Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Eddie Shadolurk
    Agent of the Shadows
    Heading back to AoS Headquarters
    ARPers: @LKWayvern

As I walked back with Bruce, I couldn't help but think that this all felt too easy. We had captured a Pokemon from the rift, knocked it out fairly easily, and got away quickly.

And I was right. A forceful blow to my back suddenly told me that this mission was about to get a bit more difficult. Not expecting the hit, I fell to one knee. Glancing over at Bruce, I saw he had been hit too; he was hit by another Pokemon, to be exact. He looked hurt, but I've seen him endure much worse. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a human standing over me. At this point it was evident that someone else had caught on.

I focused my eyes back to Bruce. "Lay some of Sleep Powder on these guys, Bruce." Little blue spark-like dots shot out of his bulb a few feet into the air, and starting falling as a blanket over all of us. I quickly pulled a non-rebreather mask out of my pocket and strapped it to my face. Bruce ran over to my side, as we readied ourselves to escape.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Brent Hughes + Koyla the Audino and Chavdar the Zoroark
    Avalon Apostles
    Erana
    Affected RP'ers: The Rampaging Mamoswine Squad

The sound of someone else's voice had never been so relieving to Brent in his entire life. As reinforcements arrived in the form of Camellia and Gawain. Koyla quickly retreated to Brent's side, resting her throat for a split second as Ajani and Kayla managed to stun the beast. Brent nodded at Camellia's command. Koyla would need to provide Ajani cover if they wanted to be successful in their attacks. Koyla, however needed to rest. Brent looked back over to the other building and frowned, the gray fox staring back at him. Chavdar was still proving to be useless, of course.

"Koyla," Brent said, "Do you think you can help cover Ajani?" The audino panted a few more times before managing a nod. That meant no but she was going to try. Brent dug some water out of his bag and passed it to Koyla. "Drink and gargle this. Get your throat ready. We're gonna need a lot of hyper voices." Koyla gave Brent a thumbs up before downing the water. Brent brushed his fingers over the blue orb housed in his bag. He knew Angel had used this to force Chavdar to stay with them and even act under his command, but Brent really didn't want to do that if he didn't have to. Since mega evolution was out of the question though, that might be their only option. Slinging the bag back onto his shoulder, he nodded to Koyla. "When you're ready, head in."

Koyla took a few more deep breaths before handing Brent back the empty bottle. She dashed back in and stood between Ajani and the rampaging mamoswine. Swishing her ears back, Koyla began to release another series of screeches. Putting all the force behind the attack she could, it was the only attack she had not dedicated to healing, so it was their only hope other than whatever Kayla and Gawain had in store to allow Ajani time to get prepared.

Brent looked over at the collapsed victims and sighed. "I need to get them out of the city. I know there's medical teams outside the city. Maybe I can-" Brent nearly jumped out of his skin as Chevdar materialized in front of him. The zoroark growled and pushed a finger into his chest. "What?" Brent asked. Chevdar pointed at the victims before pointing at himself. "You want to carry them?" Chevdar nodded. "Al... alright. But don't just dump them anywhere okay?" Chevdar made a mocking sound before heading over to those unconscious, grabbing as many as he could, and beginning to carry them out of the city.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    Doug Vincent
    USF Commander
    Erana

So far opening fire had only scared the mamoswine more. Just as Doug lined up what should be the final shot, a giant white owl flew down from the sky. “Oh great, Gawain’s here.” He muttered under his breath. Deep down however he was glad. The Avalon Apostles had a much better track record for peaceful solutions, something Doug was all out of right now.
    The “Knight” requested two minutes to try and stop the creature, before jumping into the fray. Doug
    “Alright men, hold you fire until I give the signal.” He said through his comms. I hope you can handle this, he thought as he kept his weapon trained on the mamoswine.

Limping slightly from a few bullet wounds, and combined with the buffeting waves of sound and the vines wrapping around it’s tusks, the Mammoth finally began to slow. When the added assault from Gawain and his owl began, the mamowine tried to face itself upward to aim at it’s new attackers, but the vines around it’s tusk held it firmly in place. Desperation flashing through it’s eyes, the pokemon raised it’s back legs as high as it could before slamming them down, sending a miniature earthquake through the town, hoping to unbalance it’s assailants.

