Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GCEA Team Galactic Diamond Version (Open Discussion)

Hey everyone, I am considering starting up a second version of GCEA plat. The new version would focus on the actions of Team Galactic. This new version would be different from Plat in a couple of ways. I wanted to open up a discussion for those of you who ive talked to or have been suggested to be part of this team.

1. Your character will be joining a villain team. So the character will take part in illegal actions. This doesnt mean your character has to be evil. There will be options for your character to run counter to the team if discussed privately. However it is and will be assumed that your character is okay with the actions of a criminal organization.
    2. Instead of traditional gym battles, Team Galactic Grunts will be tested to move to the next rank. Each rank will give trainers access to different pokemon.
    3. Stealing pokemon and items will be a part of the story.
    4. There will be set plot points that take place. The story will be directed towards them.
    5. Rash actions or foolish plans can lead to jail or other more extreme options.
    6. Team Galatic and Team Plat are in the same world so the actions of one will affect the actions of another. There may be a crossover battle if that works out.

@Dragon Master Mike @Lychee @Truly @brandon_g

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

2. This post has been liked by:

Oooh, a villains team! I'm totally up for this.

1. Being generally OK with breaking laws is probably fine for Palila. Illegal doesn't always mean unethical, tbh.

2. Makes sense they wouldn't bother with defeating traditional gyms. Being tested to move to the next rank sounds fine and interesting, but if we are going to try to run a similar gameplay style, I'd like the test to be a pokemon battle similar to gyms. Maybe it is defeating a team rocket grunt who is a level above them?

3. I figure stealing pokemon and items will be the way we GAIN items and pokemon as villains- instead of wild encounters and positive, helpful NPC quests, we see someones Pokemon and take it? Will we need a new system for these things, or will we still be using points to capture pokemon?

4. Plot points, story direction. Check check check. Its already happening in Platinum and every other game so I figure everyone is ok with that.

5. Rash actions or foolish plans leading to jail is.... interesting. Most of the main characters are under 18. Juvie? Ok. Being detained and having to pay bail or something? Sure. Actual jail? Seems pretty extreme for a teenager!
    I love having repercussions for actions and choices, but it is still a pokemon world, right? If we are going to break the law, I hope the justice system can be well defined enough for us to know what genre of punishment our characters are in for. Roleplaying being in jail for 15 years might get boring :P

6. Being in simultaneous world stories is cool! Hopefully we can function at approximately the same time-rate. I figure if the DMs move time along in the threads as close to each other as possible, we shouldn't have too much trouble if it comes to a crossover battle (if one team ends up weeks in time ahead of the other, imma call shenanigans!)
    The idea that one story will influence another will probably keep me reading both, if I have the time- just to be able to watch the whole show (if that makes sense- like game of thrones, where POV skips from one story to another, and they can intertwine. So cool!). It would still be alright to read Platinum GoodGuys ver. right?

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Oooh, a villains team! I'm totally up for this.

1. Being generally OK with breaking laws is probably fine for Palila. Illegal doesn't always mean unethical, tbh.

2. Makes sense they wouldn't bother with defeating traditional gyms. Being tested to move to the next rank sounds fine and interesting, but if we are going to try to run a similar gameplay style, I'd like the test to be a pokemon battle similar to gyms. Maybe it is defeating a team rocket grunt who is a level above them?

3. I figure stealing pokemon and items will be the way we GAIN items and pokemon as villains- instead of wild encounters and positive, helpful NPC quests, we see someones Pokemon and take it? Will we need a new system for these things, or will we still be using points to capture pokemon?

4. Plot points, story direction. Check check check. Its already happening in Platinum and every other game so I figure everyone is ok with that.

5. Rash actions or foolish plans leading to jail is.... interesting. Most of the main characters are under 18. Juvie? Ok. Being detained and having to pay bail or something? Sure. Actual jail? Seems pretty extreme for a teenager!
    I love having repercussions for actions and choices, but it is still a pokemon world, right? If we are going to break the law, I hope the justice system can be well defined enough for us to know what genre of punishment our characters are in for. Roleplaying being in jail for 15 years might get boring :P

6. Being in simultaneous world stories is cool! Hopefully we can function at approximately the same time-rate. I figure if the DMs move time along in the threads as close to each other as possible, we shouldn't have too much trouble if it comes to a crossover battle (if one team ends up weeks in time ahead of the other, imma call shenanigans!)
    The idea that one story will influence another will probably keep me reading both, if I have the time- just to be able to watch the whole show (if that makes sense- like game of thrones, where POV skips from one story to another, and they can intertwine. So cool!). It would still be alright to read Platinum GoodGuys ver. right?

Regarding that last point, when I wrote platinums story, I actually wrote out each in game day and what events happen. Basically, unless a player choice really makes it impossible, each day will start and end with the plan.

The way Max and I would make this happen is look at that plan, and time the encounters based on that. If the real world time doesn't line up it may just mean side quests for one story whilst the other catches up.

And you can still look at Platinum haha

5. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

I would be down with this, but I am unsure if I could handle 2 stories. Will this be after blue ends?

Also the part about Rash actions concerns me... You know thats my speciality lol.
    The all new and improved Broadcasting Duo is here! We have a new banner, a new look and still more great improvements to come! What are you waiting for? Come on over and check us out! We promise, you won't be disappointed!
    www.broadcastingduo.com

__________________________________________________ ________________________
    GCEA Stats:
    Decimation Blue
    Galactic Diamond

Let's say I'm of two minds.
    I think the really fun part of playing a "different" character -- be it a troublemaker, a thief, a jerk, or someone truly evil -- is doing it under the radar, putting them up against "normal," good characters. Part of what makes Matthias and Palila great characters is their context: Amy, Sophie, Tony, Marina. If you take Pali away from mild-mannered Marina and the straight-edge girls, she doesn't shine quite as brightly in comparison. If you put Matthias in a group of Team Fu thugs, he's not going to stand out. It's fine for an origin story, or a bit of character-building flavor (see his nod to Team Rocket Grunts Jesse & James a little while back). But I think the "natural fit" for them will end up with them more or less fitting in -- not what you want for a story arc.

(Or maybe it is, it's been shown in the past I have no clue what you all want out of your games/stories.) Point being, there's not a lot of tension when life is good. At the very least, it changes what kind of story you're telling... a lot. I'm envisioning less, "we have to run away and get home! but also do gyms" and more "we have to steal pokemon and rise through the ranks of organized crime! and also get home." Less The Hobbit survival and more Indiana Jones heists. Is that even close to what you envision?

All that said, I had an earlier chat with Lychee and asked 'em to sell me on it -- and they did. I said, "I've set this character up to make my own fun in the main storyline without being too disruptive, to be a side-character. How do I play this in the villainous team?" And Lychee told me, "I think he just goes back to piracy."

And, well, I guess that's fine.

I do wonder about some of your conflicting points though: "You will be stealing pokemon!" vs "Risky stuff will send you to jail." Stealing Pokemon seems pretty risky! (Also, stealing from players? Eh? Ehhh? I'm into a little PvP.)

Also curious (and a little disappointed?) about potentially not facing gym leaders to control higher level Pokemon. I know you've got a replacement for that, but I always thought Rocket Grunts (etc) did the gyms like everyone else.

Anyway, I'm not sure what exactly you wanted me to comment on. I intended my current character pitch for the context of the main game (a large cast of centrally-vanilla "the player character in a Pokemon video game" characters), and Team Galactic is a different context. That's not to say I'm against the idea.

And actually, I just scrolled up. Knowing there'll be a little more freedom with the timeline sounds liberating. Bring on the side team.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I will say as someone who plays a rocket grunt in BB I have yet to face any gym leaders for my promotions. Granted there’s not been much opportunity for it, but she has no badges at the moment. It’s allowed for my character to have a lot more flexibility with her actions in regards to where she is, who she meets, and what info she’s privy to. So don’t be too worried about that, as in my experience it’s been fun regardless.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Nobles character in blue is the best example or a grunt albeit her team isnt normally villainous.

To addrss some of your questions.

1. Stealing is a crime but you won't nessearly be robbing people by force. Granted that will be an option at certain points. Stealing can be as subtle as hacking a pc, or taking a pokemon when someones not looking. You will also be able to directly capture pokemon in the wild.
    2. Grunts will have access to pokemon. With the ranks ups you will unlock new groups of pokemon. Before you ask it wont be all pokemon. Youll still need to capture or steal if you see another you want.
    3. Be smart about crime! If you attempt to rob a store in the middle of the day theres a high chance youll get caught.
    4. You can battle gym leaders. Since youll be mostly be stealth. No one will know you and the better you are about not being known the easier it will be to do whatever everyone else does with freedom. But like in many games to much bs can build up a reputation which is why i said characters could end up locked up.
    4. Getting home should be a priority, however team Galactic will be more like a series of jobs where certain items will need to be stolen to help the bosses reach their objectives.
    5. Your character can be a decent person, i think any character joining should know that this story is about crime. So if anyone at all joining said, my character could never do any of that. They wouldnt be allowed in this specific story. We have plat which can give them the straight and narrow path.
    6. Like any gang recruiting kids, its all about making you feel part of a family and letting you be free to an extent. However just like a gang the punishments are tough.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

I for one think I could pull off such a character, but it would have to be an all new character from Brandon, which will be weird for me to do cause of how long I been writing Brandon's character in GCEA.
    The all new and improved Broadcasting Duo is here! We have a new banner, a new look and still more great improvements to come! What are you waiting for? Come on over and check us out! We promise, you won't be disappointed!
    www.broadcastingduo.com

__________________________________________________ ________________________
    GCEA Stats:
    Decimation Blue
    Galactic Diamond

Do jobs, rise ranks, gets promoted, lead your own squad. Get home.

Should people re-use their sign-up from Plat (if it's, say, Palila transfering over)?

I don't know if I approve of stealing in GCEA games!

Now, if you don't mind, I have to write my latest encounter where Matthias breaks into the local Pokemon center to steal blank ID cards to forge fake identities for the rest of the team.

13. This post has been liked by: