Senior Moderator

PXR Christmas Advent Calendar: December 20th

There'll be parties for hosting
    Marshmallows for toasting
    And caroling out in the snow
    There'll be scary ghost stories
    And tales of the glories of
    Christmases long, long ago...

Good morning (or good evening), everyone! Today I want you to get a hot drink (or a cold one, if it's summertime for you), gather 'round, and enjoy some "tales of the glories"--in the form of Pokemonized folktales.

These tales were adapted from real tales all over the world, so I will include a link to the actual tale I Pokemonized if you would like to read it (or watch it)!

I hope you enjoy my Pokemon renditions of these well-known and not so well known tales--Merry Christmas!

Spoiler:
    The Shining Goldeen

Once upon a time, there lived a king who lost his sight from a terrible disease.

Understandably, he was very unhappy, and became even more so as the months went by, and it didn't help that all the best healers the land were unable to cure him. The poor king grew so thin from misery that everyone thought he was going to die, and the prince, his only son, thought so too.

So there was great rejoicing through the land when a traveler arrived in a boat down the river Tohjo. After asking around and learning why everyone looked so glum, he declared that he was court physician to the king of a far country, and would, if allowed, examine the eyes of the blind king. He was immediately admitted into the throne room, and after a few minutes of careful examination, announced that the case, though very serious, was not quite hopeless.

Somewhere in the ocean, he said, existed a Shining Goldeen. If someone could manage to catch this Pokemon, he would prepare an ointment from its blood which would restore the king's sight. He decided to wait a hundred days, but if the Goldeen was still uncaught when that time was up, he would return to his own master.

The next morning the young prince--we'll call him Kaitou--set forth in quest of the fish, taking with him a hundred people, each one carrying a net.

An impressive fleet of boats criss-crossed the oceans of the world. For three months they worked diligently from sunrise to sunset, but though they caught a zillion Goldeens, not one of them shone. 99 days came and went, and even Prince Kaitou entertained the idea of giving up.

Finally, he decided to go cast his net out himself, one last time. He got the shining Goldeen with hours to spare!

But the Goldeen looked up at him with such sad Growlithe eyes that he could not bring himself to kill it. So he picked up the shining Goldeen, threw it back, then began his journey back to the palace. When he arrived home, he found his father with a high fever, and he refused to believe the story.

The king was so mad, he ordered Prince Kaitou's life in exchange for the Goldeen.

The queen, on the other hand, didn't feel Kaitou deserved to die for what he did. That night, while everyone else slept, she disguised him in common clothes, filled his pockets with gold, and put him on board a ship which was sailing that night for a distant island. Before the ship left, she told Prince Kaitou that he was to take no one into his service who desired to be paid every month.

Now, Prince Kaitou thought his mother's advice rather odd. If the servant had to be paid, he did not understand what difference it would make whether it was by the year, by the day, or by the month. However, he knew that his mother was wiser than he, so he promised he would do what she said.

Once he arrived on the island a few days later, he bought the prettiest house he could find. Then servants came offering their services; but as they all said that they had to be paid at the end of every month, Prince Kaitou, who remembered his mother's words, reluctantly turned them all away. Then one morning, a young girl appeared and asked that the prince hire her. She told Prince Kaitou that at the end of a year he could pay her as he saw fit. Prince Kaitou was pleased, and took the girl for his servant.

Now, although no one would have guessed it from the look of the east end of the island, the west was a complete desert, thanks to the ravages of a horrible monster which came up from the sea, and devoured all the corn and Tauros.

The king had sent hundreds of soldiers, archers, and mages to try and kill it; but, somehow, they all fell asleep at the moment that the monster appeared. Finally, heralds were sent throughout the island to offer a great reward to the one who could slay the monster.

As soon as the girl--we'll call her Aisha--heard the news, she went straight to the palace, and asked the king what reward would be given. The king replied he would give the princess' hand in marriage and anything else he wanted.

Aisha told the king it would be better to let Prince Kaitou have the princess, and a share of the royal treasury every year. The king agreed, and they drew up a scroll outlining their agreement. That night, Aisha traveled down to the shore to watch, but, before she set out, she ate a herb that had the equivalent of several cups of coffee, so she would not doze off. Then she hid herself behind a large rock and waited.

Around midnight, a swell seemed to rise on the water, and, a few minutes later, a hideous chimera stepped noiselessly onto the rocks. It walked stealthily up towards the fields, but Aisha was waiting for it, and, after a bit of a battle, plunged her sword into the soft part behind the ear. The creature staggered and gave a loud cry, and then rolled over dead, with its feet in the sea.

Aisha watched for a little while, in order to make sure that the chimera was dead. After she was satisfied that it was dead, she cut off a bit of the chimera's fur. She gave the fur to Prince Kaitou, and bid him to show them to the king and say he was the one that killed the chimera.

Prince Kaitou had some concerns about potentially lying to the king, but Aisha assured him she had a reason. So Prince Kaitou did as Aisha said, and the king was so delighted at the news that he begged Prince Kaitou to marry the princess right then and there. But Prince Kaitou refused, saying that all he desired was a ship which would carry him to see the world. When he and Aisha embarked on their adventure the next day, they found tons of rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds and pearls in the cargo hold--a gift from the king.

So they sailed, and sailed, and sailed some more; until they reached the shores of where Vermillion City is today. Aisha went into town to find out what sort of a place it was. After some hours she returned, saying that she heard that the king's daughter--we'll call her Takara--was the most beautiful princess in the world, and that Prince Kaitou would do well to ask for her hand.

Prince Kaitou listened to this advice, and taking some of the finest necklaces in his hand, he mounted a splendid Rapidash, which Aisha had bought for him, and rode up to the palace, closely followed by his faithful attendant.

The king happened to be in a good mood, and they were readily admitted to the throne room. Prince Kaitou lay down his offerings before the throne, hoping to Arceus that that was enough for the king to grant him Princess Takara in marriage. The king replied after an uneasy silence...

"Young man, I will give you Princess Takara's hand in marriage, if that is your wish; but I must warn you you that she has already married many other young men, and not one of them lived to see the day after."

Prince Kaitou did think, and was so frightened that he almost went back to his ship without any more words. But just as he was about to withdraw his proposal, Aisha whispered...

"Fear nothing, but take her."

So Prince Kaitou and Princess Takara were married that night.

After the festivities died down, they went to their rooms for the night. The moon shone bright, and Prince Kaitou walked to the window to look out upon the river and upon the distant hills, when he saw a silken shroud neatly laid out on a couch, with his name embroidered in gold thread across the front.

Horrified at the spectacle, he turned his head away, and this time he saw a group of men digging busily beneath the window. It was a strange hour for anyone to be at work, and what was the hole for? It was a curious shape, so long and narrow, almost like...his own grave!

The shock of the discovery rendered him speechless, yet he stood fascinated and unable to move. Just then, a small Ekans crawled out from under table, and wriggled quickly towards him. But Aisha was watching for anything out of the ordinary, and she grabbed the Ekans and killed it.

The king did a double take to see Prince Kaitou alive, and ordered the hole filled. It turned out the Ekans had put a curse on Princess Takara, and with it dead, the curse was gone. She lived very happily with Prince Kaitou. The days passed swiftly in hunting in the forests, or sailing on the broad river that flowed past the palace, and when night fell she would sing as she played her harp, or Prince Kaitou would tell her stories of his homeland.

One evening a messenger from Prince Kaitou's homeland came, and informed Prince Kaitou that his father had died. A great ship was prepared, and Prince Kaitou returned home with Princess Takara.

In spite of her grief, the queen was overjoyed to welcome her son home, and commanded the palace to be hung with splendid finery to welcome the bride. The people expected great things from their new sovereign, for they had suffered much from the harsh rule of the old one, and crowds presented themselves every morning with petitions in their hands, which they hoped to persuade King Kaitou to grant. He decided each case justly, yet fairly, and it was agreed that he had great wisdom.

Then one night, Aisha came to him, and asked permission to return to her own land. Although he was sad to see her go, King Kaitou told Aisha to take what she wished, for without her, he would have long ago been dead.

It was only then that Aisha revealed that she was the shining Goldeen!

real tale

Spoiler:
    The Faithful Fair One

(as performed by Ash, Misty, Brock, and Serena)

There was once a king’s daughter so beautiful that they named her Aurelia, meaning "the golden one" Her hair was unlike any in the world, soft and fine, and falling in waves down to her feet. She always wore it like this, loose and flowing, crowned with a wreath of flowers; and though such long hair was sometimes inconvenient, it was so beautiful, shining in the sun like waves of gold, that everybody agreed she fully deserved her name.

Now, there was a young king of a neighboring country who was very handsome, very rich, and wanted nothing more than a bride to make him happy. He had heard much about Princess Aurelia--who was often called "The Faithful Fair One" in the rumors--that eventually, without even seeing her, he fell in love with her to the point that he could neither eat nor drink, and resolved to send an ambassador immediately to demand her in marriage.

So he ordered a magnificent entourage--more than a hundred Rapidashes and a hundred men--in order to bring him Aurelia, the Faithful Fair One, who, he never doubted, would be only too happy to become his queen. He was so confident in her agreeing to his proposal, he redecorated the whole palace, and had made enough gowns to last a lady for a lifetime.

But when the ambassador arrived and delivered his message--either Princess Aurelia was in a bad mood, or the offer did not appear to be to her liking--she returned her best wishes to His Majesty, but she had no desire to be married, thank you very much. She also, declined all of the presents the king had sent her; save for a box of glass pins, which were worth a lot in that land.

When the ambassador returned unsuccessful, all the court was stunned, and the king himself began to cry like a child.

Now, among the distinguished residents of the court was a fine young gentleman named Avenant, beautiful as an angel, and so friendly and wise that the king confided everything to him; and everyone loved him, save for those who were jealous of his good fortune. These people--who will not be named--heard him say “If the king had sent me to fetch the Faithful Fair One, I know she would have come back with me,”

They told the king about this, and it irritated the king so much, that he ordered Avenant imprisoned in a high tower for the rest of his life. When the guards arrested Avenant, he protested the whole time what he had done to deserve a harsh punishment, but received no answer.

They mistreated him in the dungeon, and then left him, with nothing to eat and only water to drink. This did keep him alive for a few days, during which he begged and pleaded to know why he had been imprisoned, and a chance to defend himself against the supposed charge.

The king happened to pass by the tower, and with a twinge of regret in his heart, he flung open the door of the tower, and called for Avenant.

"Sire, what have I done to deserve this punishment?”

“You have mocked me and my ambassador; for you yourself said if I had sent you to fetch the Faithful Fair One, you would have been successful and brought her back.”

“I did say it, it was true and I do not regret saying so. I would have told her so much about your majesty and your various high qualities, which no one knows as well as I do, that I am sure she would have returned with me.”

“I believe it.” said the king, with an angry look at those who had spoken ill of his favorite; he then pardoned Avenant right then, and took him back with him to the court.

After having supplied the famished young man with as much food as he could eat, the king admitted him to a private audience, and said...

“I am as much in love as ever with the Faithful Fair One, so I will take you at your word, and send you to try and win her for me.”

“Very well--I will depart tomorrow.”

The king, overjoyed with his willingness and hopefulness, would have furnished him with a still more magnificent entourage than the first ambassador; but Avenant refused to take anything except a good Ponyta to ride, and letters of introduction to Aurelia’s father. The king embraced him and eagerly saw him off.

Our hero rode carefully on the road, pondering every possible means of persuading the Faithful Fair One to marry the king; but, even after several days’ journey towards her country, no idea had come to his mind.

One morning, he came to a great meadow with a stream running through it, where trees of all kinds stood. It was such a pleasant, rippling stream that he dismounted and sat down on the banks. There he spotted a large shining Magikarp which had somehow thrown itself out of the water, and now lay sputtering and flopping in the grass. Avenant felt sorry for it, so he carefully picked it up and put it back into the stream. No sooner had the Magikarp touched the water did it speak to him in the words of humans:

“Avenant, I thank you for your good deed. I will reward for this one day.”

With that, the Magikarp swam down to the bottom of the stream, leaving Avenant very much astonished, which is understandable when a Pokemon suddenly speaks to you!

The next day, he found a Murkrow being chased by a Braviary, which would have swallowed him up in no time. So taking his bow, which he always carried, he shot the Braviary down from the sky...

[Brock proceeds to shoot an arrow of his own]

...and the Murkrow, relieved to be rescued, perched safely on a tree.

“Avenant, you have generously saved me, a poor Murkrow. I am not ungrateful, and I will reward you one day.

“Thank you, good Murkrow--may we meet again!”

He came to a thick forest, so dark with the shadows of early morning that he could hardly find his way, he heard a Noctowl hooting, like it was in danger. She had been caught by nets spread by birdcatchers to trap Fletchlings, Taillows, and other small bird Pokemon. So he took out a knife, carefully cut the net, and let the Noctowl go free. She went sailing up into the air, but immediately returned hovering over his head on her shining gold wings.

“Avenant, at dawn the birdcatchers would have been here, and I would have been caught and killed. I have a grateful heart; so I will reward you one day.”

After this, Avenant had no further adventures on his way to the kingdom of the Faithful Fair One. Once there, he dressed himself with the greatest care, in silver brocade, and a hat adorned with plumes of red and white. He threw a rich mantle over it all, and carried a little basket that held a lovely little Growlithe, an offering of respect to Princess Aurelia.

He presented himself at the palace gates, where, even though he came alone, his demeanor was so dignified and graceful, so altogether charming, that every one paid him the highest respect, and was eager to run and tell the Faithful Fair One, that Avenant, another ambassador from the king her suitor, awaited an audience.

“Avenant! That is a pretty name; perhaps the young man is pretty too.”

“So beautiful, that while he stood under the palace window we could do nothing but gawk at him.”

Princes Aurelia asked her ladies to bring her robe of blue satin to comb out her long hair, and adorn it with a crown of flowers; to give her her shoes, and her fan.

“Also, take care that my chamber is clean and my throne well dusted. I wish to appear as is appropriate to one known across the world as the Faithful Fair One.”

With that, she sat down on her throne of ivory and ebony, and gave orders for her musicians to play, but quietly, so as not to disturb conversation.

[Ash and the girls start a quiet song for effect]

And so, shining in all her glory, she admitted Avenant to her presence.

He was so dazzled that at first he could not speak: but then he found the words to speak again, and delivered his speech to perfection.

“Gentle Avenant, your arguments are very strong, and I am inclined to listen to them; but you must first find for me a ring, which I dropped into the river about a month ago. Until I recover it, I cannot listen to any propositions of marriage.”

Avenant, surprised and disturbed, made her a profound reverence and returned to his room, taking with him the basket and the little Growlithe, whose name was Hunter, which she refused to accept. All night long he sat there, wondering...

“How can I ever find a ring she dropped into the river a month ago? She has set me an impossible task.”

“My dear master, nothing is impossibe to one so young and charming as you are: let us go at dawn to the riverside.”

Avenant patted him, but said nothing more until, worn out with grief, he slept. The next morning, he and Hunter got ready, and made their way to the river.

Imagine their surprise to see the shining Magikarp from before with a sapphire ring in its mouth!

Avenant took the ring gratefully and returned to the palace with Hunter, who scampered about in great glee. Requesting an audience, he presented Princess Aurelia with her ring, and begged her to accompany him to his master’s kingdom. She took the ring, looked at it, and thought she was dreaming.

“A Legendary must have assisted you, fortunate Avenant,”

“Milady, I am only fortunate in my desire to obey your wishes.”

“Obey me still--there is a prince named Galifron, whose proposal I have refused. He is a giant as tall as a tower, who eats a man as a Parchirisu eats a nut: he puts a catapult on his back instead of a bow; and when he speaks, his voice is so loud that everyone near him becomes deaf. Go and defeat him, and bring me his head.”

Avenant was thunderstruck; but after a time he recovered himself.

“Very well, milady. I will likely die in the attempt, but I will die like a brave man. I will depart immediately to fight the giant Galifron.”

Princess Aurelia, tried everything to tell him not to go, but all in vain. Avenant armed himself and set out, with Hunter at his side.

“Take heart, master! While you attack the giant, I will bite his legs: he will stoop down to strike me, and then you can knock him on the head.”

Avenant smiled at the Growlithe’s spirit, but he knew it was useless.

When he arrived at the castle of Galifron, he found the road all strewn with bones, and carcasses of men, women, children, and Pokemon. Soon he saw the giant walking. His head was level with the highest trees, and he sang in a terrific voice –

Thoir dhomh naoidheanan gu sgrios;
    Tuilleadh - barrachd - barrachd - barrachd
    Fireannaich is boireannaich, agus maoth cruaidh;
    Na h-uile an t-saoghail a 'cumail gu leňr.

To which Avenant replied, in the language of magic, to the same tune –

Avenant féidir leat a fheiceáil anseo,
    Tá sé ag teacht chun pionós a ghearradh ort:
    Bí sé tairiscint, a sé deacair,
    A mharú dhuit, fathach, tá sé go leor.

Hearing these words, the giant took up his massive club, looked around for the singer, and, perceiving him, would have slain him on the spot, had not a Murkrow, sitting on a tree close by, suddenly flown on him and pecked out both his eyes. Then Avenant easily killed him and cut off his head, while the Murkrow, watching him, said...

“You shot the Braviary who was pursuing me: I promised to reward you, and today I have done so. Now we are even.”

“No, it is I who am in your debt, Sir Murkrow."

After hanging the giant's head to his saddle-bow, he mounted his Ponyta, and rode back to the city of the Faithful Fair One.

There everybody followed him, calling...

“Here is brave Avenant, who has killed the giant,”

...until Princess Aurelia, hearing the noise, and fearing it was Avenant himself who had died, started trembling; and even when he appeared with Galifron’s head, she trembled still, although she had nothing to fear.

“Milady, your enemy has fallen, so I trust you will accept the hand of the king my master.”

“I cannot, unless you first bring me a vial of the water of life, which Darkrai has stolen, and taken to  the underworld. It is eighteen miles long, and guarded at the entrance by two Hydreigons. Within it is a pit, full of Skorupis, Salandits, and Arboks, and at the bottom of this place flows the sping of the Water of Life, stolen by Darkrai from heaven. Those that have died will live again if bathed in it, the ugly become beautiful, and if already beautiful, beautiful forever. If they are old, they become young again; and if they are young, they will be young forever."

“Milady, you are already so beautiful that you do not need it; but I will still obey you, though I know I will never return.”

So he departed with his only friends – his Ponyta and his faithful Growlithe Hunter; while all who met him looked at him compassionately, pitying that so beautiful a man was bound on such a hopeless errand. But, however kindly they addressed him, Avenant rode on and said nothing, for he was too sad at heart.

He reached a mountainside, where he sat down to rest, leaving his Ponyta to graze, and Hunter to chase the Beautiflies. He knew that the the underworld was not far off, yet he looked like one who sees nothing.

Finally he spotted a rock, as black as night, where there came a thick smoke; and in a moment appeared one of the two Hydeigons, breathing out fire from all three of its heads. It had a black, blue,  and purple body, claws, and a long tail. When Hunter saw the monster, the poor Growlithe ran in terror. But Avenant resolved to die bravely; so, taking a vial which the princess had given him, he prepared to descend into the cave.

“Hunter, should it come to pass that I die here, fill this vial with my blood, and carry it to the Faithful Fair One, and then to the king my master, to show him I have been faithful to the very end.”

Just then, the shining Noctowl from before arrived, and perched on a hollow tree.

“You cut the net that trapped me, and I vowed to reward you. Now is the time. Give me the vial, for I know every corner of the heavens, the mortal realm, and the underworld – I will bring you the water of life.”

Delighted beyond words, Avenant gave the Noctowl his vial; the Noctowl flew with it into the grotto, and in less than an hour returned, Avenant thanked her with all his heart, and joyfully returned to the city.

The Faithful Fair One had nothing more to say. She agreed to accompany him back, with all her retinue, to his master’s court. On the way there, she saw so much of him, and found him so charming, that Avenant might have married her himself if he had the choice; but he would not have betrayed his master for all the beauties under the sun.

Eventually, they arrived at the royal city, and the Faithful Fair One became his queen. But she still loved Avenant in her heart, and often said to the king her lord...

“If it wasn't for Avenant I would not be here; he has done all sorts of impossible deeds for my sake; he has fetched me the water of life, and I will never grow old – in short, I owe him everything.”

She praised him like this so much and so often, that eventually the king became jealous; and though Avenant gave him no reason to do so, he locked him away in the same high tower from before – but with irons on his hands and feet, and a cruel jailer besides, who fed him with bread and water. His sole companion was his faithful Growlithe Hunter.

When the Faithful Fair One heard of this, she scolded her husband for his ingratitude, and then, throwing herself at his knees, and pleaded that Avenant might be set free. But the king only said, “She loves him!” and refused her request. Before long, Princess Aurelia fell into a deep depression.

When the king saw it, he thought she did not care for him because he was not handsome enough; and that if he could wash his face with her water of life, it would make her love him more. He knew that she kept it in a cabinet in her chamber, where she could find it always.

Now it happened that a maid, in cleaning out this cabinet, had the day before knocked down the vial, which was broken in a thousand pieces, and all the contents were lost. Very much alarmed, she then remembered seeing, in a cabinet belonging to the king, a similar vial. This she found, and put in the place of the other one. But the king’s vial contained the water of longing. It was a poison, used to kill those that had committed the gravest of crimes. Instead of hanging them or cutting their heads off, like common people, they were compelled to wash their faces with this water; upon which they fell asleep, never to wake again. So it happened that the king, finding this vial, believing it to be the water of life, washed his face with it, and closed his eyes for the last time.

Hunter heard the news, and, gliding in and out among the crowd which clustered round the young and lovely widow, whispered softly to her...

“Madam, do not forget poor Avenant.”

The sight of his Growlithe was enough to remind her of him – his many trials, and his unending faithfulness. She got up, without speaking to anybody, and went straight to the tower where Avenant was confined. There, with her own hands, she took off his chains, and putting a crown of gold on his head, and a purple mantle on his shoulders, said to him, “Be the new king – and my husband.”

Avenant could not refuse; for in his heart he had loved her from the beginning. He threw himself at her feet, and then took the crown and scepter, and ruled her kingdom like a king. All the people were delighted to have him as their ruler.

The marriage was celebrated in all imaginable splendor, and Avenant and the Faithful Fair One lived and reigned happily together for many years.

real tale

Spoiler:
    Brendan and the Giant

(as performed by the Trio and Serena)

There was once a weaver--we'll call him Liam--who lived at the edge of a forest; and when he had nothing to burn, he went out with his daughter--we'll call her Fiona--to get wood for the fire. They gathered two bundles, and were just about ready to carry them home, when who should come along but a splendid-looking stranger on a beautiful Rapidash. He said to Liam...

"My good man, will you give me that girl of yours?"

"Indeed I will not!"

"I'll give you her weight in gold."

So Liam went home with the gold and without Fiona. He buried the gold in the garden, without letting his wife know what he had done. When she asked him where Fiona was, he replied...

"I sent her on an errand to a neighbor's house."

Night came with Fiona nowhere to be found. The next time he went to get wood, Liam took his second daughter--we'll call her Darina--to the forest and when they had two bundles gathered, and were ready to go home, a second stranger came on a beautiful Rapidash, much finer than the first, and asked Liam if he would he give him Darina's hand in marriage.

"I will not!"

"Well, I'll give you her weight in silver if you'll let her go with me."

So Liam carried home the silver and buried it in the garden with the gold, and Darina went away with the man. When he went to the forest again, the weaver took his third daughter--we'll call her Mairin--with him; and when they were ready to go home, a third man came aboard a beautiful Rapidash, Liam gave Mairin's weight in jewels, and the man took her away. Liam buried the jewels with the gold and silver. Now, the wife was crying night and day for her three daughters, and gave Liam no rest till he told her everything.

Now, a son was born to them; and when the boy--we'll call him Brendan--grew up and started school, he heard how his three sisters had been carried away for their weight in gold, silver, and jewels; and every day when he came home he saw how his mother was crying and wandering outside in grief through fields, pits and ditches, so he asked her what was the matter; but she wouldn't tell him a word.

Finally, he came home from school crying one day, and said...

"I'll not sleep three nights in one house till I find my three sisters."

Then he said to his mother...

"Make me three loaves of bread, mother, for I am going on a journey."

The next day, he asked if she had the bread ready. She said it was, and she was crying bitterly all the time.

"I'm going to leave you now, mother. I'll come back when I have found my three sisters."

With that, Brendan set out, and walked on till he was tired and hungry; and then he sat down to eat the bread that his mother had given him, when a man came up and asked him for something to eat.

What Brendan didn't know was that his guest was Arceus in disguise, and was testing his kindness and generosity to others.

Brendan bade his guest sit down, and the two ate till there was not a crumb of bread left.

Brendan told the disguised Arceus about the journey he was on; Then Arceus revealed himself to Brendan, thanked him for his kindness, and said to him...

There may not be much use in your going, but here are three things that will serve you well,—the Celestial Blade, the Cloth of Plenty, and the Cloak of Shrouds. No one--not even a demon--can kill you while you wield the Celestial Blade; and whenever you are hungry or thirsty, all you have to do is to spread the cloth and sing to it in the magical tongue, and any food or drink you want will be there before you. When you put on the Cloak of Shrouds, there won't be a living thing in the world that can see you, and you can go to whatever place you wish if you wrap yourself in it and wish yourself there.

So Arceus left for the heavens, and Brendan traveled onward with his three holy gifts.

That evening a great storm blew up, and he ran for shelter to a large oak tree. When he got near the tree, his foot slipped, the ground opened, and down he went through the earth till he came to another world far beneath the ground.

When he landed in the other world he put on the Cloak of Shrouds, and warped away like a blast of wind, and never stopped till he saw a castle in the distance.

But he found nine gates closed before him, and no way through. Yet he somehow knew in his heart that his eldest sister Fiona lived in that castle. He had not waited long at the gate when a girl came to him and said...

"Go on out of there; if you don't, you'll be killed."

"Then will you go in and tell my sister, the lady of this castle, to come out to me?"

The girl ran in; and out came Fiona. She asked him...

"Why are you here, and what did you come for?"

"I have come here to find my three sisters, who were given away by my father for their weight in gold, silver, and jewels; and I know in my heart you are my eldest sister."

She knew from what he said that he was her brother, so she opened the gates and brought him in, saying...

"Don't marvel at anything you see in here. My husband is enchanted. I see him only at night. He goes off every morning, is away all day, and comes home in the evening."

Eventually the sun went down; and while they were talking, the husband rushed in, and he made quite the noise. As he approached, he was in the form of a Gogoat, but no sooner did he step in the door, did he become human.

"Who is this that's with you?"

"Oh! That's my brother, who has come from up above to see me."

The next morning, when the lord of the castle had stepped outside and became a Gogoat again, he turned to the boy and asked...

"Will you stay a few days in my castle? You are welcome."

"Nothing would please me better, but I have made a vow never to sleep three nights in one house till I have found my three sisters."

"Well, since you must go, here is something for you."

After finding an emerald in his treasure vault, he gave it to Brendan, saying...

"Keep this; and whenever you are in trouble, take it out, and sing the song 'Seios, higarima laisido'--I will hear it and come help you."

So Brendan said goodbye to Fiona, put on the Cloak of Shrouds, and disappeared. He traveled till he was hungry and tired, then he sat down, took off the Cloak of Shrouds, spread the Cloth of Plenty, and wished for food and drink.

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

After he had eaten and drunk his fill, he folded up the cloth, put on the Cloak of Shrouds, and went ahead, passing every wind that was before him, and leaving every wind that was behind. About an hour before sunset he saw the castle where his middle sister Darina lived. When he reached the gate, a girl came out to him and said...

"Get away from that gate, or you'll be killed."

"I won't leave here till my sister Darina comes out and speaks to me."

The girl ran in, and out came Darina. When she heard his story and his father's name, she knew in her heart that he was her brother, and said...

"Come into the castle, but think nothing of what you'll see or hear. I don't see my husband from morning till night. He goes and comes in a strange form, but he is a man at night."

About sunset there was a terrible noise, and the lord of the castle arrived in the form of a Gyarados. But as soon as he passed through the door, he was human again.

"Who is that with you? I thought you would let no one into the castle while I was away."

"Oh! This is my brother, who has come to see me."

"If he's your brother, he's welcome."

They had dinner, and then slept soundly till morning. When the lord of the castle stepped outside, becoming a Gyarados again, he turned to Brendan and said...

"Please, stay here with us a while."

"I cannot--I made a vow never to sleep three nights in one house till I had seen my three sisters. I must go on now and find my third sister."

"The Gyarados took a sapphire that was embedded between its fins, and gave it to Brendan, saying...

"If any difficulty meets you, or danger approaches, sing the song 'Rou iitsa ron selga vichii' and I will come and help you."

With that, they parted. Brendan put on the Cloak of Shrouds, and away he went, more swiftly than any wind. He never stopped till he was hungry and thirsty. Then he sat down, took off his Cloak of Shrouds, spread the Cloth of Plenty..."

...and ate his fill. When he had eaten his fill, he went on till sundown, when he saw the castle where his third sister Mairin lived.

All three castles were near the sea. Neither sister knew what place she was in, and neither knew where the other two were living.

Mairin took her brother in just as Fiona and Darina had done, telling him not to wonder at anything he saw. They had just gotten inside when a roaring noise was heard, and Brendan saw the biggest Braviary he had ever seen approaching. But as soon as he had came inside, he was human.

"Who is that stranger there with you?"

"This is my brother, who has come to see me."

They all had a fine dinner and slept well that night. When the lord of the castle stepped outside and became a Braviary again, he found a ruby hidden in his wing, and gave it to Brendan.

"Keep this; it may serve you well. If you are ever in danger and need help, sing the song 'Karuto, iichiida shou', and I will come help you."

The third sister had been found; and Brendan went upstairs with Mairin to look around, and to look at the sea. Soon he saw a great white hill, and on the top of the hill a castle.

"In that castle on the white hill lives a giant, who stole from her home the most beautiful lady in the world. Many a hero, champion, adventurer, and prince have tried to rescue her from the giant and marry her; but the giant conquers them, cuts their heads off, and then eats their flesh. When he has picked the bones clean, he throws them out; and the whole place around the castle is white with the bones of the ones that the giant has eaten."

"I must go to that castle to know I can kill the giant and save the fair lady."

So he bid Mairin goodbye, put on the Cloak of Shrouds, took the Celestial Blade with him, and was soon inside the castle. The giant was grappling with a party of champions outside. When Brendan saw the lady--we'll call her Neve--he took off the Cloak of Shrouds and spoke to her.

"Oh! What can you do against the giant? No one has ever come to this castle without losing their lives. The giant kills every comer; and no one has ever come here so big that the giant did not eat him at one meal."

"Is there no way to kill him?"

"I think not."

"Well, if you'll give me something to eat, I'll stay here; and when the giant comes in, I'll do my best to kill him. But don't let him know that I am here."

Then he put on the Cloak of Shrouds, and no one could see him. When the giant came in, he had the bodies of two men on his back. He threw down the bodies and told Neve to get them ready for his dinner. Then he sniffed around, and said...

"There's someone here; I smell the blood of a human."

"I don't think you do, I can't see anyone."

"Neither can I, but I smell a man."

With that, Brendan drew the Celestial Blade, and when the giant was struck, he ran in the direction of the blow to give one back; then he was struck on the other side.

They went at one another this way, the giant and Brendan with the Cloak of Shrouds on him, till the giant had at least fifty wounds, and was covered in blood. Every minute he was getting a slash of a sword, but never could give one back.

Finally, the giant called...

"Whoever you are, wait till tomorrow, and I'll face you then."

So the fighting stopped; and Neve began to cry as if her heart would break when she saw the state the giant was in.

"Oh! You'll be with me no more; you'll be killed now: what can I do without you?"

"Don't be afraid--this one, whoever he is, will not kill me, for there is no one in the world that can kill me."

Then the giant went to bed, and was good as new in the morning.

The next day, the giant and Brendan resumed their battle in the middle of the morning, and fought till the middle of the afternoon. The giant was covered with wounds, and he had not given one blow to our hero, and could not see him, for he was always in the Cloak of Shrouds. So the giant had to ask for rest till the next morning.

While Neve was washing and dressing the wounds of the giant she cried and cried, saying..."

"What'll become of me now? I'm afraid you'll be killed this time; and how can I live here without you?"

"Have no fear for me, I'll put your mind at ease. In the bottom of the sea is a chest locked and bound, in that chest is a Ducklett, in the Ducklett an egg; and I never can be killed unless someone gets the egg from the Ducklett in the chest at the bottom of the sea, and smashes it on the ground."

While the giant was telling this to Neve, who should be listening to the story but Brendan, hidden in the Cloak of Shrouds." The minute he heard of the chest in the sea, he remembered his friend the Gyarados."

So off he hurried to the seashore, which was not far away. Then he took out the sapphire that the Gyarados had given him, and sang...

Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...

A huge wave appeared, brought up the chest with the Ducklett inside, and set it out on the beach before him. But the chest was locked up tight; so how could he open it without a key?

Just when he was about to give up, he remembered his friend the Gogoat and taking out the emerald, he sang...

Seios, higarima laisido...

At that moment, millions of Gogoats and Skiddos came running to the seashore, and soon they battered the chest till it was almost a pile of splinters. Out flew the Ducklett, and away she went over the sea.

Then Brendan remembered his friend the Braviary, took out the ruby, and he sang...

Karuto, iichiida shou...

Brendan gained the power to fly for a short time, and he had no problem retrieving the egg.

He put the three magic jewels in his pocket, put on the Cloak of Shrouds, went to the castle on the white hill, and told Neve to stand back.

The next day they fought till the middle of the afternoon. The giant was almost cut to pieces, and pleaded for mercy. Neve hurried to dress the wounds, but Brendan, who was there in his Cloak of Shrouds, smashed the egg on the ground, and the giant died that minute.

Brendan took Neve to the castle of his sister Mairin. The next day, he went back for the treasures of the giant, and there was more gold and jewels in the castle than one Ponyta could carry.

They spent nine days in all with Mairin. Although Brendan wanted to give back the ruby, the Braviary insisted he keep it as reminder of their friendship. The two went on till they came to Darina's castle, where they spent nine more days with her; and Brendan was told to keep the sapphire as a reminder of his friendship with the Gyarados.

They spent fifteen days with Fiona, all of them filled with great feasting and enjoyment. Brendan tried to give back the emerald to the Gogoat, but was told to keep it, as a reminder of their friendship. After saying goodbye to Fiona, Brendan set out for home with Neve, who had asked to be his bride, bringing presents from his sisters to their father and mother.

Finally, they reached the opening near the tree, came up through the ground, and went on to where he had met Arceus. Brendan spread the Cloth of Plenty, and wished for every good food and drink, and also wished for Arceus to join them in their meal.

The three sat down, ate and drank with enjoyment. When they had finished, Brendan tried to give back the Cloak of Shrouds, the Celestial Blade, and the Cloth of Plenty, but Arceus said...

"You were kind to me--you gave me some of your bread when I asked for it, and told me where you were going. I knew you were brave, kind, and unselfish; for I knew you never could get what you wanted unless I helped you. Take the Celestial Blade, the Cloth of Plenty, and the Cloak of Shrouds--they are gifts from me. When and if you have children of your own, pass them and the magic jewels down to them when they come of age."

With that, they parted. Brendan went home, built a castle with the giant's treasure, and lived happily with his parents and his wife, Neve, for many years.

real tale
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

2. This post has been liked by:

@EmeraldSky Thank you for posting these Pokemonized tales on PXR! I like them all and I particularly like how surprising they are. :)

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to AD for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D

Senior Moderator

@Cleobel

Anytime--I've always wondered what fairy tales would look like in the Pokemon world, and there are a wealth of tales you could Pokemonize.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

5. This post has been liked by: