Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Blaquaza's Sprite Shack

Hi, I've gotten back into spriting lately so I thought I'd make this thread to include some of my past and present sprites!

Sword and Shield:
    Spoiler:

Some of these might be getting tweaked (by me or other spriters) and used as part of Smogon's Sword and Shield sprite project!

Beta Pokémon:
    Spoiler:

Beta Pokémon is a field that's always fascinated me, and the Spaceworld demo leaking was a treasure trove of information! I got some of those sprites and redid them in the style of DS games, and then for the ones outside of that beta, I had to be a little more creative. :D

Fusions:
    Spoiler:

That last one is a project I spent a while on, I did lots of fusions of 4+ Pokémon and made a regional dex out of them. Starters were fused together, regional birds, electric rodents, legendaries, any archetype and then in some cases there were branched evolution or type-based mass fusions. It was really fun to work on. Reddit mods took my post down at first because they thought some of them were original Fakemon!

Retro Edits:
    Spoiler:

- I tried making Ambipom resemble Aipom a little more.
    - Some people hate rings on designs (I don't) but here's Camerupt without them.
    - This was largely based off the Gen I/Gen IV design swap picture.
    - This one is the worst one.

- Obstagoon, but if it looked like regular Linoone. The base sprite is from the Smogon Sprite Project, I just edited it to make it look like it was from Hoenn. :3

I tried editing Pokémon to see how they might have looked in previous generations. They're probably all way off because I mostly focused on eye design and colour schemes, but it's a fun little side project.

Fakemon:
    Spoiler:
    - Stonix, an Onix pre-evolution. Rock/Ground.
    - Kangaskid, a Kangaskhan pre-evolution. Normal.
    - Iciqueen, a Jynx evolution that needs editing so it's more unique. Ice/Psychic.
    - Laprice, a Lapras pre-evolution. The old sprite is basically Shellos and the newer (but still old) one isn't much better. Water/Ice.
    - Champeon, Emisseon and Garudeon - Eeveelutions. Fighting, Poison and Flying respectively.
    - Terreon, Wyveon and Section - old, bad fusion sprites for Eeveeolutions. Ground, Dragon and Bug respectively.
    - Skimazu, an alternate Surskit evolution. Bug/Water.
    - Calaba, a joint Plusle/Minun pre-evolution. Electric.
    - Decimaul, another Calaba evolution. Electric/Fighting (Plusle and Minun were retyped to Electric/Psychic and Electric/Fairy respectively).
    - Duplicute, another Calaba evolution. Electric/Ground.
    - Iviny, a Carnivine pre-evolution. Grass.
    - Zebresla, a Zebstrika evolution that looks more like a Mega. Electric/Dark.
    -Ampega, an Emolga evolution. Electric/Flying.

I've got way more evolution ideas, but designing and spriting them is no easy task. Apart from Skimazu, these are all quite old sprites.

Fake Megas:
    Spoiler:
    - Mega Vileplume. Grass/Cosmic.
    - Mega Persian. Normal/Rock.
    - Mega Golem. Rock/Steel.
    - Mega Lapras. Water/Grass.
    - Mega Snorlax. Normal.
    - Mega Dragonite. Dragon/Water.
    - Mega Meganium. Grass/Psychic.
    - Mega Jumpluff. Grass/Flying.
    - Mega Slowking. Water/Sound.
    - Mega Granbull. Fairy/Fighting.
    - Mega Shedinja. Bug/Ghost.
    - Mega Chimecho. Psychic/Sound.
    - Mega Weavile. Dark/Ice.
    - Mega Togekiss. Fairy/Flying.
    - Mega Sawsbuck. Normal/Grass.

I know there's a bias towards the early generations in these sprites, but there were more Megas planned, I just never got around to spriting them. :D

Fake Forms:
    Spoiler:
    - Unown's , Form. Psychic.
    - Unown's . Form. Psychic.
    - Burmy's Snowy Form. Bug.
    - Wormadam's Snowy Form. Bug/Ice.
    - Shellos' Northern Form. Water. Evolves into Water/Ice (Gastrodon East is now Water/Grass).
    - Shellos' Southern Form. Water. Evolves into Water/Fire. Top right mimics Shellos' other Shinies, bottom left is my idea of a Shiny.
    - Arceus' Cosmic Form. Cosmic.
    - Arceus' Sound Form. Sound.

These were all Forms that were going to be added into the same game as the Fakemon and Megas, with Cosmic and Sound being the new types we were including.

Delta Forms:
    Spoiler:
    - Delta Ekans. Electric.
    - Delta Arbok. Electric.
    - Delta Tentacool. Cosmic/Ground.
    - Delta Tentacruel. Cosmic/Ground.
    - Delta Koffing. Fire.
    - Delta Weezing. Fire.
    - Delta Omanyte. Fairy/Bug.
    - Delta Omastar. Fairy/Bug.
    - Delta Kabuto. Psychic/Bug.
    - Delta Kabutops. Psychic/Bug.
    - Delta Snorlax. Ground/Ice.
    - Delta Hoothoot. Normal/Ice.
    - Delta Noctowl. Normal/Ice.
    - Delta Togepi. Ghost.
    - Delta Togetic. Ghost/Rock.
    - Delta Natu. Cosmic/Sound.
    - Delta Xatu. Cosmic/Sound.
    - Delta Wooper. Grass.
    - Delta Quagsire. Grass/Ghost.
    - Delta Remoraid. Fairy/Dragon.
    - Delta Octillery. Fairy/Dragon.
    - Delta Zigzagoon. Poison.
    - Delta Linoone. Poison/Electric.
    - Delta Whismur. Fighting/Water.
    - Delta Loudred. Fighting/Water.
    - Delta Exploud. Fighting/Water.
    - Delta Volbeat. Flying/Dark.
    - Delta Illumise. Flying/Ghost.
    - Delta Wailmer. Flying.
    - Delta Wailord. Flying/Cosmic.
    - Delta Spoink. Steel/Dark.
    - Delta Grumpig. Steel/Dark.
    - Delta Trapinch. Grass (evolves into Grass/Flying).
    - Delta Drifloon. Fire/Steel.
    - Delta Drifblim. Fire/Steel.
    - Delta Spiritomb. Rock/Psychic.
    - Delta Munchlax. Ground/Ice.
    - Delta Croagunk. Ground/Grass.
    - Delta Toxicroak. Ground/Grass.
    - Delta Finneon. Fighting/Flying.
    - Delta Lumineon. Fighting/Flying.
    - Delta Togekiss. Ghost/Rock.
    - Delta Cottonee. Flying.
    - Delta Whimsicott. Flying/Water.
    - Delta Petilil. Ghost.
    - Delta Lilligant. Ghost/Cosmic.
    - Delta Ferroseed. Ice/Electric.
    - Delta Ferroseed. Ice/Electric.
    - Delta Helioptile. Fire.
    - Delta Heliolisk. Fire/Cosmic.

For A Game:
    Spoiler:

- This one here's basically my personal mascot!

- I was toying around with a concept of multiple type forms for every monster in a game I'm working on, and this is what came of it. The original sprite in the top left is years old.

I'm working on a game that's basically Pokémon but not, and these are some of the critters you might be seeing if that game ever comes out! I've got way more designed and a few more sprited, but the sprites really aren't up to snuff.

Alternate Shinies:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Blaquaza; 08-11-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

2. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Ahhh these all look so good! I really like the SwSh sprites you’ve done but all the fakemon ones are so cute too! I love them all! Keep t up!
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

4. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Ahhh these all look so good! I really like the SwSh sprites you’ve done but all the fakemon ones are so cute too! I love them all! Keep t up!
    Aw, thank you very much! Right now I'm working on a tileset (which I'm really not used to), so hopefully I can get some of that done soon. :D

Spoiler:

6. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I really like all your delta Pokemon! I think switching types has a lot of potential, I liked how that was part of Alola forms. It's fun to see so many other options! I especially like the Munchlax and Driftblim!

Your SwSh sprites are really cool too. Love the Sobble, so cute! I love all the beta sprites too!
    GCEA

More sprites inbound! I've got Delta Ferroseed and Ferrothorn (both Ice/Electric), as well as a new Pokémon from Sword and Shield! :D

Sword and Shield spoilers:
    Spoiler:

It's Rolycoly! I never cared for it at first, bit after just a day and seeing the little wheel I think it's adorable. <3

I made two variants because I couldn't quite tell if the middle section was lighter than the rest of it, or if it's the same colour.

Spoiler:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Oooh ice/electric that’s so cool (no pun intended). Love the color scheme! I think the yellow and light blue just really compliment each other.

And man that SwSh sprite looks so nice! I especially like the color variants you picked for it. Do you plan to do some of the other new mons?
    / / / / / / / /

Oooh ice/electric that’s so cool (no pun intended). Love the color scheme! I think the yellow and light blue just really compliment each other.

And man that SwSh sprite looks so nice! I especially like the color variants you picked for it. Do you plan to do some of the other new mons?
    Thank you! And yeah I really love the yellow and blue combo, to be honest part of the reason I like Ice/Electric as a type combination is because the two type icons next to each other is just really aesthetically pleasing to me. XD

As for the new Sword/Shield ones, one's been done by someone else and the other has been reserved by a different person, so I wouldn't want to overstep. And honestly, both of them have really odd textures/perspectives that I'm not sure I'd be able to do a decent job if I tried spriting them. The one I did was tough because it's my first time spriting rocks outside of Stonix (which is just Onix's tail reworked, I think), but I literally have no idea how I'd go about the other two at all. :3

Spoiler:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    Thank you! And yeah I really love the yellow and blue combo, to be honest part of the reason I like Ice/Electric as a type combination is because the two type icons next to each other is just really aesthetically pleasing to me. XD

As for the new Sword/Shield ones, one's been done by someone else and the other has been reserved by a different person, so I wouldn't want to overstep. And honestly, both of them have really odd textures/perspectives that I'm not sure I'd be able to do a decent job if I tried spriting them. The one I did was tough because it's my first time spriting rocks outside of Stonix (which is just Onix's tail reworked, I think), but I literally have no idea how I'd go about the other two at all. :3
    Yeah it really is aesthetically pleasing. How do you usually choose what typings to go for with your delta mons? Do you just random select them or is there some sort of inspiration for each one?

Totally understandable. I was debating drawing them myself but they all kinda look a bit weird so I might hold off on that front. But still looking forward to seeing you do any more sprites in the future since these are coming out great.
    / / / / / / / /

Yeah it really is aesthetically pleasing. How do you usually choose what typings to go for with your delta mons? Do you just random select them or is there some sort of inspiration for each one?

Totally understandable. I was debating drawing them myself but they all kinda look a bit weird so I might hold off on that front. But still looking forward to seeing you do any more sprites in the future since these are coming out great.
    If I'm completely honest it's a combination of looking at types that are rare or haven't been done before, and I've got a bit of an obsession with filling out the type chart, even flipped ones (like Fighting/Flying and Flying/Fighting, which I retyped Staraptor to in the fan game these are all for). Then I look at the designs and see if I could see them being adapted to fit a certain type easily enough. The oldest ones (maybe Drifloon and Hoothoot, but definitely Togepi) all came from a Pokécommunity project where a certain type would be swapped to a different type, then I worked on their evolutions afterwards to fit in with them.

Aw, thanks for the kind words! I submitted the latest one to the Sword and Shield sprite project, and it was tweaked a bit (seemingly a bit less than the previous one, because this time I got the size right at least) and ultimately accepted with the edits in place! I definitely will end up doing more Gen VIII ones, it's strange but doing the sprites really gets me used to the new Pokémon. Now I love that one I did the sprite of yesterday. I might struggle with the later, more detailed ones though, if only because how I make these sprites with pixel overs (usually with the official art, but in the last case it was from the E3 screenshots). :)

There's some insight into the process, sorry for the walls of text. XD

Spoiler:

I got more Delta Species done! This time it's Croagunk and Toxicroak, which become Ground/Grass and love to explore in swampy quicksand!

Spoiler: