Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

[Open Discussion] GCEA Galactic Diamond Skill System

Posted with Max's permission

Max has been working on a simple skill system for use in Galactic Diamond. Max wanted to keep things as simple as possible, so here's what we were discussing.

During missions for Team Galactic, 1d100 rolls will be used to determine the outcome of certain actions. Max would do the roll himself and post the result. Dice rolls would ONLY be used during these missions.

Characters will all have different roles, such as Thief or Hacker, that will give them bonuses on certain actions. You will be able to increase your bonus, possibly by successfully completing missions.

What do you guys think? Also, what kind of roles would you want to see for your character?

@Lychee @Truly @brandon_g @Rival Max @Shruikan

I'm cool to have a basic skills system, and dice rolls to determine success. It makes sense that unlike the "good guys" in the universe who can run on roleplay and story alone, people on the bad team aren't supposed to be successful all the time. Dice rolls is a way of making it impartial.

In terms of assigned roles I think Palila might be a Pokemon Battler, or something that's streetwise and athletic but not tech or brawl.

I am down for the roles and skill system. I think the ones before such tech, fighter, pokemon battler, etc works fine.
    The all new and improved Broadcasting Duo is here! We have a new banner, a new look and still more great improvements to come! What are you waiting for? Come on over and check us out! We promise, you won't be disappointed!
    www.broadcastingduo.com

__________________________________________________ ________________________
    GCEA Stats:
    Decimation Blue
    Galactic Diamond

I'd rather have skills & dice in a game where the players otherwise struggle to influence the world, ie Jacob's game. Where that isn't an issue, I'd rather have the freedom to try something wacky (or even in character!) that might be outside of our designated skillset. (And, since I'll be rebutted in this way: obviously we can try anything, but my point is that I don't want to be arbitrarily restricted. Rules systems should be about giving power to the players involved, not restricting it.)

Also, has anyone considered how frustrating that might be to run? You can make rolls for a forum game but it's tedious. What will require a roll and what won't? Will Max ask for rolls, or will the players as to make them? Will you use a system with more typical "smart/strong/quick/likable" stats? Or will you go with something more like PbtA?

What Lychee said, that "we aren't heroes so we shouldn't succeed all the time," I disagree with. We are protagonists of our own story, and failure means what, imprisonment? Where as the heroes in Jacob's tightly controlled game can just take whatever their dealt and roll with it, a failure for our team potentially means being removed from the game.

Idk man, I'll work on something. I just don't think it's necessary.

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    I'd rather have skills & dice in a game where the players otherwise struggle to influence the world, ie Jacob's game. Where that isn't an issue, I'd rather have the freedom to try something wacky (or even in character!) that might be outside of our designated skillset. (And, since I'll be rebutted in this way: obviously we can try anything, but my point is that I don't want to be arbitrarily restricted. Rules systems should be about giving power to the players involved, not restricting it.)
    The thing is that like you said, Platinum is a more linear and tightly controlled game. In the currently running GCEA stories, if the GM doesn't want a player to be able to succeed at something, they won't succeed. Without some kind of mechanic to determine the outcome of an action, its just up to the GM whether or not he wants the player to succeed, in which case the player didn't really have any power anyway.

I just think since Galactic is supposed to be more open ended than other GCEA stories, using the dice rolls would make things feel less predetermined, which I think would increase the sense that the player's choices had made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    Also, has anyone considered how frustrating that might be to run? You can make rolls for a forum game but it's tedious. What will require a roll and what won't? Will Max ask for rolls, or will the players as to make them? Will you use a system with more typical "smart/strong/quick/likable" stats? Or will you go with something more like PbtA?
    We were leaning on Max doing the rolls himself just to keep things moving. I had suggested maybe getting a dice bot so we could do the rolls on the GCEA discord server. For the stats we were leaning on having specific roles that are good at specific things, but the idea of a more broad stat system with stats like Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, and Intelligence was discussed too.

Maybe we could do a different skill for everything Max could have us roll for? Melee Combat, Stealth, Hacking, Acting, Deception, Medicine, and maybe a couple of others. This way instead of predefined roles, characters could potentially be good at more than one thing (but not everything).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Master Mike View Post
    The thing is that like you said, Platinum is a more linear and tightly controlled game. In the currently running GCEA stories, if the GM doesn't want a player to be able to succeed at something, they won't succeed. Without some kind of mechanic to determine the outcome of an action, its just up to the GM whether or not he wants the player to succeed, in which case the player didn't really have any power anyway.

I just think since Galactic is supposed to be more open ended than other GCEA stories, using the dice rolls would make things feel less predetermined, which I think would increase the sense that the player's choices had made a difference.

We were leaning on Max doing the rolls himself just to keep things moving. I had suggested maybe getting a dice bot so we could do the rolls on the GCEA discord server. For the stats we were leaning on having specific roles that are good at specific things, but the idea of a more broad stat system with stats like Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, and Intelligence was discussed too.

Maybe we could do a different skill for everything Max could have us roll for? Melee Combat, Stealth, Hacking, Acting, Deception, Medicine, and maybe a couple of others. This way instead of predefined roles, characters could potentially be good at more than one thing (but not everything).
    Remember the key to this system is making it simple as possible. This will be the first time we attempt something like this. So there will be some things that get changed along the way. For now, the idea is the skills we picked and working on those in the story. Mike I wouldnt over think this.
    @Truly you werent happy about Jacob's style of set events going a certain way and you seem equally unhappy about TG having options for people to fail a mission. Might be time to consider the problem isnt gcea. Its something you might want to take some time to think about weather rejoining is going to make you happy. I wouldnt want you coming back all to hate both systems.
    @Noblejanobii yes, they can have the same skill. Its a choice. It wont he a detriment. The skills are meant ideally as a way to make new opportunities.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

7. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I’m not in the game but a question worth asking would be like could multiple people be the same role?

Like if Palila is the battler, but say Brandon wants to have Knuckles be a battler too, could they both be?
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Noble I believe we can have our characters be whatever we want them to be.
    The all new and improved Broadcasting Duo is here! We have a new banner, a new look and still more great improvements to come! What are you waiting for? Come on over and check us out! We promise, you won't be disappointed!
    www.broadcastingduo.com

__________________________________________________ ________________________
    GCEA Stats:
    Decimation Blue
    Galactic Diamond

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by brandon_g View Post
    Noble I believe we can have our characters be whatever we want them to be.
    Which makes sense but I hadn’t seen it discussed yet really (I might’ve missed it in the discord though) so I figured it might be worth clearing up in case there’s different ideas floating around.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I think the simplest system is to have the GM let things work, if it's reasonable to assume they do. I think Plat could benefit from a system that takes some control out of the GM's hands. I think Galactic probably would be fine without -- of course, I haven't seen your GMing, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

If the goal is to set a precedent for GCEA games in the future, I'll grin and bear it. I just think adding unnecessary rolls to a forum game is going to bog things down and I'm not confident in the staff to homebrew a satisfying skill system in, like, a week.