Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: What would you want the starters final evolution typing to be?

  1. #11
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

    Senior Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Route 1
    Posts
    10,588
    I think it's be cool to have grass/water, water/fire and fire/grass typings xD but I don't think that would ever happen

    I'll be happy if none of them are fighting types. And if the grass one gets a decent secondary typing that doesn't make it too fragile...
    GCEA


  2. #12
    Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Running around
    Posts
    4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I think it's be cool to have grass/water, water/fire and fire/grass typings xD but I don't think that would ever happen

    I'll be happy if none of them are fighting types. And if the grass one gets a decent secondary typing that doesn't make it too fragile...
    Unfortunately, this will be kinda tricky as Grass by itself has a lot of weaknesses, so many of its potential combos sadly have a high risk of one or more 4x weaknesses...

  3. #13
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

    Senior Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Route 1
    Posts
    10,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    Unfortunately, this will be kinda tricky as Grass by itself has a lot of weaknesses, so many of its potential combos sadly have a high risk of one or more 4x weaknesses...
    Yeah I know, grass has so many weaknesses.... :( There probably isn't a great secondary typing for it xD I guess the best we can hope for is a 4x weakness to an uncommon type, whatever that will be in the new games!
    GCEA


  4. #14
    Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Running around
    Posts
    4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Yeah I know, grass has so many weaknesses.... :( There probably isn't a great secondary typing for it xD I guess the best we can hope for is a 4x weakness to an uncommon type, whatever that will be in the new games!
    Well, stats, movepool, and Abilities also play a part on how well a Pokemon performs, not just type, so even if Grookey does get an unfortunate type combination any of its other attributes could help make it decent anyway.

  5. #15
    The Maddest Shaymin
    Noblejanobii's Avatar
    Site Editor

    Senior Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    15,737
    We have a couple normal rabbit Pokémon in the way of Azumarill and its pre evolutions but I don’t think they’ll take that type of design for Scorbunny.
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

  6. #16
    Experienced Trainer Lychee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    299
    I'm really hoping Scorbunny ends up electric/fire - It reminds me of King Kazma from the Summer Wars anime movie, which was rad. But yeah, I think electric could play into like, a really fast soccer player kind of vibe.

  7. #17
    Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Running around
    Posts
    4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    We have a couple normal rabbit Pokémon in the way of Azumarill and its pre evolutions but I don’t think they’ll take that type of design for Scorbunny.
    Marill and Azurril are mice, and Azumarill is too stylized to really be considered "normal". It's a cute design, yes, but it's still too far removed from a rabbit's anatomy.

  8. #18
    The Maddest Shaymin
    Noblejanobii's Avatar
    Site Editor

    Senior Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    15,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    Marill and Azurril are mice, and Azumarill is too stylized to really be considered "normal". It's a cute design, yes, but it's still too far removed from a rabbit's anatomy.
    Dude, it's pokemon, ofc they're going to be stylized. When I say normal I don't mean not stylized, I mean not sexualized like Lopunny and Diggersby. Azumarill is a combo of a swamp rabbit (a large rabbit that's very round and lives in wet areas) and a beach ball or flotation device or a bubble. Just something round and water related. It's not a direct match but it is close enough that people know it's a rabbit and therefore should be considered as such, especially when its species name is literally "The Aqua Rabbit Pokemon". The nidorans are also rabbits, as evidence by their large ears and their buck teeth, and in the case of the female her whiskers. Scorbunny is also stylized to look like a rugby or soccer player. I don't know of any real life rabbits that stand on two feet. Scorbunny looks closer to a rendition of Bugs Bunny than an actual rabbit. So it's also very far removed from a rabbit's actual anatomy. I'd argue the nidorans are much closer due to their shape and size. They're closer than Bunnelby and Buneary too since, again, rabbits don't stand on two legs.
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

  9. #19
    Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Running around
    Posts
    4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Dude, it's pokemon, ofc they're going to be stylized. When I say normal I don't mean not stylized, I mean not sexualized like Lopunny and Diggersby. Azumarill is a combo of a swamp rabbit (a large rabbit that's very round and lives in wet areas) and a beach ball or flotation device or a bubble. Just something round and water related. It's not a direct match but it is close enough that people know it's a rabbit and therefore should be considered as such, especially when its species name is literally "The Aqua Rabbit Pokemon". The nidorans are also rabbits, as evidence by their large ears and their buck teeth, and in the case of the female her whiskers. Scorbunny is also stylized to look like a rugby or soccer player. I don't know of any real life rabbits that stand on two feet. Scorbunny looks closer to a rendition of Bugs Bunny than an actual rabbit. So it's also very far removed from a rabbit's actual anatomy. I'd argue the nidorans are much closer due to their shape and size. They're closer than Bunnelby and Buneary too since, again, rabbits don't stand on two legs.
    Yes I get that it's gonna be stylized but it's still far more stylized than other Pokemon are from their animal inspiration: Houndoom is based on a dog and it's stylized while still keeping a recognizable dog anatomy, for example. As is the case for most canine and feline based Pokemon. Why don't rabbits get this luxury? They're either too far removed like Azumarill and Wigglytuff, too sexualized like Lopunny, and too gross like Diggersby. I was not trying to argue that Azumarill wasn't a rabbit, just that it takes far too many liberties anatomy-wise.

    And yes, the Nidorans exist and they're very cute but they also become something much different as soon as they evolve, and it would be nice to have a rabbit Pokemon that could remain rabbitlike without becoming furbait or disgusting at the same time.

  10. #20
    The Maddest Shaymin
    Noblejanobii's Avatar
    Site Editor

    Senior Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    15,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    Yes I get that it's gonna be stylized but it's still far more stylized than other Pokemon are from their animal inspiration: Houndoom is based on a dog and it's stylized while still keeping a recognizable dog anatomy, for example. As is the case for most canine and feline based Pokemon. Why don't rabbits get this luxury? They're either too far removed like Azumarill and Wigglytuff, too sexualized like Lopunny, and too gross like Diggersby. I was not trying to argue that Azumarill wasn't a rabbit, just that it takes far too many liberties anatomy-wise.

    And yes, the Nidorans exist and they're very cute but they also become something much different as soon as they evolve, and it would be nice to have a rabbit Pokemon that could remain rabbitlike without becoming furbait or disgusting at the same time.
    There are a lot of animal based pokemon that don't get that luxury either. I get what you're saying and I agree it'd be nice, but you can't just throw the existing rabbit pokemon under the bus saying they don't look like rabbits when that's simply not the case. Wigglytuff and Azumarill actually have very creative designs that kept notes of their rabbit inspirations while also mixing them with a balloon and a beach ball (or whatever) respectively. Wigglytuff actually looks more like a rabbit than Azumarill if I'm candid since Wigglytuff has the ears and tail, even if it lacks the overall body shape that you're looking for. And you've also gotta remember that some people who aren't fetishists like the designs of Diggersby and Lopunny too. Diggersby isn't may favorite design on the planet but I don't find it gross. It's a clever play on a rabbit crossed with a miner or a construction worker. Its ears are based on the scooping construction equipment you see to move dirt. It's actually really creative, even if the execution wasn't the best and definitely couldn't been done differently. But that shouldn't discount it as a quality rabbit pokemon since it bears quite a bit of resemblance to rabbit anatomy, especially when you consider that literally only the Nidorans are close in actual bunnies. And sure Lopunny is fairly sexual, which makes sense given it's probably based on the playboy bunny or on bunny girls in general, but the mega form is a pretty creative allusion to the rise in popularity of women's boxing and kickboxing.

    That being said, I get your point. Rabbit pokemon have gotten the short end of the stick in a lot of ways and I'm hoping Scorbunny will change that too. But I wish you'd appreciate what already exists as well since it feels like to me you're not giving the existing designs enough credit for the creativity behind them.
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

  11. This post has been liked by:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •