Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I Dream of Skarmory": A Pokemon Silver Version Nuzlocke with Entirely Too Many Rules

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Finkel is definitely my favourite so far. Man he looks sick spouting a steel-type hidden power!

Congratulations on the Hive Badge, my dude! What a good fight. As for Aria, SHOULDA NAMED HER RYAN JR. ANYWAY. WHY CAN'T A GIRL BE RYAN JR.? Exactly. Anyway, yeah you definitely should use her. I'd say that her future flying type counts for her being a flying type for the sake of keeping her in your party.

As for TMs, you diiiiiiddd say no purchasing of items ever. So I'd say to make up for that, you should allow yourself to purchase one of each TM. Or, idk, maybe you could have a weird rule where you can purchase x amount of TMs per gym badge you have? Not at one time, but ever. So like, 1 TM per badge. Or 1 TM per badge until you get your fifth badge, when you can buy 2 TMs per subsequent badge (so only 2 for badges 5-8). That would equal 12 TMs total by the time you have 8 badges. I don't know. XD Thought it might have fit with your ruleset somehow.

Definitely Toby up against your rival! Can't get paralysed by gastly's lick, and strong against the zubat and croconaw. Maybe Emily and Finkel otherwise. Not Emily against the croconaw though, obviously. xD

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

@Kentucky Fried Torchic Thank you for the update and congratulations on the Hive Badge! :)
    Why didn't you use your Quilava against Bugsy's Pokemon? :o
    To answer your questions : you should use Toby, Emily and Ezra against your rival, you should not use Aria in battle until after you beat Whitney because Aria is a Normal-type Pokemon (but you should definitely start increasing her happiness now!), and you should not purchase TMs in Goldenrod Department Store because of your rules (but you should allow yourself to get TMs as prizes from Goldenrod Game Corner, as a way around not buying them).
    Good luck with your Nuzlocke! o/

@Suicune's Fire Toby can get paralysed by Gastly's Lick! Electric-type Pokemon were not immune to paralysis until gen 6.

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to N7 for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D
    Part of the Sinjoh Duo with N7! :D

3. This post has been liked by:

Green 

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel View Post
    @Suicune's Fire Toby can get paralysed by Gastly's Lick! Electric-type Pokemon were not immune to paralysis until gen 6.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? I had no idea! O: I actually briefly tried looking it up but I clearly I missed that part. xD There you go.

Kinnie's GCEA Card

Pride of the Yevetha Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Finkel is definitely my favourite so far. Man he looks sick spouting a steel-type hidden power!

Congratulations on the Hive Badge, my dude! What a good fight. As for Aria, SHOULDA NAMED HER RYAN JR. ANYWAY. WHY CAN'T A GIRL BE RYAN JR.? Exactly. Anyway, yeah you definitely should use her. I'd say that her future flying type counts for her being a flying type for the sake of keeping her in your party.

As for TMs, you diiiiiiddd say no purchasing of items ever. So I'd say to make up for that, you should allow yourself to purchase one of each TM. Or, idk, maybe you could have a weird rule where you can purchase x amount of TMs per gym badge you have? Not at one time, but ever. So like, 1 TM per badge. Or 1 TM per badge until you get your fifth badge, when you can buy 2 TMs per subsequent badge (so only 2 for badges 5-8). That would equal 12 TMs total by the time you have 8 badges. I don't know. XD Thought it might have fit with your ruleset somehow.

Definitely Toby up against your rival! Can't get paralysed by gastly's lick, and strong against the zubat and croconaw. Maybe Emily and Finkel otherwise. Not Emily against the croconaw though, obviously. xD
    I just hope that all the adulation doesn't pressure Finkel too much. He's got a lot riding on him! Not sure how well he would do against Bluto though; Zubat's Leech Life and Gastly's Lick would both be super-effective on him.

Now, see here! I can either upend traditional naming conventions or my theme for nicknames, but I will not do both! I actually do have a little cousin now named "Rian", so there is, admittedly, a precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel View Post
    @Kentucky Fried Torchic Thank you for the update and congratulations on the Hive Badge! :)
    Why didn't you use your Quilava against Bugsy's Pokemon? :o
    To answer your questions : you should use Toby, Emily and Ezra against your rival, you should not use Aria in battle until after you beat Whitney because Aria is a Normal-type Pokemon (but you should definitely start increasing her happiness now!), and you should not purchase TMs in Goldenrod Department Store because of your rules (but you should allow yourself to get TMs as prizes from Goldenrod Game Corner, as a way around not buying them).
    Good luck with your Nuzlocke! o/
    I kept Ezra out of the fight because I was confident that Emily the Geodude would be a good enough anchor for my team in case anything went wrong. I wanted my new Zubat to get some of that sweet, sweet Gym Leader experience. Plus, I think being in a gym battle gives a boost to friendship, which could help speed up his Crobat-ed-ness.

You're right on Aria the Togepi. I think I'll keep her in my team and walk around with her, but hold off on using her in battle for a bit.

Sigh, I guess I did write down in the rules that I am not buying any items, so no items it shall be. Pity, the TMs in Gen II are pretty lackluster; I mean, why would I need two copies of Sleep Talk?; but it's the path I chose.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

The artist formerly known as Phantasm.Angel

6. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Torchic View Post
    I just hope that all the adulation doesn't pressure Finkel too much. He's got a lot riding on him! Not sure how well he would do against Bluto though; Zubat's Leech Life and Gastly's Lick would both be super-effective on him.

Now, see here! I can either upend traditional naming conventions or my theme for nicknames, but I will not do both! I actually do have a little cousin now named "Rian", so there is, admittedly, a precedent.
    Oh I'm sure he can handle it. I'm sure he's had cameras in his face and swarming paparazzi before. ;) And oh duh, of course he does. I for some reason kept imagining him as a steel type because of his hidden power. xD No, me, he's still a psychic type. In that case, maybe Caleb as a backup? He wouldn't last long in a real fight though haha. Sorry, Caleb.

Kinnie's GCEA Card

Got Emily up to level sixteen to learn Magnitude, and then it was time to fight Bluto with a team consisting of her, Toby, and Ezra. Bluto started out with his Gastly, but Emily dodged his Hypnosis attack and OHKO'd it with Magnitude. Then he sent out his Croconaw and I switched to Toby for the main event. Flaffy is surprisingly tanky; he withstood a Water Gun and two Leer-boosted Scratches while unleashing Thundershock after Thundershock for victory. I let Toby take care of his Zubat too, but, alas, there was no OHKO there.

After he ranted a bit, my rival departed and I was free to venture into the Ilex Forest. There, I found Lucas the Oddish and added him to my team. I took him to the Union Cave to get him caught up a bit, but he managed to get all the way up to level sixteen without a single rest break at the Pokemon Center. Impressive! However, his presence means that someone has to be boxed and it looks like it will be Finkel for the time being, so that Aria and Caleb can keep getting those sweet, sweet friendship points by walking around with me.

I saved the lost Farfetch'd, further cementing my status as a legend, and got some new TMs: Headbutt and Sweet Scent. (Gen II was so hit and miss.) Then we arrived in Goldenrod City and I decided to make some quick pit-stops to get more potential team members in anticipation of our greatest challenge yet: Whitney and her frightening Miltank. Unfortunately, out of the three new areas that I tried to catch new Pokemon in, I only got a male Nidoran named Jason for my trouble.

Next update: I desperately pray that I can get a Sun Stone from the Bug-Catching Contest, preparations continue apace for the clash with the next gym leader, and maybe some nice evolutions.

So, another update, further questions for you, the faithful readers:

In Goldenrod City, there is a wealth of Pokemon that I can obtain, and I would love your help in deciding which to pick up:
    1. Eevee: It would be a bit of a wait, but I kind of like the idea of raising three Pokemon that evolve by friendship. With all of the poison-type Pokemon that I am picking up Umbreon could be good for covering them, but in Silver Version and with the rules I have in place, that is the only evolutionary choice that I have for me.
    2. Abra: The easy choice, although the lack of elemental punches is kind of a mood dampener. Nonetheless, Kadabra hits hard and looks good doing it. He's super fragile, which can be a problem getting a switch-in in the set battle style.
    3. Sandshrew: Adds some mild type coverage, although we already have Emily the Geodude and Nidoking would be a sexier choice. There is a Dig TM somewhere nearby, but otherwise Sandshrew and Sandslash aren't going to learn any ground-type attacks for a long, long while.
    4. Spearow: Not only do I have to wait until after beating Whitney, but I also already have two (potential) flying-type Pokemon, although the boosted experience points that would come from Kenya having a different original trainer could be nice.
    5. Dratini: As much as I love her, I wouldn't be able to get one until after Clair, and by that point I can maybe find one in the Dragon Den anyways.

In addition to that, do you think that Jason the Nidoran should be added to the team? I already have two poison-types, and a ground-type, but nobody on my team knows any fighting-type attacks.

The team so far:

Ezra the male Quilava, level seventeen
    -Tackle, Leer, Smokescreen, Ember

Toby the male Flaffy, level seventeen
    -Tackle, Growl, Thundershock

Emily the female Geodude, level seventeen
    -Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw, Magnitude

Aria the female Togepi, level five
    -Charm, Growl

Caleb the male Zubat, level twelve
    -Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite

Lucas the male Oddish, level sixteen
    -Absorb, Stun Spore, Cut, Poison Powder

9. This post has been liked by:

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

I'd say go with Eevee for that dark type coverage!
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

11. This post has been liked by:

Janobii can't save you Madder Hatter's Avatar
    Hmph. Not enough death in this so far to entertain me. Where is the bloodshed?
    Avatar image credit to Penpeaches

Quote Originally Posted by Madder Hatter View Post
    Hmph. Not enough death in this so far to entertain me. Where is the bloodshed?

Janobii can't save you Madder Hatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Torchic View Post
    Excellent.
    Avatar image credit to Penpeaches