Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Interest Check] Comic Prompt

Okay, comic section is about dead save for one or two threads... I want to do some sort of regular event here but first I need help with ideas and to see whether or not there's even any interest in doing something here.

The PXFIRE comic section did fairly well overall- I was thinking of maybe doing something like that where we give a prompt and 1-2 weeks for each phase of the comic. Except instead of 3 phases (PXFIRE only had three weeks for us) we'd break it down further into:

- Scripts
    - Layouts
    - Sketches
    - Lines
    - Colors

I say maybe 2-3 months per prompt to give people plenty of time to work on this with critique/feedback sessions between checkpoints.

We could run this solo or allow people to work in pairs/small groups. Or we can do it 'pass it on' style where one person/group does the script, then the next person/group does the layouts, and so on.

---

I don't know. Just spitballing ideas.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

That could be interesting. If I have time I'd like to participate in this!
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    This sounds like an awesome idea! :D I'd definitely be up for it.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

First off, I loved how the Comics section for PXFIRE was handled. It was fun, it was beautiful, and at the end, I was like "aww, it's over already!?" It was a treat to participate in that. You make these comic things a blast and more and more I get drawn into it and I feel like starting my own series.

So I would be all over this.

I like the five step layout you have here. The whole process of scripting, layouts, sketches, lines, and colors seems really good. During PXFIRE, Week 3 felt a bit more challenging because lines and coloring is more work than usual, but it was still a very good challenge and I had fun doing it even though it took me well past midnight. I think this kind of five-step plan would be more comfortable to work with and it wouldn't be too hard of a push toward the end.

I also loved the way you helped coach the participants and give really helpful feedback on all the entries that people provided. My initial layout was blah but you definitely helped point me in a better direction and it worked wonders for the final product. I'm learning a lot out of this and I'm getting better at it thanks to these helpful tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    We could run this solo or allow people to work in pairs/small groups. Or we can do it 'pass it on' style where one person/group does the script, then the next person/group does the layouts, and so on.
    Hey, why not all of that? We could start the first run where everyone does their own thing, but then on run #2, we can do the thing where one person scripts, the next person does the layout, and so on. It mixes it up and provides different scenarios to challenge people with. Plus it would be neat to see how that influences the final finished product. I think trying a mix of both would be great. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    First off, I loved how the Comics section for PXFIRE was handled. It was fun, it was beautiful, and at the end, I was like "aww, it's over already!?" It was a treat to participate in that. You make these comic things a blast and more and more I get drawn into it and I feel like starting my own series.

So I would be all over this.

I like the five step layout you have here. The whole process of scripting, layouts, sketches, lines, and colors seems really good. During PXFIRE, Week 3 felt a bit more challenging because lines and coloring is more work than usual, but it was still a very good challenge and I had fun doing it even though it took me well past midnight. I think this kind of five-step plan would be more comfortable to work with and it wouldn't be too hard of a push toward the end.

I also loved the way you helped coach the participants and give really helpful feedback on all the entries that people provided. My initial layout was blah but you definitely helped point me in a better direction and it worked wonders for the final product. I'm learning a lot out of this and I'm getting better at it thanks to these helpful tips.

Hey, why not all of that? We could start the first run where everyone does their own thing, but then on run #2, we can do the thing where one person scripts, the next person does the layout, and so on. It mixes it up and provides different scenarios to challenge people with. Plus it would be neat to see how that influences the final finished product. I think trying a mix of both would be great. :3
    I was worried some people wouldn't like the whole way I ran the comics section so that each week built off the previous but it's so hard to have a comic challenge in a week that isn't absurdly stressful or just "make funny captions for this comic page made by someone else" - it's an incredibly rewarding process if you can make it to the end. But heck three weeks is never enough.

The five steps are how I break my pages down. I know the lines/colors were a bit of a push there at the end of PXFire's comic section. Ideally I'd have liked a 4th or even 5th week for that but hey, what can ya do? Thankfully this will be more for fun and more long-term for everyone. I'm hoping 2-3 months per prompt to allow people to go at a much slower pace. Instead of set deadlines for each part of the process i'm thinking they'll be more like target goals or checkpoints- less stress that way. Some people may take a bit longer in layouts or whatever and that's fine.

For a first run I think we'll start with 3 months (12 weeks) with the following 'schedule.' Of course each person/team may spend more/less on some areas.

Weeks 1-2: Scripting
    Weeks 3-5: Layouts
    Weeks 6-7: Pencils (Sketches)
    Weeks 8-9: Inks (Lines)
    Weeks 10-12: Colors

More time for Layouts since a strong layout foundation is important. Many iterations may be required to get things just right. Extra time for color cause that includes flats and shading. xD

At each checkpoint I'll have a critique/feedback sessions like I did with PXFire- just no scores or judging. All in good fun to help improve! Of course, people can post WIP stuff at any time and get feedback. The most important thing in any creative field is getting and responding to feedback. Art simply cannot exist in a bubble.

As for teams/individuals we can start with a solo run then try a team run. Then let people decide which they preferred. After that we can try a pass-it-on run.

Other things I'm thinking:

- How many pages? In our 3 week struggle most people scripted for multiple pages but obviously only finished one if even. I think 3 pages is a good number for 3 months. People can choose to do more or less if they'd like.

- It may be messy in one thread... if we do teams we can have team threads to share progress. Trying to think of a way to keep things organized without needing too many threads. Hmm....

- I need to make more comic making guides.

Would it be possible to get more people to join from that one comic site we were pulling people from? I think this could possibly be something that could bring them here. I love this idea by the way. I wish I knew how to do comics.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

I'd definitely participate in this. :3 I wouldn't mind a pass it on style, but I feel like it might be more personal if everyone had their own. Or like Neo said, we could try both ways!

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I'd definitely participate in this. :3 I wouldn't mind a pass it on style, but I feel like it might be more personal if everyone had their own. Or like Neo said, we could try both ways!
    We'll try both eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    Would it be possible to get more people to join from that one comic site we were pulling people from? I think this could possibly be something that could bring them here. I love this idea by the way. I wish I knew how to do comics.
    The site being my discord server... maybe? I could try but we'll see. I've tried to drag some here already with limited success.

And you should try/join! We'll be going through each step- for many it'll be a first! =D

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

This sounds awesome! I want to give it a shot!

Do NOT eat the banana cake arnisd's Avatar
    If I have the time, I'm certainly up for trying this out