Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    Lets leave this thread for skills only. Any opinion about difference in story telling belongs elsewhere. This thread is limited to just this topic which is a big enough issue.
    Well if things are gonna be discussed elsewhere make it somewhere where I can see and chime in (ie not your exclusive discord server). If these two stories share a universe there will be implications and I want to be aware of those potentially existing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Hey! Some things have come up in the chat which are worth addressing here!

Firstly; a Pokemon handling skill would be cool. Like how James from team rocket can get Pokemon on his side-- or sometimes they try to eat him. I'm assuming since we have no badge system and also will steal other people's pokemon, we could very realistically come up against the problem that our stolen ratatta will not chew through the wires on a mission, but instead run away and set off an alarm! Perhaps, though, this is unneccesary, since Pokemon are assumed to cooperate in most stories.

Secondly!
    In the discord, someone mentioned that if you don't put a skill point into a skill, you don't even get to roll for it and automatically fail! I assumed that the luck of the dice could still get you through, however unlikely it is. So, in order to be able to even able to get Palila to attempt things with any chance of success, I'll be putting 1 point into each skill, lol!
    Are these worth addressing? The first one is a suggestion for a new skill & it's application (out of battle!) and the second one is a potential flaw in the system as it stands.
    @Rival Max
    but idk if that's how the @ works.

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    Are these worth addressing? The first one is a suggestion for a new skill & it's application (out of battle!) and the second one is a potential flaw in the system as it stands.
    @Rival Max
    but idk if that's how the @ works.
    Check my last post

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Hey! Some things have come up in the chat which is worth addressing here!

Firstly; a Pokemon handling skill would be cool. Like how James from team rocket can get Pokemon on his side-- or sometimes they try to eat him. I'm assuming since we have no badge system and also will steal other people's pokemon, we could very realistically come up against the problem that our stolen ratatta will not chew through the wires on a mission, but instead run away and set off an alarm! Perhaps, though, this is unnecessary, since Pokemon are assumed to cooperate in most stories.

Secondly!
    In the discord, someone mentioned that if you don't put a skill point into a skill, you don't even get to roll for it and automatically fail! I assumed that the luck of the dice could still get you through, however unlikely it is. So, in order to be able to even able to get Palila to attempt things with any chance of success, I'll be putting 1 point into each skill, lol!

I responded to the first part of this multiple times yesterday. So I will keep this brief. What you are describing as a handling skill has already been a part of the general skills. For example, a medic character would need to be able to heal people and pokemon. A human couldn't do that too much on their own so the character would be able to have a pokemon partner that covers that. So pokemon will play a part in skills. My character Oberon has a Joltik that helps him steal. The skills roll is for the success of an action. By that I mean if you are a pickpocket. Your skill points will determine the success of your action. So a trained pokemon helping out but not always doing your skill is okay

As to why specifically handling skill will not work is because there would be no point for any of the other skills, sans hacking but even one could say a porygon could do that. The handling itself is part of a trainers journey and story. A skill that boosted that would be game breaking. A potential usable skill would be a human who can communicate with all pokemon. That would a power through which is something this story is not covering.

In response to number two, The dice rolls will be limited to the use of personal skills. This is not a full D&D role play. The very notion of these skills is limited to practical uses in the story. A normal D&D rp has a rp dm who rolls every single turn. This will not be how this works in gcea. Its more or less for moments when your character could help change the path or help the team move ahead.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

5. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

Ok cool! I get why handling doesn't work as a skill for this game. Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

It seems like the things proposed are all pretty solid and there's reasons behind all the choices! Shall we do up some little trainer skills points cards?

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I've made some adjustments to the skill system. Some of the names of the skills and what they do were adjusted, an injured status was added, and one new skill was added. the new bits have been underlined. I was thinking that the Intelligence skill could be used both for identifying things (mainly Pokemon related), or to see if your character would know how to do things that don't really fit under any other skills.

The big thing that I want to know right now is whether Medicine should just be a part of Intelligence or its own skill. I asked on discord what people thought. I'm kind of leaning on leaving them seperate, but Lychee said to combine it, and Max was on the fence so I'd like some more opinions. I feel like the name "intelligence" is a little bit weird but I couldn't think of a better one.

I underlined the new/changed bits.

Athletics: The ability to overcome obstacles with force.
    Fighting, Restraining, Overcoming physical obstacles

Deception: The ability to act and to deceive.
    Lying, Acting, Persuading, Impersonating, Disguising

Stealth: The ability to move without being noticed.
    Sneaking, Lockpicking, Pickpocketing, Acrobatics.

Technology: The ability to use computers and other electronic devices.
    Hacking, Fixing, or Building computers and computer systems.

Medicine: The ability to treat injuries
    Performing CPR, Bandaging wounds.

Intelligence: The Ability to recall important information
    Identifying rare Pokemon, Solving problems, Knowing how to do anything not covered by other skills.

The success of actions will be decided by a 100 sided dice roll, which Max will do himself. The appropriate skill modifier for your character will be added to the result of the roll, meaning if Max rolls a 32 and you have a +10 in the relevant skill, then your final result is a 42. If the final result is higher than the minimum required to pass, then you succeed at the action.

Everyone will start with 10 skill points, and can gain more by successfully completing missions. You can apply these skill points to any skill you want. The maximum possible skill modifier is +75, but you can only have one skill with a modifier higher than +60.

For every skill point you spend, you will gain a +5 to the chosen skill if your current skill modifier is under 30, or +3 if your current skill modifier is 30 or higher. This means that it would take 21 skill points total to reach the maximum skill modifier of +75.

During the story, your character may become injured, either by losing a fight, or failing a high risk skill check. While injured, you have a -10 penalty to all rolls. This penalty lasts until the injury is treated, or until your character takes a long rest. The exact nature of the injury can be role played, but the penalty is the same regardless.

Here is what Im thinking

Brawler - Character focused on hand to hand combat and physical strength. This character type would also be able to use a weapon with training.
    (attributes: Physical Strength, Combat skills, Intimidation, Hand I coordination)

Con Artist - Character focused on all aspects of deception. This character type features a couple of pathways. One of them is choosing the acting route and focusing on disguising themselves and deception. The other focuses on lying and can focus on learning to persuade others to do what they want.
    (attributes: Acting, Lying, using Disguises, and Persaution.)

Cat Burglar - This character type is focused on theft and agility. The character would be fit and need to be able to move gracefully. This character uses stealth and patients.
    (attributes: Moving Unseen, Locking Picking, Pickpocket, and acrobatics.)

Hacker- This character is tech savy. This character is a utility character that can hack technology, fix tech and even create their own.)
    (attributes: Hacking, Fixing, or Building computers and computer systems.

Medic : The character knows about pokemon and healing. Can help teammates with basic medical assistance.
    (attributes: Human medic, pokemon partner medic, Pokemon knowledge

Intelligence: The Ability to recall important information
    Identifying rare Pokemon, Solving problems, Knowing how to do anything not covered by other skills.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

Why is intelligence in red?

Anyway, these all seem mostly the same and agreed upon now. What I want to know is how we type this stuff out in-game.

Do we say when we want to do a roll?
    Do we post, then max decides it needs a roll, rolls for us, then tells us it's a success or fail in his next post?
    Do we get to know the results, or numerical difficulty of the actions our character is trying to do?
    Will there be an inherent amount of bunnying as our characters fail/succeed?

I'm curious about how this sort of thing will work in a post by post forum roleplay!

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

Why is intelligence in red?

Anyway, these all seem mostly the same and agreed upon now. What I want to know is how we type this stuff out in-game.

Do we say when we want to do a roll?
    Do we post, then max decides it needs a roll, rolls for us, then tells us it's a success or fail in his next post?
    Do we get to know the results, or numerical difficulty of the actions our character is trying to do?
    Will there be an inherent amount of bunnying as our characters fail/succeed?

I'm curious about how this sort of thing will work in a post by post forum roleplay!
    I think he made intelligence red because he wanted to get rid of it.

The rest though Max will have to answer himself. Most likely though I think he will decide whether or not something requires a roll, and will roll and tell you the outcome, since that would be the best as far as keeping things moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Master Mike View Post
    I think he made intelligence red because he wanted to get rid of it.

The rest though Max will have to answer himself. Most likely though I think he will decide whether or not something requires a roll, and will roll and tell you the outcome, since that would be the best as far as keeping things moving.
    The way I have it planned. When a skill can be used ill make it clear in the post. So the rolls will only be used in situations limited to your skill set. The best example to give would be how the sinnoh starters will be introduced.

As night fall hits the team reachs the research lab. As they peer in they see baby pokemon sleeping in a nursery. With a quick check they find the doors and windows are locked.

Options
    1. Give up and find a way to steal them in the morning
    2. Break in tonight at the risk if being caught with no explanation

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic