Pikachu Flies Again for Thanksgiving!

Pikachu is ready to fly this Thanksgiving!
    It has been a Thanksgiving tradition to turn on the TV and set it to Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in my household. That is because every year I look forward to seeing Pikachu fly high in the New York skies along side with other iconic characters. This year will be no different as Pikachu takes flight for the 2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade.
    Pikachu along side with other famous characters will help bring in Christmas this year. This year’s parade has plenty of classic characters such as Charlie Brown and Ronald McDonald. There are a few newcomers such as Goku who will be sharing the skies with Pikachu and others. The parade ends with the arrival of Santa Claus to wish parade goers a thankful Thanksgiving and ring in the Christmas season.
    Pikachu has been in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade for eighteen years. The balloon has had a few different variants from a simple Pikachu balloon in 2001. In 2006, a new Pikachu balloon was made where it features a Pikachu with light up cheeks chasing after a Pokeball. Pikachu was joined by Zekrom and Reshiram floats to tie in with the release of Pokemon Black & White in 2010. The current version of the balloon was introduce in 2014. This balloon features Pikachu wearing a festive hat and holding a Pikachu snowman.
    The current version of the Pikachu balloon is as tall as a four story building and requires 90 handlers. Each Pikachu balloon handler is decked out in yellow and work hard to lead Pikachu down the parade route.
    Excited to see Pikachu in this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade? I know that I am! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    The post Pikachu Flies Again for Thanksgiving! appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Seeing these on TV just doesn't beat seeing them in real life. When you're standing there, looking up and just being overwhelmed by the sheer size of them, you're just thinking "dang, how did mankind make these possible?" But if you do go, GET THERE EARLY because spots fill up fast and you don't want to be all the way in the back. Although even if you don't get a front row spot, it's not like you'll miss seeing the balloons, that's for sure!

I'm hoping the wind won't be an issue this year. Unfortunately they can't fly these if it's too strong and I've heard a few rumors that it might be a problem tomorrow...

3. This post has been liked by:

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I've always wanted to see this in real life. I also wonder what it would be like being in the buildings and just seeing these float by..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Beautifly View Post
    Seeing these on TV just doesn't beat seeing them in real life. When you're standing there, looking up and just being overwhelmed by the sheer size of them, you're just thinking "dang, how did mankind make these possible?" But if you do go, GET THERE EARLY because spots fill up fast and you don't want to be all the way in the back. Although even if you don't get a front row spot, it's not like you'll miss seeing the balloons, that's for sure!

I'm hoping the wind won't be an issue this year. Unfortunately they can't fly these if it's too strong and I've heard a few rumors that it might be a problem tomorrow...
    I can attest to this. I love seeing this on the TV each year. It’s something awesome to look forward to. That just doesn’t beat seeing it in person. I got to see not the current one, but the previous one in person back in 2011. The one that had the cheeks light up. Luckily I got to decide between 2011 with limited choices or 2012 for much better options and places. I’m SOOOOO god I went with 2011. Not only were things set out well. The parade (which we got there early for and STILL people push you to get ahead and to the front) was awesome and I got to see it all well and good. Craziest one was this guy that kept holding his arm out in front of us to try and record things. My dad got annoyed and pulled his out and started doing it to the other guy. Needless to say, the guy got the idea. Cause he stopped right after. XD The following year? It was my first lung collapse the month before AND the Pikachu balloon was flying with the ears deflated. So I’m so glad I chose to go in 2011.

Yeah I heard winds are supposed to be near 10-20mph tomorrow in New York. So hopefully it won’t be THAT bad until later in the day. It’s rainy up there right now from what I hear. So let’s hope for the best!
    @Scytherwolf they do have places like that, but most are set like attractions. So you have to buy the tickets to places like that a YEAR or more in advance. They can cost upwards to $600 for a place. That usually includes drinks, food, and a place to sit. Now that’s all based off what I looked for in 2011, so there could be some price changes or such since. It all looks fun though! One thing we all miss out on is the Macy’s show on the street floor unless you are actually there for that....which is even more pricey XD.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The applause, applause, applause~ MC Elesa's Avatar
    Editor-in-Chief

Senior Administrator

Every year I look forward to watching the parade just to see the Pikachu float. The newscasters are always so bad at describing Pokemon and Pikachu. Though, the fact that it has been twenty plus years and Pikachu still has a place in pop culture to still be in the parade makes me so happy that they are even talking about it.

I also love the handlers. Those guys are the real heroes. Leading Pikachu through the streets of New York on a cold morning. Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Beautifly View Post

I hope so too. I am really worry about the parade tomorrow.
    Currently Playing: "CHRISTMAS!!!!"

By Neo Emolga