Sylvia Wintermoon
    USF Deputy Commander
    Near the Erana Rift

Syvia’s face drained of colour as she saw the badge held before here. Crap, they’re with the special ops. “Ah, s-so sorry about that. I’ll uh, just let you get back to work then.” Sylvia said meekly. Crap crap crap. Why did I assume they were poachers.
    As the men began to pack up their gear, Sylvia rushed back to where Scout had been waiting, making a mental note to memorize all the personnel files once she got back to HQ. “Okay boy, looks like we’ve got a new lead.” After taking a moment to check in with the rest of the team, she hurried off in the direction Harrison had pointed.

Following the directions she’d been given, it wasn’t long before Sylvia found the “poachers.” The two men appeared to be fighting each other, likely over the large unconscious teal crocodile being dragged along by a bulbasaur.
    They’ve got to be the poachers, she though. But not wanting another misunderstanding, she decided to play it safe. Drawing her pistol from it’s holster and holding it at the ready, Sylvia slowly walked into view of the combatants, Scout at her heels. “Hey, you two! Cease your combat at once!”
    Still holding the gun at the ready, Sylvia reached with her left hand into her jacket with and quickly withdrew her USF badge. “USF. Now, both of you call off your attacks show me your license to handle pokemon, or else I’ll be forced to take… take you… in…” Sylvia’s eyelids began to droop. Only now did she notice one of the men had a mask over his mouth and nose, and there were blue spores floating around. I am so getting demoted for this… she though as she began to lose consciousness. Scout staggered a few steps towards the crocodile, before falling heavily to the ground, fast asleep, followed a few seconds later by Sylvia, badge and firearm dropping to the ground as she fell comatose to the earthen floor.

URPG Staff

Camellia Estrada & Ajani the Venusaur
    Avalon Apostles
    Erana
    Affected RPers: @Noblejanobii @VeloJello

Gawain arrives, and for Camellia, the Avalon Apostles leader will always be a reassuring force. Even in his focus, Ajani looks over to the knight and gives a low grunt of greeting as he charges into the fight. His familiar white owl joins him, gliding in on beautiful white feathers to deliver cascading blades of air. Soon after, Brent and Koyla follow suit, the Audino's cries rippling out to disorient the beast.

Camellia can see that it's starting to wear, but knows it's not down for the count. She sees the panic still in the creature's eyes, pupils rolling back to show its whites. Its weights shifts forward and into the vines that bind its tusks, front limbs spreading, and then it raises its hind limbs.

"Crap," Camellia whispers, and then shouts: "Brace yourselves!" The blue-haired woman steps against Ajani and braces herself against him. Tremors rock through the nearby area. Debris falls from damaged buildings that are still standing. Only by clinging onto Ajani is she able to keep her balance. They're wearing it out, though--it doesn't do nearly as much as the first round of damage did. The grassy behemoth's low-set weight, stocky limbs, and Ingrained roots lets him hold their balance, and lets him retain command over his bindings.

Camellia's relieved that they're at least getting somewhere.

She hurriedly wipes away the sweat that's threatening to drip into her eyes with the back of her palm and casts a hurried glance over to Gawain. "Let's start calming it." Gaze turns over to her flowering behemoth. She raises her voice, casts it forward in their path, especially toward Koyla, who stands between them. "Clear a path." She places her hand onto one of his fronds before stepping away, giving him distance. "You know the drill."

And so he does. He gives the Audino a chance to move--and a chance to take a much-needed break--before closing his eyes. On rooted limbs, he begins to shake the plants on his back by swaying his body. From beneath the wide, thick membrane of his rafflesia comes a shimmering green dust. The tailwind from Kayla's Air Slashes carries the Sleep Powder forward, towards the bound Mamoswine.

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

URPG Staff

My heart is in several places and all of them are fictional. u^u
    Emmett “Gawain” Marshall and Kayla.
    Avalon Apostles.
    Erana.
    ARPers: The Mamosquad.

When the ground itself rocks beneath Gawain’s feet, he worries that he might have made a mistake. It seems like earth is as much this beast’s element as the ice it’s scattered across Erana. He flinches as he hears buildings tremble, crack, shatter in the distance. Mamoswine is tearing Erana apart, and it’s fully possible that nonlethal methods will fall flat here.

But that’s no excuse not to try. Koyla’s cries continue; Brent and Chedavar are doing their best to save the wounded; Camellia and Ajani brace themselves, digging in for battle. Like it or not, Gawain is their leader, and he has to show conviction.

