View Poll Results: Have you seen Detective Pikachu?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

8 88.89%
  • No but I want to.

1 11.11%
  • No and I don't want to.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen Detective Pikachu?

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Have you seen Detective Pikachu?

Did you go see Detective Pikachu? If so, what did you think?

Please use spoiler tags for discussing details of the movie which might spoil the plot/ending!
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

Saw it Day 1 here. Absolutely LOVED it and the idea about it. Even nice going back and looking at my articles for it and comparing thoughts. Seeing people cosplay and carry their Pokémon plushies with them to see the movie was amazing. Was such an awesome experience and a really great movie!

Could go on about it more too, but it'd require those spoiler tags.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

I saw it my first weekend back from Spain with my best friend and absolutely loved it. I wore a bunch of Pokémon gear and even had a girl shout “she’s wearing Pikachu” when I was walking into the theatre. Overall I loved it and I’m glad to see the film was popular enough to bring the fandom together for a good movie.
    /// /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

Saw it opening day. Heck, even a day before the official opening day (May 9th).

Everything was fantastic, though there were moments of acting I think could have used some tweaking. Kathryn Newton as Lucy... I dunno, her acting just felt a little forced and artificial and I've never seen anyone behave or talk like that in real life. Justice Smith was good for the most part and of course, Ryan Reynolds did a perfect job.

But the CGI Pokemon will just blow your mind. The expressions, the animation, the texturing, lighting, they nailed everything well. Even if you don't care for the storyline, you can still appreciate the animation and the how they integrated the Pokemon into a realistic setting. I feel like that was the real test and they definitely aced it where so many others have failed.

Making it double with Caite-Chan!

I've heard good things about it, but I'm hesitant to see the movie because the live Pokemon still look a little uncanny valley to me (with a few exceptions, such as Detective Pikachu himself). So I will probably wait until it is out on video/streaming.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

I went into this solely to see live action Pokémon on the big screen, and in that sense it delivered in every regard. That early scene with the ranch almost brought me to tears because it was everything I dreamed a live action Pokémon world would be. :D

The story was a bit predictable and meh, same for most of the acting that wasn'y by Ryan Reynolds. You could tell they had a good time making it though, I think that really came across and made the film even more happy and fun. My main gripe is Rita Ora's character, really brought me out of the film considering I'm not a fan of hers and her acting wasn't even played up to be campy like Lucy's introduction.

Spoiler:
    Torterra got by far the best live action adaptation I think, it looks exactly like Torterra, but more realistic. The Pancham line, Loudred, Magikarp and Pikachu itself are all up there too, the designs really were fantastic all around. :)

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Was really resistant to it but I ended up seeing it with @Bulbasaur while I was in America.

I...was not impressed. xD The pacing was all over the place, the writing was awful, the acting was terrible (except a few people like Bill Nighy, who I love). The "realistic" renditions of most of the pokemon was absolutely horrible--even Mewtwo looked disfigured and just really poorly designed. I saw a treecko here and there and holy hell their heads were enormous, far bigger than as a 2D character or the official 3D models. The whole thing was just...ugh, so subpar. I was so unimpressed. xD I agree with Blaquaza about the best bit, and those pokemon listed weren't terrible (though I still maintain Pikachu was way too furry).

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Awwww Xanthe, you didn't like it? That's a shame.

I really liked it. The story, acting, writing etc. wasn't the best but I was more interested in the world so it didn't bother me that much. I could have just watched Pokemon walk around for 90 mins haha. I really just loved seeing all the Pokemon hanging around. The start was really cool. It reminded me of the start of Red and Blue.

I thought they did a great job with a lot of the designs. Mewtwo was pretty odd but I dunno how they can ever make that look realistic without looking weird. xD I had low expectations about it and they were definitely surpassed. It made the world of Pokemon feel a lot more real to me. I just thought about how amazing it would have been to see something like that as a kid who loved Pokemon more than anything, and it made me really happy! Overall I was impressed with the whole thing. I never would have thought realistic Pokemon could EVER look good or even just alright or like they actually existed, but I thought they did a pretty good job.
    GCEA

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Awwww Xanthe, you didn't like it? That's a shame.

I really liked it. The story, acting, writing etc. wasn't the best but I was more interested in the world so it didn't bother me that much. I could have just watched Pokemon walk around for 90 mins haha. I really just loved seeing all the Pokemon hanging around. The start was really cool. It reminded me of the start of Red and Blue.

I thought they did a great job with a lot of the designs. Mewtwo was pretty odd but I dunno how they can ever make that look realistic without looking weird. xD I had low expectations about it and they were definitely surpassed. It made the world of Pokemon feel a lot more real to me. I just thought about how amazing it would have been to see something like that as a kid who loved Pokemon more than anything, and it made me really happy! Overall I was impressed with the whole thing. I never would have thought realistic Pokemon could EVER look good or even just alright or like they actually existed, but I thought they did a pretty good job.
    Yeah. xc I wanted to, but I also went into it thinking I wouldn't. Possibly a case of self-fulfilling prophecy. xc

That bit I did enjoy. Seeing all the pokemon around was awesome, but again...I disliked pretty much all the designs so much that it put me off. Dx

Well, I've just seen so many "realistic" designs that looked so much better. So much better charizard designs, and flareon designs, and yeah... Mewtwo is definitely a hard one, but they intentionally changed some things, like how the purple of mewtwo's stomach blends instead of being separate. Little changes that don't make it more realistic--just make it stray from its original design. I don't know, I just expected better. Also, the art director is the guy who makes "realistic" pokemon designs that I absolutely hate, which explains some of it. xD

Yeah, at least the technology is there to make pokemon look somewhat realistic with CGI, but I think the designs just ruined it for me. xD I did like the torterra though! They were cool. Their size was freaky, though. e_e

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

Senior Moderator

The realistic designs were a LOT to take in. Though I went in knowing they did their best. It's not meant to look cute, adorable, or all super friendly as we come to know them over the years. It's a totally real movie world they tried to give life from a video game. It gave life to many of them in a way you wouldn't normally expect. Maybe it's something they can learn from to make small adjustments for another movie. Which is to be expected by this point.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..