Check out this awesome Pokémon Trainer!

Hello everyone! Welcome to Trainer Spotlight, where we take a look at various trainers of all skills, abilities, talents, and passions to show the various ways people across the Pokémon fandom show their love for this beloved franchise.
This Trainer Spotlight, we’re taking a look at a comic artist known as Penpeaches. Penpeaches is a Thai artist and gameart major in Chicago who has a passion for character illustration, concept art, and, in their own words, “occasional silly doodles”. While they have spent most of their recent time working on excellent OC pieces, they still have a great love for Pokémon, even drawing a rymesona before the trend picked up steam not too long ago.
my #rymesona because that’s a thing apparently
I would probably just go around the city and have good eats with my partner pokemon#digitalart #fanart #pokemon pic.twitter.com/Q9WnD6Fn7A
— Penpeaches (@penpeaches) May 20, 2019
However, rather than continue to speak on their credentials myself, I was able to interview Penpeaches for this article, so I will let them speak for themselves.
Pokémon Crossroads: How did you get into Pokemon?
Penpeaches: My cousin showed me his Pokemon card collection and a few of the episodes of the anime.
PXR: What was your first Pokemon game?
Penpeaches: Pokemon Blue.
PXR: What made you stick with the Pokemon games? Or if you took a break, what brought you back to Pokemon?
Penpeaches: I guess the improved graphics, new pokemon, and new gameplay mechanics always brought me back which each new generation.
PXR: What is your favorite Pokemon?
Penpeaches: That’s a really difficult question for me to answer, I have many. I guess to name a few from back then until now, it’s Glaceon, Gyarados, Greninja, Gulpin…. Oh I see a pattern now.
PXR: What is your favorite region?
Penpeaches: Hoenn, always. I can never remember the maps to most regions, but Hoenn has always been an exception.
PXR: What Pokemon would you like to become? Why
Penpeaches: Piplup. It’s just very fitting for me.
PXR: What would be your trainer class, excluding gym leaders, Elite Four and Champion, if you were in a Pokemon game? (EX: Lass, Youngester, Team Rocket Grunt)
Penpeaches: Artist or super nerd.
PXR: What would be your specialize type if you were a gym leader?
Penpeaches: Poison, since I’m recently liking this type alot.
PXR: Which Galar Starter will you pick?
Penpeaches: I’m very in-between Scorbunny and Grookey. I always have this issue where I can’t choose when a new game comes out.
PXR: What is your favorite Pokemon memory?
Penpeaches: “Playing” the TCG with the other guys in my 4th grade class. I say “playing” because we really had no idea what we were doing so we made our own rules.
PXR: Has Pokemon had a large impact on your life? If so, how?
Penpeaches: It helped me connect with people and lead to my interest in character designing.
redoing the pose on this. Wanted to spread the wings a bit more and have a little more dynamic. pic.twitter.com/onl5lRsZIM
— Penpeaches (@penpeaches) May 1, 2019
PXR: What are some other shows, games, etc. that you’re a fan of?
Penpeaches: Oh gosh, I consider myself a ‘jack of all trades’ when it comes to other fandoms – knowing a bunch but never really getting into. But off the top of my head, Harvest Moon/Rune Factory, Dynasty Warriors, The Sims, Steven Universe, RWBY….. those I got involved with a lot.
PXR: What made you want to become an artist?
Penpeaches: Quite frankly, Pokemon did. People used to be impressed by my Pokemon drawings and it stroked my little kid ego so I continued drawing a bunch after that.
PXR: What are some of your biggest inspirations?
Penpeaches: I get inspired by other art a lot, whether it be illustration, fashion, makeup, crafting, woodwork… the whole nine yards. I also get inspired by human interaction? Like when people’s personalities bounce off each other and create interesting scenarios/conversations. Comedy shows are probably a good example of what I’m trying to say. It’s why I’m so interested in making comics.
PXR: How did you improve artistically?
Penpeaches: At first it starting with mimicking art, like through fanart of cartoons and such. I didn’t really progress until I actually studied why I had to draw things a certain way. Now it’s a combination of veiwing others work and seeing their techniques and trying to understand why they did it so I can apply it to my own art.
PXR: You have a Pokemon fan comic called PMD: Team Fire-fox. What motivated you to start the comic?
Penpeaches: To be very very blunt, I have just received a tablet and made a couple of drawings. So thus, I impulsely decided to draw a comic on something I loved at the time.
https://pmdteamfire-fox.tumblr.com/p...last-even-drew

PXR: What are your future plans for this comic? Do you plan to finish it?
Penpeaches: I’m just gonna let it die, honestly… With the pace that I had, the messy story plot that I suddenly made in the middle of it, and lost of interest, I just don’t think it will finish without taking a really really long time. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t learn out of my experience however. I know I am a better artist and writer now, and I want to put all of my knowledge into something original and that I created and loved.
PXR: You’ve given a greater emphasis to OC content in more recent years. Are you preparing for a new comic idea or some other venture?
Penpeaches: Yes.
PXR: Could you tell us a little about this new idea?
Penpeaches: I’m currently developing a comic called Book of Muses about a world where there are magical powers based off people’s art via an enchanted tablet. The characters and towns of this concept are based off historical figures in art and art movements respectively.
PXR: What are the best ways to follow your art or reach out to you for potential commission interest?
Penpeaches: My instagram (@ Penpeaches) is the best place to find just art that’s up to date, my twitter (@ Penpeaches too) for sketches and in-the-moment thoughts, and my portfolio site (penpeachesart.weebly.com) for the best of the best of my stuff.
PXR: Do you have any recommendations, tips, etc. for newer artists?
Penpeaches: Get into a nice art group so you can motivate each other to draw, definitely recommend getting instagram, always use REFERENCES (get a pinterest!!), study study study, draw what you like, and there are actually many jobs in art other than graphic designer so don’t get discouraged about not being able to pursue a career in art if you’re really bent on it.
If you want to see more of Penpeaches work you can find them on Instagram, Deviantart, Tumblr, and Twitter. Their professional website is penpeachesart.weebly.com. Finally, if you want to see more of PMD: Team Fire-Fox, you can find them on Smackjeeves and Tumblr.
The post Trainer Spotlight: Penpeaches appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.