Are you ready to go for an anniversary!
Welcome to Pokemon Crossroads where we are celebrating Pokemon GO Radio anniversary. The podcast where they have all their jokes, fun and wacky characters. Pokemon GO Radio was started four years ago by Nar and SALT, capital S-A-L-T, at the start of Pokemon GO.
These two podcasters have seen the game rise and stabilize through many different rough patches of Pokemon GO. Meanwhile, Nar and SALT have been on the mics to report on it all with their brand of brotherly banter and fun informative talk. Meanwhile, they have built a sense of community among the many people who have listen to their podcast. Together they have battled, laugh and caught as many as they can. Sometimes Nar get lucky and catch more Pokemon then SALT. Most of the time SALT is the one who wins at the medal check. Either way, they know that community is the key and always ready to highlight their listener’s emails, Catch of the Week and Mon That Got Away. All the while they are enjoying some business whisky and having fun!
For Pokemon GO Radio’s fourth anniversary, we at PXR were able to have an interview with Nar. We discuss his brotherly bond with SALT, being a dad and the creativity that have made us all laugh.
Pokemon Crossroads: Pokemon GO Radio started four years ago, what made you decide to start a Pokemon podcast?
Nar: I always appreciated how podcasts could focus on niche topics more than any other medium given the low barriers to entry. I listened to podcasts about pop culture, specific video games, woodworking, if there was something I was interested in; there was a podcast. I wanted to create a show, but I wanted to cover something highly specific. Really fill a gap. When I walked into my backyard in July 2016 and caught a Doduo, I immediately called my brother and we started planning.
PXR: Maybe the answer to this is obvious but it is always interesting to know the reasoning behind a name. How did you decided on calling the podcast “Pokemon GO Radio”?
Nar: It’s actually a homage to another podcast. SALT and I played a lot of Destiny back in 2016. A Destiny podcast called Crucible Radio focused on the player versus player aspects. They talked about how to improve, and did their best to give out quality information. They also had a positive attitude during the good times and the bad. They were a huge inspiration for us.
PXR: It seems like you two love to have brotherly banter and it has led to some entertaining listening. Though, why did you two decide to team up for a podcast?
Nar: It’s another partnership in a long line of collaborations. Maybe the most formative, were the years we spent in high school and college as debate partners. We competed in hundreds of rounds over the years, and we learned how to work together and bounce off each other. If I need to do something important, I always think of my brother first.
PXR: You could have made a podcast about anything like Harry Potter but what made it be about Pokemon GO?
Nar: Never in the history of gaming or even entertainment has an experience so perfectly delivered what a group of people wanted and thought was never possible; catch Pokemon in the real world. When I was a kid I dreamt about wandering around my neighborhood catching Pokemon.
This game, despite all it’s early shortcomings, made that dream a reality. It felt like discovery. Nothing has ever so immediately gotten it’s hooks into me, and I doubt anything else will ever come close. It is super corny, but I started a podcast about Pokemon GO because I just wanted to share how much I loved this game with anyone that would listen.
PXR: Your podcast has become pretty famous for the opening and end bits. What made you start doing them and how do you plan them out?
Nar: I am sure we copied this from other podcasts. There are very few podcasts that are so good, we are not one of them, that the hosts are so good they can riff off topic without being annoying. We really want to give folks good information and thoughtful commentary about Pokemon GO without it devolving into a bad standup comedy routine.
The intro and end bits give us the freedom to get weird and flex our creative thinking. The planning process is super informal. Normally, we just think of something ridiculous before recording. Some weeks, like this week (PGR 198), we think of an idea in advance and those are usually the best. The end is almost always our actual conversation right after we finish the show.
PXR: I do not want to claim I have listened to every episode of the podcast because I have not. So I can’t be sure if you ever mention being debate partners with SALT. Though, how do you think those years of working together in debate show in your podcast? Does it really make it easier to do comedy bits with each other such as spending 8 minutes as Galarian Weezing?
Nar: I don’t think we have ever mentioned debate on the show before. Seems odd, but I guess it never came up. It was a huge part of our lives for many years. It taught us how to work together as a team. Making a podcast is so much more than just the recording part. Identical twins might have natural chemistry, but no one is born with teamwork skills.
PXR: You both lead quite different lives with SALT being in the military and you being a dad. How does that reflect in your time playing Pokemon GO and the podcast?
Nar: Dad duty has definitely impacted the way I play Pokemon GO. I had a lot more free time to play before my son was born, but there is also an upside. Pokemon GO is the perfect excuse to go to a park with my kid instead of sitting at home. It’s a tricky balance to make sure I am not just playing the game and ignoring my son. I talk to him about random stuff in the game or just ask him strange questions to see how he will reply.
PXR: What does Shuckle (Nar’s son) usually say when you try to talk Pokemon GO with him during your park walks? Are you excited to share Pokemon GO with him when he gets older?
Nar: He mainly just ignores me, and talks about what he wants to talk about. This is possibly an ominous sign for years to come. I am really excited to share Pokemon GO with him when he is old enough to enjoy it. I’m not sure how we will do it. We are really cautious about giving him any type of handheld screen thing.
PXR: Pokemon GO Radio has quite a robust community. Some of them have even made it on to the show. How does it feel to have such a great community. What do you feel when they influence the show?
Nar: This was a big emphasis from the start. We just never thought it would get this big. We structured the show to make opportunities for people to share their stories. This game is at its best when it is a shared experience, and we wanted the show to mirror that feeling.
We absolutely could not have such a great community experience without the hard work of so many people running tournaments, helping make the show, and working the Discord. It is not a superficial pleasantry to say this show belongs to a lot of people. We are just the ones with the microphones.
PXR: Who would you love to have come on the show in the future? From the community and/or around the Pokemon GO sphere?
Nar: Our philosophy is a little weird about guests. We have zero interest in promoting the show so a big name guest is not necessarily important to us. We just want to make a good show. We look for people that you might not know already, but have something to say.
Our favorite people to have on are creators from our community because there are a lot of talented/smart people making good stuff. However, in order to not dodge the question, I would love to have John Hankey on the show. Even that would be tricky because we would want really transparent answers about development decisions, and for obvious reasons, game developers really don’t want to be that off the cuff.
PXR: John Hankey seems like a pretty, what is the best word to describe him…open? After all, there is that tale about him on the plane with another GO player where he drop small hints of things to come. Then recently he was pretty open about what Pokemon GO wanted to do under these current times. If you were to have one question answered by John Hankey then what would it be?
Nar: That is a good point. He is definitely more open than other traditional game developers. I am most interested in learning about prioritization and the tradeoffs. Example, “what do you think of the current Gym system, and why has it gone so long without an update?” I expect the answer is complicated.
PXR: The Pokemon GO podcast community seem to be pretty close knit. Every so often your podcast and others would mention each other. How does it feel to be all talk about the same subject matter? Any pressure? Why do you think everybody is so close knit?
Nar: Credit to the Mareep Up (annual GO Fest podcast party). That is mostly a joke, but there is something unifying about partying together. We really love all the Pokemon GO podcasts. Even though we are all talking about the same subject, every show is very different.
We really want to support the other podcasts and build those connections. A rising tide lifts all ships. I think a big reason why everyone is so close is because a lot of the avid listeners are fans of multiple shows. It’s like we all have the same large friend group.
PXR: What are your opinion of the podcast’s first ten episodes? Do you like them? Anything you wish could have come out differently?
Nar: The sound quality is rough. I really wish we would have spent the 60 bucks to get better mics from the start. That’s the best advice I have for new podcasters, have decent sound quality. The only other thing I can think of from those early shows is how important being featured on NPR’s Pop Culture Happy Hour was in finding our audience. So many people found the show that way, and I don’t think I could ever think Glen Weldon enough for helping us get our start.
PXR: What happens behind the scenes when it comes to planning out your episodes? What determines a “Mon that got away” and “Catch of the Week/Weak”?
Nar: The quality of the catch is a factor, but it’s really the story we are after. Catching a shiny, perfect IV Legendary might be a better end result, but it’s not as entertaining as someone interrupting a funeral to complete some Field Research. We also look for variety in the types of stories, and a well written entry with good jokes jumps right to the front of the line.
PXR: What is your favorite thing about the Pokemon fandom? What about the Pokemon GO Fandom?
Nar: The best thing about Pokemon GO fandom is the wide swath of people that play this game. I have never been a part of such a diverse community. Age, race, geography, there is no ‘typical’ Pokemon GO Trainer. I cannot explain why this game appealed to such a wide group of people, but I suspect there is a lot of money waiting for anyone that could explain and replicate it.
For the wider Pokemon ecosystem, I love being part of a long standing fandom. Most pop culture flames out in months or maybe a few years. It’s rare for something to endure as long as Pokemon, and nothing else has ever been a global phenomenon twice.
PXR: What do you enjoy about the podcast’s fans?
Nar: Everyone is incredibly nice. That might sound trite, but I remind you that this show is on the internet and people being universally nice is not normal. Some people that listen to the show know a lot more about this game, but even then, folks are happy to share their knowledge.
PXR: How do you think the podcast has grown since the beginning?
Nar: It’s easier to make now. We have a lot of people helping run things. Research, tournaments, notes, editing. We are much better at asking other people for help, and this really has become a full team production.
PXR: Where do you think the podcast will be in another three years?
Nar: PGR 400
PXR: Where do you see Pokemon GO in another four years?
Nar: I sometimes roll my eyes at Niatnic’s obsession with AR tech, but I really do think it is the long term future of this game. Think back to that original trailer. Niantic took over the world for a few months when they put a Pokemon adventure in the real world, but through the small window of your phone. Can they push it further? Can they expand that window? Can they remove it? I have no idea, but I am excited to find out. It’s that or make a much deeper Pokemon video game in the traditional sense.
PXR: What is your favorite podcast memory?
Nar: So many. Justin speaking in Russian while we pretended he was Vladimir Putin. That one time SALT got super drunk, and I uploaded the wrong audio with large sections of his rambling silenced which create super weird pauses. And of course, pretending to be a Glarian Weezing for 8 straight minutes.
PXR: What kind of advice would you give to any of the podcast’s fans who may be interested in podcasting? Either Pokemon or another subject.
Nar: Do not attempt to make money or get a lot of people to listen. I do not mean “don’t expect that will happen”, I mean ignore those aspects all together. The truth is 99% of podcasts make no money and have a small audience so just make a show you would love. It is so easy to get caught up in numbers, but they won’t bring you any lasting joy.
I never thought our show would have this many listeners, but I still frequently feel inadequate when I see other podcasts or Youtube Channels with bigger numbers. If you can imagine making your first show, getting only 3 downloads, but still being happy, then podcasting is right for you. If you are in that boat, start right now. Just make something. Anything about anything.
PXR: Which podcast episode from the last year would you like to recommend to new listeners and why?
Nar: Since it is a news focused show, I always recommend starting with the most recent episode. (Editor’s Note: ep. 201 at the time of this interview) I am always amazed, and a little disturbed, when a new listener tells us they just listened to all the old episodes. I just imagine they sound like gibberish without the current timing for context. One day, when we have some free time, I want to make a clip show of all the best jokes and strange skits.
PXR: Lastly, what would you like to tell to fans of the podcasts?
Nar: Podcasts are strange because even though it’s a one sided conversation, we feel like we are friends with the people that make them. I don’t know if it’s the time scale or a product of a show being delivered to us as part of a weekly routine, but I feel like I legitimately know and care about the hosts of my favorite podcasts.
Because I am in the weird position of being a major podcast fan and having my own minor podcast, let me just say that I care about you too. Even though I cannot hear you when you shout at the radio about a name I mispronounced or see you snort laugh at SALT’s weird voices, I consider you an actual friend. Thank you for listening all these years, and here is to many more!
A huge thanks to Nar from Pokemon GO Radio for the interview! Happy anniversary to them and the amazing podcast that they have! Make sure to follow them on Twitter at @PokemonGO_Radio! Follow Nar and SALT as well! Along with a review for Pokemon GO Radio on Apple Podcasts! Go Freakin Catch’em All and happy anniversary!
The post Pokemon GO Radio GO for an Anniversary! appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.