd--10
    @VeloJello--10
    @Noblejanobii--5
    @K'sariya--5
    @Morzone--5
    @evanfardreamer--5
    @Shruikan--5
    @Neo Emolga--5

Thoughts on the Entries This Week:

@Cleobel--This was a great joke, and a lesson the show needs to take note of.
    @Coru--A very creative double entendre.
    @Desolate Divine--One of my favorite ones, and a neat way to break the fourth wall
    @Chakramaster--A funny way of breaking the fourth wall!
    @Bulbasaur--A good callout of a common episode scenario--one of my favorites.
    @arnisd--This was another of my favorites, because of the musical references
    @VeloJello--This was a very sweet caption, and definitely fits the character.
    @Noblejanobii--This joke was okay, but some people may not get it.
    @K'sariya--an old joke, but a good one!
    @Morzone--A hilarious take on schooling (or lack thereof) in the Pokeworld!
    @evanfardreamer--This one, I wasn't sure what the joke was trying to convey.
    @Shruikan--A nice Pokemonization of an all-too-common online problem.
    @Neo Emolga--A little obscure, but funny once you get it!
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-02-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

2. This post has been liked by:

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post

@Cleobel--20
    @Desolate Divine--20
    @arnisd--10
    @Coru--10
    @Shruikan--10
    @Chakramaster--10
    @VeloJello--10
    @Bulbasaur--10

Secret Bonuses found this week:

Cleobel--Fan Favorite! (+10 points!)
    @K'sariya--It Had To Be Done... (no points, but worth mentioning!)
    Coru--They Went There... (no points, but worth mentioning!)
    Shruikan--Whew! (no points, but worth mentioning!)
    VelloJello--Aw... (no points, but worth mentioning!)
    Linking this again: http://www.pokemoncrossroads.com/for...l=1#post276768

It says you have to give everyone at least one point.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

URPG Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Linking this again: http://www.pokemoncrossroads.com/for...l=1#post276768

It says you have to give everyone at least one point.
    This. O: and I'm fine with scoring low with my entry and whatnot if that's the case, but just so I know how to improve on future entries! :
    - Are the secret bonus qualifiers supposed to be kind of cryptic even after they've been revealed? I'm still not sure what any of those mean even after looking at the entries they applied to
    - Will some of the secret bonuses always not give points? If so, what's the point of those ones that don't? I love the idea of rewarding creative ones, just not sure why some matter if they don't give points, and why some randomly don't give points
    - Can you give feedback on how entries are scored so that we know how to improve on them later? IE why some got 20, some got 10, etc.

Appreciate you judging, just want to be sure how you're doing it so that we can try to improve our entries in the future! Thank you!

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

5. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

@Bulbasaur

Okay, the math has been refigured and the leaderboard has been recalculated--I think I got everyone a score.

@K'sariya:

You get 5 points just for entering a caption, and more if you have a particularly good caption, or discover a secret bonus that gives you points.

Some secret bonuses will give you points, some are just worth a mention, and some will make you lose points (nothing major, though)

I will reveal what you did to get them both on the leaderboard and on the first page, so everyone knows what gets you extra points, and what doesn't.
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-02-2018 at 02:29 AM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

@Cleobel--15
    @Desolate Divine--10
    @K'sariya--10
    @arnisd--10
    @Coru--10
    @Shruikan--10
    @Chakramaster--10
    @VeloJello--10
    @Bulbasaur--10
    @Neo Emolga--5 points

Cleobel--Fan Favorite! (Get the most likes on your caption for the week! +5 points!)
    @K'sariya--It Had To Be Done... (Use an obvious joke. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    Coru--They Went There... (Use a double entendre. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    Shruikan--Whew! (Get a caption in in the nick of time. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    VelloJello--Aw... (Get the most heartwarming caption of the week. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    Uhhhhhhh I wasn't mentioned? Do I not get any points for some reason? Also you said everyone gets ten points for entering, but Neo only got five. I get there's not enough points to evenly distribute ten but maybe you should knock it down to five per entry? Then evenly redistribute the points evenly.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Moderator

@Noblejanobii

That's a good idea--off to recalculate again!

UPDATE: Now everyone should've gotten scores--I didn't expect to get so many entries this time, which messed up my initial ideas for scoring.
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-02-2018 at 02:36 AM.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

@Cleobel--10
    @Coru--10
    @Desolate Divine--10
    @Chakramaster--10
    @Bulbasaur--10
    @arnisd--10
    @VeloJello--10
    @Noblejanobii--5
    @K'sariya--5
    @Morzone--5
    @evanfardreamer--5
    @Shruikan--5
    @Neo Emolga--5

Cleobel--Fan Favorite! (Get the most likes on your caption for the week! +5 points!)
    @K'sariya--It Had To Be Done... (Use an obvious joke. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    Coru--They Went There... (Use a double entendre. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    Shruikan--Whew! (Get a caption in in the nick of time. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    VelloJello--Aw... (Get the most heartwarming caption of the week. No points, but worth mentioning!)
    Emerald, I'm sorry, but you can't do judging like this and this format goes against what was set in the judging rules:

Each Judge will need to write their own rules for their section and provide a standard and basis for how they're judging entries and performance. This is so contestants know how to target the Judge's expectations and submit the best qualities entries and performance they can.
    This means you can't do these "Secret Bonuses" and attach point values to them (they're fine if none of them have points and are there just as a fun extra). What you're targeting and looking for in entries HAS to be made clear for the contestants. Also, awarding points just based on likes is unfair and is something a team could potentially abuse and influence. You're the one who does the judging, not everyone else.

Judges need to provide feedback for each entry. This in turn will also rationalize your reasons for awarding the quantity of points that you did. Was the entry great and that's why you gave it the largest share of points? Let them know what they did right! But if the entry or performance was lacking, tips and pointers toward what could have helped make the entry better helps contestants improve for the future.
    You haven't done this and just handed some people 10 while others got 5 with no basis or rationalization as to why you did it this way. And while you need to award at least one point for each entry, awarding five just for throwing anything in there isn't a good practice either. Otherwise there's really no need for a judge and there's no need for a person to put effort into their submission. You're there to determine what was a good submission from one that could use some more effort and improvement. You should be leaving reviews like "hey, this was a pretty funny and witty caption" or "I think this was a bit funny, but I would have liked it a bit more if..." and so on. It doesn't have to be a huge review (and I know a lot of people submitted something), but there needs to be at least something that says you read them rather than just automatically threw a 10 or a 5 at them.

On that note, please rework these results.

Senior Moderator

@Neo Emolga

All right--I will do away with the secret bonuses and add feedback to the captions with the leaderboard; as well as clarify scoring. I meant them to be a fun surprise for people to discover, but in light of this, I see they just aren't going to work

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

@Neo Emolga

All right--I will do away with the secret bonuses and add feedback to the captions with the leaderboard; as well as clarify scoring. I meant them to be a fun surprise for people to discover, but in light of this, I see they just aren't going to work
    They don't work because they're not fair. How is anyone supposed to work for a higher score when there are these secret bonuses that they don't know exactly to aim for? As it goes, people are under the impression that trying to come up with the funniest, wittiest, or most whimsical caption is the way to get points. If suddenly doing something completely random and unrelated gets additional points, how is that fair to anyone who is following directions? I mean be honest, would you want to be subjected to that if you were a participant?

Here's what I do for judging.

Take 100 (the points you're allowed to award) and divide it by the number of submissions (Let's say 13 in this case). That makes the average 7.69. On that basis, you say 7 or 8 is the score of an entry you found to be just average. If you think an entry is somewhat below average (because it was rushed, cliche, or something along those lines), you might give it a 4-6 depending. If you feel it's above average (because it was funny, witty, and more clever than most of the other submissions), then you maybe give it a 9 or 10. At the end, add up everything to ensure it hits 100 and if you're slightly over or under, you can adjust those accordingly. To me, this is the easier way to do it if you have a large number of submissions.

Also, Week #2's theme should have been up by now and this is the only section that hasn't set up for it yet. Please get that up there.

12. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

@Neo Emolga

Here's your new shot for this week:

Good luck!