With plenty to go on with the goals!
Today is July 1st which marks the first day of our Pokemon Podcast Appreciation Month. Though, for a certain podcast, it is also their anniversary! It has been two years but this Pokemon GO podcast has been on the go with plenty of goals to spare! You’re tune into the GoCast Podcast Anniversary. Your one stop shop for questions, laughs, and reflection in the world of GoCast’s two year anniversary!
GoCast has been on the air for two years with Chris and Kyle. That is half of the time that Pokemon GO has been around as a game and with just as much fun. Chris and Kyle have spent this time making sure that they create a podcast that for the new, dedicated and returning trainer to enjoy. This has been done with their show’s trademark feature: making goals.
You can depend on GoCast to provide you the latest in Pokemon GO news and battle strategies. Though, at the end of every episode you can also depend on Chris to set goals for the week. Sometimes it is met with dread from Kyle. Other times…not much rejoicing. Either way, this is all done to help inspire listeners to push themselves forward to enhance their Pokemon GO experience. It is always fun to listen next week to hear if Chris and Kyle met their goal. Just another reason to listen beside more of the fun that these hosts bring to the show.
For GoCast’s second anniversary, we decided to sit down with Chris and Kyle for an interview. We talked about what has been GoCast’s goal as a podcast, where they have been since their first Mareep Up and where they are going!
Pokemon Crossroads: GoCast started two years ago, what made you decide to start a Pokemon podcast?
Chris: I’ve been podcasting for over a decade covering multiple different games over that time and I could tell from the onset that Pokemon GO would work great in the format. Once Niantic established a concrete tempo to their updates, events, and communication I knew it was the right time. There’s always something to talk about every single week!
PXR: That is true. Always keeping us busy with news. Maybe the answer to this is obvious but it is always interesting to know the reasoning behind a name. How did you decided on calling the podcast “GoCast”?
Chris: This is my doing, for sure. I’ve been using a similar naming convention podcasts for a long time starting with a League of Legends podcast called “LeagueCast”. It works.
PXR: How did the group of Chris, Kyle and Ness came to be for the podcast?
Chris: I convinced Ness to start the podcast with me once the game became our main outlet for free time. It was an easy sell at the time! Kyle took a little convincing and, I’ll admit, his initial concerns that we’d have little to talk about week after week were difficult to dispel. Eventually he agreed to give it a try and here we are today!
PXR: You could have made a podcast about anything but what made it be about Pokemon GO?
Chris: During my time creating audio content within other fandoms I’ve encountered a ton of generally toxic communities. I love video games and I love podcasting but the toxicity really wears down on you over time. Pokemon in general has one of the most inclusive, positive, and welcoming communities out there and Pokemon GO trainers are some of the BEST people I’ve ever met. It’s an absolute joy to podcast about this game and interact with the community at large using the show as a vehicle.
Additionally, we were in a position where the three of us were very passionate about Pokemon and what the show could do. Without that passion, there wouldn’t be much to listen to.
PXR: One of the main things that makes your podcast unique is that at the end of each episode you and Kyle set goals. How did that started and why do you think it is important?
Chris: Post level 40, it’s really up to the player to track and measure their progress in whatever way they see fit. We decided to introduce goals as a way to encourage ourselves to play after level 40 and to also bridge the gap between post and pre-level 40 players. Goal setting has become our differentiating factor from similar shows in the market and I couldn’t be more proud of that.
PXR: How does your and Kyle’s real life helps with the podcast and Pokemon GO?
Chris: Outside of podcasting and Pokemon GO I work as a project manager at a small media company. I’ve been lucky enough to work with many of the tools and programs I need to succeed with the show that I wouldn’t have otherwise interacted with at all. It also allows me a fair amount of flexibility which is a blessing when trying to attend every event possible.
PXR: You have had many Pokemon GO influencers on the podcast. Which ones have been your favorite to have so far?
Chris: We’ve had so many wonderful guests on the show so it’s incredibly difficult for me to choose just “one” as a favorite. I think our very first interview with Gio (Reversal) takes the cake so far. He was so gracious and willing to participate that it really changed my view on the idea of “Just ask! Whats the worst that could happen?”. I just remember laughing a lot, shaking the nerves, and having a great time hanging out with Gio. We’ve had him on several times after and it’s always a treat.
Kyle: ZoëTwoDots was just a blast to have on the show. She was great to work with, plus I got to compete against in her Trivia, so what’s not to love.
PXR: Which Pokemon GO influencers would you love to have on the podcast in the future?
Chris: Any and all Pokemon GO influencers or content creators in general. I really love the 1-on-1 interview format as everyone has some sort of story to tell or value to bring to the conversation. So, anyone!
PXR: The Pokemon GO podcast community seem to be pretty close knit. Every so often your podcast and others would mention each other. How does it feel to be all talking about the same subject matter? Any pressure? Why do you think everybody is so close knit?
Chris: I’ll admit, it was definitely a surprise. I came in with my guard up to the first Mareep-Up (our regular Chicago GO Fest Meet Up) but it quickly became clear that there was nothing to be worried about. Adam from Lured Up gave me the advice for adding a funny clip from the show before the beginning of the episode on that night, in fact. I think the huge amount of collaboration in this niche really makes us all stronger for it!
PXR: What are your opinion of the podcast’s first ten episodes? Do you like them? Anything you wish could have come out differently?
Chris: This is a tough question. You can really tell how far we’ve come since those first few episodes and the I do balk at the quality now that it’s a couple years later. Nonetheless, I don’t think I’d change anything about them, even if I could. Listeners will regularly email in and mention having worked through the entire back catalog and remark how much they enjoyed all the super antiquated content because they find it fascinating to hear how the game has evolved. Those episodes serve a big purpose in telling the story of our show but also Pokemon GO! Episode #1 is still our most downloaded episode of all time and I kind of like that in a weird way.
Kyle: Man, I’d have to go back and listen to the first 10 episodes again. Definitely a learning experience for me. I was still very new to the idea of podcasting and getting comfortable just talking in general, but I wouldn’t change them at all. I think they turned out good for the time, and the experience was invaluable.
PXR: Your episodes have nice and clearly cut out sections. How do you plan out each one? What makes you decide which Pokemon will get talked about in PokeLore and what will be discussed for Gear Up?
Chris: I learned many shows ago that a clear and consistent format was paramount for proper pacing, organization, and overall listener enjoyment. We try to keep our non-news segments relevant to what’s going on currently in the game. For example, we tend to feature the Community Day featured Pokemon in Pokelore the week before or after the event. If a new raid boss is coming out, Kyle will do a raid guide for it in Gear Up! It’s a dependable format and hasn’t lead us astray so far!
PXR: What is your favorite thing about the Pokemon fandom? What about the Pokemon GO Fandom?
Chris: The positivity and encouragement from other Pokemon fans is the crowning reason I love the fandom so much. The community around Pokemon GO struck me from day one with how inclusive and helpful the vast majority of trainers were and they continue to be a group of fun-loving leaders to this day!
Kyle: I’m not too invested in the MSG (Main Series Game) Pokemon fandom most of the time, but when I am, my favorite aspect of it is always the competitiveness of everything. The way that the fandom talks about competitive Pokemon just makes my head spin, but I still love to read it.
The best part about the Pokemon GO Fandom is 100% the sense of community. Everything working together to help each other progress is the best part the game and its fandom.
PXR: What do you enjoy about the podcast’s fans?
Chris: I really enjoy receiving emails and interacting with patrons on Discord. The email section is my favorite part of the entire show simply because the audience always has something interesting to say or ask. You really couldn’t hope for more, in my opinion. We have the best listeners ever!
PXR: How do you think the podcast has grown since the beginning?
Chris: I’d say that we’ve really hit our stride now! There were periods of time that I was doing a lot of extra work and came dangerously close to burning out. Since our first episode, we’ve managed to maintain a consistent recording and streaming schedule. Kyle and I are thrilled about what’s being built up and we can’t wait to explore other avenues of content.
PXR: Where do you think the podcast will be in another two years?
Chris: Our current goal is to just keep growing. As far as specific goals are concerned, I’m really interested in the idea of making GoCast into a video podcast sometime down the line. The milestone I’d really like us to hit in the next couple of years in 10,000 downloads per episode.
PXR: Where do you see Pokemon GO in another four years?
Chris: Pokemon GO has a lot of potential that has yet been left untapped. I think the answer to this question really hinges on the development of the AR technology in regards to PvP. If they can make live arena battles exciting with some sort of shared AR experience, it’ll take the world by storm.
PXR: What is your favorite podcast memory?
Chris: Mareep Up 2019 was very special to me. It was the first meet up we attended where we actually had more than a single episode out. Meeting listeners and other creators throughout the night was incredible and I’ll never forget it.
Kyle: This memory is probably going to sound weird to a lot of people, but the first time Chris got trigger by the term Fish-like in a Pokedex entry, I believe it was for Alomomola. He was just like “it’s a fish, it’s not fish-like. It IS a fish.” It was hilarious and has spawned its own in-joke whenever talk about any Pokemon Dex entries.

PXR: (To Chris) That is right! Your first episode was right around the time of GO Fest 2018. How did it feel to be in the room with other Pokemon GO podcasters and influencers? Did it feel as if you were in a room with giants or did your previous podcasting experience help in making you feel on level with the others?

Chris: It was a little nerve-wracking since I had previously come from a podcasting community that was rather competitive in a disparaging way. It didn’t take long to relax and get to know the other podcasters since they made it so easy to do so! The previous podcasting experience helped with the confidence portion but I was also a listener of their shows so it felt like I knew them all a little bit already.
PXR: What kind of advice would you give to any of the podcast’s fans who may be interested in podcasting? Either Pokemon or another subject.
Chris: Make a plan and the commit to being as consistent as possible. Also, don’t try to force a conversation on anything you aren’t actually interested in. The listeners can always tell!
PXR: Which podcast episode from the last year would you like to recommend to new listeners and why?
Chris: I’d suggest 85 – Genesect Quarantine ft. ZoëTwoDots! The head-to-head trivia with Kyle and Zoë was the best!
PXR: Lastly, what would you like to tell to fans of the podcasts?
Chris: “Thanks you”. I cannot tell you how much the support means to Kyle and myself. We’re constantly blown away with feedback and encouraging words and it really helps push us to keep making more episodes!
Thank you Chris and Kyle for allowing us to interview you for this great occasion! We hope that your next year on the air is even more fun with plenty of chances to go out and GO! Happy anniversary!
The post Two Years on the GO with GoCast appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.