There’s a pause in the action as Ajani releases a Sleep Powder attack - one that Kayla uses to wheel away from the heavy green spores as a matter of caution. She looks prepared to attack again, but Gawain figures that hurting the Mamoswine will only keep it awake longer. “Hold back!” he orders Kayla, who quickly checks herself and begins circling in tight, restless arcs around Mamoswine, ever-ready to dodge a flung chunk of stone or ice. “Use Yawn, then get away from Mamoswine quick as you can.”

While Kayla gives no overt acknowledgement, she swoops down in front of Mamoswine, close enough to make Gawain’s heart race with nerves. Her beak opens wide and a bubble of pale pink energy forms there, rolling off the tip of her beak and homing in at Mamoswine’s face. Her wings then flap furiously; there’s no blades of air, just speckled white feathers fighting to catch as much air as possible and escape the danger zone before Mamoswine either retaliates or collapses.

Button by K'sariya!

URPG Stats!

Paired with noob dummy crazy kid rad friend Nar.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Nathan "Neo" Winterfield (As a Ninetales)
    Avalon Apostles
    Avalon Research Labs, Maris, Aluna
    ARPers: N/A

I was kind of limited in how I could communicate to these guys, especially considering I could barely write with only paws and no opposable thumbs. So I just wrote "keyboard please" and just as I thought, pressing buttons for letters was a whole lot easier than trying to draw them.

I tried to explain everything by typing it all out on a screen. The mission, the encounter with the other Ninetales and her Gardevoir friend, the 1,000 year curse thing and how that was supposed to be her revenge on me, and all that jazz. Real lovely stuff.

"So how does one go about undoing a Ninetales curse?" one of the researchers asked. "Is there a way?"

I shrugged. Appease the cursing Ninetales? Save their life? I didn't know, but my best guess was this an IOU kind of thing and I needed some kind of tribute offering like a "hey, you'd be screwed without me so change me back" kind of thing. Otherwise I better get used to fur, paws, and a whole lot of tails for a good, long time.

"Things haven't been going well in the meantime," the head researcher told me. "A Mamoswine is laying down havoc in Erana and it's been a real struggle to keep it under control. It's already killed multiple people, caused millions in damage, and the debate to pacify it by tranquilization or euthanizing it is causing its own problems."

Sheesh. And to think I could have ended up right in the middle of that.

"Perhaps... Operative Winterfield can possibly communicate with the Mamoswine?" one of the researchers asked. "He's the best connection between humans and Pokémon now that's he's... well, experienced both sides."

"Might be the only possible choice we have left," one of the others agreed. "He is the only negotiator capable of both human and Pokémon communication. Not to mention he could potentially translate what the Mamoswine is saying."

Well, this was definitely going to be different for a change. But if it saved lives and ended things peacefully, it was worth a shot. Maybe that cursing Ninetales would learn about it and see I wasn't such a bad guy after all and undo the curse! Maybe. Or everyone would see this as a big success and feel I should definitely stay this way. Oh boy.

I nodded, giving them a quick sign that I could roll with this plan even though there was this fun fact that it might just get me stuck this way.

"Then we should have Winterfield deployed to the strike zone and equipped with a keyboard input device," the researcher confirmed. "Winterfield, you're going to need to try and tell the Mamoswine to stand down. Find out what it wants and what humans can provide in exchange for having it cease its assault on Erana. We will be waiting and watching what you type in. Hopefully it's something we can easily fulfill without any need for lethal force."

Weird how I've gone from pacifying Pokémon by shooting them with tranquilizer darts to now chatting with them and seeing if we can become friends that way instead.

"If we're going to do this, then we need to hurry," one of the female researchers said urgently. "Get Winterfield ready for deployment, although how do we explain this to the others that we have a negotiator Pokémon capable of translating what the Mamoswine is saying?"

"We really don't have the time to explain that to the whole strikeforce, especially when they have their hands full," one of the others said. "That can wait, but this cannot."

Wow. Mass confusion. High chance of death. Heavy collateral damage. Hulking Mamoswine wrecking everything. What were we waiting for!?

