View Poll Results: Should Wild Pokémon in the Overworld Return?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 83.33%
  • No

0 0%
  • Either's Fine

2 16.67%

Thread: Should Wild Pokémon in the Overworld Return?

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Should Wild Pokémon in the Overworld Return?

Now that Let's Go has been out for a little while, and Gen VIII is still some time away, there's always time for speculation about how Let's Go could influence the main series. One possible way is taking the idea of having wild Pokémon appearing in the overworld, rather than the random encounters we've had since the franchise started. There's obviously benefits (the world looking more alive with all the Pokémon running around) and drawbacks to both (Having wild double/horde battles might be a problem, for example). What side of the fence do you sit on?

Personally, though I'm not too fussed, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more Pokémon in the overworld. It definitely does make it feel like more is going on in the overworld, and it's nice to be able to see a Shiny Pokémon, even the ones that look quite similar, clearly in the wild due to the colour difference and intense sparkling. I'm also a sucker for nostalgia and tradition, so if we keep the formula the same regarding wild batles I wouldn't be too upset either.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

1ąą=1 - Power of Destiny Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    I'm all in favor of Overworld Encounters instead of the Random ones in tall grass and caves! It lets you decide whether you want to deal with wild mons or not. And now Repels are out, Lures are in LMAO

Tho I've read somewhere that future regions should be larger now with this implementation, since current ones can feel cramped. I mean, the route between Celadon-Saffron? Very small! XD

Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    [email protected] (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

3. This post has been liked by:

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire Magneton View Post
    I'm all in favor of Overworld Encounters instead of the Random ones in tall grass and caves! It lets you decide whether you want to deal with wild mons or not. And now Repels are out, Lures are in LMAO

Tho I've read somewhere that future regions should be larger now with this implementation, since current ones can feel cramped. I mean, the route between Celadon-Saffron? Very small! XD
    You're absolutely right there, a lot of Kanto's routes are strangely sized (either long stretches of paths/fence mazes or weirdly short), which I think will definitely be sorted out with the refinement we've seen in recent generations. I just love how alive they'd make the overworld; imagine seeing lots of wild Pokémon along a really long, sprawling route, it'd be great! :D

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Yes!! I was very skeptical about this idea. I thought it would make the game more boring seeing the Pokemon before encountering it and that you'd be able to avoid Pokemon too easily. But it actually works great! Sometimes you can't avoid Pokemon cos they trap you or there's too many. And the overworld Pokemon look fantastic and make the world seem more alive. This is probably my favourite let's go feature and I really hope thi it's in the next game!!!
    GCEA

6. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

Love the Overworld Pokémon for sure. Allows me to see the ones I want to go for rather than make it trial and error through random encounters. I would like them to bring back being able to battle wild Pokémon for exp, though. Nothing wrong with grinding to make sure you're ready for anything or if you want to train a new member of the team. But if you already battled every trainer around and you're out of Poke balls... not much you can do then.

8. This post has been liked by:

N7, Green, Sacred Fire...too many names Ho-Oh's Avatar

I have yet to play the game, but it looks amazing. I do want to see overworld pokemon return but in a more linear game like the main games. Let's Go looks so light to me.

·»There's no advantage to hurrying through life«·
    Dive on into the Sword and Shield Trade Thread

Absolutely! I love the overworld encounters.

As previously stated it brings the overworld more to life, making the experience more realistic and is a lot easier and more effective method than repels to encounter and avoid Pokemon at one's own descretion.

I'm, however, not a fan of the encounters, themselves, the Go/Safari style. It's a level grinding handicap so I was quite relieved to see wild battles in the trailer I saw of Sword and Shield. Or at least I'm pretty sure I did.