Thread: NaNoWriMo 2019

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

NaNoWriMo 2019

Do y'all plan to participate this year? And if not in the official event, do you intend to do some sort of smaller writing goal to flex those creative muscles?
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

2. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

To anyone trying it, best of luck and have fun! You can do the thing!

I've tried it twice and I flunked both times quite early. I think my problem is the speed and deadline approach causes me to write myself into a creativity hole where suddenly I feel "darn it, this wasn't a good idea and I don't know how to keep going." But rewinding the plot to a previous point and deleting material causes me to lose enormous (possibly days worth) of word count and that can be fatal for this kind of thing when you then have to try and make that up.

BUT (and a BIG BUT), both these attempts were done without a visual outline in writing and I went in both times without a real plan and only mental preparation, just winging it and hoping for the best. It sounds like the kind of thing that may have been the fatal flaw in my approach. So it begs the question that if I did a nice amount of prep work throughout September and October, devised a fully functional plot in advance, and prepared baseline material in terms of characters, themes, and such before the first words were typed, could I do it then?

MAYBE...

But that's really all I can say. I wouldn't know unless I try it and right now, I'm not sure about it.

4. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I've been thinking about doing this with a new story I want to write soon. But I'm worried the deadline part of it will just freak me out or something. Might do a smaller challenge instead.

Administrator

I mean I've always had SOME kind of idea on my mind, but nothing that creative. Plus somehow I've always lost most ovation when trying. So my thoughts right now are a no. So for now I'd probably say no.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    I've alway been more of a fan of the Camp NaNo events held throughout the year. Essentially, you choose your own goals for the month, then get put in a writing cabin with people who have simmilar goals/genres. I've never been able to write a whole novel in a month, but I could put just a 100 words a day as my goal or something.

So yeah, probably not entering the real NaNoWriMo, but maybe unofficially writing stuff in the spirit of it, just without the wordcount requirements.

I like writing, and I feel like I probably could churn something out, but like... I lose motivation when theres nobody else involved in it? Despite probably needing the practise, I wouldnt want to try to write a long story.
    I might try doing little 500 word exercises more often during the month though! Snippets!

Or maybe I'll write something non traditional each week; a play, song lyrics, poetry, monster descriptions for dnd?

Senior Moderator

I'm doing a Kinda-Wrimo challenge this year (where I bend the NaNo rules a bit) starring the main cast (including Sword/Shield Hero and Heroine and the new anime co-stars) as a troupe of performers that perform Pokemonized fairy tales and folk tales, Pokemonized classic tales, and new stories inspired or based on myth and folklore.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I'm participating but I'm already off to a rocky start due to homework. Hopefully I can get things sorted out later on.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I've always wanted to try this back when I used to write. Never did cos my exams were always in November.

Good luck Noble and anyone else doing it!
    GCEA

12. This post has been liked by: