Thread: Your Values

Your Values

What are your values in life?

2. This post has been liked by:

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I value being honest and trustworthy to the people I love (I say that last part just to clarify that, obviously, I'm not going to be honest to some creep/threatening person who wants to know where I live or anything XD). I also value kindness (who wouldn't?) and good communication. Also being able to learn from your mistakes and be better, rather than just insist a bunch of reasons why your actions are okay or "not your fault." I think the last one is why I write so many villain/antagonist redemption arcs in my stories.

4. This post has been liked by:

I very highly value kindness both to humans and animals, honesty and just overall being genuine. I also really value humour and positivity, and being able to put yourself in another person's shoes to see their point of view. There are always two sides to a scenario, so I will always be open and try to listen to the other side. Admitting when you're wrong is so important, too. Nobody is constantly right, so being humble is important. To me, anyway.

6. This post has been liked by:

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

I think it's important to embrace your inner child and just have fun doing whatever you want, provided it doesn't hurt anyone. It's also important to me to be self-aware and able to poke fun at yourself, we all do stupid things, so rather than getting worked up about it having a laugh is the best way to deal with it. Similarly, don't be too judgemental of people for their hobbies, as long as they're harmless there's no reason to be a snob.

Honesty is also really important to me. I'd rather be told the truth and be hurt in the short-term than be lied to and ultimately hurt in the long-term. It also establishes trust and respect in ways that being false just don't. I suppose it links into the previous idea of having fun because it's important to embrace who you are and your values. The only time I'd let this rule go on the back burner is if someone's honest opinions are always negative. Being a happiness hoover isn't fun.

Something I also find quite important is the ability to treat everyone nicely. A saying I'd heard thrown around that rings true from my experience is that you can tell what a person's like by how they speak to waiters in restaurants. Gratitude and remorse really shouldn't have to be drawn out of someone through long and painful prompts.

I do think all of my points bundle into one point that's been repeated God knows how many times; treat others how you want to be treated. It's a simple message but that doesn't make it wrong. There'd been a lot of ups and downs in the years before this one, and I've finally got the confidence to try working towards being the best possible version of me, and that bit of advice has helped me so many times. :D

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

8. This post has been liked by:

I think my biggest value is to be kind to people. This world is a dark place, and you never know what another person is going through. It also means don't be a jerk, and don't have views that devalue another individual. I also think that being honest with yourself and your own failures and vices is incredibly important. It is so hard to admit that you're wrong, but doing so makes you all the stronger because it gives you the opportunity to improve. Never compare yourself to others, rather look at your own road and work towards getting to where you want to go.

10. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I think it's important to embrace your inner child and just have fun doing whatever you want, provided it doesn't hurt anyone. It's also important to me to be self-aware and able to poke fun at yourself, we all do stupid things, so rather than getting worked up about it having a laugh is the best way to deal with it. Similarly, don't be too judgemental of people for their hobbies, as long as they're harmless there's no reason to be a snob.

Honesty is also really important to me. I'd rather be told the truth and be hurt in the short-term than be lied to and ultimately hurt in the long-term. It also establishes trust and respect in ways that being false just don't. I suppose it links into the previous idea of having fun because it's important to embrace who you are and your values. The only time I'd let this rule go on the back burner is if someone's honest opinions are always negative. Being a happiness hoover isn't fun.

Something I also find quite important is the ability to treat everyone nicely. A saying I'd heard thrown around that rings true from my experience is that you can tell what a person's like by how they speak to waiters in restaurants. Gratitude and remorse really shouldn't have to be drawn out of someone through long and painful prompts.

I do think all of my points bundle into one point that's been repeated God knows how many times; treat others how you want to be treated. It's a simple message but that doesn't make it wrong. There'd been a lot of ups and downs in the years before this one, and I've finally got the confidence to try working towards being the best possible version of me, and that bit of advice has helped me so many times. :D
    Ooh, that first paragraph really speaks to me. (They all do, but I wanted to comment on the first one. xD) I really value being playful and not taking things too seriously. Man, it's a downer otherwise! I make fun of myself constantly, but always in a playful way and it's only ever to be silly or have a laugh, not to put myself down. I'll do the same to others (that I know are comfortable with it xD) and it becomes this really interesting dynamic. Also opens the doors for being honest but making a bit of a joke about it, while still saying what you mean. That describes the majority of my friendships. xD Irl ones, because conveying tone in written language is difficult. xD

Also, "happiness hoover." XDD

12. This post has been liked by:

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Ooh, that first paragraph really speaks to me. (They all do, but I wanted to comment on the first one. xD) I really value being playful and not taking things too seriously. Man, it's a downer otherwise! I make fun of myself constantly, but always in a playful way and it's only ever to be silly or have a laugh, not to put myself down. I'll do the same to others (that I know are comfortable with it xD) and it becomes this really interesting dynamic. Also opens the doors for being honest but making a bit of a joke about it, while still saying what you mean. That describes the majority of my friendships. xD Irl ones, because conveying tone in written language is difficult. xD
    I agree with you fully, life gets way less interesting if you're not able to see the funny side of things. I used to take everything way too seriously when I was a kid, and now I've learned that making fun of yourself not only lets you accept who you are more easily, but it's a shield that stops other people being able to tear you down. If you know you're a funny goofball, them pointing it out in less nice words itself is funny (albeit unintentionally) because of the lengths they're going to make you feel bad. XD

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

14. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I so much agree with the people who said honesty. Admitting to the truth can sometimes be hard, but it's a real showing of a person's character. And I've had to deal with people who are terrible liars and it's such an aggravating experience.

I also believe in faith and optimism. There will be times when things seem down, but keep persisting and keep fighting for a better day. It'll come if you don't give up. And I also feel that you don't truly lose until you give up and quit. If you get knocked down, get up, dust yourself off, and get back in there. You can still lose a few battles but win the war. And even if you lose, it will make you wiser and more experienced and that may make all the difference the next time around. When one door shuts, find another one that's open. It may take you to a place that's even better than where you were originally. As someone that has gone from one job to another, this is so true.

And like Blaquaza said, be playful. Keep that youthful color, creativity, and imagination with you at all times. It's what makes you the person you are and can make you stand out from all the rest. It's the magical force that makes others laugh, keeps spirits up, and allows you to be expressive. No one admires or remembers the person who is overly serious, strict, and stern. Be brazen and daring to try something new and interesting. Make something amazing that may one day live on after you. I like the quote "it's either a good idea or makes for a good story." And with that in mind, it's not a true failure if you find some other way to use it, such as a good conversational piece! Just as long as it doesn't hurt yourself or others.

And when the day is done and you're heading off to sleep, ask yourself if you had a good day. If you did, remember what happened that made it good and use that to inspire you. And if you didn't, remember that there's always tomorrow and you get to try again. Keep yourself safe, keep yourself healthy, and be open to inspiration and discovery.

16. This post has been liked by: