Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Halloween Costumes

Halloween is creeping closer, if you're attending a party what costume are you doing? And if you aren't doing a costume, what would you do?

I'm deciding between Mothman and Syndrome. Mothman could be a very creepy costume, and Syndrome would just be fun, spouting lines and doing monologue all night.

2. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

My dad and I are going as Chip and Dale, Rescue Rangers. Of course I'll be Dale, the goofball.

Believe it or not, this was actually his idea, and I was totally on board for that!

4. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

Administrator

No Halloween parties here (at least yet). So no plans with going as anything. LAST one I went to was almost seven years ago and I remember going as Tallahassee from Zombieland just cause I wanted to overuse the joke about Twinkies. xD
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 10-28-2019 at 02:04 AM.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

6. This post has been liked by:

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Haven't really thought about it. I haven't dressed the last few years, but I've wanted to!

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

My work is letting us dress up, so I think I might dress up for that day! I'm not too sure what to go as - I was thinking a witch, but that's more an excuse to get a witch's hat on and laugh. Maybe I could get a fake beard and go as on old Wizard, dumbledore-style?

9. This post has been liked by:

Lychee 

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Me and a few friends were going to go dressed as goths but after getting told that by doing so we'd be appropriating emo culture, we now have to be a "90s punk band".

None of these three cultures are the same and have very different appearances based on their musical origins but I guess it's too much to ask people to research that nowadays.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I feel like dressing goth is just fun to do, not even on halloween! (Short ramble discussion in a spoiler!)
    Spoiler:
    I have never made the connection between appropriating culture to appropriating EMO culture... or even thought of goth stuff like that either! Isn't emo a fashion and music subculture, rather than anything of national significance or used by minority groups? I mean, its primary icons seem to be mostly white and middle class. I feel like it's not something you need to think carefully about before doing- if real emos get upset, well, they are literally already upset! That's part of the deal, isnt it? They'll just call you "posers" and skulk away. I think its dumb when people gatekeep western fashions or subcultures of music.
    The closest thing I experience to that is the lolita fashion style community, continuously trying to say to people "it's a fashion choice, not a costume! Im not dressed AS anyone, or for any event- this is just what I like to wear!" And in that case, it's not quite appropriation to wear lolita as a costume, it just makes the lolitas think you're trash and you don't understand, or you're a noob who doesnt get it.

I went to two halloween things so far!
    A goth nightclub called COVEN which had a halloween theme this month, so I dressed up as a dark fey (maleficents most recent movie, anyone?) With light up wings and skirt and led earrings and glowsticks. Basically I was a huge blinkin beacon, making my way through the swathes of goths like some oversized purple plane with lights on its wingtips.

And then the next day I went to a lolita tea party and then a medieval & rogues masked ball, dressed as a lolita interpretation of captain barbossa. YARRR
    It was great at the masked ball, nobody recognized me.

12. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    I feel like dressing goth is just fun to do, not even on halloween! (Short ramble discussion in a spoiler!)
    Spoiler:
    I have never made the connection between appropriating culture to appropriating EMO culture... or even thought of goth stuff like that either! Isn't emo a fashion and music subculture, rather than anything of national significance or used by minority groups? I mean, its primary icons seem to be mostly white and middle class. I feel like it's not something you need to think carefully about before doing- if real emos get upset, well, they are literally already upset! That's part of the deal, isnt it? They'll just call you "posers" and skulk away. I think its dumb when people gatekeep western fashions or subcultures of music.
    The closest thing I experience to that is the lolita fashion style community, continuously trying to say to people "it's a fashion choice, not a costume! Im not dressed AS anyone, or for any event- this is just what I like to wear!" And in that case, it's not quite appropriation to wear lolita as a costume, it just makes the lolitas think you're trash and you don't understand, or you're a noob who doesnt get it.
    All of these points are correct to varying degrees. The explanation we got was that "emo is an actual culture and people might take offense to you appropriating it". Even though we explicitly stated we were goth, again, too much to ask of people to do their research and realize they're not in fact the same thing. Punk, goth, emo, scene, etc. are all musical subcultures that descended from various types of music. You can typically identify them through how much color they use in their outfits (going from least to most color its goth, emo, punk, scene), their accessories (for example goths tend to wear a lot of silver jewelry), their hairstyles, etc. There can be some overlap, for example both goth and punk use fishnets, and it's common for people to confuse goth and emo because back when the subcultures first started, there was a lot of overlap and so emo fashion (as I understand it) was originally very similar to goth fashion, but has since developed into its own unique style. And while most of these cultures are predominantly white, I will say the African American goth fashion has seen an uptick recently and man can those folks work it. Their outfits are SO pretty.

