Episode 9: The Legend of the Four Guardians

"It's beautiful in here..." Misty smiled as she admired the rock formations in the Courageous Cavern. What sunlight there was glinted off the jewels embedded in the walls, creating hundreds of tiny colored lights on the cave floor.

Ash, meanwhile, recognized a drawing of a familiar large turtle Pokemon on one of the cave walls. "Is this a Torterra?"

[Not just any Torterra...] Goukai agreed. [That is Genbu, the Black Torterra of the North. He watches over the Tower of Earth from his mountain abode.]

"Genbu...so does that mean Seiryu, Byakko, and Suzaku are here too?" Brock asked.

Goukai nodded. [Genbu represents Earth, Suzaku represents Fire, Byakko represents Wind, and Seiryu represents Water. Many Kubfus on their journey usually stop to see them--and they are not above teaching humans that are brave, pure, and unselfish their holy arts.]

"So, where does Genbu live?" Misty asked.

[He lives in a cave near the Temple of the Golden Earth--so we will have a chance to visit him on our way to the tower.] Goukai replied.

As the group rounded a corner past a river flowing through the cave, a white blur on the other side snapped Goukai to attention. [That's odd...I have never seen a white Vulpix before...]

"One of the lost Alolan Vulpixes!" Misty gasped.

Ash looked across the river. "Unless you guys know where a bridge is, we're gonna have to swim across..."

[Allow me!] Goukai volunteered.

"Are you sure?" Brock asked, gesturing to the river's rushing rapids. "You could get washed away in the rapids...and that's if you don't drown first."

[If you'll trust me, I can get the white Vulpix safely over here without getting wet.] Goukai assured Brock. [So, will you trust me?]

"Okay..." Brock nervously replied. "Let's see what you can do..."

Goukai nodded, braced himself, then sped across the water so quickly, all the group saw was a blur! [Yanma Skims the Water!]

"WOW!!!" Misty gasped, impressed as Goukai returned with the Alolan Vulpix on his back.

[There you go...] Goukai replied as the Alolan Vulpix climbed off of him.

"Kaimana's waiting for you." Brock added. The Alolan Vulpix nuzzled Goukai in thanks, then dashed out of the cave and into the sun.

[I have heard of the exotic region of Alola...] Goukai mused as the group continued through the cave. [How is it that a place so warm is home to a Pokemon of the snow?]

"Alolan Vulpixes live in the mountains--one of the very few places where you can see snow in Alola." Misty explained. "The normally red Vulpix turned white to adapt to the cold and snow."

"The native Alolans see the Alolan Ninetales as a guardian god." Ash explained. "So to see one is very lucky indeed."

"Do the four elemental guardians talk to ordinary people at all?" Misty asked, changing the subject. "I kinda wonder what Genbu would tell us if he does talk to mortals at all..."

[Oh, the guardians do talk to worthy mortals.] Goukai assured Misty. "Master Mitsu says they will only talk to someone brave, true, and unselfish--usually if they need direction on their adventure, but sometimes they will talk to a hero if the world needs saving."

Piqued, Ash yelled into the sunshine "Hey, Genbu? Where do you suggest we go first in guiding a Kubfu?"

At first, no answer came as the group emerged into a cave. But after a few tense moments, a gentle deep male voice echoed in Ash's mind. You could start your long journey by teaching your Kubfu about the martial arts and culture of your homeland. This way, he learns to appreciate cultures different from his, and where many martial arts began. Learning martial arts is for nothing if you do not understand the art's history, traditions, and place in the wider culture.

"Okay? Thanks?" Ash replied. "I guess traveling to the Tsunematsu Dojo will have to wait..." he mused as the group stopped to make a temporary camp.

"Look at it this way--if we teach Goukai what we have learned, that's three or more arts out of a thousand." Misty smiled as the group pitched their tents. "So we can start by teaching him about the paths of Pokemon martial arts."

[So...where do I even begin to learn at least thousand unique styles of martial arts?] Goukai asked as the group settled into their camp. [That's a lot of styles!]

"Well, the easiest place to start are the different Pokemon styles." Brock explained. "The five most common Pokemon styles are Raikou, Suicune, Gyarados, Scyther, and Swanna. Some variations of these five are Raikou, Suicune, Gyarados, Arbok, and Swanna; or Raikou, Infernape, Scyther, Arbok, and Swanna. The version I learned back home in Pewter City was Raikou, Suicune, Gyarados, Scyther, and Swanna. Of those five, I trained under Raikou style--so we'll start with what I know."

[What other Pokemon paths are there?] Goukai was intrigued.

"Besides the main five and its variants, there's the variants of Urshifu that is your ultimate goal." Brock explained. "There's also Pangoro style..."

"Made famous by the movie 'Kung Fu Pangoro', its sequels, and the TV show." Ash interjected. "Great movies and great TV show."

"...Emboar style, Tauros style, Centiskorch style, Combusken style, Clawncher style, Honchkrow style, Sawsbuck style, Arcanine style, Braviary style, Donphan style, Delphox style, Greninja style, Pidgeot style, Ponyta style, Entei style, Charmander style, Drapion style, Swellow style, Toxicroak style, Wartortle style, and Mightyena style are the ones I know of." Brock muses, amazed he remembered the long list. "There may be even more that I don't know about."

He turned business-like again. "But for now, let's focus on learning the Raikou style first."

"Yes, sensei Brock!" Goukai gave a little bow, then retreated to a rock to listen.

"Now--the path of Raikou focuses on a powerful offense." Brock explained. "But this doesn't mean he is pure raw power like Tauros or Emboar. Raikou is strong, but he is gentle too. He is proud of who he is, but never boasts about it. He is fiercely loyal to those he trusts, and would gladly give his own life if it meant saving others..."

To Be Continued...