Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I Dream of Skarmory": A Pokemon Silver Version Nuzlocke with Entirely Too Many Rules

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

Looks like you've been doing pretty well so far! I'd definitely recommend going and cleaning house in Sprout Tower. Most of the trainers there use Bellsprout or Hoothoot so it'd provide some good EXP for your team, especially since both Toby and Ezra evolve around level 15-16 iirc.
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Pride of the Yevetha Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    The Second Night

We backtracked to the sunny skies of Route 30 with Toby and began making hay out of the Bug Catchers and Youngsters that I had dodged the eager gaze of on my first pass. But that wasn't enough to sate Toby the Mareep's growing bloodlust, so we stopped into a sacred space: the Sprout Tower.

Upon entering the building built to honor the most wonderful and cherished Pokemon in the world, I was filled with an immense sense of peace and fulfillment. But my Pokemon demanded sacrifice, and soon the air was rent with smoke and wool. The monks and their noble Pokemon said nothing unto the end. They accepted their fate with the dignity and grace that befitted their enlightenment. Ezra evolved into a Quilava, which is pretty cool though.

IMG_5627.jpg
    KFT wept.

The quietude of the decimated holy place was too much to take, so I took my ravenous team to the Ruins of Alph and found a new Pokemon, a strange Unown with a Steel-type Hidden Power. Unfortunately, I forgot about my theme for naming these Pokemon and so he ended up with the moniker "Finkel". Don't ask.

I made a beeline for the Union Cave and picked up a Geodude named Emily, and cleaned up Route 32 after grabbing the Old Rod, aka "device for getting infinite Gyarados". Toby evolved into a Flaffy while blowing out Fishermen with facts and logic and the strange collection of creatures I had assembled stood ready as we stared into the mouth of Union Cave.

The Team So Far:

Ezra the male Quilava, level fourteen
    -Tackle, Leer, Smokescreen, Ember

Toby the male Flaffy, level fifteen
    -Tackle, Growl, Thundershock

Finkel the Unown, level eight
    -Hidden Power (Steel)

Emily the female Geodude, level eleven
    -Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

The artist formerly known as Phantasm.Angel

3. This post has been liked by:

@Kentucky Fried Torchic Thank you for the update and congratulations on evolving and catching Pokemon! It's a good thing that your Unown has a Steel-type Hidden Power because it will help you battle the Geodude and Onix in the Union Cave. Good luck with your adventure! :)

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to Deoxys for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D

Special thanks to The Foogle for this beautiful pixel Necrozma Dusk Mane! :D
    Part of the Ultra Duo Set with Radiant Moon The Foogle! :D

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I love your team so far! So quirkly and cool. :D And lol, it's YOU TOWER! Even though you're a torchic now. But you'll always be a bellsprout to me. <3

How are you going with set battle style and the no item-buying? Have you looked up how many poke balls are actually available in-game as item pickups? OH ALSO! Are you going to get Kurt to make balls for you out of apricorns?! Because that would be a good way around not buying them. B)

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

Man that team is shaping up real nicely! Looking forward to how this turns out!
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel View Post
    @Kentucky Fried Torchic Thank you for the update and congratulations on evolving and catching Pokemon! It's a good thing that your Unown has a Steel-type Hidden Power because it will help you battle the Geodude and Onix in the Union Cave. Good luck with your adventure! :)
    I actually thought that Finkel might be on the chopping block, but you proved to be quite prescient and the Unown got a healthy workout! Got through Union Cave a few days ago, but I am going to wait until I clear out the Slowpoke Well before doing another update. Maybe for tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I love your team so far! So quirkly and cool. :D And lol, it's YOU TOWER! Even though you're a torchic now. But you'll always be a bellsprout to me. <3

How are you going with set battle style and the no item-buying? Have you looked up how many poke balls are actually available in-game as item pickups? OH ALSO! Are you going to get Kurt to make balls for you out of apricorns?! Because that would be a good way around not buying them. B)
    Much like a Bagon dreams of soaring high as a Salamence, this Torchic's deepest desire is to enjoy the serenity and majesty of being a Bellsprout.

I am actually doubting that there will be too much of a ball shortage, unless I run into something annoying that refuses to be caught, like a a Tauros. I already picked up a second or third Great Ball, and with my type restrictions in place, I still haven't used up the five Poke Balls I was given by Professor Elm's aide. Getting Kurt to work for me is a good work around though! I might need to spend a week stocking up on Heavy Balls, haha.

As for the set battle style, it has not really come into play yet, although I am dreading the rematch with Bluto the rival. Switching Flaffy into Croconaw without any healing items sounds like a recipe for disaster, but so does trying to have her tank him way through his Zubat and Gastly on top of that. Maybe I should stop into the Ilex Forest and hope that I find an Oddish? But if it is a Bug-type, I wouldn't be able to catch it without the Hive Badge. Lots weighing on my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Man that team is shaping up real nicely! Looking forward to how this turns out!
    Thank you! Hopefully they'll be able to go the distance! If I can get an Unown entered into the Hall of Fame, I will consider mine a life well lived.
    Last edited by Kentucky Fried Torchic; 03-28-2019 at 09:58 PM.

8. This post has been liked by:

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Torchic View Post
    Much like a Bagon dreams of soaring high as a Salamence, this Torchic's deepest desire is to enjoy the serenity and majesty of being a Bellsprout.

I am actually doubting that there will be too much of a ball shortage, unless I run into something annoying that refuses to be caught, like a a Tauros. I already picked up a second or third Great Ball, and with my type restrictions in place, I still haven't used up the five Poke Balls I was given by Professor Elm's aide. Getting Kurt to work for me is a good work around though! I might need to spend a week stocking up on Heavy Balls, haha.

As for the set battle style, it has not really come into play yet, although I am dreading the rematch with Bluto the rival. Switching Flaffy into Croconaw without any healing items sounds like a recipe for disaster, but so does trying to have her tank him way through his Zubat and Gastly on top of that. Maybe I should stop into the Ilex Forest and hope that I find an Oddish? But if it is a Bug-type, I wouldn't be able to catch it without the Hive Badge. Lots weighing on my mind!
    Wonderful. I hope to one day see that come true. :,)

Oh that's true. You have so many restrictions. Tough stuff. Yeah, I'm sure he'll be useful.

Not really? That's good though! Honestly that sounds like one of the scariest things in a Nuzlocke. Maybe it's not so bad in the older generations because there isn't so much variance? Whereas trainers have basically whatever they want in SM. xD

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

The Third (and Fourth) Night
    Before getting too far into the Union Cave, I had to work to level up Finkel, and I can honestly say that the little f-bomb is growing on me! Not only is he the only guy I have who is super-effective against Rock-types, but he also is the only member of the team with bonafide fan-art! Wow!

Now, when I started this game, I named myself “Ryan Sr” in the anticipation of having a Togepi who I would name “Ryan Jr”. But my egg hatched into a girl Togepi, so now I am forced to spend the rest of the game walking around with the orphaned set-up to a joke as my name. Anyway, yeah, welcome, Aria the Togepi, to the team. She hatched in Union Cave while I was getting Finkel up to par, showing just how much we have been walking around since beating Falkner.

On the other side of the Union Cave was Azalea Town, a place where people worship and cherish Slowpoke. Which is silly, because everyone knows that Bellsprout is the one true Pokémon deity, and he is a jealous god.

Anyways, went to go see a man named Kurt about some apricorns, but before I could ask him about his authentic hand-crafted, artisanal, GMO-free Poke Balls, he began ranting about Team Rocket and ran off to fall down a well somewhere.

Sigh.

Now, the Slowpoke Well was the first time in the game where I could be assured that I would be able to catch whatever Pokémon I encountered. Rather than the titular Dopey Pokémon, I found a Zubat! I think that after some grinding he will be pretty useful with dark- and flying-type attacks. The only trouble is that I have to get him to level 12 for him to learn Bite and start carrying his own weight. Oh yeah, I named him Caleb to keep with my naming convention.

Cleared Slowpoke Well of Team Rocket, I guess that makes me a hero. Not much to say about it besides that, the Team Rocket grunts were not an exceptionally tough group of customers.

With those goons driven out, I not only got a nice Lure Ball from Kurt for my trouble, but also could go into the Azalea Pokémon gym. A lot of bait and switch ensued to get Caleb to level up, and before I knew it, I was staring into the shameless eyes of one who specializes in bug-type Pokémon. I cannot blame him entirely though. When your parents name you “Bugsy” it’s not like you’re going to discover an affinity for electric-types.

I dropped off some Pokémon in the box and went up against him with a team of Caleb the Zubat, Emily the Geodude, and Toby the Flaffy. Caleb flitted in and out against Bugsy’s Metapod and Kakuna, even landing his first attack, a Supersonic, on the latter. But Toby did all of the real work clearing those guys out and even took on the big bad Scyther by himself. One more Quick Attack would have ended it, but Toby struck a blow for freedom and single-handedly took out Bugsy’s prize Pokémon and gained two levels for his troubles. Hopefully this means that he will be able to do the same against Bluto’s Croconaw.

With that, we got the Hive Badge, but the shadow of the infamous Bluto looms over the horizon.

Three questions for the audience:

1. Which three Pokemon do you think I should send up against Bluto in the upcoming battle?
    2. Should I start raising Aria the Togepi or dump her in a box until after I beat Whitney?
    3. Do you think I should allow myself to purchase TMs in Goldenrod City? I certainly have money to burn and headbutt is such a great attack that almost everyone can learn, plus Fire Punch on Flaffy? Mmmmm. But on the other hand, it opens the door to an Abra with all the Elemental Punches, which seems like a wee bit of cheating there. Maybe limit myself to buying only one copy of each? But then what about Headbutt and Rock Smash?

The team so far:

Ezra the male Quilava, level sixteen
    -Tackle, Leer, Smokescreen, Ember

Toby the male Flaffy, level seventeen
    -Tackle, Growl, Thundershock

Finkel the Unown, level fourteen
    -Hidden Power (Steel)

Emily the female Geodude, level fifteen
    -Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw

Aria the female Togepi, level five
    -Charm, Growl

Caleb the male Zubat, level ten
    -Leech Life, Supersonic

11. This post has been liked by:

Get a sprout.

Get an abra.

HEADBUTT MILKTANK IN THE UTTERS

·»There's no advantage to hurrying through life«·
    Want to amass your SwSh pokedex or grab that sweeeet competitive pokemon?
    Hop on over to the Sword and Shield Trade Thread

13. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by N7 View Post

Get a sprout.

Get an abra.

HEADBUTT MILKTANK IN THE UTTERS
    This guy gets it

15. This post has been liked by:

Deoxys