Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    I haven't actually seen it, but I didn't hear many good things about Charlotte. Your Name is of course a masterpiece, and A silent voice looks amazing too though I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. You'll love One punch man :)

Anyway, I'm busy watching the 3rd season of Shokugeki no Soma, and I also went out on kind of a random "I'll watch whatever comes up" branch and started watching Absolute Duo. Not a very good show, but I'm having fun with it anyway.

Oh yeah, I've been watching "Welcome to the ballroom" as well. Absolutely great show.

VPP

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    I haven't actually seen it, but I didn't hear many good things about Charlotte. Your Name is of course a masterpiece, and A silent voice looks amazing too though I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. You'll love One punch man :)

Anyway, I'm busy watching the 3rd season of Shokugeki no Soma, and I also went out on kind of a random "I'll watch whatever comes up" branch and started watching Absolute Duo. Not a very good show, but I'm having fun with it anyway.

Oh yeah, I've been watching "Welcome to the ballroom" as well. Absolutely great show.
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through Charlotte at the moment. Not sure what people dislike about it. The only complaint I can come up with is the art style, in that ALL the females have huge eyes, that makes them all seem cute and ditsy, even though some of them are far from it. But the story is pretty cool and I can't find a complaint with it. (EDIT: Okay the last quarter was a little weird. In that it seems to move quickly, then comes to a halt. Then the dialogue is flowing and good, but then awkward, cold and robotic.)

Now I'm kinda down that it is so short. I am watching short anime at the moment more so to see a few different things. But I like this much more than I thought I would.
    Last edited by [Desolate Divine]; 12-07-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Senior Moderator

Okay, so since I last posted, I finished Charlotte last week. Friday night I watched a Silent Voice. Last night I watched Your Name, and tonight I watched Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (Series, not the movie yet). All of them had me as emotional wrecks (dry eyed, stone faced emotional wrecks but still).

I gotta stop putting myself through this. After Your Lie in April and the last Arc of Sword Art Online 2... I really gotta stop...

Just finished my third watching of Gurren Lagann. Aaaand I still cry like a little baby at all the high points. Seriously, what a well crafted show, managing to always keep the excitemnet up, and the scenes tense. No matter how powerful Team Dai Gurren got, you always felt a sense that their oppopents might get the upperhand. And when our heroes pull through you just can't help but clap. This show is a masterpiece, no other way to put it.

Senior Moderator

It is nearly 1am, but I gotta write about this.

This is about the anime that I watched by mistake... And hell it was a mistake.

See, I really enjoyed Sword Art Online. Granted there were some things in it I disliked, but overall I enjoyed it.

A few months back, one of my friends recommends me a series that is a similar concept to SAO, but does the whole game mechanics thing better.

Then the last few days, on my Facebook feed, I saw ads for Death March To The Parallel World Rhapsody, and saw the premise was similar to SAO. Person gets stuck inside a fantasy MMORPG. I figured this was the recommended one, so decided to watch it. Big mistake.

Spoiler:

See, there were some similarities to SAO, but this show managed to get all the stuff I didn't like about SAO, and amplify it.

SAO has Yui, the annoying in game character/AI who ends up filling the daughter role to the main character, and occasionally has use, but really, can be replaced with something less irritating for that use (such as a map...). The high pitched voice and the constant 'Daddy' hurt my soul. Death March doesn't just have a Yui. No, it has four... Legit Four younger girls and three older. About three episodes in, the main character ends up coming to own by default, three demi-human slave girls. One that is part lizard (somewhat scaly skin and a tail) who is about 17, and two who're part cat and dog (ears and tail) who're about 9-10. And to be honest, I didn't mind it too much. The premise of it is these demi-humans are abused (legit, he finds these girls about to be stoned by an angry mob, for the sake of them being demi-humans) and it was well done showing him trying to find accommodation for them at the Inn he was staying at, and being rejected.

Then fairly soon after, he ends up buying another two slave girls, with the intention of freeing them. A fourteen year old and an eleven year old. Here is the catch. He didn't realize they were sex-slaves, until they tried to do what they thought was their job. Here is the other catch. The 11 year old is actually a reincarnated person who has all the memories of their old life. Basically an adult in a child's body... An adult in a child's body that really wants to root the main character... She tries to use psychic abilities to trick him into it, but the game mechanics mean a slave has to obey their master so he commands her never to use her abilities on him. And after that there is just this awkwardness of her trying to get with him, and accusing him of cheating on her when he gets to close to another girl. And beyond her, there is just general innuendo between the main character and these girls who are his adoptive daughters... So yeah, I'd happily sit through the 3 or so Yui episodes of SAO for 24 hours than watch that again...

Remember in SAO Kirito tending to be ridiculously overpowered? To the point where he nearly beat the game about halfway through the Aincrad Arc, only losing because the game master cheated? Satou (the main character of Death March) makes Kirito look so good. See, Kirito is like the RPer who's character is ridiculously overpowered, but tries to justify it. Satou is just OP. Kirito starts off the game with an advantage from his beta testing, quick reflexes, and recognition of patterns. Because of that, some lucky drops, and the nature of MMOs (the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor), ended up being extremely powerful. Satou on the other hand (if I remember correctly, as I binged it in a night and my brain is mush RN) had a glitch in the game that benefited him. He starts off with base stats, uses a spell that he implemented into the game at the last minute, and ends up with maxed stats, and near unlimited skill points, a s*** heap of cash, as well as being able to learn anything. Legit, he picks up a sword, and he learns the one handed skill, then uses his skill points to max it out then and there. He gets hit by a poison spell? He learns poison resistance, then uses his skill points to max it out then and there. I mean, Christ, his equipment and gear? All came from the last minute spell I mentioned earlier, when he was attacked by a large group of high powered enemies and used it to kill them (last resort spell) and they dropped heaps of cool s***. So yes, Kirito is OP, but I don't mind. They do a decent job of it. Satou on the other hand, is literally hax.

Whilst I admit, SAO handled the video game element well (it could have been better but it was done well enough where there was enough focus on it to remind audiences they are in a game without wasting screen time dwelling on unimportant details), Death March didn't. Game mechanics are discussed very rarely, and on the odd chance they are, you know it's because in the next episode or two, it will make a plot point. Otherwise, let's be honest, it seems like a fantasy series.

Then there is the stuff that it can't even compare to SAO with.

There was no real story. I just watched 12 episodes of fanservice with implied incestuous links. Occasionally there would be a 2 or 3 episode arc, and that would be alright, but really there was no overarching plot, and therefore, no resolution. SAO, each plot had a point. Aincrad was to escape. Fairy Dance was to find Asuna. Phantom Bullet was to stop Death Gun. The last two arcs were a little sketchy but still followable. Meanwhile this, was literally just about Satou and his group of either cliche'd or personality lacking, slave girls.

Legit, it is very rare that I watch/listen to something and regret it. The only other thing that comes to mind is V by Maroon 5 (shouldn't have wasted my money...). But this... I am never getting this Thursday Night back...

Senior Moderator

Binged Beyond The Boundary yesterday, and bought the Bluray for Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here. Watching through the first movie of it which is basically a condensed version of the series. Good for a recap before I begin watching the sequel movie.

Overall I liked the series a lot. Only complaint was Hiroomi and his weird fetish that they keep bringing up. Makes Akihito's obsession with girls in glasses seem normal... And Akihito's mother...

A friend mentioned Detective Conan the other day (also known as Case Closed). I remembered watching the dubbed episodes a few years back and enjoying it. Decided to finally continue with the subs cause there's apparently nearly no chance of a continued dub.

(Please don't jump me for preferring dubs over subs. It's not that I have anything against subs. I'm a blind person with fairly sensitive eyes. Reading subs after a while gives me a headache... =( Also I can't multitask.)

To be honest there aren't many new anime this summer that have interested me. I'm watching Overlord III, sort of paying attention to the one with cell-people. I haven't been watching Bnha as much because I opted for reading the manga. So I'm kind of looking for ideas on what to sink my teeth into.

VPP

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Just finished catching up with some other shows so I'm working my way through Natsume's Book of Friends. Next on the list are Fate UBW Heaven's Feels arc and Tokyo Ghoul season 3.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    A friend mentioned Detective Conan the other day (also known as Case Closed). I remembered watching the dubbed episodes a few years back and enjoying it. Decided to finally continue with the subs cause there's apparently nearly no chance of a continued dub.

(Please don't jump me for preferring dubs over subs. It's not that I have anything against subs. I'm a blind person with fairly sensitive eyes. Reading subs after a while gives me a headache... =( Also I can't multitask.)
    I prefer dubs as well. I am a workaholic and like to have some sort of project open at the same time and work on that whilst I watch and subs make that impossible. That and reading takes a lot of the emotion out of an film's dialogue as opposed to hearing it in a language I can understand. Especially if it's a good dub cast.