Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "I Dream of Skarmory": A Pokemon Silver Version Nuzlocke with Entirely Too Many Rules

@Kentucky Fried Torchic Thank you for the update! :)
    Are you able and allowed to evolve your Pokemon by trading? If so, I vote for Abra. If not, I vote for Eevee.
    Regarding Jason, you should probably level him up, evolve him and use him against Whitney, then send him back to your PC. Double Kick is not that powerful in the long run and he won't be able to evolve into Nidoking anytime soon.
    Good luck with your adventure! o/

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to Deoxys for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D

Special thanks to The Foogle for this beautiful pixel Necrozma Dusk Mane! :D
    Part of the Ultra Duo Set with Radiant Moon The Foogle! :D

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

Yeah what Cleo said I don't think you can get a Moonstone until at least Tohjo Falls which is a long way off
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Pride of the Yevetha Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    True to form, after I reconfigured my team, I went back and beat all of the trainers that I had avoided. I participated in the Bug Catching Contest as well, but only got a Kakuna, Spenser, and a Berry for my trouble. Looks like there isn't any Bellossom in my future.

There were some evolutions along the way! Because I focused exclusively on training Emily and Jason, I had a Graveler and a Nidorino by the time that I reached Whitney. There is a bit of a level gap now, so that will have to be remedied later.

But first, we had Miltank deathmatch 2019 to get through. I went up against Whitney with a team of two Pokemon, Jason and Emily, with the former in the front slot. It sounds bad, but I was prepared to use my Nidorino as a sacrifice to clinch the win.

Whitney's Clefairy opened up with Metronome and blew it on a Cotton Spore. She got off a Double Slap, but Jason made short work of her with back-to-back Double Kicks. Then the nightmare emerged: Miltank. I had Jason fire off a Poison Sting, and, amazingly enough, it poisoned Whitney's Miltank! She was locked in Rollout, so there was no chance for her to heal, so it became a tense race between Double Kick and Rollout. Her third attack would have killed Jason, but I had had the foresight to give him a Berry, perhaps the same one that my Kakuna won me, and so he survived with six HP left and landed the final blow, leveling up and making me reevaluate his position in my team. After all, how many Pokemon can say that they single-handedly swept Whitney at the tender level of twenty?

The rest of the session seems a little lackluster in comparison. I picked up the Squirtbottle and went to go bother a weird tree. With a little help from Sleep Powder, I got a new member on the team: Ian the Sudowoodo! He seems a little silly when compared to Emily, but I'm just glad that I didn't blow my encounter on Route 38 on a Rattata or a Hoothoot. In recognition of my great victory over a fake tree, I was given the TM for Rock Smash. It seems to me like that would have been pretty effective at getting the Sudowoodo to move his butt and stop blocking the road, but c'est la vie.

Now we have to start planning ahead for the next Gym Leader: Morty and his thrice-damned Gengar. Will I find any berries that can wake my Pokemon up from Hypnosis? How long does it take to get an Umbreon anyways? Why can't a (presumably) level forty-two Rhydon beat five girls with level seventeen Eevee evolutions? Tune in next time to probably not find out!

The party so far:

Ezra the male Quilava, level eighteen
    @ Charcoal
    -Tackle, Leer, Smokescreen, Ember

Toby the male Flaffy, level eighteen
    -Tackle, Growl, Thundershock, Thunder Wave

Emily the female Graveler, level twenty-five
    @ Quick Claw
    -Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw, Magnitude

Aria the female Togepi, level five
    -Growl, Charm

Caleb the male Zubat, level fourteen
    -Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite

Lucas the male Oddish, level eighteen
    @ Miracle Seed
    -Absorb, Sleep Powder, Cut, Poisonpowder
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

The artist formerly known as Phantasm.Angel

4. This post has been liked by:

@Kentucky Fried Torchic Thank you for the update and congratulations on your third gym badge! :D
    Good luck with the fourth gym leader battle! My advice for this battle is to use Umbreon (Dark-type Pokemon), Crobat (able to learn Bite) and/or Togetic (not affected by Ghost-type moves), i.e. the evolutions of the Pokemon that only evolve when they are happy. You could also use Graveler, as Gastly and its evolutions are Poison-type Pokemon and don't have Levitate yet in gen 2 games. :)

Well, I've had almost three weeks to get my Pokemon haircuts and collect Apricorns, but still no Crobat or Umbreon yet.

I arrived in Ecutreak City and quickly set to work using the last of my Poke Balls to get new potential members for my team. We picked up Byron the Eevee from Bill in Goldenrod, and then Mona the Magnemite was caught in a Fast Ball, Art Jelly the Tentacool blew through all of my Lure Balls but was snared by a Level Ball. It's a shame that I am not playing this in Gen IV so that I can really show off my strange collection of balls.

Forget that I said that.

Anyways, everything was going swimmingly. Caleb became a beautiful Golbat and got his eyesight while devouring Drowzee. Lucas evolved into Gloom as well. Everything was looking up. I stopped into the Burnt Tower and ran into my rival, Bluto. I was cutting through his team like it was nobody's business. Toby was doing really well, taking down a Croconaw that was three levels higher than him. After such a triumph, how could I pass up the chance for him to have a Zubat for dessert? Said Zubat was faster than my Flaffy and killed him with a critical hit Bite. This was our first loss. He was a good soldier, my second Pokemon on the team, and he will be sorely missed. Toby was the anchor of my team, waiting in reserve for when things went wrong and then he could go in and tank hits and take names. Now he's gone.

To top it off, I killed the Ratata that I found in the basement.

Mona the Magnemite took Toby's place. It brings some advantages, namely the immunity to Poison-types, but any are balanced by the extremely limited movepool that the Magnemite line has in Gen II. Naturally, you can choose between Thunder Shock or Zap Cannon. None of that sweet, sweet Thunderpunch action. Maybe I'll have enough money to teach him Thunder someday, but we'll see.

I ran into Bluto not long afterwards in Olivine, but he didn't want to fight, just to disparage the local gym leader and best girl Jasmine. I'll hit her up in the lighthouse later. If there's a better pick-up line than "hey look, our Magnemites are attracted to each other!", I'm still waiting to hear it. First, I went to the docks and fished. What would I snag? A Shellder? A Staryu? Or the magnificent Chinchou? Nope, just a Tentacool, the aforementioned Art Jelly.

But now my plan is to beat Morty, teach Art Jelly Surf, and then backtrack a bit to hopefully find some more interesting Water-type Pokemon like Poliwhirl or Seaking.

I'll fight Morty for the next update. Still have not found any Chesto Berry-analogues, so it might get really ugly without any Awakenings.

The party so far:

Ezra the male Quilava, level twenty-three
    @ Charcoal
    -Tackle, Quick Attack, Smokescreen, Ember

Emily the female Graveler, level twenty-six
    @ Quick Claw
    -Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw, Magnitude

Caleb the male Golbat, level twenty-five
    -Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite, Confuse Ray

Lucas the male Gloom, level twenty-two
    @ Miracle Seed
    -Absorb, Sleep Powder, Cut, Poisonpowder

Byron the male Eevee, level twenty
    -Tackle, Tail Whip, Sand-Attack, Growl

Mona the Magnemite, level twenty-four
    -Tackle, Thundershock, Supersonic, Thunder Wave

7. This post has been liked by:

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Torchic View Post
    I'll fight Morty for the next update. Still have not found any Chesto Berry-analogues, so it might get really ugly without any Awakenings.
    The Chesto Berry equivalent in Gen 2 is the Mint Berry! You can find one next to the moo moo milktank farm on Route 39!

Obviously this is Gen 4 and not Gen 2, but it's that berry tree! The mint berry is your sleep cure!

Sorry about your loss of Toby though. Flaaffy and Ampharos are such good mons, but I'm sure Mona will get the job done too. Those extra resistances will help for sure.
    /// /

9. This post has been liked by:

@Kentucky Fried Torchic Congratulations on catching new Pokemon! Sorry to hear about the loss of Toby. :/
    I see that your Eevee is still at level 20, which is the level at which you received it. This may sound silly, but it can't evolve into Umbreon if you don't level it up.
    Also, you might not want to evolve your Eevee until it reaches level 30, as it can learn Bite at that level and Umbreon can't learn that move.
    Good luck with the fourth gym leader battle! o/

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    The Chesto Berry equivalent in Gen 2 is the Mint Berry! You can find one next to the moo moo milktank farm on Route 39!

Obviously this is Gen 4 and not Gen 2, but it's that berry tree! The mint berry is your sleep cure!

Sorry about your loss of Toby though. Flaaffy and Ampharos are such good mons, but I'm sure Mona will get the job done too. Those extra resistances will help for sure.

Thank you so much! With the power of mint and berries, yet with a satisfying, tasty crunch, there is no way that we can fail!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel View Post
    @Kentucky Fried Torchic Congratulations on catching new Pokemon! Sorry to hear about the loss of Toby. :/
    I see that your Eevee is still at level 20, which is the level at which you received it. This may sound silly, but it can't evolve into Umbreon if you don't level it up.
    Also, you might not want to evolve your Eevee until it reaches level 30, as it can learn Bite at that level and Umbreon can't learn that move.
    Good luck with the fourth gym leader battle! o/
    My plan was to up my Eevee's happiness as much as possible by walking around and giving it haircuts before I started leveling him up so that he will have time to evolve before missing out on cool moves...but now I realize that this is a bit silly. Plus he's just about bald. I mean, in a perfect world, I would evolve Byron right at level 30 and thereby give him access to Bite and Confuse Ray, but, aside from the added survivability, there are not a whole lot of Umbreon moves that I want, as opposed to Espeon getting Psybeam at level 36. Bite is about on par with Faint Attack after all. I think that I will start leveling him up, but I'll have to be careful.

I also need to figure out how I am going to squeeze a Water-type Pokemon on this team...

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

Since Emily is weak to most of the remaining gyms, unless she's a good tank or defensive wall, may be a good idea to retire her.
    /// /