Thread: Smogon format team HELP??

Smogon format team HELP??

Hello all

i really want to get into wifi battles using Smogon's OU/Uber formats but i don't know squat about teambuilding or competitive things so i need help, cuz i'm pretty sure copy/pasting the top pokemon in OU isn't gonna help XD

but i CAN IV breed/ fully EV train a pokemon, i want a team that's good and that i won't get completely bodied with

HUGE shoutout to Neo Emolga for the signature and Chakramaster for makin' it work!!

Part of the Ultra Duo Set with Shining Sun Cleobel!

Senior Moderator

Well it'll really benefit from what I understand if you have a general idea how you want to set it up. Currently (until Sw/Sh rules), a field energy or weather effect is pretty highly used. Just for general buffs and debuffs. So I'd recommend one of those. A Pokémon with an item or move as an escape hatch is good too. With moves like Return or Volt Switch. Items that'll either boost you attack a lot or damage your opponent if they use a move on that Pokemon. Some even go the lines to use status moves. Risky, but it can work.

Any thoughts on what setup you're looking for?

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

@Chakramaster well i want something that's a mix of offense/defense so my team isn't full of sweepers XD i did fully EV train some guys but forgot the spread for some of them

what i have rn is this:

Landorus-T

Jolly nature, 252 speed/attk EVS, 4 HP

stealth rock, e-quake, fly, u-turn

basically it's the best i can do rn but it's meant to be a stealth rock lead

Greninja-ash

modest nature, 252 sp.attk/speed EVs, 4 hp evs

hydro pump, ice beam, dark pulse, extrasensory [i think that was it]

basically a special attacker, meant to be a landorus or dragon check/ sp. sweeper

Toxapex

Ability: Regenerator

Calm nature

i forgot EVs lol

toxic, scald, haze, recover

one word: wall.

Heatran

forgot EVS again lol

magma storm, taunt, toxic, earth power

meant to be a special wall/magma trapper/ setup blocker

Mawile-Mega

not sure what to give it yet

dunno what to put last

so yeah

HUGE shoutout to Neo Emolga for the signature and Chakramaster for makin' it work!!

Senior Moderator

with Stealth Rock I've learned you gotta have a team based around forcing your opponent to swap more often or hard press them with status moves. Otherwise it's not enough of a push.

With a team like this you need some more support too. So defensive when needed and/or status moves to focus the enemy down. So anything with power to focus their stats down or accuracy. I'll try and do some research on best right now for that later on.

2 turn moves are really risky competitively. It gives the opponent a free turn to think of an exit strategy while it's focusing the move. So honestly I'd be really careful there or think about what else would be best to replace that.

The time is upon us...

well honestly that set is me copy'pasting smogon's top viability mons so 00f

i just want a Leage Of Various Guys that works but doesn't succ either

Senior Moderator

Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Rocky helmet make for a pretty damaging combo. Medicham with Life Orb, Tapu Coco and Thunderous, Umbreon and Terrakion. Sometimes it takes some working around to really see what works best for you though. Also isn't it 510 EVs per mon? 252 per 2 stats is good, but I recommend all remaining 6 go into something else honestly to help keep balance.

The time is upon us...

well i wanna keep toxapex/landorus T

my Tapu koko's ivs suck ass tho but i have a fully EV trained tapu lele with timid and a tapu fini with good ivs

but why thundurus umbreon and terrakion? is it thundurus incarnate or therian?

Don't stress too much on putting a bunch of top tier pokemon together. What you want to do is find a pokemon that you want to build around. Like, say..you want to build around Dragonite. Get pokemon that work around his weaknesses. Fairy, Rock, Dragon. Stealth rocks are a big problem, so possibly defog mew with Wisps, Soft Boiled and damage filler.

Want to keep toxapex? Then, add in another wall like Unaware Clefable. My favorite combo is Toxapex/Cofagrigus/Whimsicott. But i like making troll teams that stomp and annoy. Toxapex has a good few mons that synergize with it. Toxapex/Heatran is a good one too. I would suggest going for a offensive Landorus and using toxapex/heatran as your walls. That can be a versitile core.

Don't stress too much on Smogon advice. Yea the rules matter, but in my opinion they never make the best setups. Dive into other tiers. Just because a pokemon is in RU doesnt mean they cant be used in OU.

Team Building is all about trial and error. You have to feel it out. Use Showdown and try out different team comps. My current team took me months and i am still tweaking it.

·»There's no advantage to hurrying through life«·
    Want to amass your SwSh pokedex or grab that sweeeet competitive pokemon?
    Hop on over to the Sword and Shield Trade Thread