Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pacifidice Kingdom Warlord Tenacity's Avatar
    PCBL Staff

Blog Entries

Pokemon X/Y Shiny Consecutive Fishing Guide and Discussion Thread

Pokemon X/Y Shiny Chaining Guide and Discussion Thread

On the 21st October 2013, a new method for hunting shiny Pokemon was revealed to exist within Pokemon X/Y. When you head to Route 16, you may come across the Fishing Shack. Within are two fishermen, one that gives you the Super Rod and another that alludes to a new concept known as Consecutive Fishing.

What is Consecutive Fishing?
    Whenever you hook a Pokemon on any of the three fishing rods, the chain for Consecutive Fishing begins. Consecutive Fishing is the process in which multiple hooks in the exact same spot are accumulated.

For example, let's say we fished in the marshes of Route 14 with a Good Rod and hooked ourselves a Poliwhirl. You can catch, defeat or run from whatever Pokemon you hook and the chain will still continue. If you repeat this process over and over again without moving in the overworld, failing to hook anything whatsoever or missing a hook (either by reeling in too quickly or too slow), the Consecutive Fishing chain will continue to rise.

Yeah, so what?
    The higher your Consecutive Fishing chain rises, the higher your chance of obtaining a Shiny Pokemon, as seen here:

I caught this beautiful Shiny Poliwhirl today.

That's really as simple as it gets, folks. Most people seem to be getting their Shiny Pokemon around the 80 hooks mark, which doesn't take long whatsoever (with it entirely being possible to have as many as 150 hooks or as little as 15 hooks).

Tips and tricks:
    • Having a Pokemon with the ability Suction Cups or Sticky Hold at the front of the party will drastically decrease the chance that you will fail to hook any Pokemon whatsoever. Examples of these Pokemon include Octillery and Inkay (the latter of which can be found on Route 8).
    • If you fish in a fishing tile which is surrounded by objects, such as rocks, your odds of failing to hook any Pokemon whatsoever will be drastically decreased.
    • This process can reportedly only be activated once you have completed a Consecutive Fishing chain of 7 hooked Pokemon and then talking to the fisherman pictured above. Once he alludes to the fact that 'sometimes, rare Pokemon can be found', you can then proceed to Consecutive Fish for Shiny Pokemon.
    • Remember to bring a Pokemon to capture that Shiny with!

Testimonies:
    Spoiler:
    Feel free to post any Shiny Pokemon you catch with this method!

Current tally: 5

Tenacity - Poliwhirl
    Popshakes - Poliwhirl
    Symphonius - Carvahna
    Symphonius - Basculin
    Tenacity - Poliwag

Also, feel free to discuss this method and ask any questions. :)
    Last edited by Tenacity; 11-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.

~Credit to Pokemon Trainer Sarah :3
    3DS / Pokemon X Friend Code: 0903 2751 0161
    | | | |
    ~Feel free to VM me for Wi-Fi or PCBL battles.

Blog Entries
    Yeah when i got my Super Rod and was told about this feature, that was the first thing i planned on doing. I have a Trubbish with Sticky Hold so atleast i can give it a shot now. I was lucky to get a 3 streak without any abilities.

All i need now is a Scyther or another pokemon like Zangoose learn False Swipe and i'll be set for shiny fish farming.

I envy Y players, I'd love Shiny Dragalge.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonius View Post
    I envy Y players, I'd love Shiny Dragalge.
    That's my job for tonight :)

Gastly
    Haunter @ 995

GCEA Staff

On chain 45 I obtained a Shiny Poliwhirl! :D She's a female and I named her Tiana. :3 She's going to turn into a beautiful blue Politoed. <3 Now I need a male Shiny Poliwhirl to name Navene. ;D

Jolteon owns all other eeveelutions~ ;D

Noivern: 1091
    ♥ Jolteon Lover ♥
    Check out my GCeA Stats here!|Check out my ASBL Stats here!|My Breeding Center!

Life must be lived forwards, but can only be understood backwards. Shadow Tracker Max's Avatar
    Administrator

Blog Entries
    You had to fish 45 times in a row to get the shiny ? How do you know it was the 45th time?

Gible bite's Comic
    Click here to find the GCEA link thread!

Paired with the amazing Braxien!
    GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

VPP

Delcatty: 7033
    Level100: 7213

GCEA Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Joseph Dredd View Post
    You had to fish 45 times in a row to get the shiny ? How do you know it was the 45th time?
    Because I counted how many times I fished in a row. :P Technically I fished 110 times BUT the chain ended when I caught Shiny Poliwhirl and I didn't know. When I went to the fisherman guru he told me my highest chain was 65 although I fished 110 times in a row.

Jolteon owns all other eeveelutions~ ;D

Noivern: 1091
    ♥ Jolteon Lover ♥
    Check out my GCeA Stats here!|Check out my ASBL Stats here!|My Breeding Center!

PCBL Staff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Popshakes View Post
    On chain 45 I obtained a Shiny Poliwhirl! :D She's a female and I named her Tiana. :3 She's going to turn into a beautiful blue Politoed. <3 Now I need a male Shiny Poliwhirl to name Navene. ;D
    Congratulations, Popshakes! :D We can be Shiny Poli-buddies! :3 I'm going to keep my Poliwhirl as a Poliwhirl for the moment, mainly because I already have a Politoed. c:

| | | |

Life must be lived forwards, but can only be understood backwards. Shadow Tracker Max's Avatar
    Administrator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    Congratulations, Popshakes! :D We can be Shiny Poli-buddies! :3 I'm going to keep my Poliwhirl as a Poliwhirl for the moment, mainly because I already have a Politoed. c:
    You have your first testimonial! Also I think mine attempts failed because well I didnt use a pokemon with an ability to make it easier to catch so every other time I wouldnt get anything..lol

Gible bite's Comic
    Click here to find the GCEA link thread!

Paired with the amazing Braxien!
    GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

VPP

Delcatty: 7033
    Level100: 7213

PCBL Staff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Joseph Dredd View Post
    You have your first testimonial! Also I think mine attempts failed because well I didnt use a pokemon with an ability to make it easier to catch so every other time I wouldnt get anything..lol
    Good luck. :) There are some really nice Shiny Pokemon you can get with this method, such as Seadra or Dragonair.

| | | |

Blog Entries
    Well I just caught me a L25 Female Carvanah (Lol was the pokemon I was after, too, Lucky!) On Route 22 using a Good Rod, with a consecutive count of 13. (Would be 33 but left my fishing spot).

I'll post a pic when i figure out how to get it off my 3DS.

Now going for a Shiny Dratini, and maybe Clauncher.