It’s Tuesday which means it’s time for Crossroads Comics!

This week we’re taking a look at PMD: Hellfire. The story seems to take place in a form of post apocalyptic style world, a drastic shift in setting from the lively friendly towns we’re used to seeing in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon franchise. According to the comic’s description, it takes place following a savage war where no human arrived to save the world, leaving the whole place to turn hostile. To make matters worse, there appears to be some sort of famine sweeping the nation due to several mentions of berry shortages, and Treasure Town seems to have become a literal ghost town. The story begins with the arrival of Mila, a Houndoom with amnesia whose only clue to who she is being that she was once a human. She teams up with Sirius, a fugitive shiny Eevee that is fleeing from Apple Woods when they first meet. The comic follows this duo as they learn to survive in this war torn and unforgiving world.
This comic is by Samadriel, an aspiring doctor of vet medicine. Their knowledge of animal anatomy really shows with their unique designs for all the pokémon that have appeared in the story thus far. The designs are probably my favorite aspect of the story thus far and were what drew me to the comic in the first place when I first spotted it on my dash on Tumblr. Some examples include the main character, Mila, having a more greyhound based design which can be seen through the more skinny and lanky anatomy compared to a regular Houndoom; and Tank, a Duskull with a more feline-like skull.
It’s also very interesting to see a post-apocalyptic setting that also makes use of previous locations that PMD players are familiar with such as Treasure Town and Apple Woods, which have both been mentioned in the story thus far. It creates a unique story telling aspect where readers are familiar with many of the locations and thus have some understanding of the characters’ location in the world, but also gives Samadriel a lot of creative freedom when it comes to how these locations have been changed by the war that predates the start of this comic. I’m really looking forward to seeing how they will use this to influence the story and comic as a whole.
This is probably one of my favorite comics that I’ve read in a while so if you want to check it out you can find it on Smackjeeves and Tumblr. Also be sure to check out the author as well. They do a lot more than just comics, including painting Pokémon Cards which is a really cool type of artwork that if you’ve never seen it before I highly recommend looking into since what different creators do with it is amazing. Samadriel has a Deviantart, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and Patreon so check them out wherever is convenient.
Also be sure to take a look at Emerald Double Nuzlocke Challenge as well. They’ve been spotlighted in the past so I thought it would be good to let y’all know that this comic just posted its final update. It’s one of the longest running comic series in the nuzlocke community, with the story taking over eight years to do if you count both it and its predecessor. There’s rumor of another installment in the future, but for now let’s take a moment to enjoy both comics in the series thus far. So be sure to go check it out and give the author, Mii, some much deserved love too.
Crossroads Comics
PMD: Explorers of Life She’s… in?
Shinka: The Last Eevee And with that, our fortune teller has a name!
Smackjeeves Comics
Emerald Double Nuzlocke Challenge And with that, another great comic draws to a close.
Pi and Pea’s Nuzlocke Challenge And so the stage is set and the battle can begin.
PMD: Forgotten Memories Well that doesn’t bode well for certain.
PMD: Hellfire Man I love this Chatot’s design.
PMD: Stars Above Time to learn how to fight!
PMD: Stone Circle Yes or no questions
Pokémon: Shadow of the Sun Phew they’re okay, I think.
Pokémon Team Medley What a beautiful scene!
Pokémon: The Essence of Being Surely he can be given a chance!
Slumber Town Seems like someone is a little jealous!
The Crooked Kind And the first hit has landed!
Deviantart Comics
Connected Destinies She’s fighting back with magic!
Finding Your Roots It’s a nice sentiment Cedar but I don’t think they meant short people.
Genesis: A Gijinka Comic Bite his finger!
Jutopa’s Blue Nuzlocke Such intense training as punishment.
Kurukkoo! And that’s the end of chapter 0!
Milos from Home Wonder what this is all about.
The Fourth Moon I wonder who this figure is.
Trick of the Night Kinda a bit of a rude cashier we got here.
Off-site Comics
Alolan Adventures You can do it, Skull Grunts!
Crabgrass Hm… that’s not very fair.
High Class Homos Seems like a fair trade. I hope it works out for them.
Lil Char and the Gang Uh-oh… who was that in the trees?
Purple Hyacinth A successful investigation by these two mysterious figures.
Sara Andersen As a woman I can confirm this is indeed what occurs in the girl’s bathroom.
Silverlunarwing From the mind that brought you Shinka the Last Eevee, I give you, but what about the time gears
Strange Planet A mandatory tradition.
The post Crossroads Comics #75-A Distinct Lack of Berries appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.