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Brent Hughes + Koyla the Audino and Chavdar the Zoroark
    Avalon Apostles
    Erana
    Affected RP'ers: The Rampaging Mamoswine Squad

Brent could tell that the beast was starting to reach the end of its strength. Another strong attack would probably finish it off in some way. But then, the unexpected happened. Brent barely had time to react as the beast sent an earthquake rippling through the city. Unable to brace himself on anything in time, Brent found himself sent flying from the shock wave. A thousand thoughts flew through his mind as he tried to figure out what to do in order to prevent extreme injury. But the panic that raced through him like adrenaline blurred it all. All he could do was cover his head before he slammed into some of the debris on the ground.

A sickening crack echoed in Brent's ears and pain surged in his left arm as he let out a loud cry in pain. His vision was blurry and everything around him muddled. He blinked several times as his surroundings slowly started to come back into focus. Slowly turning his head to the side, Brent immediately winced as he could barely make out some bone sticking out of his arm. "Okay, okay, not good." His head throbbed with each movement, but Brent knew he needed to apply pressure to the wound first, at least until he could get someone else to actually treat his arm. Using his teeth, he managed to pull off his arm band and used it to apply pressure to his wound. He'd also need to immobilize his arm but for now this was the best he could do without assistance giving how much his head felt like it had become one with the cement he had body slammed.

Koyla's ears went straight up in alert when she heard Brent's scream. She balled his hands into fists, resisting the urge to run to him immediately. She had been lucky in that her Hyper Voice actually disrupted the shock wave before it could hit her. She didn't escape unscathed, but she wasn't as bad off as Brent. She prepared to release another scream when Camellia called over to her. Koyla turned her head and gave her a sharp nod before taking off towards Brent. With any luck she could heal Brent to some extent before the real technicians arrived.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Nathan "Neo" Winterfield (As a Ninetales) + Blitz the Emolga
    Avalon Apostles
    En route to Erana
    ARPers: N/A

I had gotten Blitz up to speed on what had happened before we both got on the chopper to be taken to Erana. He wasn't too crazy he had been left behind on the last mission because I thought he needed a rest since he was overworked last time. I didn't want to make him think I was abusing him like I was binge-watching the latest TV series everyone was talking about.

"You go on a mission without me and this happens?" the irritated Emolga asked me. "I thought I told you that was a bad idea! Now look at you! Tell me, Foxy, how does not listening to your pal and getting busted with a whole of tails and fur feel like!?"

"Oh yeah, like I was totally supposed to know this was going to happen," I rolled my eyes at him sarcastically. "Wasn't my fault every Ninetales doesn't come with a warning label of 'WARNING: DO NOT YANK ON TAILS. DANGER OF BEING SUBJECTED TO RANDOMIZED 1,000-YEAR CURSE."

"While I get that you didn't know, of all the possible Pokémon mishaps you could have fallen into, you sure didn't pick a very good one," the Emolga shrugged before looking away. "Usually a Ninetales is a very vengeful and spiteful Pokémon. Yanking on one of its tails is like flipping it the birdie and making mockery of them."

"Pft, these?" I asked with a cynical smile, casually waving my fan of tails around a bit. "Woop-dee-do! Oooh, a little kid pulled my tail! So bad! What a vile, murderous, demonic tail-pulling cretin of pure unholy evil! Am I really supposed to be that much of a grouchy wretch that I curse the kid for a whole bloody millennium over that? That's like cutting someone's arms off just because they put gum in your hair."

The little white and dark gray flying squirrel narrowed his eyes a bit, looking off to the side and nodded a bit.

"Well... when you put it that way..." he replied, deep in thought, "...I guess it really is over-reacting quite a bit."

Unfortunately, that didn't exactly change the situation. It just meant I had some figuring of things out to do. But in the meantime, I needed his help with a few others things.

I wanted to learn as much "backup maneuvers" from another Pokémon in the event that the Mamoswine really didn't feel like chatting with another Pokémon or if I screwed up in trying to talk to it. Which was a high possibility, although even trained Pokémon wouldn't know the magic of reciprocity like people did. But what I really think was we needed someone to find out what was driving this crazy kook into frenzy mode.

Meanwhile, said "backup maneuvers" consisted of learning exactly how to Ninetales. Blitz was pretty helpful in giving me the heads up about what fighting as a Pokémon usually consisted of. Even though he was an electric type, he had some insight on what was needed for me to cough up some fire, kick some tail, conjure up a Confuse Ray, and things like that. What a Ninetales usually likes to do to things they don't like when those funny and oh-so-irresistible 1,000 year curses really just aren't enough! While one chopper ride was definitely not going to be enough for me to play catch up on being a such a happy and vindictive multi-tailed fiery fox, it got me started and maybe with some field experience I would be okay. Blitz was helpful in the sense that I got the basics down, but let's face it, I wasn't formally trained for this stuff. It was going to take a lot more than this.

At the same time, the researchers had strapped a keyboard on me that was wirelessly hooked up to a monitor that would be watched remotely by some tactical operative or something in a safe area away from the strike zone. The only issue was I couldn't see what I would be typing on a screen, so I was hoping these guys wouldn't mind a few spelling mistakes here and there. Hey, you try typing with paws for a change!

Once I propped my front paws up on the window and peeked outside, I saw Erana in the distance. I figured the plumes of smoke and signs of chaos were a good sign no one was feeling bored down there.

Ezekiel (Zeke, Cardinal North) Star
    Order of the Sun
    Sunos, Claw's northern headquarters, Cardinal's office.
    Affected Rp'ers: N/A

Zeke let out a sigh of relief as the USF officer took the bait. Most of the time the cover worked fine, but it was always a hassle to quash rumors and investigations that risked revealing Claw's presence. Well, it was alright now. Zeke watched as Davison's team finished collecting their equipment, having caught three rotoms, and head out away from the rift. He had to admit, he was surprised the rift was still open. Normally they vanished fairly quickly. Well, it wasn't his problem. Not yet anyway.

Shutting off his monitor Zeke stood from his chair and stretched. He needed to head out and see if he could find his brother. If that gardevoir was what he thought it had been, Leo should be on his own and an easier target to try and follow to his 'secret valley.' Well, that pokemon could teleport so they'd probably meet up fairly quickly anyway, but might as well.

As he stepped out of his office the secretary sitting outside immediately stood up at attention. "Good Day, Cardinal." She said in a crisp, authoritative tone.

"You can Sit, send a message to the Southern Branch that Davison's team might need some cover in case of an investigation. Some USF officer saw them working, but took the bait with the special Ops ID. Also, please call in for a report on what my brother is doing, I'm going to be out on the field tailing him."

The secretary nodded, then re-seated herself at her desk and began sending out messages. After a moment of pressing buttons and relaying information to the tracking department she looked back up and reported, "You brother is currently on a bus heading south into the city of Sendrel. His ETA will be roughly 7 minutes."

"I see. Keep me notified if anything urgent comes up. Davison's team should be arriving through the Western Portal, most likely Erana but don't count on it. West's Mamoswine is still rampaging but I doubt for much longer. Once they're back have them go to the internal trade department, they'll have some rotoms that'll be needed by the other branches."

"As you say, Cardinal North." the secretary replied to zeke's back as he headed out toward the elevator that would lead him down to the portal station. Claw had a secret portal station in almost every city in every nation. Even some between cities, though that was mainly in the overly populated south. As Cardinal he had his own personal portal set up, which allowed him access to nearly every portal in the Claw network. Excluding the boss's offices of course. In any case it had only been a few minutes since the Cardinal had left his office that he found himself stepping out of a portal into the Claw headquarters of Sendrel.

Leo Star
    Order of the Sun
    Bus into Sendrel, cave southwest of Sendrel near Aluna Border.
    Affected Rp'ers: N/A

Leo was in fact on the verge of arriving at Sendrel. He couldn't help but wish he'd had a way to portal travel to the city, but without Gardevoir's teleportation he'd have had to take a bus to Sunos to get access to a portal anyway. Well, you gotta do what you gotta.

Many miles to the south west, Gardevoir and Ninetails had awoken from their resting. Despite Gardevoir's best intents they ended up sleeping anyway. Luckily no one had noticed the two pokemon so the pshycic pokemon had gotten a much needed rest undisturbed.

We should get moving. Gardevoir informed the fox pokemon, standing up and peering out of the crevice they were sitting in. They wanted to get back to the valley as fast as possible,

"Hold on now, I am thankful for your help with those humans, I do not have any plans to follow you further, gardevoir." The ninetales cut gardevoir off, still sitting back in the cave.

I know a safe place, if you come with me I can give you a place where hunters can't reach.

"Well, that is an appealing idea, but surely only an idea."

Gardevoir sighed, clearly it wasn't going to be so easy to convince this pokemon to come with them. Sitting back down they looked out the entrance to the crevice.

"If you are determined to help me, as it seems you are, tell me about how you have survived in this world beyond the rifts."

Gardevoir turned back to the ninetales. They'd never really gotten a chance to converse with other pokemon like this sicne coming through a rift. If it went well perhaps they could convince the ninetales to accompany them.

How long have you been in this world?

"A few weeks, the rift appeared near my den in the northern mountains. As the one the strongest fighters in my pack it was my duty to inspect it. Well, you can see how that turned out, can't you."

The northern mountains, I did not know ninetales inhabited those areas. Aren't they covered in snow and ice? Surely your pack would have preferred a more hospitable place?

"Yes well, according to the elder tales we were driven north many years ago and had chosen the place so they could hunt ice types easily. I wonder how my pack is getting along. I have nothing of other rifts appearing, but I can only assume they are."

yes, quite often in fact. Each rift brings more pokemon from our world to this one. There was one earlier today in fact, near a place called Erana.

"If only I could find another rifts... then surely I could return to my pack and our old world." The ninetales let out a huff of frustration mingled with a sense of lonely exhaustion. Gardevoir couldn't say they hadn't felt the same feelings before themself.

Many of the pokemon in the valley hope a rift will appear there one day and they can go back, but for all I know I've never heard of any pokemon being able to return to our world once they've come to this one.

"Do you know if any have tried? Surely some pokemon must have had that lucky chance to re-enter a rift, or, I fear such a thing, have the humans attempted to cross through the rifts to our world?"

Each rifts brings out new pokemon into this world, I believe no human has been able to safely get through the wary newcomers to approach a rift before it closes. They do close fairly quickly, never have they really given the chance for anyone to go back through the portal to our world.

"So these rifts are slowly pulling our world into this one. Like a pool of water slowly filling up a second puddle until it balances out, perhaps humans are somewhere being brought to our world unwillingly, like we were brought here."

If they have I haven't heard any reports of such things. Perhaps they have been kept secret by those humans who run things, but no word has reached me despite my travels.

"You did seem experienced dealing with those humans earlier, just how long have you traveled in this world?"

Well, for starters I came through a rift roughly a year and a half ago.

"Oh? Where did you come from?"

I used to live in the great coral forest in the west-

"The Great Coral Forest?!? the psychics from those lands are of legend! I didn't think you were from one of those ancient clans!"

Gardevoir gave a nervous laugh, they'd forgotten about that particular legend about their homeland. There were some great psychics there, but I'm afraid I certainly wasn't one of them. No I was often shunned for my lack of skills.

"Even so, surely your powers were amazing. You said you had a safe place, who else could have done such a thing but a great psychic? These humans are nasty and vile but too cunning to be avoided forever. Only someone like you could trick them to keep a place safe for us, for pokemon."

No really, I had help. I couldn't have done all of this alone. But does that mean you believe me? Will you come with me?

"A gardevoir from the Coral forest, even if I do truly believe I would do my pack a disservice by refusing to chance to see a work by someone the elders would whisper legends to us of."

You yourself are a powerful pokemon, just look at what you did to that human after all. You seem to put a lot of stock into a clan you've never met, one that is forever lost to us.

"You're too humble. And you don't know it's lost to us. Why if we work together surely we could find a way to travel back through the rifts."

I don't know... right now my only focus is to protect pokemon who have come to this world with my partner.

"You said you had help, who is this partner of yours? Surely they could help us discover a way to travel back."

Oh he would.. or at least he would foolishly dedicate himself to it until he ran himself into the ground. His name's Leo, and he's stupidly kind to all the pokemon he meets. I couldn't ask him to take on such a ridiculous task.

"Hmmph. Still, I want to meet this Leo. What kind of pokemon is he anyway?

Leo's not a pokemon, he's a human-

"WHAT!?!" The ninetales jumped to its feet, its fangs bared in a snarl. Gardevoir jumped as well, they were accustomed to pokemon having hostile reactions to learning Leo's identity by now.

I'm aware you don't-

"You would partner yourself with one of these vile humans?! Those things that hunt us for pleasure, torture us for knowledge, drive us as slaves to do their personal bidding?"

Leo is different! He protects pokemon! Gardevoir tried to explain, but the ninetales snarled again. Flames sparked throughout the fox's fur.

"Do not lie to me! No human exists that shows kindness to us. They see us as nothing but stupid animals to be put in a cage and tested upon. Your 'Leo' is no different. Are you under his control? Do you willingly bring other pokemon to him for whatever sick experiments he performs?"

Do not lump Leo in with those hunters and poachers that chase you! I judged him! I judged him until there was no doubt left in my mind that he would help pokemon, not hurt them!

"So he showed you kindness, and you got fooled like a lost child who runs to the first sight of warmth. Well Here's the truth, that's no kindness. It's nothing but vile, cold cunning intended to keep you on a leash like an obedient pet. Only to be kept until you're no longer of use."

Don't speak of Leo that way! You haven't met him, you too would believe in him if you would only give him a chance.

"I don't need to meet every human to know the same sick intentions and desires run through each and every one of their heads. Is this why you're so determined to give up the search for a way back? Afraid that your clan will lean the truth that you lowered yourself to a slave before the vile race known as man? Well!? Or.. perhaps you too are have been pervaded with their thoughts and nonvalues, do you too see other pokemon as beneath you? That your former clan and world nothing were but a barbaric wilderness of dumb creatures? Are you one of them?! Are you one of those cold heartless creatures that care not for family or origin? Are you a one of those monsters who'd burn everything they leave behind for no other purpose than to make it easier to control what sits in front of their eyes?!"

ENOUGH!!

The ninetales took an involuntary step back as the psychic pokemon emanated such a wave of grief and anger that the fox pokemon felt itself nearly brought to tears. Gardevoir stood before them, hands clenched in shaking fists and their head bowed. Emotions broken free from whatever internal prison they'd been locked away in radiated from their psychic's slender frame with the force of tidal waves upon an unsuspecting beach. Clearly a nerve had been struck, no, the mother of all nerves, the deepest darkest secret feelings of those who put on the brave face had been been broken into with all the subtlety of jackhammer. The ninetales could do nothing but stand there and attempt to shield their own mind from the onslaught.

Do you think I do not miss them? The brother's and sisters I lost? Do you think I don't think of them every day? See them every night in my dreams? The home I can no longer reach, thefood I can no longer taste, the loved ones that are nothing but memories now?

Do you... Do you think I wanted to come to this world?!
    And suddenly gardevoir broke down, collapsing to their knees and covering their face with their shaking hands. Sadness emanated stronger than ever as the last vestiges of resistance to their own despair broke down inside the pokemon.

They Knew... they all knew and told me not to go near it. Not to investigate the rift, But I... I hated them, I hated their strength and knowledge and wanted to have something they didn't. All I wanted was their acknowledgement, to show them all I wasn't the weakling, the failure I was. But I didn't listen... and I lost it all. Everything I loved, everything I hated and desired, everything I knew was ripped from me because I was too stupidly jealous to listen to their warnings. Alone... it left me alone and weak and without anything. I realized that... when I saw the rift close behind me I knew. I had desired everything but in my folly I had reduced myself to nothing, I had no identity, no existence in this foreign world. I was truly without anything.

There is nothing... was nothing I desired more than too return, to beg and cry and apologize to my clan for my stupidity if only it meant I could go back to a place where I wasn't so entirely alone. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't go back. And I couldn't give up on life. So all I did was go and lead an empty existence, protecting other pokemon in vain hope that it would one day appease whatever horrible fate that had lead me to this world. I didn't care what happened, I didn't care if one day I would be captured and tortured and forced to work for those people who hunted us mercilessly. I didn't have a purpose.

"I- I went too far, I'm sorry-" the nintales tried to cut in, but gardevoir didn't even seem to recognize the words, merely continuing to ramble.

But... But then... I met Leo and he gave me a purpose. Together, together we built a secret place, a place of safety where pokemon can live in peace just like in our old world. Even then and even now I'm chasing a foolish dream, living through my memories in a vain attempt to recreate what I lost. Leo is... the only thing that has given me identity in this world. Without him I'd just be an empty shell of memories. And even so all I've ever done is force him to help me chase this impossible dream...[/i]

As Gardevoir broke down in fresh tears, the ninetales could see the truth, fueled by the emotions coming from the psychic. They were alone. Just as gardevoir had said there was nothing too them in this world. Their past, their packs and clans and family, their beliefs and knowledge, their identity, the very things that had made them who they were did not exist in this world. All things were meaningless. To chase after those things that had not come through the rifts would lead only to the life that had driven this Gardevoir to this maddened state.

But... no that wasn't entirely true, surely. Even if they were nothing but memories now, they were their memories. No other living creature had them and that gave them identity, a reason to live on so that their memories would live on with them.

"Where is this Leo? If he is truly as you say, a human who shows us pokemon kindness, then we should meet him as fast as possible." The ninetales told the Gardevoir, attempting to inject their voice with a level of authority in an attempt to bring this gardevoir back to their senses.

He- the valley needed some supplies... he likely went to Sendrel, a human city, to get them. Gardevoir replied, looking up at the ninetale's sudden leadership.

A human city huh... well this Gardevoir could teleport. And they were rested up now so they should be able to escape properly if trouble did come.

"we must go immediately. I trust you'll be able to teleport us there?" Gardevoir nodded, getting to their feet and placing a hand on the fire fox's side, "Then I'll also trust you to guide us to the correct human."

With one final nod, the psychic pokemon and the fire fox silently disappeared from the cave. Leaving nothing behind them a lingering burnt smell and an air of sadness.

VPP

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    Doug Vincent
    USF Commander
    Erana

The Mamoswine’s eyes darted madly as it tried to pull itself away from the spores, but it was in vain. Shortly after, Gawain’s Togekiss added to the assault, the Mamoswine’s eyelids began to droop, as it’s struggling became weaker. In desperation, the Mammoth let lose another attack, shooting a blast of cold air towards the Venusaur, but weakened as it was, the attack dissipated before making contact, and a few moments later, the Mamoswine fell to the ground motionless, the only sign of life being the slow rise and fall of it’s chest.

Whatever that powder was, R&D would have a field day with it. Maybe I should reconsider working with a pokemon. He mused as he silently motioned for his men to prepare for containment, then approached the nearest Avalon Apostle.
    “Uhh, good job. It won’t wake up for a while right?” He said quietly, not wanting to accidentally awaken the beast.
    Walking away to a safe enough distance from the mammoth, Doug checked in on the rest of his team. As he listened over the comms his face fell. The rift was nowhere to be found, and his deputy had gone off alone and hadn’t been heard from since. “Roger that. We’ll rendezvous at the drop site once the Mamoswine is secured. Over and out.”

Trey Sunders
    Wormhole Researcher
    Sendrel

It turned out, the city center wasn’t such a good move. A large crowd had gathered to hear a man giving a speech denouncing all pokemon as unholy abominations that should not be allowed to exist. Meanwhile, TVs in a shop window showed reports of an attack on Erana by a rampaging Mamoswine. Keeping her head low so as to avoid recognition, Trey quickly completed her shopping and began to head home.
    She was about ten meters from her apartment, when she heard shouting from up ahead. More vigilantes hunting down pokemon from the sound of it. Ignoring them, Trey continued towards the door, reaching out for the handle.
    That was when the air shimmered, followed by a small spherical green bird materializing on the doorstep in front of her. Trey was stunned, both by surprise and fear. She had never been this close to a pokemon before, and she didn’t know what powers this one might have. Was it about to kill her? But the pokemon just stared curiously up with it’s big round eyes. Trey noticed it had bruises and scrapes across one side. As the two locked eyes, Trey felt strange feelings overwhelming her. Sadness, fear, curiosity. A weariness, tired and alone. Hope too, and excitement. A feeling of adventure, but also of homesickness.
    “There it is! It’s over here!” The shouts broke the spell, the bird quickly turning and launching into the air, fluttering away down the streets. From the direction of the voices came a group of seven or so people, brandishing various improvised weapons, such as slings or metal pipes. Such vigilantes were commonplace in Sendrel, as the local law enforcement was often too busy with the rifts to deal with them. They didn’t even notice Trey as they passed by.
    Normally, Trey would have stayed out of it; messing with angry mobs while defenseless was never a good idea. But all the negativity from the day had got to her, and she was still shaken from the emotions she felt emanating from the pokemon, so before she knew it, she was racing after the mob. While not entirely sure what she could do to help, she certainly wasn’t going to go back home and stand around again. If I can’t help save the world, I can at least try and make it a bit better, one step at a time.