Page 593 of 594 FirstFirst ... 93493543583591592593594 LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,930 of 5936

Thread: Daily Pokemon Opinions

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Not sure why they put a mustache on its evolution, though. It just looks odd.
    The mustache is supposed to evoke the stereotypical old-timey dastardly whiplash. You know, those guys from really old cartoons that would literally twirl their mustaches with their fingers whenever they were scheming or doing something wicked? That. Granted, I myself am not exactly fond of this ongoing trend of several of Pokemon's new designs getting humanlike facial hair randomly slapped onto them so I can see where you're coming from.

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow-Jolteon View Post
    The mustache is supposed to evoke the stereotypical old-timey dastardly whiplash. You know, those guys from really old cartoons that would literally twirl their mustaches with their fingers whenever they were scheming or doing something wicked? That. Granted, I myself am not exactly fond of this ongoing trend of several of Pokemon's new designs getting humanlike facial hair randomly slapped onto them so I can see where you're coming from.
    Yeah, I figured it was that cunning rogue persona they were trying to impersonate, but yeah, it's the whole thing of having a human facial hair feature on a Pokemon that just didn't connect well. But on the flip side, Thievul, despite that it would look better without that, still looks good in its own right.

The Pokemon of the day is...

#884 Duraludon

my rating: 6
    Duraludon is our very first Dragon/Steel-type to not be a Legendary Pokemon. I'm honestly not sure if I like it more than Dialga or not, but it's still pretty cool, and art least the Steel element is more clear in this one. Duraludon is rather goofy looking due to its design being partially based on a cigarette lighter (though strangely it can't learn any Fire-type attacks at all, so maybe my assumption that it's a cigarette lighter is incorrect). Duraludon is also partially based on Mecha Godzilla, one of Godzilla's rivals, which is made even more obvious due to having an in-universe rivalry with Tyranitar, who is based on Godzilla himself. That's honestly pretty cool. Duraludon also has a Gigantamax form that looks like an outright building, implying it may also be based on The Shard, which is the tallest building in the UK. That said, I really don't like how Duraludon got a Gigantamax form but Tyranitar didn't; Tyranitar is the one who should have gotten the Burning Godzilla form instead of Charizard, just sayan.

Senior Moderator

Duraludon rating: 6.5/10

Wasn't too bad for a dragon/steel type. Had a good lead in to being what it can turn into. It literally was built up to be something big and challenging. Like it truly is a long way to the top. Even the basis of what it was built around though make it a nice node to see.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

#846 Arrokuda

Arrokuda is the obligatory fish Pokemon of the Galar region. Luckily, it avoids the usual fate of the other fish, which tend to range from mediocre to forgettable to downright awful, and gets an evolved form that is actually crazy strong. And this one is actually still very much a fish rather than becoming something sea serpent-like or dragon-like like Magikarp and Feebas do. And if you know anything about barracudas, then you know that this is extremely accurate. Arrokuda is also notable for being used as ammo by Cramorant, which adds a neat layer of humor to it. It's also said to be delicious in Pokedex entries, making it join Farfetch'd and Slowpoke on the ranks of "Pokemon we definitely know humans eat in-universe".

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

7/10

I used an Arrokuda in my Sword run briefly when I had to fight the rock gym because I didn't really have a good counter for it at the time. Very good pokemon and I love its evolution, Barraskewda, overall both in design and in battling capabilities. Very much would recommend for people to use because its a pretty good water type.
    /// /
    Icon by the lovely Earthtonequeen
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

#821 Rookidee

my rating: 7
    The regional bird of the Galar region, Rookidee is unique in that it's our first non-Legendary pure Flying-type, a distinction that it shares with its second stage, Corviquire. They eventually become the Flying/Steel Corviknight, which follows on Talonflame's footsteps of making the regional bird not be Normal/Flying, but this is the very first instance where the Normal-type isn't even present at any stage of the line. Rookidee is pretty cute and I like what it eventually becomes, but the white patches under its eyes bother me because I keep needing to remind myself that they're NOT sclerae.

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

8/10

They're cute. Not my favorite regional birdie, but they evolve into cool Pokemon and have a neat Gigantamax form.

#845 Cramorant

Cramorant is one of several stand-alone mons introduced in Gen 4. It's pretty average in strength and gets a decent enough movepool to be usable. Its design is also pretty okay, capturing its gluttony (its plumage makes it look like it's wearing a bib) and its absentmindedness (its eyes are unfocused). Cramorant is also a genuinely funny and amusing Pokemon without going too much over-the-top, since its habit of trying to swallow things that are too big to fit in its mouth or not part of its normal diet is very in line with real cormorant behavior. It's unique Ability is also both funny and quite useful, so there's that.

"Sleep is a curse, and yet a curse I need to live." -Steven Universe.
    Gameplay wise I can't say much. Haven't used it competatively or anything, so no idea hoow good it is. Just from a visual standpoint it's pretty cool. I've always been fond of bird pokemon, and this one's colours are uncommon among flying types.

However, I'd rather not have to see my pokemon try to eat a pikachu or arrokuda every time I fight. I get enough of that on deviantart. :/

6/10

GCEA Stats