Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    @Neo Emolga THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!!! Congratulations, my dude! :D I'm so happy for you! Oh my gosh, the pixie guys! xD Sounds like they'd be awesome to work for. Awesome stuff getting there. :3
    Aww thanks! I'm feeling really good right now, that's for sure. :3

2. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I am ready to start DANCING!

I recently got offered a job to work for Ethicon, which is part of Johnson and Johnson. Now, I've been working there as a contractor for a while, but this is different. This is for a full-time, permanent role! I have been wanting something like this ever since 2005! It's always been contractor roles ever since I graduated college undergrad, but this is the real deal now. I'm excited and it's working with a great team that I've worked with before. They're cool, they're friendly, and they're a lot of fun to work with. And they design really cool stuff too, which consists of tools and equipment for surgery. These things save lives! Also, these were the guys that got a thrill out of me dressing up like a pixie for Project Pixie stuff.

After putting in my two week notice for my current contractor position, I was told I have four vacation days accrued. I thought I only had two, so I'm taking the 18th through the 23rd off. The 24th I have to go in to turn in my laptop and badge, as well as gather my stuff from my desk. Then I get another four days off and start this neat new position on the 29th. So it's almost like a ten-day vacation! Meanwhile, everyone's been really nice about wishing the best for me and that they were happy to have the chance to work with me. Dang, that stuff feels good.
    Hey congrats man! Major kudos to you on landing the new job! Sounds like a big dream to hit something like that. Good luck with the job and have a great and fun time off when it comes dude! Well deserved if I must say so. I'm sure you'll have just as great a time working the new job. Especially with all the new benefits and pay.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

4. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Hey congrats man! Major kudos to you on landing the new job! Sounds like a big dream to hit something like that. Good luck with the job and have a great and fun time off when it comes dude! Well deserved if I must say so. I'm sure you'll have just as great a time working the new job. Especially with all the new benefits and pay.
    Thanks dude! You guys are awesome. :3

Given, being a temporary contractor isn't bad, but it's not the kind of thing to do if you're looking for long-term career growth and job security. Temporary contractor roles usually only keep you on for the duration of the project and then, well, it's goodbye. And that can be tough because you meet and work with a lot of great people, but then you need to leave them behind. They're good if you're just coming out of college or so and need something quick, but yeah, it's not something you want to be forever locked into. But on the other hand, you do see a very wide variety of companies and projects.

And yeah, I need these benefits. I shovel out $4400 a year for my own medical insurance plans, and I don't even have dental. :P

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

So tonight was great. Legit, so great.

I met a girl...

I say that loosely. We had met very briefly before but had never been properly introduced, and tonight we actually talked for like a solid half hour and only stopped because her brother was there and wanted to go home.

About a month back we went on a youth group camp, and took a small group of people from a nearby church with us. Since then, we have been doing combined Young Adults events with this church. That's where I met this girl.

Two weeks ago, we had a bonfire at someones house, and I noticed her there, however we barely spoke outside of the game the group was playing. However, and I am not quite sure why I did as it could have very easily come off as creepy, I added her on Facebook and she accepted it fairly quickly.

Last week my church had a drive in movie night where we stuck a big-a** screen on the side of the building and everyone parked their cars in front of it and watched the movie from there. However we didn't talk that night outside of when she approached my car to make sure hers wasn't impeding my view.

Tonight however, was great. There was a movie night at someones house from her church. I got there at the same time as my friend who went to school with her, and she approached the pair of us, and did the whole awkward "Jacob?" name confirmation and chatted with the pair of us. She had to duck home and the movie started so I got a seat and watched the movie. Once it was over, my friend was doing something else and she came over and started chatting to me. Asked what I do with myself.

I gotta say I have noticed something this year. I have two jobs. I am the Youth Coordinator at my church, and I work casually in a liquid seaweed fertilizer factory. So when someone asks what I do, I open with the Youth Coordinator job, as it sounds more interesting and important, and comes with some authority. But unfortunately, everyone seems more interested in the factory job. She was the same.

