Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

PXFire-- Creative Writing

Welcome to Pokemon Crossfire's Creative Writing competition! I am your host and judge, LKWayvern! Participating in this section is simple. Just make a short story based off of the prompt I give you, and incorporating any restrictions or parameters I specify in it.
    Your short story will be read by me, and points distributed based off of the four following categories, each of them with twenty five points:

Originality. Is this story something I've read half a million times? Is it a classic with an unexpected twist? Is it something I've never seen anything similar to before? Blow my mind with your creativity and make your story stand out to earn points in this category.
    Characters. Characters can make or break a story. Those with excellent command of characters, or can create a strong character-driven story, will end up with most of the points from this category.
    Coherency. Did your story flow? Was it easy to follow or did it jump around at random?
    Spelling and Grammar. How legible was the language used in your story?

Before we begin, I'd like for you to follow a couple rules. First of all, I'd like for these stories to be rated at PG-13. Meaning excessive swearing, excessive blood, and certain intimate situations are not allowed. Second, please do not disrespect real people in your stories, especially those on this website. Treat your fellow competitors with respect.
    Also, in order to keep the competition all on even footing, you will not be allowed to use stories created prior to the round. In that vein, plagiarism is not allowed. Ever. Do not steal someone else's story to use for your entry, it's disrespectful, rude, and lazy.

There shall be two challenges. The first will take place over one week, the second over two.

Now, shall we move onto the first round?

A light in the dark.
    Stories about good and evil are classic, and their basic premise is known by all. A scrappy underdog defeating an evil tyrant, a brave knight defeating a greedy dragon! Create a story with a clear hero and villain.

a) Good powers, evil powers. Sometimes, heroes are given similar powers to other heroes, and villains are given powers similar to other villains. What do you think would happen if a hero and villain had the same power? What ways would they use that power similarly, what ways would they use it uniquely?

b) Fearful symmetry. Have a phobia play a major part in influencing one character's decisions.

c) Mirror, mirror. Feature mirrors or reflections somewhere in the story.

You have one week.

~~~

Round 2

Take a deep breath. Round One is over, and you have far more time to work on your submission for Round Two.

So, in Round One, you set up two characters-- a hero and a villain. It was quite clear who stood on the side of light, and who supported the side of dark.
    But what happens when we flip perspectives?

Round two is Turning Tables.

This round, you have two options, but major challenge. The options are to continue and to expand upon the story you just finished, or to select a different, well-known tale-- a fable or fairy tale, a short story or play, a popular book or movie, a story you wrote in the past, something of that nature.

The challenge this round is this: You need to select a major character from this tale, and tell this new story in such a way that, if this character was good in the original story, they now appear evil, and if this character was evil in the original story, they now appear good. This could be before the main antagonist was corrupted into villainy; it could the hero living long enough to turn rotten; it could be a simple change in perspective showing that what you thought was true was truly reversed. It’s all your decision.

The other challenges are as follows: like last time, you need to include a mirror in the story. But unlike last time, instead of having fear influence a character’s decisions, have it be love.

The deadline is two weeks from now, the fifteenth. Good luck.

Form:

Username:
    Team:
    Entry:
    Other:
    Last edited by LKWayvern; 07-03-2018 at 02:10 PM.

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Is there a character/word limit?

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Is there a character/word limit?
    I need to read and judge these in a single weekend, so I'd prefer that you don't dump the next Les Miserables on me, but there's no word limit.

Quote Originally Posted by LKWayvern View Post
    I need to read and judge these in a single weekend, so I'd prefer that you don't dump the next Les Miserables on me, but there's no word limit.
    Sorry, I literally wrote that wrong.

I meant to ask if there's a MINIMUM amount of characters/words needed. XD

My Links

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

So is the first one due this coming Sunday?
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    @LKWayvern
    Just for clarification, for the Good powers, evil powers part, do the powers have to be literal? Like, would social standing count as a power? And if, for instance the main character's not human, would anything they can do natuarally count as a power, for instance, a bird being able to fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    So is the first one due this coming Sunday?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Shruikan View Post
    @LKWayvern
    Just for clarification, for the Good powers, evil powers part, do the powers have to be literal? Like, would social standing count as a power? And if, for instance the main character's not human, would anything they can do natuarally count as a power, for instance, a bird being able to fly?
    Good question. I'd say that it doesn't have to be a literal super power/magical power/supernatural ability. If you want power to be a learned skill(swordsfighting, physical strength, etc) or something more abstract like social standing, then go for it, I'd say. And if something like physical strength can qualify as a power, then the flying thing if you're writing about birds would as well. For the flying thing, however, I'd prefer if they specifically were better at it than average.

Not insanity. Supersanity. Death's Spook's Avatar
    For the powers thing, is it OK if the powers were related but not identical? EG a Ghost Type protagonist and a Dark Type Antagonist?
    Avatar taken from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart. Two great tastes that go great together! You know, when they aren't trying to kill each other horribly.

Ivy commands you not to touch the kitty!

Banner by Neo Emolga!

In addition to my last question, does it have to be Pokemon-related?

My Links

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Do all their powers have to be the same/similar or can they have some that are the same and some that aren't?
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire