Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    URPG Staff

[PXFIRE] Pixel Art!

Hello and welcome, fellow sprinters, to the PXFire 2018 Pixel Art event!

Pixel art is one of the most unique and intricate art forms vitalized by the digital age. It’s capable of an incredible range of styles and applications, and its this versatility that paved that way for much of today’s video game art. It’s time to put all of that to the test again over the next couple of weeks!

Each week, we’ll be flexing a different muscle in your pixel art skills, exploring pixel art in all of its different forms and applications. Even if you’ve never tried pixel art before, I encourage you to give this part of the competition a try. I’ll be doing my best to give as much constructive criticism as possible on every entry, so it’d be a great time to learn!

Rules
    • As with other competitions, plagiarism will not be allowed in any form. You’re allowed to reference other artwork when drawing (here’s a great tutorial on how to use references), or use Pokemon’s existing in-game sprites if you do something that involves a fusion. However, please do not use other artist’s sprites (or pieces of them).
    • Only work that has been made during the week’s duration may be submitted. Please do not use your previously-created works or portions of your previously-created works.
    • All PXR forum rules apply to this competition!
    • Please feel free to comment on others’ work and give feedback. However, if you do, keep it communal and constructive—we’re all here to have fun!

Judging and Scoring
    Depending on the theme, the exact criteria each week may change, but below are the basic things that I typically look at in scoring. Many are basic art principles, which apply as much to pixel art as they do any other medium.

• Creativity - How creatively did you apply the round’s theme to your work? While you don’t have to come up with something completely new, clever or unexpected takes of an idea will always catch my attention—and a few points!
    • Color & Value - One of the most important things to keep in mind when creating something that is so detail-oriented (and potentially small) is contrast in color and contrast in value. These are the qualities that really help communicate your sprite or scene to the viewer.
    • Form - This criteria evaluates the shapes and figures in your work. If anatomy of a known figure applies, this is where it’ll be analyzed and discussed.
    • Technique - Just like with any medium, there are tons of ways to do any one thing! This criteria will analyze how you used your mastery of pixels to create certain effects. Did you create some sick gradients or perhaps some great cross hatching? Did you manage to number the pixels just right to get that perfect curve of a tail? It’ll be talked about and appreciated here!

Submitting an Entry:

One of the things I appreciate the most about art is the process. How people look at a problem and solve it is one of the most fascinating experiences of an artist’s journey for me. With that in mind, here is the form for submitting an entry. You can opt out of the extra fields, but I would really appreciate getting to hear your voice on your works! You’re the artist here, and I’d love to learn more about you and how you feel.

Username: (your username)
    Entry: (your entry. Upload however you’d like!)
    Likes/Dislikes: (what did you like or dislike about your entry? If you had more time, is there something you’d change? Sometimes, we’re not fully satisfied with the things that we create, but that’s okay—knowing what we don’t like gives us room to improve! This field gives me an idea of what to give you more in-depth tips on, and tells me what you already see and notice about your own work. If you don’t dislike anything, that’s great! Feel free to say so.)
    What challenges did you face?: (did you do anything new or difficult while creating your entry? How did you overcome these challenges? If you felt it was easy-peasy, that’s alright too!)

Themes:

WEEK 4:
    Spoiler:
    We all found our way to pixel art somehow, and for a lot of the people that I know, that way was through spriting! Fusing and recoloring Pokemon pixels was the name of the game back in the day. Let's call back to the classics with a spriting theme to start out!

Create Your Own Mega Pokemon!
    We'll always be salty that our favorite Pokemon didn't get a Mega, so here's your chance to give it one! You can fuse in-game sprites to achieve this if you'd like. You have until July 22nd, 4PM CST!

WEEK 5:
    Spoiler:
    The ultimate legendary fusion! Using fusion and only fusion, fuse together at least three (or more, if you so choose!) legendary (or mythical!) Pokemon together to create one ultimate being! You can use scratched portions for tiny accents, joining pieces, or fixing perspectives of parts, but not for any large portions of the sprite! Recolors are also A-OK.

The "form" criteria will be replaced by "unity"--how well do your sprites combine to create one being?

You have until the 29th at 4PM CST!

WEEK 6:
    Spoiler:
    Dress-up! Like the dress-up competitions in Diamond and Pearl, your job is to create the most fabulously-dressed sprite! It can be fabulous, ridiculous, or whatever else you'd like--if you have a theme, mention it in your entry! You can scratch the accessories, or you can get them from pre-existing Pokemon sprites! Item sprites, ribbons, portions of Trainer sprites... the Pokemon pixel world is your wardrobe!

You have until the 5th at 4PM CST!
    Last edited by K'sariya; 07-29-2018 at 11:01 PM.

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

Questions! O:

a. Do we need to have been the ones to design the mega? Or could we, for instance, create a sprite version (from scratch obviously) of someone else's drawing/mega creation (giving credit of course)? (This would impact creativity though I'm guessing)
    b. If we design the mega ourselves, can it be a previously designed mega that we make a sprite version of? Or do we have to design it specifically for this challenge?

Thanks! ^-^

3. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Username: NobleJanobii
    Entry:
    Likes/Dislikes: I like the color scheme. The life preserver thing was a suggestion from a friend who was making color recommendation and I also think the green really suits Floatzel. I don't like how stiff the sprite looks. It really limited what I felt like I could do with the sprite given my inability to scratch so while I think it turned out fine, I feel like there we some untapped potential there.
    What challenges did you face?: Scratching is one of the single most difficult things I've ever attempted to do in my life. I cannot scratch for the life of me when it comes to sprites. Thus, making a mega sprite proves very difficult because I have to think outside the box about how to overcome my restriction but still make the sprite look nice without making it seem like Frankenstein's monster.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

5. This post has been liked by:

URPG Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Questions! O:

a. Do we need to have been the ones to design the mega? Or could we, for instance, create a sprite version (from scratch obviously) of someone else's drawing/mega creation (giving credit of course)? (This would impact creativity though I'm guessing)
    b. If we design the mega ourselves, can it be a previously designed mega that we make a sprite version of? Or do we have to design it specifically for this challenge?

Thanks! ^-^
    Oh, wow, I am so sorry! I didn't realize that it doesn't automatically subscribe & notify me to a thread that I create! AHHH! Terribly sorry for the wait!

So I'm gonna say!!

a) I'm personally going to say feel free as long as you link to and give full credit on the design. And yeah, it would gouge for creativity a bit, but you could totally try to change it up for points there!
    b) It can be a previously designed Mega that you've done before! I'm totally fine with that!

urpg stats

Quote Originally Posted by K'sariya View Post
    Oh, wow, I am so sorry! I didn't realize that it doesn't automatically subscribe & notify me to a thread that I create! AHHH! Terribly sorry for the wait!

So I'm gonna say!!

a) I'm personally going to say feel free as long as you link to and give full credit on the design. And yeah, it would gouge for creativity a bit, but you could totally try to change it up for points there!
    b) It can be a previously designed Mega that you've done before! I'm totally fine with that!
    Thank you for the response! No worries about that haha.

The only thing I don't really like is that it's kind of twice the work to design/make your own mega and THEN spend time spriting it too... D: I realised the only mega I'd ever designed was Mega Sharpedo before that was official, haha. So yeah can't really do that. But I came up with a crappy design and hopefully my sprite will look okay enough to pass. XDD

EDIT: Entry!

Username: Suicune's Fire
    Likes/Dislikes: I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! My initial design differed a bit, such as how the drawn version has teeth protruding. However, I found that it only cluttered the face. I changed subtle other parts about the design and honestly kind of like the drawn one more, but I wasn't going to fuss over it because I needed to finish the sprite in time.
    What challenges did you face? Kind of like I said above, mainly the clutter and trying to translate the large-scale drawing into a tiny little pixel work, because it's pretty difficult to get details without it looking cluttered, unless you're an amazing pixel artist. XD I also wasn't sure about the colour scheme, so the colours were a little challenging for me. I'm thinking that it's a Dark/Normal type after considering that it was Psychic/Normal. My other main challenge was trying to design the mega before I could even start spriting it. It was time consuming and I'm not very good with designs... But didn't want to lose points for spriting someone else's mega design.

8. This post has been liked by:

URPG Staff

Thanks for everyone's entries, and thanks for the critique on the theme--I'll keep it in mind for in the future! I know some of the issues might have been caused by my delay in response, but I've got this thread in my subscriptions now so it'll hopefully work out better in the future!

NobleJanobii, Avalon Apostles
    Spoiler:

Creativity - 3/5
    I love Floatzel, and I really love this design! You've applied the theme on a 'mon that could totally use a Mega. You've followed the Mega theme of "bigger, stronger, longer" that Pokemon tends to use with creating its Megas. The coloring was adventurous and looks great for greens, but thematically, I think it needs a tie-in--what makes Floatzel go from orange to green? A hint to this would really help tie it in as Floatzel's mega.
    Color & Value - 3/5
    I think that you've done the green successfully for what it is, and that's saying something. Pokemon tends to use some really gross greens for their shinies, but you've chosen a nice one, and managed to find a surprisingly nicely-complimenting beige to go with it. These two contrasts are nice!

The part where contrast becomes a little more murky are on the dark reds. You have dark outlines on the outward-facing edges of the floating device, but the parts that would have dark outlines caused by shadows would be the parts where the floats touch the skin. When first looking at the sprite, it also looked like the red chest marking was part of the device. Zooming in, I see you did a little bit of darkness to differentiating them, but this should be darkened up a little to let the viewer know! The same goes for other parts of the float. You can use a lighter outline where the float would be in the light on the other sides.

I might consider a lighter outline for parts of the fins. Typically, outlines will try to take into account the color of the object they're on and what light that object's in. Look at Floatzel's base sprite, where the left side of the belly above our left foot curls up into the line of its slimming stomach. It starts off dark where it would be in shadow, and as it goes up to where the belly color would be in the light, it gets a little lighter. I think you could use some of this on the fins! Define the spots of the outline that are light with a light grey, and make only the shadows darker.

I'd darken the shadows on the red of the float a little bit, too--the part in shadow is a little more gray, but not darker, so it's hard to tell that there are shadows there behind the head from a distance. Consider some highlights and shadows on the claws, too, to help shape them a little more. Nothing big--just a line of light or a line of dark or two would make them look wicked!
    Form - 4/5
    Your forms are nice here! You've extended Floatzel's little head fin down to its nose in a nice blaze. I also like how you've elongated the arm fins, and the shapes that you've chosen for them! I think I would have considered positioning them a little differently--where the one on our right overlaps with the beige sub-fins, the green body, and the red of the float makes for a bit of a confusing first impression. I had to stare at the other arm for a moment to realize what the shapes were. Arcing this blade a little more to our right would have helped show the edges of the float without the small fins interfering with it.

I love the little claws you've scratched in on the feet--they look very menacing, and have a great shape to show that they're rounded with the perspective of where they sit.
    Technique - 2/5
    You said that scratching isn't your best area, but that's okay! What really helps me when I'm adding onto a sprite is to stop and look at what the base sprite I'm working off of does. How does it outline the figure? How does it shape its curves? On this one, I'd look at our left side of its lower body, right above our left leg, and reference that when deciding how to outline what you scratch! The biggest area I saw on this one was the elongated fins that you created. On our right one, we see some dark dotting that seems a little scattered and uncertain. I'd definitely try to outline it like they did the belly. Notice how they step in each pixel and line of the outline to give the illusion of a curve. Once you commit to having an outline, I'd suggest sticking with it unless you have a reason not to (like a part blending into another, lighting, or the seams between two things becoming intentionally unclear), so I'd love to see that outline on the fin set a little more in stone, or at least the parts you have given a bit more order!

I see you've denoted a little line that divides the fin--this is a great, subtle detail that gives it some dimension and keeps it from being a flat shape. I also appreciate how you've created the white lines in the red. These really helped keep the float from being flat, and you also curved those lines great! They wrap nicely around the illusion of a curved 3D object.

Overall - 12/20
    Overall, this was a really solid attempt, especially for someone who feels like they're not great at scratching! Making curves look nice in pixel form is a tough job, but you did great here. I think refining some of your outlining on what you scratch will help you a lot. You're on a great path, and I'd love to see more of your sprites!

Suicune's Fire, Agents of the Shadows
    Spoiler:
    Creativity - 5/5
    You mentioned having trouble with time due to having to design the Mega yourself, but you rocked it. You've created a thematically-awesome Mega that makes sense for the type you've imagined it as, and I love the additional details you've added, like the little moon crest on its head and the exaggeration of its shoulder tufts. I also love how its rounded ring on its stomach has angled into a rhombus for maximum edge.
    Color & Value - 5/5
    You chose great colors that compliment one another well, and great colors for your shadows and highlights. The colors here have a great sense of unity and like they belong together. I think the only spot that was a little unclear with coloring was just inside of the crook of the crescent--there's a dark line surrounded by pure white. I can't tell with certainty what this is, but it looks like a tiny spot left uncolored?

Your shadows and highlights, as mentioned, work great. You've got them in all of the right places, and everything seems to contrast in a way that's lovely. Nothing is murky or unclear color-wise. You've also used dark and lighter outlines in the right places--we have a clear sense of where the light is coming from thanks to your lights and darks. You also caught great little details like the shadow cast by our left arm and tuft, and the way the forward and raised arm on our right captures the light.
    Form - 5/5
    This worked fantastically in your favor. You've got the Ursaring's base anatomy all correct--thick arms, long and slender claws, punchy bear face and low grumpy eyes. I only see two very minute things here. The first is the tuft on the chest. The straight-down triangle doesn't communicate very well as a laying piece of fur, especially when all of the other instances of fur are sweeping and fluffy. Giving it a little upward curl to help it stylistically match the other fur would help clarify that a lot! The second is just the placement of the far ear--continuing the diagonal lines that stop at its base a little more would help show that it's on the far side. Right now, it kind of looks like it's sitting a lot closer to the eye that our left one is. Even just a pixel more of the cheek line extending up into the ear would help set the line of the skull and help set it further back.
    Technique - 5/5
    Your technique is great. The curves, the outlines, the gradation in shading--you've obviously had a lot of practice, if not with spriting then at least with art, color, and shading in general. The way you shape the shadow on the left knee to go upward and insinuate the leg going into the body beneath the fur without actually using a solid line is one of my favorite smallest touches. You've communicated just enough without over-detailing or making it messy, which as you said, is really hard! Fur in general in spriting is hard, but you've done great.
    Overall - 20/20
    This is a fantastic sprite that I had to look long and hard to even find small things to suggest. The work you put into it is superb, and I really appreciate it, even if using some of the time to design the mega yourself was difficult.

Final Scores for the Week:
    Took the total of all points awarded in scoring the works, then assigned points based on the % earned of total points awarded.

Noblejanobii 12/32 = 37.5, rounded to 37 points
    Graceful Suicune 20/32 = 62.5, rounded up to 63 points

Thank you guys so much for participating! If anything in your critique was unclear, let me know and I can try to visually show you! (:

Next up!

The ultimate legendary fusion! Using fusion and only fusion, fuse together at least three (or more, if you so choose!) legendary (or mythical!) Pokemon together to create one ultimate being! You can use scratched portions for tiny accents, joining pieces, or fixing perspectives of parts, but not for any large portions of the sprite! Recolors are also A-OK.

The "form" criteria will be replaced by "unity"--how well do your sprites combine to create one being?

