Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Poipole's & Palkia's: D&D Style Game THE TECHNICAL DISCUSSION

  1. #11
    Gym Leader EmeraldSky's Avatar
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    On my way to my next adventure!
    Posts
    2,482
    @Saraibre Ryu

    That's good to know--any idea of a potential start date?
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"


  2. #12
    @EmeraldSky
    Hopefully a few weeks? I'll see how long it takes me to make up the documents. Lots of things to write up and simplify for the core game mechanics and then work on some consistent rules for racials based on typing and what not. XD

    EDIT: I've posted my work so far on the Abilities list. It is incomplete, but I figure I would show you some in-progress work now. If any terms are confusing, let me know and I'll be happy to translate!
    Last edited by Saraibre Ryu; 10-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.

    ASB Stats | VPP Stats

    Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168


  3. This post has been liked by:


  4. #13
    As an update (sorry for the double post >_>) I have completed an Abilities and Type Racials Page in Google Documents. The next thing I'll be working on is Conditions and what they all mean. I may tweak a few things for balancing purposes.

    ASB Stats | VPP Stats

    Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168


  5. #14
    So as I will be absent for the next little bit, or on sparingly, I'll be taking Pokemon requests in terms of making species specific race details, such as Size, Movement Speed, Special Speeds, senses and the like. Also which classes you guys would like to see me make up first! (I'ma get banned fo this triple post so getchu requests in!)

    ASB Stats | VPP Stats

    Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168


  6. #15
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    So as I will be absent for the next little bit, or on sparingly, I'll be taking Pokemon requests in terms of making species specific race details, such as Size, Movement Speed, Special Speeds, senses and the like. Also which classes you guys would like to see me make up first! (I'ma get banned fo this triple post so getchu requests in!)
    I would say maybe focus on the basic rules for now. The idea seems cool, but it sounds like a tremendous amount of stuff and mechanics are going into it, which might make things complicated and make the rules seem intimidating.

    I just feel the more complicated something gets, the more I tend to shy away from it. I'll admit, I'm already lost with the Abilities and Type Racials stuff and I have no clue what any of that means. Maybe these could be "expansion pack" things we could add later after we've had a go playing with the basic rules and components first?

    It's up to you, but from personal experience, I just find this is the better way to do things. Start with the basic package, see what can be added later, and go from there. Otherwise everyone is just overwhelmed at the start.

    Making it double with Caite-Chan!

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkchaser Cinccino View Post
    I would say maybe focus on the basic rules for now. The idea seems cool, but it sounds like a tremendous amount of stuff and mechanics are going into it, which might make things complicated and make the rules seem intimidating.

    I just feel the more complicated something gets, the more I tend to shy away from it. I'll admit, I'm already lost with the Abilities and Type Racials stuff and I have no clue what any of that means. Maybe these could be "expansion pack" things we could add later after we've had a go playing with the basic rules and components first?

    It's up to you, but from personal experience, I just find this is the better way to do things. Start with the basic package, see what can be added later, and go from there. Otherwise everyone is just overwhelmed at the start.
    As I said in the first post, rules for how the game would work are based on D&D 5th Edition. I can post/write up the basic information for those who have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, and post some helpful videos (Bless Handbooker Helper) to explain the basic mechanics. Most mechanics are based mostly for combat, as much as I tried to lean more towards the role play aspect of things. It was my impression those who knew a bit of how D&D works would be most interested in the project, but that was an oversight on my part, that I will correct in the next few days.

    That being said, you do have a point, and might be better to first figure out who is interested in this, and has NOT played D&D before, vs those who have. For those who have, what I've listed will make a lot of sense. Those who haven't, it is, as you say, may be a little scary. Never fear though, it's really not as intimidating as it looks, I just have a tendency to make things look like that while I'm scaling back. Story of my life really.

    ASB Stats | VPP Stats

    Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168


  8. #17
    We will take on the sky
    Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,194
    Bruh. Yeah. Duh I want to play. D&D rocks my socks all the way off.

    Double agents with Noblejanobii

  9. #18
    @Suicune's Fire Great to see you're on board!

    I have come up with an idea to help those who haven't played D&D before understand the fundamentals of character creation and all the technical stuff with that. I'm going to run an Alpha thread with a small story tied to the larger one I have in order to help ease people into it. For those who already know how to play D&D, it would be great if they could help people along. I'm going to try and make the process as painless and as unintimidating as possible. This way I can finish simplified class mechanics, work on Pokemon based racials and see if I need to alter anything for a forum setting.

    ASB Stats | VPP Stats

    Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168


  10. #19
    We will take on the sky
    Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,194
    Yaaas girl!

    Yeah, sure, I'd be willing to help people. I suppose it depends how much of 5e you plan to carry over. The Critical Role team have been releasing helpful few-minute episodes of a series called Handbooker Helper which details basic rules and also advises on quick builds.

    Double agents with Noblejanobii

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Yaaas girl!

    Yeah, sure, I'd be willing to help people. I suppose it depends how much of 5e you plan to carry over. The Critical Role team have been releasing helpful few-minute episodes of a series called Handbooker Helper which details basic rules and also advises on quick builds.
    Oh I know! I’ve got some relevant ones linked in the first post. I’m making simplified version of the classes so I’m not sure if the quick build episodes will be entirely relevant yet, but they are still helpful. There is a lot of technical I have to simplify. XD

    ASB Stats | VPP Stats

    Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •