Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pokemon Crossroads: The Spriting School [CLOSED]

You walk into a newly built building situated nearby The Pokemon Crossroad, wondering what it could possibly be and you walk in to a room to see a room filled with school desks and has a whiteboard situated at the front of the room, along with a large desk, bigger than the others. There are many of these rooms in the building and they all focus on a different topic of a skill called 'spriting'. A young woman walks past and you decide to ask her what this place is. She replies in a gleeful voice.
    "Hello young one, here you can learn or teach the art of spriting. Many trainers or breeder or anyone from the pokemon world can come here and learn how to create and personalize their own pokemon right here with one click of mouse. Here, have this piece of paper, it will give you everything you need to get started."
    She smiles, hands you a piece of paper and walks off to her desk in the Reception.
    You glace at the piece of paper and realize it is a large amount of forms that you could fill in to start learning or teaching at this place, and it looks like it is expanding constantly.
    However, before you could fill in any forms,you look up, and notice two large noticeboards with two sets of rules on. One is labelled 'Student Rules' and the others, 'Teacher rules'
    They read:

Teacher Rules:
    1. All Pokemon Crossroad's Forum Rules Apply
    2. All student class requests must be accepted unless a student limit is stated and met. A limit is not compulsory but is set by the teacher if they wish to do so.
    3. No plagiarism in the class. If examples from others are used, they must be correctly referenced and fairly used

4. You must teach the students properly. Give critiques, examples and give them time, it is your responsibility to make sure they have grasped the skill by the time you finish the class
    5. You must fill out the form fully and post all information necessary as it would help the student fully think the idea through to see if they would like to choose the lesson
    6. It may take a while and may be quite a dedication, make sure you have the dedication to go through with it as you can not just quit or close the class afterwards without notice.
    7. All tutorials must be made with Paint or any similar program as paint is a very easy program to edit sprites with. Editing in other software is fine, however, there must be no blurriness and all sprites must be of a good quality to learn from
    Notice: Titles of lessons may change slightly from the titles specified in the teaching form
    Student Rules:
    1. All Pokemon Crossroads Forum Rules Apply
    2. You must stick to the class you have chosen, no one wants to waste their time, so think hard before you choose it as you would have to dedicate to it.
    3. Do not plagiarize any work during your time in the lesson
    4. Show the teachers respect whilst they teach you
    5.Fill out the student form as full as possible

Now you have read the rules, you look back at the piece of paper and read the forms. They are all split into different sections, There is also a note that is attached the the top of the paper.
    *To see more information about the lessons, click on the Teacher's name underneath the lesson you wish to take.*
    Lessons:

Beginner

Basic Recolouring
    Teachers:
    Speed-X
    Basic editing
    Teachers:
    Speed-X
    Basic Shading
    Teachers:
    Speed-X
    Basic Fusions
    Teachers:
    Corrupt_Voidlich
    Speed-X
    Marshmallow Edits:
    Teachers:
    Speed-X

Intermediate
    Pokemon Retyping
    Teachers:
    Corrupt_Voidlich
    Advanced Fusions
    Teachers:
    Corrupt_Voidlich
    Sprite-Overs
    Teachers:
    Corrupt_Voidlich
    Chocolate Edits
    Teachers:
    Speed-X
    Snow Sculpture Edits
    Teachers:
    Speed-X
    Advanced
    Sprite-Over Fusions
    Teachers:
    Corrupt_Voidlich
    Gummi Pokemon
    Teachers:
    Speed-X
    All lessons will occur in a private PM between the student and teacher to avoid confusion in the thread.

Teachers:

You must fill out this form fully for your student, so they know exactly what they will be learning with you.

Forum Name:
    Preferred Name:
    Class Title:
    Description:
    Difficulty:
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand:
    Teacher's Examples:
    Student's Examples:
    Extra Details:

Students:
    You will need to fill in this form for your teacher so they know you have took their class.

Name:
    Class you wish to take:
    Teacher you wish to have: (If more than one offers the same lesson)
    Extra Details:

You fill in the forms you want to and walk up to the receptionist and give her the piece of paper, she checks it, scans it and files it in a folder. She then smiles at you and shows you to your designated class. Are you going to learn or teach, you decide, it will be a great experience for you all. You step in the classroom and it all begins.
    Last edited by Coru; 07-30-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

2. This post has been liked by:

Im going to break the ice here, since no one else has really said anything....

What kind of things are you looking for, exactly? Categories of Pokemon spriting (recolors, fusions, edits, etc) or sub-categories (certain types of recolors, edits, etc)? Or is it just anything goes?

Otherwise im hoping this catches on!!

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

It is anything. I would send you link to the old PokeStadium Thread as it is a great example of the stuff that I hope to see take off but the whole forum is closed.

Recolours can be subcategorised as Inverts, Chocolates, Pastels, Infernos etc and fusions such as Simple 2 pokemon fusions, Multi Generation fusing etc and Scratching into Overall Scratching, Retypes, reposes and so on. So all in all, it is all of the simple aspects of spriting, but hopefully it can delve into the more advanced and technical spriting. This could also mean that a teacher could teach simple recolours but also teach pastels or a they could teach simple fusions and then also teach multi generation fusing. This means that the students could then end up starting with the basics and start to explore the advanced stuff. Hope this helped with your question :3

5. This post has been liked by:

I wish more people would be interested in this. I was kinda hoping someone could break the ice, but maybe I'll have to be the ice-breaker!

Like stated, maybe if the ice is broken we can get more people interested!
    Spoiler:
    Forum Name: Speed-X
    Preferred Name: Speed-X, Speed, Speedy, (etc.) is fine.

------------------------------

Class Title: Basic Recoloring
    Description: (Ah, the staple to like everything) Teaches not only how to recolor something, but also an overview on color theory, color schemes, and hue-shifting.
    Difficulty: Beginner
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: None.
    Teacher's Examples: Here, here, and here.
    Student's Examples: N/A
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you just a few recolors to make following a certain theme, color scheme, etcetera. I'll judge the exam recolor as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.

Class Title: Basic Editing
    Description: Shows you how to edit parts of a sprite to match a certain theme, adjective, etc; later on in the lesson we'll go just a little bit bigger and add on, edit, take away, etc. larger pieces and areas of sprites.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: None, but Basic Recoloring would be helpful.
    Teacher's Examples: Here, here, and here.
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you a few edits to make following a certain theme, adjective, etc. I can assure you that it won't be over anything we hadn't previously covered, however! I'll judge the exam edit as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.

Class Title: Basic Shading
    Description: Takes what you've learned in Basic Editing and Basic Recoloring. Mainly will just go over how to shade with certain light sources (the location of the light source) and basic textures.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Basic Editing, Basic Recoloring
    Teacher's Examples: Umm...? Don't have anything that could be considered "basic," but I do have some re-shades here, here, here, here, aaaannnddd here.
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you a few sprites to re-shade (completely redo the shading) based on a certain light source position, theme, etc. I can assure you that it won't be over anything we hadn't previously covered, however! I'll judge the exam re-shade as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.
    Why are the "Student Entry Form" and "Student's Examples" included on the sign-up sheet for teachers? Also let me know if anything isn't clear or if I need to add or take off anything or something.
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 06-25-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

7. This post has been liked by:

Coru 

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Why are the "Student Entry Form" and "Student's Examples" included on the sign-up sheet for teachers? Also let me know if anything isn't clear or if I need to add or take off anything or something.
    Everything is absolutely fine, although, could you maybe fill in the Forum and preferred names as it will help the people looking to take your lessons identify you better. E.G. if you just put Speed-X for both, the students will refer to you as Speed-X but if you have a nickname and put it in the preferred name, such as Speed or X, they will refer to you as that. Hopefully that makes sense. Idk why I have put the student entry form in there, haha. I must have had a reason when I created this thread, but I can't think of it so i'll edit that as I feel it will not be needed. Also, the student examples are when a student finishes the lesson, you will take one or two of their examples and edit it into your lesson form as it will show other people how the students have got on when taking your classes. Hopefully this has answered anything that you were confused about, and I will add your teaching position up now :3

9. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt_Voidlich View Post
    Everything is absolutely fine, although, could you maybe fill in the Forum and preferred names as it will help the people looking to take your lessons identify you better. E.G. if you just put Speed-X for both, the students will refer to you as Speed-X but if you have a nickname and put it in the preferred name, such as Speed or X, they will refer to you as that. Hopefully that makes sense. Idk why I have put the student entry form in there, haha. I must have had a reason when I created this thread, but I can't think of it so i'll edit that as I feel it will not be needed. Also, the student examples are when a student finishes the lesson, you will take one or two of their examples and edit it into your lesson form as it will show other people how the students have got on when taking your classes. Hopefully this has answered anything that you were confused about, and I will add your teaching position up now :3
    Thanks, but yeah I was aware of the purpose of the nickname field. x] Truth is I really don't have a specific nickname or anything and if anything that may just confuse people.

Also I remember you saying you'd think up some things to teach up as well, can't wait to see! :3 I think I'll work on adding some more things to put up there so that maybe there's like more of an incentive to take the basic classes or something. :>

------------

I would join but I don't have the patience for this :[ or time. Mainly time

Be sure to check my comic weekly! I also have some other ideas for future comics so stay tuned.

So, here are my lessons I will teach.

Forum Name: Corrupt_Voidlich

Preferred Name: Coru

Class Title: Pokemon Retyping
    Spoiler:

Description: Here you will learn how to take a pokemon of one type and recreate it so it resembles another. You will learn what characteristics make each pokemon type and how you can incorporate that into any pokemon so it's type then changes. You will learn how to scratch minor things to add onto a pokemon and how to fuse successfully so the sprite will look neat and official.
    Difficulty: Intermediate
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Recolouring, Fusing, Editing, Shading
    Teacher's Examples:
    Student's Examples: *To be added*
    Extra Details:This class will feature a test at the end in which I will give you a random pokemon and a random type for you to do a retype. Depending on the result, I will decide if you pass the lesson or if you need a little more help to broaden your skills.

Class Title: Basic Fusions
    Spoiler:

Description: Here you will learn how to fuse pokemon to create your own fusion. We will focus on seperating Pokemon's main body parts and re-attaching them to another pokemon to create a new pokemon. We will also brush over recolouring, however, there is a lesson if you wish to go more in depth, and we will also go through the different methods to fusing, such as cut and pasting, or overlaying.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Recolouring
    Teacher's Examples:
    Extra Details:This class will feature a test at the end in which I will give you two random pokemon so you can do a fusion. Depending on the result, I will decide if you pass the lesson or if you need a little more help to broaden your skills.

Class Title: Advanced Fusions
    Spoiler:

Description: Here you will learn how to fuse pokemon to create your own fusion. We will focus on seperating Pokemon's main body parts and re-attaching them to another pokemon to create a new pokemon. We will also brush over recolouring, however, there is a lesson if you wish to go more in depth, and we will also go through the different methods to fusing, such as cut and pasting, or overlaying. Similar to the basic lesson, however, we will fuse more than two pokemon. We will fuse up to four and you will learn how to bring all of the features together without making it look sloppy.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Recolouring, Basic Fusing,
    Teacher's Examples:
    Extra Details:This class will feature a test at the end in which I will give you a selection of four random pokemon a for you to do a fusion. Depending on the result, I will decide if you pass the lesson or if you need a little more help to broaden your skills.

Class Title: Sprite-Overs
    Spoiler:

Description: Here you will learn how to create a sprite from an image of a pokemon, whether that be fan art or official art. You will learn how to use transparencies to your advantage for sprite-overs, you will learn how to overlay the images to help with work and also learn how to shade outlines.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Recolouring, Shading, Transparencies, Overlaying
    Teacher's Examples:
    Extra Details:This class will feature a test at the end in which I will give you a piece of selected Dream-World Art for you to do a sprite-over from. Depending on the result, I will decide if you pass the lesson or if you need a little more help to broaden your skills.

Class Title: Sprite-Over Fusions
    Spoiler:

Description: Here you will learn how to create a sprite from an image of a pokemon, whether that be fan art or official art. You will learn how to use transparencies to your advantage for sprite-overs, you will learn how to overlay the images to help with work and also learn how to shade outlines. You will mainly focus on merging two images together. Therefore you create a fusion. However, it will still be fused using artwork. You will then create a sprite-over from it.
    Difficulty: Advanced
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Sprite-Overs, Fusions
    Teacher's Examples:
    Extra Details:This class will feature a test at the end in which I will give you two pieces of selected Dream-World Art for you to do a sprite-over fusion from. Depending on the result, I will decide if you pass the lesson or if you need a little more help to broaden your skills.

I have a lot more I could add but I will only submit these at the moment :3

Also wow, I'm such a derp. I guess I completely didn't realize that I left the name fields totally blank! I'll go and fix that.
    Spoiler:
    Class Title: Marshmallow Edits
    Description: This is just a fun side-class you can take. Basically this will go over editing and re-shading a Pokemon to give it the appearance of a fluffy, gooey marshmallow. You will be using a limited palette.
    Difficulty: Beginner; it's fairly simple and the entirety of these edits is made up of just one color.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Basic Shading (or just a good grasp on this concept)
    Teacher's Examples: Musharna, Linoone, [blue] Growlithe
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you a few Pokemon to re-shade / edit, taking this marshmallow theme into consideration. I'll judge the exam edit as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.

Class Title: Basic Fusions
    Description: This class will go over how to combine two Pokemon to create one, without using parts of sprites from other Pokemon; sometimes three Pokemon may be used, but this will be fairly uncommon and is really just determined by a case-by-case basis.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Basic Shading, Basic Editing (or just a good grasp on these two concepts)
    Teacher's Examples: Hoppchu, Skipchu, Cheruvee
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you four Pokemon to create two fusions with; which Pokemon goes with what will be up to you. I'll judge the exam edit as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.

Class Title: Chocolate Edits
    Description: Another class meant to be as a simple, fun side-course to take. This will focus on completely re-shading a Pokemon to make it appear as if it were made out of chocolate. What kind of chocolate, you ask? That will be up to you!
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Basic Shading (or just a good grasp on this concept)
    Teacher's Examples: Chocolate Watchog, Chocolate Trubbish, Chocolate Yamask
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you a few Pokemon to re-shade, taking this chocolate theme into consideration. Pokemon I'll judge the exam edit as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.

Class Title: Snow Sculpture Edits
    Description: This is yet another class that is meant to be as a fun, alternative side-course. We'll focus on editing a Pokemon sprite to appear as if it were sculpted out of snow. Be on your toes in this class, because this requires much more time and effort in order to make one that's successful. You will be using a limited palette.
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Basic Editing, Basic Shading (or just a good grasp on these two concepts)
    Teacher's Examples: Purrloin, Leavanny, Lillipup, Absol, Glaceon, Arcanine
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you a few Pokemon to re-shade / edit, taking this theme into consideration. I'll judge the exam edit as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.

Class Title: Gummi Pokemon
    Description: This is a re-shading technique that was inspired by the Gummi items from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Few of you might remember this from pe2k, but I've changed it up a bit since then. You will be using a certain palette, depending on the Pokemon's type. We will start with monotyped Pokemon so that we can focus mostly on getting the overly-glossy shading style down. This is a bit difficult to grasp, but it's pretty fun when you get the hang of it!
    Difficulty: Advanced
    Recommended skills achieved beforehand: Basic Shading (or just a good grasp on this concept); also it may help to take some other re-shading classes, but this is obviously optional.
    Teacher's Examples: Kyogre. This is all I have as of now, but I'll get more up when possible.
    Extra Details: At the "end" of the course (whenever I feel you're ready to move on), I will assign you a few Pokemon to re-shade, taking this theme into consideration. I'll judge the exam edit as I would any other assignment, and this will decide if you can move on or need a few more lessons / assignments to practice with.
    I think that'll be enough for now! :>

------------

I don't know what's supposed to go here. Pokeman's Avatar
    Name: Pokeman
    Class you wish to take: Advanced Fusions
    Teacher you wish to have: (If more than one offers the same lesson) Coru @Corrupt_Voidlich
    Extra Details: None. Thank you for making a thread like this to help me, and other people touch up their spriting abilities! ^^ Also, just in case you don't see the form until this weekend((in 3 days)), I will be gone all weekend.
    Last edited by Pokeman; 06-26-2014 at 12:35 AM.

15. This post has been liked by: