View Poll Results: Have you seen Detective Pikachu?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

8 88.89%
  • No but I want to.

1 11.11%
  • No and I don't want to.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you seen Detective Pikachu?

I will admit I don't feel as strongly as Xanthe when it comes to disapproval of Detective Pikachu, but it wasn't my favorite, either. Maybe it's because I don't watch movies a lot, but I was super confused at the end. However, I liked the first half of the movie, and I liked the Pokemon designs, even though they were quite different!
    Spoiler:

the Bulbasaur scene tho <3

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

2. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Yeah. xc I wanted to, but I also went into it thinking I wouldn't. Possibly a case of self-fulfilling prophecy. xc

That bit I did enjoy. Seeing all the pokemon around was awesome, but again...I disliked pretty much all the designs so much that it put me off. Dx

Well, I've just seen so many "realistic" designs that looked so much better. So much better charizard designs, and flareon designs, and yeah... Mewtwo is definitely a hard one, but they intentionally changed some things, like how the purple of mewtwo's stomach blends instead of being separate. Little changes that don't make it more realistic--just make it stray from its original design. I don't know, I just expected better. Also, the art director is the guy who makes "realistic" pokemon designs that I absolutely hate, which explains some of it. xD

Yeah, at least the technology is there to make pokemon look somewhat realistic with CGI, but I think the designs just ruined it for me. xD I did like the torterra though! They were cool. Their size was freaky, though. e_e
    I'll admit, it actually took a bit of time for me to get cozy with Emolga's realistic look. It's mainly the shape of the eyes that's different as the cartoonish version of Emolga has oval-shaped eyes and the realistic Detective Pikachu version has them more teardrop-shaped and skewed horizontally. That's a major difference and I noticed it almost instantly, and when you look at the two side by side, you'll see it:

This is really the only "huh, that's kinda weird and I'm not sure how I feel about that" but I could let it slide. Heck, I'm HAPPY Emolga got a cameo in this when so, so many Pokemon missed that opportunity, so this little thing is something I could live with, though I feel like it could have been better if they were a little bit more mindful of the original character design.

But if anyone were to ask me if would I get one of these little guys in real life if they existed, I would sedate them and tattoo YES to their forehead so they'll always remember.

Making it double with Caite-Chan!

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    I will admit I don't feel as strongly as Xanthe when it comes to disapproval of Detective Pikachu, but it wasn't my favorite, either. Maybe it's because I don't watch movies a lot, but I was super confused at the end. However, I liked the first half of the movie, and I liked the Pokemon designs, even though they were quite different!
    Spoiler:

the Bulbasaur scene tho <3
    Haha, yeah, I think my strong opinion is not a common one. xD However, I did enjoy going to see it. :3 Especially when our waffle fries took five years despite the fact that we were the only ones in the cinema. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I'll admit, it actually took a bit of time for me to get cozy with Emolga's realistic look. It's mainly the shape of the eyes that's different as the cartoonish version of Emolga has oval-shaped eyes and the realistic Detective Pikachu version has them more teardrop-shaped and skewed horizontally. That's a major difference and I noticed it almost instantly, and when you look at the two side by side, you'll see it:

This is really the only "huh, that's kinda weird and I'm not sure how I feel about that" but I could let it slide. Heck, I'm HAPPY Emolga got a cameo in this when so, so many Pokemon missed that opportunity, so this little thing is something I could live with, though I feel like it could have been better if they were a little bit more mindful of the original character design.

But if anyone were to ask me if would I get one of these little guys in real life if they existed, I would sedate them and tattoo YES to their forehead so they'll always remember.
    I think that's my main gripe--although the CGI was good and the pokemon DID look like realistic renders, many of them seemed to stray from the original design. If I had no concept of what each pokemon looked like, I'd have thought they all looked amazing. It's that many of them were quite removed from what my perception of them was that threw me off. In general I am just not a fan of realistic pokemon, as well. xD

But yes, I agree that the emolga in that movie is super cute and a critter I'd cuddle and smush in real life (safely XD).

Just ugh...look at this treecko. I hate it so much. XD

The head is outrageously huge and the rest of it is just kinda...gross.

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii

Haha, yeah, I think my strong opinion is not a common one. xD However, I did enjoy going to see it. :3 Especially when our waffle fries took five years despite the fact that we were the only ones in the cinema. XD

I think that's my main gripe--although the CGI was good and the pokemon DID look like realistic renders, many of them seemed to stray from the original design. If I had no concept of what each pokemon looked like, I'd have thought they all looked amazing. It's that many of them were quite removed from what my perception of them was that threw me off. In general I am just not a fan of realistic pokemon, as well. xD

But yes, I agree that the emolga in that movie is super cute and a critter I'd cuddle and smush in real life (safely XD).

Darn it, AMC!

Yeah, if I were trying to design a realistic Treecko that's not how I would've done it at all. It was honestly a bit disgusting.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

[FONT=Arial]I think that's my main gripe--although the CGI was good and the pokemon DID look like realistic renders, many of them seemed to stray from the original design. If I had no concept of what each pokemon looked like, I'd have thought they all looked amazing. It's that many of them were quite removed from what my perception of them was that threw me off. In general I am just not a fan of realistic pokemon, as well. xD

Yeah... not a fan of that Treecko either. Why put speckles on the tail and body? That makes it look like it's been infected with a zombie virus or something. And those toes are supposed to be green, also. Why do they suddenly get discolored into that whitish-yellowish color? :\

I dunno, that one just looks old, diseased, and tired.

Making it double with Caite-Chan!

your turn to roll Suicune's Fire's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Darn it, AMC!

Yeah, if I were trying to design a realistic Treecko that's not how I would've done it at all. It was honestly a bit disgusting.
    Lol! And yeah, that's how I feel. :c

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Yeah... not a fan of that Treecko either. Why put speckles on the tail and body? That makes it look like it's been infected with a zombie virus or something. And those toes are supposed to be green, also. Why do they suddenly get discolored into that whitish-yellowish color? :\

I dunno, that one just looks old, diseased, and tired.
    Yeah, I don't know. ;~; It's so sloppy. Also the hunched stance is weird. Treecko always stand up straight. This was definitely one of the worst ones.

Kinnie's GCEA Card
    Double agents with Noblejanobii