Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sequels?

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    Yeah, making my list was pretty hard since the only non-Starter and non-Legendary Pokemon that is around the same level of popularity as Pikachu and Eevee is Lucario, which I make note of in my list. So yeah, there's definitely some reach, and I did consider using Pichu and Togepi for the hypothetical Gen 2 versions, but ultimately decided against it because Pichu is just way too redundant with Pikachu and wanted to have some variety. Also, I just noticed I made a HUGE mistake with my list so thanks for pointing it out.
    I was wondering where Gen 7 was xD. It's all good. It happens :p

and yes the Tyrunt and Amaura seem like a really good choice for Gen 6 at that as well.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    I was wondering where Gen 7 was xD. It's all good. It happens :p

and yes the Tyrunt and Amaura seem like a really good choice for Gen 6 at that as well.
    Thanks! I was considering other options (Goomy, Noibat, Honedge, Espurr, Heliptile and Litleo to name a few) but went with fossils because, again, I thought it would be interesting to start your journey with a resurrected Pokemon. Could even give the main character some cool backstory like being the child of a scientist or something along those lines.

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

They definitely seem like really good choices, and as someone who has really started to like Elekid and Magby recently, picking between them for a sequel would be really tough. The Numel/Carvanha idea is fantastic as well (and I can't really think of any other decent counterparts), but do you think they'd change the story that radically? :O
    Last edited by Blaquaza; 09-02-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    Thye definitely seem like really good choices, and as someone who has really started to like Elekid and Magby recently, picking between them for a sequel would be really tough. The Numel/Carvanha idea is fantastic as well (and I can't really think of any other decent counterparts), but do you think they'd change the story that radically? :O
    For the Numel/Carvahna thing to work, yeah, the story would have to have some major changes, I'm afraid. I'll admit that the Hoenn Let's Go! games are more joking/wish-fulfillment than the rest.

For the Numel/Carvahna thing to work, yeah, the story would have to have some major changes, I'm afraid. I'll admit that the Hoenn Let's Go! games are more joking/wish-fulfillment than the rest.
    I definitely think you could make an idea like that work, though. Have Professor Birch ask you to go undercover in Magma/Aqua when you save him because he's seen your bravery or something like that, and then when you have to battle with them, it's because you're pretending to want all of the glory of carrying out the evil deeds yourself, and then you work your way up the ranks. All it would need is a few more cutscenes with Maxie/Archie and I think they could do it without having to completely change everything we know about Hoenn. :D

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I definitely think you could make an idea like that work, though. Have Professor Birch ask you to go undercover in Magma/Aqua when you save him because he's seen your bravery or something like that, and then when you have to battle with them, it's because you're pretending to want all of the glory of carrying out the evil deeds yourself, and then you work your way up the ranks. All it would need is a few more cutscenes with Maxie/Archie and I think they could do it without having to completely change everything we know about Hoenn. :D
    I never said it was unworkable, just that it would be more derivative, and even then I only meant plot-wise, as there's literally zero reason why the region itself would have to change things like layout or species availability or anything of the sort, so idk why you thought that.

I mean, keep in mind that this is barely even speculation: there are VERY few Pokemon that aren't Starters or Legendaries that enjoy Pikachu and Eevee's level of popularity (in fact, the only one I can think of is Lucario), so making Let's Go! types of games based on other regions/Generations is very difficult purely on this principle. I mean, obviously we can't use the traditional Starters for these games because they're Starters already (plus reducing the available options form three to two would be a step back unless they bring back third versions, but even then, it appears that Let's Go! forces your starter depending on which game you bought, which would suck since the other mainline games allow you to pick the Starter regardless of version, so it would still be a huge step back), and Legendaries are obviously just way too powerful to be considered as options. One could argue they could just be nerfed, but a good chunk of the appeal of Legendaries comes precisely from how much stronger they are than normal Pokemon, so making them weaker takes away from why they're so beloved in the first place. So that leaves us with non-Starter and non-Legendary Pokemon as candidates, and they'd obviously have to be first stages in their evolutionary lines, and like I said, not that many Pokemon enjoy the level of popularity that Pikachu and Eevee get, so there would inevitably have to be some reach if sequels were to happen. And let's be real, sequels are very unlikely.
    Last edited by Arrow-Jolteon; 09-02-2018 at 06:55 PM.

I mean, keep in mind that this is barely even speculation: there are VERY few Pokemon that aren't Starters or Legendaries that enjoy Pikachu and Eevee's level of popularity (in fact, the only one I can think of is Lucario), so making Let's Go! types of games based on other regions/Generations is very difficult purely on this principle. I mean, obviously we can't use the traditional Starters for these games because they're Starters already (plus reducing the available options form three to two would be a step back unless they bring back third versions, but even then, it appears that Let's Go! forces your starter depending on which game you bought, which would suck since the other mainline games allow you to pick the Starter regardless of version, so it would still be a huge step back), and Legendaries are obviously just way too powerful to be considered as options. One could argue they could just be nerfed, but a good chunk of the appeal of Legendaries comes precisely from how much stronger they are than normal Pokemon, so making them weaker takes away from why they're so beloved in the first place. So that leaves us with non-Starter and non-Legendary Pokemon as candidates, and they'd obviously have to be first stages in their evolutionary lines, and like I said, not that many Pokemon enjoy the level of popularity that Pikachu and Eevee get, so there would inevitably have to be some reach if sequels were to happen. And let's be real, sequels are very unlikely.
    Yeah I definitely agree, Pikachu and Eevee are probably the most popular (and definitely most well-known) Pokémon alongside a few other Kanto Pokémon, so not many from the other regions have that same massive appeal, which is a shame. Outside of the starters and like you said a few along the lines of Lucario, there aren't many Pokémon as popular and marketable as the two who are already getting their own games. I do hope that if we do get a sequel that it's not Pikatwo and Eevee, but that could very well be on the table for marketing reasons.

Let's hope that their strategy is to introduce the younger players to the Pokémon Game Freak deems to be each generation's mascot, because it might just work if they start pushing those Pokémon as well. This is all assuming a sequel even happens in the first place, of course. :3

Spoiler:

How would they make a sequel of a gen 1 remake?

Have pikachu and eevee folow you as Gold/Crystal during a Pokemon Crystal remake?

A second gen sequel would work. The partners would sensibly be Snubble and Merill, the first two-second gen species to be introduced as teasers of the region in the Pikachu's Vacation short.
    I remember Pichu was featured as a teaser as well in another short but I don't want a Pichu I can't evolve.

After that, however, I feel like the format would be reaching. I just don't feel it.