Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not a clue, man TheoreticalSelkie's Avatar
    New sprites!

There are also some backstories on the characters from left to right down below:

Spoiler:
    Baroness Petra Myr

A one-legged lady of war, she lost her left leg to a devastating plague that left millions dead and many more crippled. Despite the loss of her leg, the Baroness is a staunch politician of her district, lobbying for better housing and equality for her subjects.

Ys’ala di’Marlis

Serpentine and slippery, these are the words that come to mind when people think of Ys’ala’s race. Despite these thoughts, Ys’ala is a practiced guide in the mines near the city of Zaisport [A coastal city rich in trade on the ‘mainland’]. Her slippery nature allows her to wiggle through crevices easily and find veins of precious metal. Not to say that she doesn’t like her job, but her one passion is cooking and while she is off-duty, she often sells pancakes and wraps on the street during the day.

Slyph a’Pedris

A wanderer by nature, Slyph often roams the lands between cities. While many of these lands have been explored, he is rooted in the belief that there are still undiscovered things on the beaten path. Slyph is a very friendly person and frequently converses with travelers while on the road.

Travis Byrsson

A simple city guard, Travis comes down from a long line of protectors and guardians of Zaisport. Even a coastal city with ties to pirates and well-loved by all citizens have a need for protection of the walls, and they look to folks like Travis to do that work. While he is a capable guardian, Travis can’t help but feel that there is something wrong with how the world works. These thoughts have been dismissed easily by many of his friends, and now Travis is a quiet man, only speaking to traders and wanderers as they travel through Zaisport onto further destinations.

Wrote it up on the spot since they seemed so flat without some information xD

Going to throw this up too:

Was experimenting with two color stuff and someone convinced me to animate it a little. XP

3. This post has been liked by:

Just going to dump a few pixels here since I've been doing some things? I think? They're in order of oldest to newest.

And a few WIP thing going on here too:

The second one is technically done, but I'm trying to figure out animations so that's my test sprite xD

5. This post has been liked by:

Ooh, I love your palettes! The colours all look really nice.

So instead of dumping my finished sprites like I told Speed I would, instead, I'm starting up Work-In-Progress Wednesday for myself. Don't worry though, I'll post those sprites tomorrow. And here's the post for today!

WIP Wednesdays #1 - 4/29/15

So since I’ve been getting back into doing pixels, I figured I’d start doing these every Wednesday when I can. Basically, I’ll post a screenshot of one of my projects and talk about it. So without further ado:

So this project is actually from last year, except I’ve been on spriting hiatus for so long I never finished it. Here’s the 2x view of this thing. I’m using only three colors for this for fun since I tend to go towards less colors nowadays and it’s been a lot funner trying to figure out how I can use these three colors to play around with shapes and everything. It’s been a lot of work trying to figure it out especially since it’s really easy for things to blend together with the big boss’s main color being the darkest green and then having to use that same color as the outlines for my heroes.

So a bit of context here, this is actually three dudes taking on a tower. Quite a tall one, and ruled by a monstrous demon lord at that. So right now, the only part I have done is them actually getting through the first floor (heck I don’t think they or I have gotten past the entry hall yet. Always a fun experience, so stay tuned if I ever finish this thing.
    Last edited by TheoreticalSelkie; 05-08-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Gah I love this. And YEY NINJA UPDATED HER THREAD o w o

I look forward to seeing what the rest of the boss' body looks like. As for the view on the canvas, though...I'm assuming that the bottom image and the top image are just kinda meant to fade into each other, no? It actually isn't indicative of the boss being in an upstairs area? If this weren't the case I would point out how it looks a little odd how there are stairs that don't seem to connect to anything. But looking at it more, it actually looks like there are three "layers" or "sequences" going on, here.

Amazing what can be done with three colors, and this just goes to show that!

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

YAAAA I UPDATED HEHE

There isn't going to be much lighting for the boss other than the ones on there right now since there's two torches on the back side of the pillar. I'm leaving the rest of the body unshaded because it's dark down there and I may do an animation thing with it later when I finish the rest of the project. Just some experiments with the lighting when I do that and stuff.

And yep, it's currently three different parts right now. I'm thinking of alternating between scenes and hallways (with variations of course) as I go higher and higher. It seems like I might need to make a bigger distinction between the two types of scenes I'm going with but I'll figure that stuff out later.

Also the part about the stairs seeming like they come out of nowhere... I think I forgot a doorway. Oops. I can probably add a scene between that hallway and the heroes entering the tower so it makes more sense that they're entering the hallway through a doorway... or now that I think about it, it works right now since creepy dark hallway into entrance hall with massive golem boss to take down.

So much thinking I can do heheh.

10. This post has been liked by:

Taking this opportunity to dump some recent stuff (by recent like from my last hiatus to now probably).

So first up, two weird icons where I was playing around with two colors. It turned out great... mostly! I might do more of these in the future, since they're really good practice for me to have fun with heheh~ If anyone wants the 2x versions, I can upload those too.

Next one is an Eeveelution that used to be a wind evolution and somehow turned into a demonic one. Oops. I think I still have the original sketch for the wind evolution, so I can always try that later in the future. It's weird how my projects end up compared to their original blobs of pixels o_O

The next guy was me playing around with rocky textures. No idea if it was a success, but I can say that the back half is certainly a lot better looking than the front half at least...

And finally, little cute dog-lizard thing. It's green. Was trying out green and orange together. Seems to have worked.

12. This post has been liked by:

Not a triple post D: But anyways this one is a quickie.

Lupin the Third-based fakemon! Now with all four jacket colors! Because you can't just pick one, right ;3 (okay in all seriousness, I might be going crazy but I don't care)

Annnd I just missed WIP Wednesday this week so pretend today's Wednesday.

WIP Wednesday 5/8/2015

So yeah I did show Speed this challenge over here on Tumblr. I plan on trying to animate at least three of those guys (I have one done, two more to go) so stay tuned for them later this weekend hopefully!

So to talk a bit about this kind of style, I've always had a preference for lower colors in pixel art. Not quite sure why, but I have this sense of satisfaction when I do stuff with lower colors because the constraints make me think about how to use one color in unlikely places. Though, if you know me, you can see me lamenting how pink goes so well with blue. I feel like I still have a long way to go with color since there are so many good pixel artists that can do some crazy stuff with colors like here and here. Perhaps I'm just a color nut, but this is one of the best things about pixel art for me.

I really do need to experiment more with color honestly :P.
    Last edited by TheoreticalSelkie; 05-09-2015 at 01:18 AM.