Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: List of older Pokémon confirmed to be in SwSh according to trailer and demo footage

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

I'm really glad that Maractus made it in! I love seeing some of the more odd standalone Pokémon getting some love, and I hope we can extend this to other oddballs like Dunsparce, Chatot and Spinda, with Spinda being my favourite of those three.

Also, even if Kanto bias is in full force, I don't think every Kanto Pokémon is making the cut. In the Treehouse Bill Trinen said he wanted to bring over Pokémon from Let's Go, and Masuda said it'll only happen if they're in the National Dex, and that was after the initial Dexit reveal, so we may be saying goodbye to Krabby and Venonat for a while. :'(

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

I'm so glad Maractus made it in too! I'm using one in my potterlocke right now and he's a total powerhouse. Such a fun pokemon to use for sure.
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I'm really glad that Maractus made it in! I love seeing some of the more odd standalone Pokémon getting some love, and I hope we can extend this to other oddballs like Dunsparce, Chatot and Spinda, with Spinda being my favourite of those three.

Also, even if Kanto bias is in full force, I don't think every Kanto Pokémon is making the cut. In the Treehouse Bill Trinen said he wanted to bring over Pokémon from Let's Go, and Masuda said it'll only happen if they're in the National Dex, and that was after the initial Dexit reveal, so we may be saying goodbye to Krabby and Venonat for a while. :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    I'm so glad Maractus made it in too! I'm using one in my potterlocke right now and he's a total powerhouse. Such a fun pokemon to use for sure.
    Maractus the dark horse victor! Why do you think Krabby and Venonat are gonna be left out, though @Blaquaza?
    Last edited by Arrow-Jolteon; 07-11-2019 at 05:06 AM.

4. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    Maractus the dark horse victor! Why do you think Krabby and Venonat are gonna be left out, though @Blaquaza?
    They're not the most marketable of the Kanto Pokémon, as much as I like them. I feel like more popular/expected ones like Jigglypuff, Zubat, Meowth and Geodude are all but confirmed even though they've not been revealed. :'(

Spoiler:

They're not the most marketable of the Kanto Pokémon, as much as I like them. I feel like more popular/expected ones like Jigglypuff, Zubat, Meowth and Geodude are all but confirmed even though they've not been revealed. :'(
    As Maractus already proved, being "unmarketable" isn't smoking gun proof mean you won't get in. Maractus in particular is a very surprising inclusion because it had literally every possible odd stacked against it and it still pulled through: firstly, it's based on a bunny-eared cactus, which is a plant that grows in hot and dry climates and is only found in the American continent in the real world, so you wouldn't expect to see a creature based on that to appear in a region based on the British Isles, a place where the weather is typically rainy and temperate-to-cold; secondly, it was easily one of the most neglected and forgotten Pokemon of its debut Generation, got basically next to no marketing, and even the fandom barely talked about it (even things like Trubbish and Vanillite were notorious for their controversial receptions); thirdly and finally, it was left out of the pool of catchable mons for two Generations in a row after its debut (you could only obtain it via things like transferring or Friend Safari).

So yeah, Just because a Pokemon is "unpopular" and "unmarketable" it doesn't mean it won't make it in. Heck, even the excuse that it thematically fits into the Galar region's environment has proven shaky at best, since as I already mentioned, Maractus is very out of place in a British environment (unless there's some history between England and the bunny-eared cactus that I'm completely unaware of and if anyone knows it please tell me I like learning), and there are several Pokemon confirmed to be in that are kind of odd choices for one reason or another.

In conclusion, it seems that for now which Pokemon make the cut and which don't is mostly just luck of the draw rather than anything consistent like popularity or fitting in with the region, and if the Venonat and Krabby lines don't make it in, it'll be less because they're unpopular and more because they simply had bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    As Maractus already proved, being "unmarketable" isn't smoking gun proof mean you won't get in. Maractus in particular is a very surprising inclusion because it had literally every possible odd stacked against it and it still pulled through: firstly, it's based on a bunny-eared cactus, which is a plant that grows in hot and dry climates and is only found in the American continent in the real world, so you wouldn't expect to see a creature based on that to appear in a region based on the British Isles, a place where the weather is typically rainy and temperate-to-cold; secondly, it was easily one of the most neglected and forgotten Pokemon of its debut Generation, got basically next to no marketing, and even the fandom barely talked about it (even things like Trubbish and Vanillite were notorious for their controversial receptions); thirdly and finally, it was left out of the pool of catchable mons for two Generations in a row after its debut (you could only obtain it via things like transferring or Friend Safari).

So yeah, Just because a Pokemon is "unpopular" and "unmarketable" it doesn't mean it won't make it in. Heck, even the excuse that it thematically fits into the Galar region's environment has proven shaky at best, since as I already mentioned, Maractus is very out of place in a British environment (unless there's some history between England and the bunny-eared cactus that I'm completely unaware of and if anyone knows it please tell me I like learning), and there are several Pokemon confirmed to be in that are kind of odd choices for one reason or another.

In conclusion, it seems that for now which Pokemon make the cut and which don't is mostly just luck of the draw rather than anything consistent like popularity or fitting in with the region, and if the Venonat and Krabby lines don't make it in, it'll be less because they're unpopular and more because they simply had bad luck.
    I'm talking particularly in terms of Kanto Pokémon, though. Kanto's the golden boy, and I feel like the marketable Kanto creatures are by and large the most likely to get into any future game; Pikachu and Eevee are certain, Charizard's already shown it can defy the usual starter trend of being confined to their home regions, and things like that. For any other region, I'd fully agree with you that it's a bit more random, but I think the Kantonian selection - particularly for the first Dexit games - will be the old classics. Again. For the millionth time.

What I do believe is that all the popular ones will be getting in over the less popular ones. For every Pikachu, Eevee, Lucario and Charizard, we'll be lucky to get a Dunsparce or two. Maractus of all things is certainly an odd inclusion for a UK region, which I think shows Game Freak pretty much just do what they want, and all we can do is try and pluck patterns out of that (which will surely be debunked in time). The only reason I could see Maractus fitting a UK region is that they're common houseplants here, and there's a lot of decorations I've seen (including my shower curtain) that have a cactus theme, for some reason. Unless there's a secret desert below the ground I don't know about. :3

Spoiler:

I'm talking particularly in terms of Kanto Pokémon, though. Kanto's the golden boy, and I feel like the marketable Kanto creatures are by and large the most likely to get into any future game; Pikachu and Eevee are certain, Charizard's already shown it can defy the usual starter trend of being confined to their home regions, and things like that. For any other region, I'd fully agree with you that it's a bit more random, but I think the Kantonian selection - particularly for the first Dexit games - will be the old classics. Again. For the millionth time.

What I do believe is that all the popular ones will be getting in over the less popular ones. For every Pikachu, Eevee, Lucario and Charizard, we'll be lucky to get a Dunsparce or two. Maractus of all things is certainly an odd inclusion for a UK region, which I think shows Game Freak pretty much just do what they want, and all we can do is try and pluck patterns out of that (which will surely be debunked in time). The only reason I could see Maractus fitting a UK region is that they're common houseplants here, and there's a lot of decorations I've seen (including my shower curtain) that have a cactus theme, for some reason. Unless there's a secret desert below the ground I don't know about. :3
    I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a Gen 1 Pokemon that doesn't qualify as an "old classic" to at least some extent, though. Being part of the original 151 roster kind of gives you a "classic" label by default. And some of the less popular Kanto Pokemon have made it in, most notably Goldeen and Seaking, which is probably among those Water-types whose existence is incredibly easy to forget. So with luck we may yet see some of Kanto's less prolific oddballs make the cut. It'll be one heck of a miracle if we don't see Zubat or Gedude make it, though, since those two have been in virtually every Pokedex since their debut despite not being all that beloved (though when you're as common as dirt in every area that you appear as an encounter and love spamming confusion and explosion respectively, it's hard to endear yourself to many people).

Popularity is also extremely hard to judge outside of mascots like Pikachu, Eevee and the Eeveelutions, Charizard, and Lucario, simply because the Pokemon fandom is just that massive. Sure, we've done popularity polls a bunch of times, but usually those are severely restricted because they only take into account a single country or age bracket (the latter is most frequent in Pokemon forums, which tend to be dominated by teenagers and young adults that grew up with the franchise), so it's hard to say which Pokemon are truly the most popular on a worldwide scale.

I didn't know bunny-eared cacti were popular houseplants in the UK. That's adorable!

Aaaand the list is updated again because a new trailer revealed more Pokemon! We are only nine Pokemon away from breaking the 200 mark.