Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How's Your Government?

How do you feel about the government in your country?

2. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Currently our federal government is doing nothing. There is an election due in the next couple months and they are basically just holding out until then because everything they do makes people like them less. They're only in it for themselves. Everyone's predicting then to be wiped out at the election and I hope it happens! They've been useless, changed leaders 3 times by backstabbing each other and purposefully messed up stuff like our internet service. Internet speeds in Australia are terrible compared to the rest of the world. The previous government had a plan to fix this and give everyone 100Mbps but the new government cut it back so much that some people now have worse speeds than they did before, and you're forced to switch to the new service. So my mum for example was getting 15Mbps before for $60 a month and now has to pay $70 for 8Mbps. It's pretty ridiculous! The reason they did this? Murdoch didn't want Netflix and other streaming services to be able to compete with his extremely expensive cable service here. If you get on his bad side, you can expect to be smeared in all the newspapers and there's no way you'll be winning the next election... Our government also doesn't believe in climate change and tried to stop gay marriage being legalised, which hopefully gives you an idea of how backwards they are but I won't go into that xD

On the other hand, our state government is doing a great job, doing a lot for public transport, renewable energy and even legalising euthanasia for terminally ill people. They could be better in some areas but I'm pretty happy with how they're going.
    GCEA

4. This post has been liked by:

The government is messy in the US. Personally, I'm not happy at all with the circus that has been created since Trump took office. The president is a bonehead who should be behind bars but he isnt the only problem. It seems like across party lines we've stopped trying to progress our country and now we're just always on the defensive. The U.S. is great because people are from different backgrounds can come together for common goals. Trying to find a balance between the needs of all of its citizens has always been tough but now the balance seems to be gone at least if you keep up with the rollcoaster ride that is news media on all sides.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

6. This post has been liked by:

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Currently our federal government is doing nothing. There is an election due in the next couple months and they are basically just holding out until then because everything they do makes people like them less. They're only in it for themselves. Everyone's predicting then to be wiped out at the election and I hope it happens! They've been useless, changed leaders 3 times by backstabbing each other and purposefully messed up stuff like our internet service. Internet speeds in Australia are terrible compared to the rest of the world. The previous government had a plan to fix this and give everyone 100Mbps but the new government cut it back so much that some people now have worse speeds than they did before, and you're forced to switch to the new service. So my mum for example was getting 15Mbps before for $60 a month and now has to pay $70 for 8Mbps. It's pretty ridiculous! The reason they did this? Murdoch didn't want Netflix and other streaming services to be able to compete with his extremely expensive cable service here. If you get on his bad side, you can expect to be smeared in all the newspapers and there's no way you'll be winning the next election... Our government also doesn't believe in climate change and tried to stop gay marriage being legalised, which hopefully gives you an idea of how backwards they are but I won't go into that xD

On the other hand, our state government is doing a great job, doing a lot for public transport, renewable energy and even legalising euthanasia for terminally ill people. They could be better in some areas but I'm pretty happy with how they're going.
    Not meaning to be a d*** or anything but technically the backstabbing for the PM seat started with Labor in 2010. John Howard had the position for 11 years prior to Kevin Rudd taking it in 07, then Julia Gillard stabbed him in the back for it in 2010, then he stabbed her in the back for it again in 2013 just before Abbott took power. I can understand your disagreements over the other things but if backstabbing is a reason to not approve of the Liberal Government, Labor is hardly any better in that respect. As I said, it is fair enough everything else, I just think that statement is a little one sided given the circumstances.

Just sayin'.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Desolate Divine View Post
    Not meaning to be a d*** or anything but technically the backstabbing for the PM seat started with Labor in 2010. John Howard had the position for 11 years prior to Kevin Rudd taking it in 07, then Julia Gillard stabbed him in the back for it in 2010, then he stabbed her in the back for it again in 2013 just before Abbott took power. I can understand your disagreements over the other things but if backstabbing is a reason to not approve of the Liberal Government, Labor is hardly any better in that respect. As I said, it is fair enough everything else, I just think that statement is a little one sided given the circumstances.

Just sayin'.
    Yeah I know that. I was just trying to explain what the government was like to non Australians since I don't think that kind of stuff happens elsewhere as they vote for a president not a party. It doesn't really make me dislike them particularly. I was glad when Turnbull took over but he turned out to be pretty useless as well. I have plenty of other reasons to dislike the government, including they cut science and university funding as much as they can which directly impacts my career xD
    GCEA

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah ; we vote for parties too, rather than a person. But then that would be because our two countries share the same head of state, along with many others.

My country's politics? There is just onne word that you need to know. One word that has meant years of political gridlock, where nothing else seems to get discussed and not one politician looks like they have the first idea at what they're actually attempting to do.

Brexit.

Brexit. The thing that the people of my country voted for by 52% to 48%, because of a whole host of lies told by people who more or less disappeared once they actually got the result they wanted but that nobody expected. Of course, democracy is democracy and, although I was one of the 48%, I respect the result (begrudgingly). Even if it does mean that things in every shape and form will be generally worse when we finally leave the EU, which has been admitted by every person in charge of this process.

I was going to go through a summary of how we ended up in this situation, but the more I typed, the more drained and depressed I felt about all the events that have led this country to this point. I just want the process to end, to be over, just like everybody else. And yet it keeps on trundling along. Where and when will it finish? Who knows... I just hope the Conservative party (centre-right, leading party) gets absolutely shafted in the next general election (2022, unfortunately) for the mess they've gotten this country into.
    Heartfelt thanks to Neo Emolga for my avatar!

10. This post has been liked by:

I try not to get political often, but in this case I’ll make an exception. Here in America, we vote for individual people. However, the people we vote for represent a party. I live in a state that is considered the most republican state, with only one state fighting us for the title. That means that my state voted for Trump. I feel like even though we say we vote for the person, it seems more like we’re voting for the party with every single election. And every time an election comes up, the people who are put as options are even more polarized than the last set. At this point, I don’t see the “third party” candidates ever winning, and the main two parties have become a game of “pick the lesser of two evils” at every election.

That’s how I see it anyways.

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

My country's falling apart at the seams politically. The whole leaving the EU debacle's been going on for an eternity, and still nothing's been done, either for or against it. Half the people who voted to leave are dead or dying, and the young people who mostly voted to stay are going to be left in a country that's marginalised for the xenophobia of the older generation. It's got me really scared, if I'm honest, because I wasn't old enough to vote in the referendum, but at least the next decade or two are going to be shaped by whether we end up staying or leaving without a deal. God help us all. :(

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

It seems like across the pound you guys are fighting the wave of nationalism too. In a world that is so connected and dependent on others this trend is proving to be disastrous. The future generations are going to need to be better than those that came before because we are all in a hell of a mess right now. Ive been keeping up a little Brexit and it seems like eventually its going to have to be addressed. What I don't understand is why cant you guys just revote. Maybe thate like someone suggesting a revote here if it is i apologize. I just think voting to leave the EU for a variety or xenophobic ideals that somehow gained ground shouldnt throw your country into a potential financial disaster. So could you guys revote? From what I've heard the numbers in favour plunged afterwords. Even voters who voted for it didnt think it should pass.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

14. This post has been liked by:

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    It seems like across the pound you guys are fighting the wave of nationalism too. In a world that is so connected and dependent on others this trend is proving to be disastrous. The future generations are going to need to be better than those that came before because we are all in a hell of a mess right now. Ive been keeping up a little Brexit and it seems like eventually its going to have to be addressed. What I don't understand is why cant you guys just revote. Maybe thate like someone suggesting a revote here if it is i apologize. I just think voting to leave the EU for a variety or xenophobic ideals that somehow gained ground shouldnt throw your country into a potential financial disaster. So could you guys revote? From what I've heard the numbers in favour plunged afterwords. Even voters who voted for it didnt think it should pass.
    Voting again should be the logical conclusion considering both sides were guilty of telling fibs and fearmongering, it was a downright immoral campaign that only aimed to divide people in numerous ways, and that's a problem both sides shared. Obviously though, Leave people are adamant that their majority is legit because they won, as I'm sure Remain would be if they won. I'd say we need a vote again anyway, considering a 52% majority is nothing when most referendums before it needed 60% to be taken seriously. There's so many methodological problems with how it was carried out that it drives me insane (and obviously I want Remain to win, so I'm biased in wanting a second vote because of that too). And yeah, Remain's support has pretty much been on a consistent up since the referendum, even if only because the government are doing such a terrible job of cutting a deal.

You're absolutely right though, xenophobia and toxic views towards people and places that really don't deserve them is stupid and only going to cause us harm, especially when most of the people with those views are dead in a decade whilst I can't afford to feed my family. The EU outright saved most of the Northern cities in the UK after Thatcher, who didn't invest in them at all. My hometown is one of those places that wouldn't be half as great as it is now without EU funding, and to just take the funding, thrive on it and then tell the EU we don't want them anymore is abhorrent. I'm ashamed to be British right now, I really am.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler: