Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horrifying "realistic" pictures of Pokemon

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

WTF, that doesn't look like Scyther at all. It's supposed to be based on a mantis, not a T-Rex. Really, it's so off that he might as well add turkey tail feathers to it and color it pink.

And I laugh at that bottom one. Charizard clearly has wings, so what the hey happened? Did the guy who drew these suddenly decide halfway to just say screw it and do their own thing?

Making it double with Caite-Chan!

2. This post has been liked by:

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    WTF, that doesn't look like Scyther at all. It's supposed to be based on a mantis, not a T-Rex. Really, it's so off that he might as well add turkey tail feathers to it and color it pink.

And I laugh at that bottom one. Charizard clearly has wings, so what the hey happened? Did the guy who drew these suddenly decide halfway to just say screw it and do their own thing?
    I think "realiSTic pokemanzz" has its own rules, really. Oh now I see a horrifying emolga. xD Most of them just look like flying squirrels.

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I think "realiSTic pokemanzz" has its own rules, really. Oh now I see a horrifying emolga. xD Most of them just look like flying squirrels.
    Ah, pretty sure I've seen those. Trust me, with all the Emolga image searching I've done...

Thankfully those aren't too bad. Mostly just recolored flying squirrels most of the time.

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

Mind you, I really hate the Detective Pikachu ones too. And I found out that the head artist...is this guy.
    Ah, that's Arvalis. Honestly, I don't think his takes on realistic Pokemon are that bad. Imo they're probably among the better-looking ones (which is likely the reason he was hired as head artist for the film in the first place). As the saying goes, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Last edited by Arrow-Jolteon; 02-26-2019 at 05:05 AM.

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    Ah, that's Versiris. Honestly, I don't think his takes on realistic Pokemon are that bad. Imo they're probably among the better-looking ones (which is likely the reason he was hired as head artist for the film in the first place). As the saying goes, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    I have never heard that saying. xD But it works well here I suppose haha. Yeah looking back, his iterations aren't always horrifying unlike the guy from the second post. XD But ugh, I still really don't like the Detective Pikachu pokemon. Dx

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

Writing stories about bugs Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I'll repeat something I said years ago: Why is it that so many artists confuse "realistic" for "ugly as f**ing sin"?
    This is what I've always wanted to know. Especially when they take pokemon based off of dogs/foxes/cats and make them horrifying for no reason. Wouldn't eevee be more likely to look similar to a fennec fox or something if it were real? There are plenty of cute real animals.

But yeah, I think the object of this is to just make them look as ugly as possible. Which is annoying, because then more people get the idea that "realistic" has to mean "nightmare fuel."

8. This post has been liked by:

I have never heard that saying. xD But it works well here I suppose haha. Yeah looking back, his iterations aren't always horrifying unlike the guy from the second post. XD But ugh, I still really don't like the Detective Pikachu pokemon. Dx
    Well, look on the bright side, you just learned a cool new proverb! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    This is what I've always wanted to know. Especially when they take pokemon based off of dogs/foxes/cats and make them horrifying for no reason. Wouldn't eevee be more likely to look similar to a fennec fox or something if it were real? There are plenty of cute real animals.

But yeah, I think the object of this is to just make them look as ugly as possible. Which is annoying, because then more people get the idea that "realistic" has to mean "nightmare fuel."
    Yeah, a realistic Eevee would basically look like a fennec fox with narrower ears, a mane of fur around the neck, and a shorter muzzle, which honestly sounds incredibly adorable. Why people draw it as ugly I will never understand. Though thankfully realistic art of Eevee and its evolutions is generally one of the least likely to be a vomit-inducing abomination. More unconventional-looking Pokemon such as Mr. Mime, Chansey, and Jigglypuff though...

In fact, I'm gonna post a couple of realistic depictions of Pokemon that I thought were adorable and cool. We need to offset the nightmare fuel made by tryhards who think reality has to be ugly and gritty:

10. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

See, that's how it's done. That's WAY more respectable.

I can imagine trying to do realistic takes on Pokemon is a tough thing, but I swear, those earlier images look like they were purely going for a horror show. They're not even close to the source material.

Writing stories about bugs Scytherwolf's Avatar
    *the pictures Arrow posted*
    Aww, now those are cute and still look like the pokemon they're meant to be!

Also, a side (but related) rant, it annoys the crap out of me what people do to make realistic bug types. Just about every "realistic yanmega" I see looks like the person just traced a photo of a dragonfly, added yanmega's colors, and then put a few spikes on it. I mean, come on! There are differences between yanmega and real life dragonflies that could make awesome interpretations if done right! I personally want to see someone make a version incorporating yanmega's actual mouth structure instead of just giving it dragonfly mandibles (but you know, I wouldn't want them to make it as disgusting as possible, just something different and cool). I feel like making bug-like creatures that have some not-bug-like elements would be a fun challenge....if I knew anything about how to draw realistic fantasy creatures.

13. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    Aww, now those are cute and still look like the pokemon they're meant to be!

Also, a side (but related) rant, it annoys the crap out of me what people do to make realistic bug types. Just about every "realistic yanmega" I see looks like the person just traced a photo of a dragonfly, added yanmega's colors, and then put a few spikes on it. I mean, come on! There are differences between yanmega and real life dragonflies that could make awesome interpretations if done right! I personally want to see someone make a version incorporating yanmega's actual mouth structure instead of just giving it dragonfly mandibles (but you know, I wouldn't want them to make it as disgusting as possible, just something different and cool). I feel like making bug-like creatures that have some not-bug-like elements would be a fun challenge....if I knew anything about how to draw realistic fantasy creatures.
    I'm not very good at doing photorealistic stuff myself, so I sadly can't alleviate this until I get better at art. And I can't really find any examples of realistic Bug-type Pokemon that aren't either scaled-up versions of real insects with a paint job or horrid monstrosities like the stuff we've already posted in here. But I did find a few more realistic takes on Pokemon that I found to be quite badass:

15. This post has been liked by: