Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

GCEA Sketchpad [Open]

Gotta Catch 'Em All: Sketchpad

“It’s an idea or a feeling artists need to get. If they don’t have it, it’s tough to create anything good.”
    Tracey Sketchit

The Basics:
    As this forum suggests, players that are participating in the forum game, Gotta Catch ‘Em All, may earn additional points for art that they create based on events that occurred in game!

Players may draw any Pokemon that their characters own in the story. The art will be graded upon how much effort was put into the piece as well as the relevancy to the story (was there a scene the Pokemon was involved in, stayed true to the story, etc…).

Then, the drawings will be graded from a 5-15 point scale system. 5 being a super quick drawing of a Pokemon that seemed as if no effort was put into. And, 15 being a nicely done Pokemon with the complete scene and had a lot of effort put into.

To put it simply, players will not have to draw a whole scene of GCEA, but will still get points for drawing their Pokemon. However, those that go the extra mile will get more points.

Lastly, the only people that are allowed to judge art in this thread are the GCEA mods that were given permission to judge. (If you would like to become a judge, please contact @Desolate Divine!)

Rules:
    - Keep in mind the PXR posting rules. They can be found here.

- No inappropriate art, please! I cannot stress this enough!

- Do not steal art from users on this site and other websites. This is not only unacceptable in GCEA, but PXR as a whole. It is theft, and you will be subject to an infraction or worse.

- You may only earn points from the sketch pad once per week. (I mean, I enjoy seeing everyone’s art, but if you wanted to just earn points, that’s the limit.)

- Do not reuse art that you have previously posted on this forum. (There's a difference between putting a piece in your thread and reusing a drawing you did a month ago before your submission.)

- This isn't so much a rule, but makes the forum look tidier. Please put your art in a spoiler tag to prevent it from being HUGE on the page. Thank you. c:

- Lastly, please do not quote the first post!

- If your post does not get graded within a week (7 days), you will be rewarded the full 15 points.

The Grading Rubric:

Originality:

If you steal somebody else's work, you will not only be penalised or kicked out of GCEA, but you will also deal with harsh PXR consequences. Stealing is a crime.

I'd also appreciate if no one draws on top of an image off the internet. (Like, drawing a Geodude into a real life picture of some mountains.) If you do, I'm only giving you 1 point in this section. While others are drawing the whole image, drawing a simple/crude background will give you more points. (Plus, as an artist, you want to push yourself to become better!)

Effort:

This is on a scale of 0 to 13 points.

0 is a crudely done drawing where stick figures and circles for Pokemon are abundant. (Please don't bother if you do that.)
    2 is a colourless sketch of a Pokemon, period. That's it.
    4 is a piece that took some time but was quickly submitted after a few minutes of work. (I usually gauge this by how the Pokemon look. Did it seem like you looked up what the Pokemon looks like? Was there a background? Etc...)
    7 is basically what 4 is but with colors thrown in and a bit more effort.
    13 is a piece where EVERYTHING in the drawing has been worked on; Pokemon, shading, brightness, colors, background, etc... And yes, you can get in between these values.

Sticking to the story:

This is on a scale of 0 to 2 points.

0 being no relation to the story, just a drawing of said Pokemon.
    2 if you gave me a link to the post and gave a brief overview of what happened; e.g. "Lola's torchic evolved."

With that said, it is possible to still get a fair number of points by drawing, even if you're not a good artist! It's about effort, not artistic skill and experience.

Art Submission Form:

Code:
    GCEA version: 
    Trainer Name:
    Link to your trainer stats: 
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event:
    Pokemon being drawn: 
    Submission:

Below is an example of a submission:

GCEA version: GCEA Gold
    Trainer Name: Cybil
    Link to your trainer stats: *pretend link here*
    Link to the post the submission is based on (optional, but helps me a lot): Cybil's first encounter with Clay the Sandshrew! *pretend link to post here*
    Pokemon being drawn: Sandshrew
    Submission:
    Spoiler:

(That's my drawing, btw. I give myself permission to use it, etc...)

And, that’s all there is to it! If there are any questions, feel free to PM me, any of the GCEA mods, or post the question here in the GCEA club forum. Happy drawing, everyone!

Current Graders
    @Suicune's Fire

Last edited by Rival Max; 07-13-2019 at 07:05 PM.

GCEA version: Plat
    Trainer Name: Renny
    Link to your trainer stats: Teddiursa in sig
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event:here
    Pokemon being drawn: Teddiursa
    Submission:

Spoiler:

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

GCEA version: Platinum
    Trainer Name: Amy Risa
    Link to your trainer stats: in sig
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Catching a Starly
    Pokemon being drawn: Totodile, Piplup, and Starly
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Trainer Name: Matthias
    Link to your trainer stats: in signature
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event:Squirtle arms herself for battle
    Pokemon being drawn: Instinct the Squirtle
    Submission:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Brettles; 02-05-2019 at 06:02 AM.

Okay so keeping in mind different levels of skill and experience, as well as the fact that I don't expect a masterpiece, I'm going to be only using a 15/15 for pieces that tick every box exceptionally. If your piece meets the standards then you'll likely get 1 or 2 points off full points, but I'm going to reserve the full 15 for people who clearly went beyond the minimum criteria. :) Just to make it more fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event:here
    Pokemon being drawn: Teddiursa
    Submission:

Spoiler:

2/2 for story relevance!

11/13 for effort! Although it's relatively simple, it's all tied together nicely and it's super easy to tell what's going on. I love the little smile on that teddiursa's face! I do however think a little more detail could have been added; the buildings have no shading and I'm not sure if they're meant to be a cardboard cut-out or if they're toys or what. I do like this piece and its simplicity, but I've seen you do much more detailed work. ;)

13/15 points total!

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Link to your trainer stats: in sig
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Catching a Starly
    Pokemon being drawn: Totodile, Piplup, and Starly
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    2/2 for story!

6/13 for effort. I'm giving you just below a 7 (which is colour & a sketch) because I can clearly see you put in a lot of effort and the background, pokemon and trainer all look good. However the image is really small and a little hard to see, not cropped well (since I can see the edges of the book and the keyboard you photographed it on), and colourless. I think it's a good picture, but it lacks some points of the criteria.

8/15 points total!

Quote Originally Posted by Brettles View Post
    Trainer Name: Matthias
    Link to your trainer stats: in signature
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event:Squirtle arms herself for battle
    Pokemon being drawn: Instinct the Squirtle
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    2/2 for story relevance!

8/13 for effort. I really like what you're going for here! That water sword is awesome. It is a fairly simplistic picture though, with shading only on the squirtle. The background could use a little love! It's also more like a picture of a squirtle rather than a scene. I think if the picture was a little bigger and had, say, the back of a geodude (even just a shadow) it would have better context. The water effect is a cool idea but honestly I think it would have looked better if instead of that filter, the lines under the water were just blue. The filter seems a little out of place.

10/15 points total!

Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Renny recored parts of Kinnies battle. He was impressed at the outcome of the match
    Pokemon being drawn: Shinx, Gyarados
    Submission:
    Spoiler:

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Renny recored parts of Kinnies battle. He was impressed at the outcome of the match
    Pokemon being drawn: Shinx, Gyarados
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    Hahaha firstly I love this. XD Secondly I think I'm gonna scrap what I said earlier about full points going above and beyond (not to say this didn't go beyond). xD

2/2 for story!

13/13 for effort. It's awesome. I absolutely love what's being instantly conveyed here: this tiny little shinx was defeated a massive gyarados, which is still crackling from the electrical energy. The posing and expressions are great, shading is on point, and the grass looks really nice. I like that you have some variation in colour and the addition of the patches. I think the blue sky could use a bit more love though, as usually there's a slight gradient, or even some clouds to break up the constant blue.

It's a great piece, so well done!

15/15 total!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Link to your trainer stats: Froslass in sig
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Freya holding the White Rose from this story
    Pokemon being drawn: Froslass
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

9. This post has been liked by:

GCEA version: Pearl
    Trainer Name: Palila Rae
    Link to your trainer stats: http://www.pokemoncrossroads.com/for...083-Palila-Rae
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Being sucked into the portal at the beginning of the game!
    Pokemon being drawn: Piplup
    Submission:
    Spoiler:

11. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Link to your trainer stats: Froslass in sig
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Freya holding the White Rose from this story
    Pokemon being drawn: Froslass
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    Squeee I love this froslass! You did such a nice job. :D

2/2 for story!

9/13 for effort. I love the pose, the colours, and how you've drawn the pokemon itself. The anatomy is great. There's no background, so a few points off for that, but it's rather pretty and I think you did a good job!

11/15 points total!

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    GCEA version: Pearl
    Trainer Name: Palila Rae
    Link to your trainer stats: http://www.pokemoncrossroads.com/for...083-Palila-Rae
    Link to the post the submission is based on/summary of the event: Being sucked into the portal at the beginning of the game!
    Pokemon being drawn: Piplup
    Submission:
    Spoiler:
    Awesome to see some art from you! :D There is a criteria in the first post which will help you to achieve more points. :) Unfortunately full points requires colour, but I still like what you've done!

2/2 for story relevance.

7/10 for effort. I really like what you did! The swirling, sparkling portal behind her is very clear, as is the weirded out look on her face. xD The piplup is also adorable. Perhaps next time ensure the image dimensions are a little smaller because even on my computer the image is massive and I can't get the full thing without scrolling haha. Don't worry, no points off for that. Just advice to make it easier to see the full picture. :)

9/15 points total! You can add these to your point total whenever you see this. :)

13. This post has been liked by: