Thread: Athena's Gift

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Athena's Gift

Imagine if you do a favour for the goddess Athena, and as a reward, she gives you a gift of five languages. You can learn to speak, read and write any five languages instantly, with proficiency equalling your current first language, and it doesn’t take away from your current language skills in any way. What five languages would you pick?

Since I already know Spanish, I'd probably go with Mandarin, Thai, Arabic, Latin, and Farsi. THough German is a strong contender as well.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I would go with French, Japanese, Spanish, Hebrew, and Russian.

French because I've tried to learn it and have struggled with it. Plus my mom knew French, so it would be nice to have and finally complete the little bits I do know.

Japanese because hey, who wouldn't want to be able to play Japanese video games a few months early? ;) Plus I've come across so many Japanese things on websites and had no clue what was being said. That and there wouldn't be any need for me to watch a subbed or dubbed anime. XD

Spanish because it's getting more ingrained in the States and I see more and more instances of it popping up. It's another thing where knowing what's being said would be helpful.

Hebrew because I think it would be interesting and enlightening to read the Bible in the way it was meant to be read, no iffy or questionable translations. I read it in English in a version that I've heard wasn't "as accurate" as others. Ugh.

And lastly, knowing Russian would be very good for a career in cyber security. XD Plus there's a few other instances where I've seen it pop up and it would be good to know.

But yeah, in my experiences, learning languages is TOUGH for me. I keep trying to apply English rules to them while trying to learn and it screws me up. :P

Ooh this is a good question.

Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, French, Gaelic (Scottish or Irish).

Japanese because I definitely want to go back to Japan and it would be awesome to know the language. Also watching anime without subtitles would be cool. xD

Mandarin is mostly for convenience; it covers at least portions of a few countries and would be useful for travel. But also in my own country!

Spanish seems like a good choice because it covers a lot of bases. Same with French.

I was gonna go with Dutch because it seemed more useful than Gaelic BUT PEOPLE DO STILL SPEAK IT and I think it's the coolest language. Knowing either the Irish or Scottish variant would be awesome. xD

Administrator

Tough one for me. There’s only ever been select languages I’ve been interested in. In order from most desired to least of these five I’d say: Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, German.

Japanese would REALLY help for when I finally go to Japan. I know most places I’d go would be English friendly, but for the area I’d check out that aren’t. Well, that’s a plus. And if I ever wanted to move there it’s required (typically) you’re a born citizen of Japan. If you an prove you speak and write urently in Japanese (in both katakana and kanji) they usually work with you.

Spanish. Is it any wonder? A lot of jobs these days in America are being taken by a good portion of Mexicans. Most looking for work that can’t find any any other way. Looking for an honest dollar. Thing is...a lot don’t speak English either. This isn’t as common outside of Texas, California, and a few other Western states, but it is seen elsewhere too. It can be hard to communicate too. So to be able to help them or understand them better. It’d be nice to know what they say.

Ahhh, French. My dad took classes way back when he was I school. Movies like Rush Hour 3 and Ratatouille make the language and city look amazing. Maybe one day I’ll take a trip there, but it’s not a top priority.

Russian and German both are kinda of just preference. As both of these have a past with me from both games and movies. Seeing these in many of each have me wondering. How would things be if I knew personally what it says. Especially if they don’t explain it to those of us that can’t read or speak it?

Yeah I’d love this though. I just can’t with languages well at all. It tough for me to grasp.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

German, French, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch! I'm already in the process of learning German I'd just like to be more fluent ;; I also have a lot of Dutch friends and German is really close to Dutch. The others have just always been interesting to me.

Well, I should be able to learn Spanish fairly easily if I try, since I've already been in two and a half years of the language, so while I don't know it, I think it would be a waste of the gift.

I think it would be cool to learn dead languages, but I don't see that being of much use unless I could revive the languages through learning them.

As a result... I'd probably say the Choctaw language (rare, but not dead yet), French, German, Japanese and Welsh.

The first, the third, and the last because my family, as far as we're aware, descended from those areas. French because my grandpa learned some when he was stationed in France for the Air Force, and Japanese because I started getting interested in the language when I took karate back in elementary school.

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    I would choose the great languages of culture and thought: German, French, Russian, and Italian. Then I can read the great thinkers in their own words, and enjoy opera with or without subs to boot.
    For my extra fun choice: Estonian.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

Spanish - It's a very common secondary language here in the United States

Japanese - I loved visiting 2 years ago, I'd love to live there for a part of my life, so obviously knowing Japanese would help with that goal

German - I would love to visit Germany and tour the country, and my family tree is partly German

Chinese - With China rising, I feel it's important to understand their language, as they're quickly becoming a super power/world leader

French - With this I could tour the UK, France, and Germany to the maximum potential with all 3 languages mastered