But, as the sake of sounding cynical, it feels like you can't dress up as anything nowadays without being accused of appropriation. It's dumb, killed the vibe for all of us, and now our costumes don't match our label. I guess the one positive is, for folks who don't have a lot of black in their wardrobe like me, they can somewhat brighten up their outfit with splashes of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee
    I went to two halloween things so far!
    A goth nightclub called COVEN which had a halloween theme this month, so I dressed up as a dark fey (maleficents most recent movie, anyone?) With light up wings and skirt and led earrings and glowsticks. Basically I was a huge blinkin beacon, making my way through the swathes of goths like some oversized purple plane with lights on its wingtips.

And then the next day I went to a lolita tea party and then a medieval & rogues masked ball, dressed as a lolita interpretation of captain barbossa. YARRR
    It was great at the masked ball, nobody recognized me.
    Both of these costumes are super cool. I especially like the dark fey one since I literally just saw the new Maleficent movie yesterday. Both costumes are awesome though. Did you purchase them or piece them together?
    / / / / / / / /

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    But, as the sake of sounding cynical, it feels like you can't dress up as anything nowadays without being accused of appropriation.

Both of these costumes are super cool. I especially like the dark fey one since I literally just saw the new Maleficent movie yesterday. Both costumes are awesome though. Did you purchase them or piece them together?
    That does sound pretty cynical! You can dress up as heaps of amazing things, from a bunch of grapes to a dragon to an entire carousel! Imagine being able to cosplay as a fantasy warrior in a suit of armour that glows! You can dress as pokemon! An animal! You can dress as an abstract concept (I saw someone dressed as the ghost of affordable housing the other night and it was amaaaaazing)
    So, I can't say "nowadays we cant dress as anything" and shake my fist, because I feel like there are more cool options in the world than ever!
    I feel like people are just trying to be thoughtful when its dressing up as other humans.

ANYWAY THANKS! My outfits weren't all completely handmade, more like... assembled out of things I already had at home.

I sewed the fae skirt but it was originally for a my little pony cosplay (repurposing, yay!), stitched pieces of the top together out of other pieces of clothing, and added more feathers and leds to the wings.

The pirate one my friend found the mask in a cheapo store and I super wanted to use it. The monkey is like, a childhood toy, the boots and belts I got from the rubbish tip, the bottle was a rum bottle I saved and filled with water, the shirt a friend gave me because it was stained (and I got the stains out), the skirt is part of a wa lolita set, and the bloomers and petticoat are just something I use with heaps of outfits and bought online like 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Lychee; 10-28-2019 at 11:22 AM.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    That does sound pretty cynical! You can dress up as heaps of amazing things, from a bunch of grapes to a dragon to an entire carousel! Imagine being able to cosplay as a fantasy warrior in a suit of armour that glows! You can dress as pokemon! An animal! You can dress as an abstract concept (I saw someone dressed as the ghost of affordable housing the other night and it was amaaaaazing)
    So, I can't say "nowadays we cant dress as anything" and shake my fist, because I feel like there are more cool options in the world than ever!
    I feel like people are just trying to be thoughtful when its dressing up as other humans.
    I appreciate the advice even if I was just mostly venting. I can't really afford any of those costumes even if I wanted to dress as them though. They're all nice thoughts, but most of the costumes I make are from my own closet and last year I got told being dressed as a biker was "inappropriate" so that ruled out that costume. The grapes might be the only one workable in this situation specifically, since we only found out about the event this past Thursday. But that'd also required me to buy stuff so not exactly an option. I will say though someone got kicked out of a halloween party Saturday night because a guy went dressed as drag cinderella and the hosts deemed that inappropriate so maybe it's just the town that I'm in that's super critical of stuff like costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee
    ANYWAY THANKS! My outfits weren't all completely handmade, more like... assembled out of things I already had at home.

I sewed the fae skirt but it was originally for a my little pony cosplay (repurposing, yay!), stitched pieces of the top together out of other pieces of clothing, and added more feathers and leds to the wings.

The pirate one my friend found the mask in a cheapo store and I super wanted to use it. The monkey is like, a childhood toy, the boots and belts I got from the rubbish tip, the bottle was a rum bottle I saved and filled with water, the shirt a friend gave me because it was stained (and I got the stains out), the skirt is part of a wa lolita set, and the bloomers and petticoat are just something I use with heaps of outfits and bought online like 5 years ago.
    Ye that sounds super cool. I've tried to mix and match stuff from my own wardrobe in the past, like being a farmer or a biker, or as with this year, initially a goth band member but now I changed around the outfit to fit the 90s punk theme a bit more. The only two costumes I've ever owned were a Mad Hatter outfit that I've put on too much weight to fit anymore and an otter onesie. Maybe when I'm not straddled with college expenses I can look into thrift shopping for costumes since from what I've seen DIY costumes are the most fun.
    / / / / / / / /

16. This post has been liked by:

Lychee