Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Some Art

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Thank you, @Pokemon Trainer Sarah! Hah yeah, the cheeks and antennae are 100% based off of Mudkip and axolotl in general. I also strangely seemed to make it look a bit like Sableye...
    And as of now, I'm really not sure about colors and patterns. For the most part I think I'm just going to make variations, so no two of these creatures are exactly alike.

What closed species means...well, I found a good quote.

"Open species means everybody and anybody can make characters based on the species. Closed species means only the creator of the species and the people he allows are allowed to make a character based on that species. "

People usually close species because they enjoy making money off of designing different variations of a fictional species they conjured. Its quite fun buying them! Of course assuming I do make this a "closed species," it won't be completely closed. I'll try to make some money off of Canon designs that I've designed, but people are free to create their own...they just can't make profit from them and the fan made ones won't be considered canon. :>
    Ooh yeah Sableye! I can see that xD I was thinking a bit of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch! haha Do you have a name for them?

Ohhh I understand about closed species now! That's so interesting, I had no idea that was a thing!
    GCEA

Yeah, I'm hoping it doesn't look too much like Stitch. I'm not really sure what went wrong there. :\ But as of now, no, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone happens to think of something xD I am horrible with names.

Edit: slight redesign
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 02-08-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

So lately I've been REALLY inspired by closed species on DeviantART that I decided I wanted to start my own; at least I wanted to make a creature! I was really inspired by CardSharks for wanting to go with the amphibious / reptilian route. Personally I get tired of seeing fictional creatures being covered in fur or hair. I love amphibians, so figured I'd make it as such.

I was inspired by salamanders, rays (the fins on the back are inspired by a ray's wings), tadpoles, frogs, etc. for this species.
    I tried to give it enough characteristics and attributes to be unique and iconic, but at the same time I tried to keep it relatively simplified. I think I did a pretty nice job for it being one of my first serious creature designs, but I'd like to know what you guys think? I may have taken inspiration from things without realizing it. Does it look too similar to something you already know, at a first glance?

But ahmg I'm actually really proud of this thing, this is my baby now xD

Also, @Braixen. I know old post is old and you aren't online much anymore but can I seriously just say how I LOVE that Fennekin? I love the perspective you used and your colors. I also really like that simple shading style. It's just freaking perfect!
    STOP TEASING ME I WANT ONE NOW IN MY GAME AND IN PLUSH FORM. I'm in love with that beautiful creature. <3

*whispers* Braixen didn't draw that fennekin!

Hahah thanks Xanthe. I'm glad they're cute.
    So I made a bunch of changes to make it less Stitch like and slightly more frog-like. I'm personally liking this version a lot better.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

Personally I prefer parts of the original sketch more--the mouth was cuter and I like that the head came up higher. I also liked the roundness of the first one's head from the side-on perspective. I like that you've added male/female differences! I sort of preferred when the cheek fins pointed upward as well. But it looks adorable. c: And this is all just my opinion. x)

6. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Have a Wartortle! *showers with confetti*

Anyway, this is Tahl, the main character for a new fan-fic I'm working on. Not that you can see from the sketch, but his badass bandanna is red. :D I'll probably draw more of the characters and share them here.

It just occurred to me I should really make a Tumblr to post all these sketches to. xD

8. This post has been liked by:

Ooh, so awesome, Gemma! :D I wonder what new story you're working on. c: Sounds exciting. Can't wait to see more pokemon from the story! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Ooh, so awesome, Gemma! :D I wonder what new story you're working on. c: Sounds exciting. Can't wait to see more pokemon from the story! :D
    You will see soon. O: I figured I'll be lucky if I ever finish TSR (I really made it too long .-.) so this time I'll be sticking to something smaller I can actually finish, aha. And this way if I get myself all worked up with the drawing and such, I HAVE to stick to it. Cx

You know, there's a certain beauty to sketches, both refined and unrefined. It offers a look into the artists creative process. There's also something about uncolored pencil sketches that I love, especially when they offer even the slightest hint of shading to the point that its effective.

I absolutely love this Wartortle, and I especially loved that Flareon. Do you take sketch commissions, @Lunar Latias?

------------

You know, there's a certain beauty to sketches, both refined and unrefined. It offers a look into the artists creative process. There's also something about uncolored pencil sketches that I love, especially when they offer even the slightest hint of shading to the point that its effective.

I absolutely love this Wartortle, and I especially loved that Flareon. Do you take sketch commissions, @Lunar Latias?
    I prefer sketches, as somehow when I (digitally) colour my images they turn out odd, haha. Especially for characters, I love the rawness that makes 'em seem alive. Thank you very muchly, @Speed. :D I'm so happy when someone likes my art.

If you've got something in mind, I'll gladly attempt it for you!