Page 597 of 597 FirstFirst ... 97497547587595596597
Results 5,961 to 5,964 of 5964

Thread: Daily Pokemon Opinions

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

The Pokemon of the day is...

#813, #814, and #815; the Scorbunny line

my rating: 5.5
    Sorry, I didn't have time to post this yesterday. Much like with Grookey, I got lots of mixed feelings for the Scorbunny line; Scorbunny itself is quite the cutie and probably one of the better rabbit Pokemon designs in the game, and Raboot is probably my favorite one of the line if only because I have a huge soft spot for floppy-eared bunnies, Cinderace is just... I mean, it's not a BAD design by any means, but I'm getting really sick and tired of Fire-type starters being so humanoid all the dang time, especially because with the exception of Delphox they're always athletic humanoids and that makes their designs all feel predictable and samey, so really, GameFreak only stopped the Fire/Fighting cliche on a technicality but clearly continues it in spirit. Even beyond all of this, Cinderace has by far the ugliest color scheme out of all the Starters so far; that blue goes awful with the mustard-yellow, and it bothers me how the arms are so tiny and nubby. It only really needs a few tweaks; change the blue for gray like what Raboot has, maybe change the yellow to a softer shade, make the arms a little longer and also maybe the legs a little less humanlike. Oh, and also let it keep Raboot's floppy ears because those are cute (yes, I know it's Gigantamax form has floppy ears, but I'd much rather that not be restricted to a temporary form change). Now, Cinderace does deserve credit for having two really cool signature moves in Pyro Ball and Court Change, the former which is a potentially more useful a STAB than Flare Blitz thanks to not causing recoil (although it has slightly worse accuracy so be careful) and the latter throws the opponent for a loop by reversing field effects like Sneaky Pebbles and Slow-you-Down Web back on them (though keep in mind that the same goes for your side of the field so you do need to time your use of this move wisely if you're running Screens and/or Tailwind on your team), and it has a re-skinned Protean as its Hidden Ability, which is also great. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see how some people would like it, especially if you're a rabbit lover.

The Pokemon of the Day is...

#816 Sobble, #817 Drizzile, and #818 Inteleon

my rating: 6.5 (for Sobble), 5.5 (the other two)
    And once again, there's mixed feelings all around. Sobble is an adorable little patoot and easily my favorite base form of this Starter trifecta, but its evolutions are where it loses me a little. I like the idea of a spy chameleon/basilisk lizard, it's a genuinely cool concept. But the proportions just... don't look right to me. Inteleon is just too skinny, its hands are too big, and its stance is too humanlike for my taste. I get that some degree of anthropomorphism was necessary for the concept of a secret agent to work, but at the very least don't make it stick-figure skinny. I ended up picking this line as my starter because Sobble, and it ended up performing quite well and I enjoyed using my Inteleon, but I still think its design is a very mixed bag.

#879 Copperajah

my rating: 6
    Hey, it's the Indian elephant from Raichu's and Gastly's Pokedex entries! Remember the age old claims that Raichu and Gastly could knock out one of these using their electricity and gas respectively? Well now we can put it to the test! Well... kinda; the claims about being able to take out Copperajah are easy to believe regarding Raichu, as Copperajah is said to be made of copper, which is a highly conductive metal, but Gastly being able to do the same is quite a bit more questionable when taking the type chart into account (unless the "gas" was referring to Gastly's ghost powers rather than the poison ones). Anyways, references to age-old claims aside, Copperajah is okay. It's not as charming as Donphan, but I like that we finally have another elephant Pokemon, and moreover one that's actually large.

#858 Hatterene

my rating: 6
    Hatterene is a strange Pokemon that seems to be intended as a foil of sorts to Gardevoir, as both are Fairy/Psychic-types with amazing power, but whereas Gardevoir is a benevolent protector who thrives around strong positive emotions, Hatterene is violent and aggressive and hates strong emotions of ANY kind so much that it will savagely beat up anyone who is too emotional in its presence. That's pretty interesting; this is the kind of thing you could easily imagine an old-timey fairy do, and it's interesting that they gave such a hostile personality to something so pretty and elegant looking. The one thing that bothers me about this line is that it's all-female, mostly because it feels too stereotypical. Some have excused this with the Hatterene line being the counterpart to Grimmsnarl, and while I do get the logic, I still feel there's no reason that it had to be "big ugly and strong means always male, pink pretty and elegant means always female"; these are monsters for crying out loud. Human-created gender standards shouldn't apply to non-human creatures.