Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [PXFIRE] Comics

URPG Staff

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    Funny how in an animation class you guys look at comics- cause when explaining comics I tend to point a lot towards animation. xD There's a lot of overlap between time based media (animation/film) and comics. Both rely on the same principles and 'rules' to achieve good story telling.

Yup- just a script for now. xD And you are completely right in trying to explain it as if someone else were going to draw it. That's exactly how you want the script to read. I wouldn't worry too much on being TOO specific as to crimp on an artist's creativity. The process of layout tends to changes things up a bit as things get put in visual form.

Anyway- some feedback. My text will be in red.

Thanks so much for your feedback! This was a really interesting prompt for comics and I had a lot of fun.

For minor clarification, I grouped the first three differently to put them under the hierarchy of ‘a row of three, small panels...’, but I totally see how that isn’t clear outside of my own head, haha.

And yeahhhh, I probably did “make them horizontal” “no make them vertical b/c it’s the ocean and it’s depth” gymnastics back and forth several times, but I couldn’t reason out the space in my head to make it not be kind of awkward with the rest of the panels. The struggle, haha

Again, thanks bunches and I can’t wait to give this next round a shot!

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

Week One
    Scores!

Pardon the delays in judging. I've moved all the individual critiques into one post at the bottom of the previous page to reduce the clutter. Y'all did great- scripting is no easy feat!

As for scores, I graded each person individually based on the criteria given: Story, Originality, Characters, Organization, and Scope. Each individual score could go up to 500, meaning 100 points per grading criteria. For final points awarded to each member/team, I will add up the total score of ALL participants and dish out a percentage of the 100 points for the round based on those numbers.

Thanks for participating- it's been a lot of fun reading through these!

K'sariya
    - Story: 90
    - Originality: 80
    - Character: 90
    - Organization: 100
    - Scope: 90

Total: 450

Your script was very detailed and easy to follow. The story overall was solid and in the span of just a few panels you were able to tell us a lot about the character. Great job!

---

NobleJanobii
    - Story: 80
    - Character: 70
    - Organization: 80
    - Scope: 70

Total: 380

Overall your script was fairly strong! You lost points on character since I really didn't learn much about either character other that they're running from people. Lost points on scope for writing a script that couldn't reasonably fit on a single comic page. That aside- it was all pretty solid! Great job!

---

Neo Emolga
    - Originality: 90
    - Character: 100
    - Organization: 90

Total: 460

At first I was just "Why is this character so cheery." I was going to take points off for the cheesiness until the last panel reveal made it all worth it. Wonderful twist! Just watch your paneling- it's within scope but for maximum effect you need to take full advantage of your page space.

---

VeloJello
    - Character: 90
    - Organization: 70
    - Scope: 100

Total: 430

You really went all out in this one! Scope wise, I can easily see how the panels would all fit. Just watch your formatting a bit.

---

Arnisd
    - Story: 80
    - Character: 80
    - Organization: 50
    - Scope: 70

Total: 360

The story was cute and well thought out! Just be sure to make your script clear and concise so that anyone could easily read it and make a page from it.

---

evanfardreamer
    - Story: 70
    - Originality: 70
    - Character: 50
    - Organization: 30

Total: 310

Overall an interesting premise- but I find myself wanting more out of the page. You'd be surprised how much information you could squeeze into a single comic page. And of course- watch the organization. Good job though!

---

Coru
    - Story: 70
    - Originality: 70
    - Character: 70
    - Organization: 80

Total: 400

Interesting premise but I find myself wanting to know more about the MC before throwing her into a situation like this. There's a lot you can tell about a character just through visuals. It does seem like a cut out of a larger story and that might be what hurts this- we don't have the background information on what's going on. Overall it was interesting and well put together though!

---

Shruikan
    - Story: 100
    - Originality: 90
    - Character: 100
    - Organization: 90
    - Scope: 100

Total: 480

Your story was simple and funny. It's hard to fit a story in one page and have it all tie up neatly with a bow at the end without feeling rushed. You were very good at setting your character. Incredible job!

Point Distribution

Total: 3250

K'sariya: 450/3250 = 14 points
    NobleJanobii: 380/3250 = 12 points
    Neo Emolga: 460/3250 = 14 points
    VeloJello: 430/3250 = 13 points
    Arnisd: 360/3250 = 11 points
    evanfardreamer: 310 = 9 points
    Coru: 380/3250 = 12 points
    Shruikan: 480 = 15 points

Values were rounded up/down as needed to ensure beautiful whole numbers were present.

Points by Team

Avalon Apostles: 68 Points
    The Sabotage Squadron: 23 Points
    The Order of the Sun: 9 Points

---

Just a reminder that Challenge #2 is up on the first page!
    @K'sariya @Noblejanobii @Neo Emolga @VeloJello @arnisd @evanfardreamer @Coru @Shruikan

3. This post has been liked by:

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Are you judging at all on our artistic abilities?

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Are you judging at all on our artistic abilities?
    Layout is not about art quality. It's more about readability and clarity. It's like a visual script. Your focus is paneling, character placement, camera angles, etc. The art must contain whatever is needed to convey what is going on and where things are but need not be clean or detailed. So no, your art is not being judged on quality.

6. This post has been liked by:

URPG Staff

My heart is in several places and all of them are fictional. u^u
    Quick question, Neko! Can we adapt the script of the page that we're working on slightly - like, if we find an action that should go in one panel, or one panel that works better as two, can we make that change so long as it still delivers the writer's message?

Button by K'sariya!

URPG Stats!

Paired with noob dummy crazy kid rad friend Nar.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloJello View Post
    Quick question, Neko! Can we adapt the script of the page that we're working on slightly - like, if we find an action that should go in one panel, or one panel that works better as two, can we make that change so long as it still delivers the writer's message?
    You are free to edit your script! Just include the edited script so I can compare it to layouts.

9. This post has been liked by:

I've seen some chit chat elsewhere in the forums and would like to reiterate:

The art need not be highly detailed or even fully sketched. Just the bare minimum to express what is going on! So don't stress over it.

Also, I assure y'all that the last challenge will not involve making 2-5 pages of comics. I'm not that evil. Well... I am. But not on this. I've done my best to keep every step of this challenge doable within a week without being too crazy. (I'd have loved a week four for this, honestly) Have faith in yourselves and keep at it! Comics are a lot of work but definitely a rewarding hobby~!

Also y'all have til tomorrow night... though if I see entries posted after the deadline and before I start judging I won't notice. ;)

I've seen some chit chat elsewhere in the forums and would like to reiterate:

The art need not be highly detailed or even fully sketched. Just the bare minimum to express what is going on! So don't stress over it.

Also, I assure y'all that the last challenge will not involve making 2-5 pages of comics. I'm not that evil. Well... I am. But not on this. I've done my best to keep every step of this challenge doable within a week without being too crazy. (I'd have loved a week four for this, honestly) Have faith in yourselves and keep at it! Comics are a lot of work but definitely a rewarding hobby~!

Also y'all have til tomorrow night... though if I see entries posted after the deadline and before I start judging I won't notice. ;)
    I am trying to get something done, it's just taking a little longer since the week two prompt also requires me to do the week one prompt.

My Links

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    I am trying to get something done, it's just taking a little longer since the week two prompt also requires me to do the week one prompt.
    Yeah- don't stress about the detail and formatting of the script. It's not going to be scored at this point. Worst case, just provide a quick outline of what is going to happen. All the grading will be done on the layouts themselves and how they tell the story. The script is just so I know what the story is meant to be.

Yeah- don't stress about the detail and formatting of the script. It's not going to be scored at this point. Worst case, just provide a quick outline of what is going to happen. All the grading will be done on the layouts themselves and how they tell the story. The script is just so I know what the story is meant to be.
    I just feel people that didn't do week one are at a bit of a disadvantage, and that kinda stinks. But I'll try my best!

My Links