You have until the 29th at 4PM CST!

urpg stats

You mentioned having trouble with time due to having to design the Mega yourself, but you rocked it. You've created a thematically-awesome Mega that makes sense for the type you've imagined it as, and I love the additional details you've added, like the little moon crest on its head and the exaggeration of its shoulder tufts. I also love how its rounded ring on its stomach has angled into a rhombus for maximum edge.
    Thank you so much! :D I'm really flattered with a perfect score, too! That was incredibly generous so thank you. <3

I think the only spot that was a little unclear with coloring was just inside of the crook of the crescent--there's a dark line surrounded by pure white. I can't tell with certainty what this is, but it looks like a tiny spot left uncolored?
    The design kind of has two flaps on either side of the crescent so there's not actually meant to be any skin/fur between the crescent, if you get me. It's kind of hard to tell though haha. The drawn one gets it across better lol.

The first is the tuft on the chest. The straight-down triangle doesn't communicate very well as a laying piece of fur, especially when all of the other instances of fur are sweeping and fluffy. Giving it a little upward curl to help it stylistically match the other fur would help clarify that a lot! The second is just the placement of the far ear--continuing the diagonal lines that stop at its base a little more would help show that it's on the far side. Right now, it kind of looks like it's sitting a lot closer to the eye that our left one is. Even just a pixel more of the cheek line extending up into the ear would help set the line of the skull and help set it further back.
    The chest triangle isn't meant to be a tuft of fur; it's just a colour division line haha. So yeah meant to be flat. But yeah perhaps I shouldn't have made the lines so dark so it blended better. xc Also I totally agree about the ear--I overlooked that a bit. ^^;

This is a fantastic sprite that I had to look long and hard to even find small things to suggest. The work you put into it is superb, and I really appreciate it, even if using some of the time to design the mega yourself was difficult.
    Eee thank you! That's very kind. <3 It's been a good while since I sprited so I'm glad it worked out! :D

Also I realise I should have tagged you when I posted the questions early on. XD Ah well. Anyway this theme sounds like fun! Probably a challenge too!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Hehe, like I said scratching's not my forté. I have a hard time with outlines and dithering, which is what really docked me on the points this past round. Thankfully, scratching wasn't a requirement this round which works great for me. In case you can't tell, the three pokémon used in my entry are Groudon, Regirock, and Shaymin.

Username: Noblejanobii
    Entry:
    Likes/Dislikes: Fusions were one of the first things I ever learned how do with sprites and honestly if you look at some of my earlier fusion sprites I'm proud to see how far I've come. While I typically only do two way fusions, I have done three and four way fusions before. They're definitely one of the more fun fusions to do even if they are a bit more difficult. I'd have to say I love how overall this came out. I was going for a gaia theme, something kinda like what Regigigas does but better, and this does pretty well in that. There are a few things I don't really like, like how the left foot looks, but I couldn't ever get the claws to look quite right on those. I also had a hard time making the claws on the hands stand out from the rest of the image but I think it worked out nice enough. Though I do worry the amount of shaymin's hedges I use overpower the image a bit.
    What challenges did you face?: This certainly wasn't my easiest fusion but it wasn't the most difficult one I've ever done. The fact that I only had to use three legendaries/mythicals rather than say four or five made it a bit easier. I think one of the toughest parts was picking out three pokemon to with the gaia theme I imagined. That and trying to have enough of each mon represented so that you could tell there were three, even if they weren't entirely equally represented. Definitely though, I'd say my greatest challenge was remembering everything I wanted to do. Usually I do my sprites all in one go and because of work I actually had to stop while I was working on this to do other things rather than spend several hours of just working on this, which presented a lot of creative challenges since I couldn't always remember what I wanted to do and would remember stuff after it was possibly too late to include it.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

@K'sariya Just wondering, to which extent are we allowed to scratch? For instance, can we scratch shading as well as the appropriate bits needed to join the fused parts? O:

URPG Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    @K'sariya Just wondering, to which extent are we allowed to scratch? For instance, can we scratch shading as well as the appropriate bits needed to join the fused parts? O:
    Yes, you may! I mentioned joining pieces in the theme, but shadows are also accepted!

urpg stats

14. This post has been liked by: