Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Absol
    This is a great guide, I am sure many new sprite artists will appreciate its contents. I do not personally sprite but a very dear friend of mine does for a game and I've learned to appreciate this medium a lot. :)
    Thank you! Oh geez, I spent almost three straight hours on this. ._.||| But even if just one person were to find it helpful...just ONE...I'd be totally happy with it. :3c I hope plenty of people read through this!

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutely fantastic, Speed. :
    I'd expect nothing less from you, of course! It's extremely helpful and I'm glad we have such a damn experienced spriting member on this forum! :D I'm so happy you returned. <3

NOW STAY FOR GOOD.

And I'll CERTAINLY use this as a reference. Whenever I want to learn how to do something new, or even something I've done many times before, I refer to your work to help me. XD Have for years now.

Thank you so much for posting this! You're utterly amazing and more. <3

~SF.
    Oh, you. X3c I'm glad you got something out of this!!

Whoa, seriously? ._. Well...I don't know what to say! I feel honored. :> Thank you and you're welcome!

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Oh, you. X3c I'm glad you got something out of this!!

Whoa, seriously? ._. Well...I don't know what to say! I feel honored. :> Thank you and you're welcome!
    YES I DID AND I WILL CONTINUE TO REFER TO IT. <3

Ahaha yes of course! xD You are an inspiration for me. c: No worries at all! :D /delayed response.

Well then Im glad I could make something relatively useful, even if half of it WAS reiterated. XD

When I get some time, I need to remember to make a few edits to this guide....

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

Hey, @Speed-X I want to know how to use the 8-bit mode in GraphicsGale. I've tried to use it before; I think where I went wrong was that I had to select my own new colour square to be able to add a new colour. Is this correct? Also, when I tried to copy and paste something that was 24 bit into an 8-bit file, the colours changed. There weren't even close to 256 colours, so that wasn't the issue; it literally changed the colour of the pixels in there... Or maybe it was using a 24 bit palette caused this to happen when I exported it as a PNG. I don't remember. xD It was that Miranda pixel art I did a while back.

Point is, I think using 8-bit might be a bit more efficient, especially when keeping track of the amount of colours you're using, so do I have to do that with the palette? Click on the individual squares to add new colours, and "replace" one of the black squares already there?

P.S. Half the images on the front page have been stolen by photobucket. x:

Thanks. c:

~SF.
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 07-18-2014 at 04:55 AM.

Senior Administrator

Administrator

@Speed-X Also, PXR can host some of the images. That'll get you around photobucket issues!

Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 03-27-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Oh, thats just wonderful...looks like Cure hosted all of those images on PB and they all now are expired. Awesome. Let me go ahead and find a cached version of this page and I'll host the images on imgur. XD Thanks for telling me, ray_quaa!za

------------

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Oh, thats just wonderful...looks like Cure hosted all of those images on PB and they all now are expired. Awesome. Let me go ahead and find a cached version of this page and I'll host the images on imgur. XD Thanks for telling me, ray_quaa!za
    .__. I think you missed my post entirely... xD I only just realised that when I tried to tag you I accidentally put an underscore. Flip.

Oh...yes, I think I did miss your post. My bad! I'll look over it.

Normally you want to use 8-bit when you're working with just one sprite for that canvas. (if your canvas is like a sprite dump, you may want to start a new file and just work on your pixel art there; that way you won't have other colors in the way) In order to create another color, double-click one of the black squares (make sure its not a square that contains a black you're already using!) and it will bring you to the custom colors window.

Also, if you want to paste something into a file in which you have 8-bit mode on, just turn it back to 24-bit mode and paste the image there; get the colors from the image you need (or whatever you may be doing) and then switch it back to 8-bit. 8-bit mode makes editing colors much, MUCH simpler. The image you pasted most likely has colors that aren't already in that palette on your palette window, so it will try to find the closest colors when it's pasted onto the canvas.

Using 8-bit mode is SO much more efficient, but you'll frequently have to go back and forth. x] Also, do you have your tools' hotkeys set up? It also makes things flow so much more smoothly. Just go to File > Preferences.

Also, dunno if you noticed it but there's a magic wand-esqued tool that will select all clusters of a color (whatever color you highlighted when you right-clicked the image). it's really convenient; also, if you then go to Edit > Fill (My hotkey is set up as Ctrl+2), you can fill all instances of the selected color with whatever color you are currently using. Cool, amirite?

------------

Hey guys, I wanna add a really awesome resource for anyone is more interested in color theory / how colors work in pixel art!
    Pixel Joint: "COLORING 'I don't get it' "

And here's a pretty neat tool if you're having a little trouble with hue-shifting. Obviously since it works off of an algorithim you should take it with a grain of salt...but it really gives you some interesting options! It's fun to play with.
    Color Ramp Creator

------------

10. This post has been liked by: