Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Not a clue, man TheoreticalSelkie's Avatar
    I finished three of those Tamagotchi animations riiiiight below:

Sorry they're kinda small, I'm too lazy to do them in 40x40 for better viewing. Oh wellllll

I keep looking at these new updates but always forget to post wtf

Your Lupin-mice-creature-things are cute. There's just something bugging me about the mouth area, though, just because it looks so plain in comparison to the rest of it. As if the lines weren't finished / finalized around the mouth. As for the color palettes, they're alright, but there's so much more you could have done with them. :> Remember when I said the other day that 100% perfect color optimization isn't always the most important thing? That's kinda what I mean. You used few colors, yes, but you used the bare minimum...or, at least you didn't get very inventive with your palettes. Using few colors is nothing if you don't try to experiment with said colors in a less...mainstream(?) way.

I love what you've done with your Tamagotchi-styled animations though :D The first one looks a lot better now because it doesn't look like the leaf is getting longer by a pixel in one of the frames. I think that's the big challenge for these Tamagotchi-styled sprites; you have to be careful not to make too big of a change or else it could throw the whole thing off, since you're doing it at SUCH a small scale. Also readability is super-important and difficult to achieve for more complex character designs. I love that little propeller...dolphin-thing, that is adorable xD

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    I keep looking at these new updates but always forget to post wtf

Your Lupin-mice-creature-things are cute. There's just something bugging me about the mouth area, though, just because it looks so plain in comparison to the rest of it. As if the lines weren't finished / finalized around the mouth. As for the color palettes, they're alright, but there's so much more you could have done with them. :> Remember when I said the other day that 100% perfect color optimization isn't always the most important thing? That's kinda what I mean. You used few colors, yes, but you used the bare minimum...or, at least you didn't get very inventive with your palettes. Using few colors is nothing if you don't try to experiment with said colors in a less...mainstream(?) way.

I love what you've done with your Tamagotchi-styled animations though :D The first one looks a lot better now because it doesn't look like the leaf is getting longer by a pixel in one of the frames. I think that's the big challenge for these Tamagotchi-styled sprites; you have to be careful not to make too big of a change or else it could throw the whole thing off, since you're doing it at SUCH a small scale. Also readability is super-important and difficult to achieve for more complex character designs. I love that little propeller...dolphin-thing, that is adorable xD
    On the Lupin thing, I'm going to go back to them later this week and see if I can fiddle around with shading a bit more. Well so far I have every color indexed so I can always fiddle around with them when I have time, but I suspect my issue may require me to just rehaul parts or all of the whole thing. And that's fine! Trying not to go too crazy yet though.

As for the Tamagotchi, they're adorable >w< I learned a ton with animation too since you can only do so much in that constrained space.

And since it's Wednesday, it's time for another WIP Wednesday! This time...

WIP Wednesday #3: On Work Processes

Yep, it’s a bit of an look into my work process. Which is about as fickle as a devil, but this is generally what I went with for this sprite.

So usually I start with a sketch. Pixel art is one of my favorite medium for this because I can be as scribbly as I want and carve out the details later. So as you can see, it’s pretty messy. But the general shape of the object is there. Inspiration-wise, I don’t think I really had anything to inspire me here other than “I want to draw a smiling cat”.

Middle image is something that’s sorta unusual for me as of late. Nowadays my stuff is more blobbish like this one:

And I’d be left to figure out what the heck I was thinking while I opened up the file at a later date. Usually I’m really good at figuring this stuff out, but in this sprite, my overarching intention was to make something with just three colors: black, white, and a color of some kind. So this called for an outline so I knew where stuff and details would be going first before I started blacking stuff out for shading.

Stuff happens between the second and third picture – I eventually figure out shadows and how to set details apart. There’s not too much in ways of struggling with color other than making sure it’s not contrasting too much with both ends of the spectrum.

As for the effect itself, I think it’s pretty cool. My friend on Tumblr, theinexplicatorium, told me it does look like something out of an RPG and I have to agree. Perhaps I may make a mock-up or something in the future with this included :P

4. This post has been liked by:

Weekend Update:

Been going through my dA and updating it so here's some new sprites:

And since I've gotten quite a few critiques as well, I edited a few of the existing sprites already in my topic:

Quote Originally Posted by TheoreticalSelkie View Post
    I love this. O: Seeing the process is pretty cool. Nicely chosen colours. :3 I think to keep the dithering consistent, you could add some to the head, though. :]

Quote Originally Posted by TheoreticalSelkie View Post

And since I've gotten quite a few critiques as well, I edited a few of the existing sprites already in my topic:

I love that stereo Tamogotchi one! Love that little headbanging going on there. xD And the other one is cool too. c: I'm kinda horrible at giving critique, but the bottom ones look pretty cool. c: The second bat thing's extended leg looks a liiiittle too long, but that's only if it's not meant to have the same length legs as the first one. xD I like the coloured dude. :]

@Suicune's Fire, the second bat's legs are longer than the first one. They're supposed to be an evo line, but they don't really look like it xD I can revisit the dithering on the snakecat, though I think there might not be a lot of room on the head for it. I'll have to check first to make sure.

And since it's just before Thursday, time for the fourth week of WIP Wednesday!

WIP Wednesday #4: Layers

It’s like 11:38PM right now where I am! It’s still Wednesday! Trust me! This one will be a bit of an extension over from last week's thing about work processes.

Now for a topic close to my heart: layers. Well, colors is actually much closer, but layers is something I’m still trying to figure out. This is a topic being discussed right now over at r/pixelart so I figured that I would talk about it here because why not. So have a layer breakdown of one of my WIPs here:

Quality might be a bit iffy. But that’s how I tend to work with layers in larger bits of pixel art. Most elements are done on separate layers since it’s easier to manage if I make a mistake with that object.

I am aware that my work process is probably terrible. I don’t name my layers. Need proof? Here:

I mean, I can figure it out just by hitting the eye and seeing what disappears, but it tends to be pretty bothersome to manage. Especially if you did your pixel art on the layer below the current one, or the background layer. However, this process is used for larger sprites that have multiple components. How do I manage smaller sprites?

Similar to that weird snakecat sprite over here: nanana, my layer breakdown are as follows:

I just keep on duplicating layers until I get to the final version. Think of it as restore points in a game; I can always go back if I make mistakes.

Though I figure that I’m not using layers efficiently anyways. Most of the time, my stuff can be done on one layer, but it’s nice to have records of what I was doing previously so I can check and compare the early versions to the final versions.

That’s it for today. As a side note, those weird 3-colored sprites aren’t going to be posted until I finish whatever I originally planned with them. So stay tuned!

8. This post has been liked by:

I totally agree that working in layers is fantastic! However, from my experience it seems that you have to be especially careful that you're pixelling on the correct layer....I use layers mainly when it comes to opacity, but otherwise I haven't broken out of the habit of saving multiple copies of my work as I go along just in case I need to backtrack for what ever reason.

The isometric thing is adorable btw and I hope you do more with it o w o Isometric pixel art can be pretty challenging, especially when you mix non-isometric elements into it.

And I also follow the layer process when it comes to sketching and fleshing out a piece, usually. For anything that's around 50x50 pixels big and lower, though, I tend to just have my refined lines and sketch on the same level.

Keep on making r/pixelart a better place ;D

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

I haven't uploaded anything in a while. Like finished things. Oh well. I'll figure it out soon. Expect some. *winks*. Also it's Wednesday so here we go!

WIP Wednesday #5: A Quick Look at Some WIPs

Not too much to talk about this week (been a bit too busy with other things) so I won't be writing up something this week. However, have a look at my current projects (because I take far too long with some stuff). They're all still WIPs... some for good reason I guess.

An WIP isometric piece. Probably seen this last week since I did a break down of the layers for that WIP post. So far, I've found the Boat to be the most challenging thing though it still needs a lot of work and polish. Might have readability issues so I'll have to fix that. Not sure if I can get this done for the pixel challenge this week but this is still good practice. Still in outlines stage which makes me worry about it a bit.

Also practicing making icons. This one will be animated, though I think I might have readability issues regardless. Playing with color theory as well (the orange in his hair actually doesn't show up as orange from faraway so mission accomplished).

That's all for today! If I get those done, expect some more uploads <3

Toodleloo~

Experienced Trainer 5TailedDemonLizard's Avatar
    All of your sprites are freaking amazing! I love your style and it's nice to see some things other than pokemon. May I ask what program you use?

Marina - GCeA Platinum
    ~~

Kinesis the Alakazam
    Level100: 320

Quote Originally Posted by 5TailedDemonLizard View Post
    All of your sprites are freaking amazing! I love your style and it's nice to see some things other than pokemon. May I ask what program you use?
    Thank you! I've kinda moved away from Pokemon lately since I'm doing mostly whatever I want. Which doesn't seem to include Pokemon. Oops.

I use Aseprite 1.0-beta currently. It works the best for whatever I want to do. Thinking about trying out GraphicsGale when I have the chance to (with the demo at least).

Forgot I had actual sprites to update with oops.