She starts talking about this strawberry plant she has been trying to grow, and asking what fertilizer would be good for it, which I had no idea. That's when my mate came back and reminded me of the app. My boss at the factory is developing an app which basically allows you to search what crop you are growing and it will tell you what of our fertilizers to use. It isn't released yet, but because I am the only android user he knows and also have a history of programming and development, I have been beta testing it for him.

So I whip out the phone and the three of us spend the next few minuted huddled around it looking up what fertilizer is best for her strawberries, and us recommending different products based on how hard they are for us to make.

We talked for probably another half hour or so and it was great. Legit, I could not be happier with how tonight went. We have a lot in common (including us both freaking the hell out when my mate let me know of the giant huntsman on the door behind me), and she is smart, hilarious and a solid 10/10.

Like honestly, one more good night like this and I will ask her if she wants to go grab a drink sometime. And for once, I actually have a good feeling about this...

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

@Desolate Divine Awww, that's so great! Hope it all goes well! Who would have thought you could impress a girl with your knowledge of fertilisers haha.
    @Neo Emolga Wow that's fantastic!! Congratulations Neo! You really deserve it and I'm so happy for you!! Also geez insurance is expensive there...
    GCEA

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

So the story continues...

When I met this chick two weeks ago, and we talked about me working in a fertilizer factory, she jokingly said to get her some for her strawberry plant.

In the weeks since, we had tagged eachother in stuff on facebook once or twice, but never really talked outside of that. Then this week, I took a slight risk. I asked the boss if I could buy a bottle of fertilizer. And as expected he told me to just take it, so I did, and sent her a picture of it saying basically saying "Well, you asked for some fertilizer..."

She was so happy with it, which is great because the alternative reaction would be she is kidding and thinks I am just a social moron who can't read cues. Anyway, we were talking about how I would get it to her, and she asked if my church's young adults were going to their hang out this week (the last two weeks they have invited us to join them. First time I went but she wasn't there and second week, nobody from my church was going. I drove past but her car wasn't there, so I figured she wasn't, and went home), but I wasn't able to. There is a pool bar my group usually goes to and a few people were seeming a little pissy that we hadn't gone to the bar for a few weeks, and I told her I should probably go there, just to keep the peace a bit, and that we'd figure something out.

Anyway, this afternoon I made sure we were actually going there, then in the groupchat we have between our churches, posted an invite for them to join us. She responded that she would be coming and bringing about six people.

So I got to the bar, and her and her group were already there, got a table, and started playing a game against a guy who I know from the church, which I proceeded to win against whilst she was spectating, which is always good for a little confidence boost. For the next game, we managed to rope her and her brother into playing who were both going on about how they're hopeless at pool and it's probably a bad idea, but we got them playing anyway. And look, they weren't wrong, which is good because it meant I was coaching her a bit and helping her out. And at one point she unexpectedly sunk a ball and I was the only person to see it, so she was pretty happy with me at that point.

But yeah, after the game, we were chatting, and I mentioned having the fertilizer in the car, so went to grab that and some camera gear I was lending to a mate who was also there, which she was really happy and grateful for. After that her and I talked a fair bit. And everything was just so easy with her. Even something as simple as what we had on this week became such good conversation. I mentioned that I am going to see Hilltop Hoods (an Australian Hip-Hop band) play this week, and turns out she really likes some of their stuff. We are talking about my studies, and what I will do once I decide I have had enough of my youth work, and I mentioned maybe photography, and that I love automotive and astro-photography. This was semi intentional, as I had done some research on her facebook, and seen a few photos and posts about the moon, and figured she was interested in it. Naturally, she was excited to hear that and see some of my shots, and started asking if I'd teach her how to shoot the sky like I do. Unfortunately, the conversation was interrupted by her brother who was her lift home, asking if she'd be okay if they went home. She left, but asked if I'd be coming along to their church's event the next week, which I plan on doing.

But yeah, I have an even better feeling about this girl. Most of the night, she spent chatting with me, when there are other people she knows better there, and seems like she may be interested and actually wants to see me. I hope it works out. I could really do with a win.