Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Chapter 9;
    .............the new apprentice

---------

Who could be so powerful? I thought, as Codan led me, Lani and Jarre to a nearby arena. The PRA building was magnificent; glittered walls lined hallways and everyone was helping out. Like a huge team. Codan slowed and held out a paw to stop us.

“Wait here.” He said quietly as he went through a large archway.

“What’s going on?” I asked Lani.

“He must confirm with Balian first,” She snorted, “It’s a policy.” Jarre looked at me nervously.

“Who could do something like that?” He scraped at a tile nervously with a talon. “I mean, you’d have to be a…god!”

Lani laughed and smiled at Jarre. “Our leaders aren’t immortal. Anyone could beat them if they were strong enough.”

“I knew that.” Jarre replied, but he still looked at the ground.

“What is Balian anyway?” I asked Lani curiously.

“He’s an Empoleon. One of the best fighters around and a water-and-steel type.”

An Empoleon… I thought. Must be tough. I heard a rushing noise and a moment later Codan landed in front of us.

“Come on, this way!” He said cheerfully. “And watch your step.”

I walked out onto a beautiful, glistening arena. The sun shone through the windows that lit up a nearby lake. A rocky field covered the southern half and ferns lined the walls. In the middle I noticed a huge, blue figure. It looked like a penguin with steel arms and a trident covering it’s face. That must be Balian. As soon as we approached, he turned and smiled painfully.

“Welcome, Codan. How are the two from the caves doing?” Codan returned the smile and held out a paw.

“Oh, they’re fine. Made a complete recovery.” Balian shook it and smiled, turning to Lani.

“A pleasure, my friend,” Lani said gracefully. “I’d like you to meet Zanna and Jarre.”

The Empoleon looked first at Jarre, then me. However, as his gaze passed over Jarre it hardened, as if he’d said something mean. And if that wasn’t odd enough, Jarre returned the stare with gritted teeth. What on earth was going on here? But I didn’t have time to think, Balian had already offered a wing.

“So you’re the Pikachu I’ve been hearing so much about?” I shook his wing and nodded. “You travel in curious company too.” He added, glancing at Jarre briefly.

He scowled. “Watch it, Balian.”

The Empoleon smirked. “Oh, so you haven’t--”

“Okay, who’s the new apprentice then, hmmm?” Codan cut across Balian and smiled meekly.

Balian averted his icy gaze from Jarre and turned to Codan. “A young Elekid,” He said reluctantly. “And a good one at that.” He gestured behind him to an Elekid I hadn’t even realised was there.

The marking’s looked a lot like…

“Rye!” I gasped. He raised an eyebrow and nodded. Jarre’s mouth was gaping and Codan, Lani and Balian turned to me.

“You know him, do you?” Balian asked.
    I shrank a bit under his gaze and nodded feebly. “We met briefly.” I replied.

Jarre had managed to close his beak and was shifting his gaze from me to Rye and back again.

“Rye beat you?” I asked Balian slowly.

“By mere luck, I assure you.” He replied with a sour tone.

I noticed Rye’s mouth twitch into a grin as he folded his arms.

“Chance or not, we have a star in the making!” Codan smiled.

“Just add him to the list.” Balian waved a wing and walked to the exit.

“Is he always so cold?” I glared as he left. Something was definitely not right here.

“He’s only been that way recently,” Lani sighed and lowered her head. “And I have no idea what’s wrong.”

Rye was also eyeing the spot where Balian had disappeared. “That’s leaders for you. Think they’re so high and mighty.”

I couldn’t help but notice Rye’s tone. It was sharp when he spoke. I frowned as Codan took a step forward.

“Let’s go and have some lunch, shall we?”

Jarre’s stomach rumbled. “I agree.” He said, grimacing. Everyone followed, but Rye didn’t move. I glanced at Jarre.

“I’ll catch up.” He was hesitant, but nodded. Rye had walked up to me and unfolded his arms.

“We need to talk.”

Rye led me outside to a small balcony overlooking the town. He gestured to a bench and I sat down anxiously. Something had dawned on me. “You know Jarre, don’t you?” Rye was still standing and he didn’t show the slightest inclination to sit. He nodded again vaguely.

“Do you know who he is?” Rye’s eyes narrowed and locked onto mine. I felt that same guarded feeling about him that I’d had when we first met.

“He’s a good friend.” I replied defensively.

“Then you don’t know…” Rye turned to face the sun, then looked back at me. “What has he told you of his past?” A shocked expression settled on my face.

“His past? Nothing, why?”

“I thought as much. Then this is going to take a while.” He shifted from foot-to-foot, then folded his arms again. “Be careful. He’s not all that he seems.”

I frowned. “Why? What has Jarre done?”

Rye sighed. “A long time ago, when he was just a kid, Jarre joined a gang.”

I nodded. “So what’s that got to do with it? Joining a gang’s not bad.”

“No,” Rye reasoned, “You don’t understand. He grew up in Shale, renowned for it’s gangs. It was either, you join one, or…” He dragged a paw across his throat. “Well, to put it blunt, you die.” He had obviously noticed my face go pale. “Don’t worry. Mostly everyone was okay. But back then…” He paused to gather his thoughts. “Jarre was an orphan. He, he joined this gang that was renown for its wickedness.”

I couldn’t help but gasp. “Why would Jarre do that? He’s not bad, he’s…,” I paused to recollect the memories I’d had with him. “The nicest friend I’ve ever had…” Rye stared at me so hard, I was surprised he didn’t bore a hole straight through me.

“It was the only way to survive at the time and this gang leader, Scythe, was more…lenient than others.”

“Huh? Who’s Scythe?” Rye frowned, apparently unimpressed by my lack of knowledge.

“She…rumours say that she was twisted by dark powers. But one thing was certain: She was an Absol without remorse.”

An Absol…I pictured the disaster Pokemon in my mind, though this one was different. A body as dark as night itself and blood red eyes that could pierce you to the very core. I shuddered as the thought subsided. “What then?”

“Jarre had a friend called Raze. As far as I know, they grew up together, like brothers. He was a Taillow captured by Scythe. There was a test that you had to pass to join the gang, however, and Scythe had wicked schemes.” Rye stopped suddenly.

“Maybe you shouldn’t tell me.” I told him, but Rye, regarding me with interest, shook his head.

“No, you have to hear. To learn…The test was this: Raze was tied in between two metal poles, on the night of a lightning storm. If he wasn’t rescued in time, he was…fried. What I heard, Jarre accepted the challenge, but when he tried to save Raze…he hesitated.”

“Wah! Why would he do that?!” I jumped up and clenched my paws. “He couldn’t…he couldn’t!”

Rye still had his arms folded. He closed his eyes and continued in an agitated manner.
    “Raze escaped, but the two…they were different from then on. Raze swore revenge, and Jarre…he stuck with the gang.” My paws fell limply to my sides and I stood completely still, frozen in place. Rye’s eyes widened. “Listen, you don’t know what he’s capable of. All I’m saying is, be careful.” I raised my head to look at him.

“I--I’m lost.” I thought I knew Jarre. We were friends, weren’t we? He wouldn’t…but I had to find out the truth. Rye shook his head abruptly as he felt the discomfort in the air.

“I’ve got to go, but…watch yourself.” The sincerity in his eyes almost scared me, as he was scared of Jarre. I managed to utter a few words before he disappeared behind the balcony.

“Hey…thanks.” Rye turned and smiled meekly.

“Rescue is your priority right now. Remember that, Zanna.” He raised a paw and vanished around the corner.

In his own way, Rye was kind, even if he didn’t usually show it. I hope I make a good team someday, and who knows how many friends I’ll make. The thought made me smile, but while the issue of Jarre was unsolved, my mind remained clouded. I had to know what was going on. And if that meant being sneaky, then so be it.

Chapter 10;
    .............the three powers

---------

“Oh, my head…feels like I’ve been hit by a rock.” Jirachi’s face creased and he groaned. “Xatu, what happened to Deoxys?”

Although he’d asked this same question over ten times now, he still hoped for a different answer.

“Vanished.” The green bird replied again.

Vanished…Jirachi thought, where to? Then he remembered something he hadn’t asked. “The girl!” Jirachi sat bolt upright, a startled expression on his face. “Where is she? Is she okay? Is--”

“Fine,’ Xatu said impatiently, cutting Jirachi off. “And you need your rest.” He gently placed a wing on Jirachi and lowered him back onto the bed.

“But I don’t want to rest! I want to help, to fight! What use am I if I can’t do that?”

“You can think,” Xatu said calmly, “Prepare, and heal.”

“But that’s no fun,” Jirachi muttered under his breath. “I’ve had more fun cleaning up after Muk.” He looked up to see Xatu staring at the sun again. I don’t think he’s all there. The sun must have messed up his mind.

“I heard that.” Xatu answered, frowning.

Jirachi cringed. I forgot he could read my thoughts!

“I see lots of things,” Xatu whispered. “But the fate of Pokemon isn’t one of them.”

Jirachi raised an eyebrow. Was something wrong with Xatu? He had been different lately and teleporting Pokemon probably didn’t make it any easier. Putting a hand behind his head, Jirachi slowly sat up. “Xatu, is there something wrong? Can I help?”

The psychic bird turned round, but what he saw wasn’t Xatu. Well, it was, but…different. Pale, ragged feathers clung to him and he seemed to be breathing rather heavily. The bird gave a wry smile. “I’m just a bit sick, that’s all.”

Jirachi simply wouldn’t take this in. “But look at you! Um sorry, but it’s true! Xatu, you need help! I’ll go get Blissey. She’s an excellent healer and--”

“NO!” Xatu’s voice rang across the canyon and Jirachi stopped, startled.

“Xatu…” He murmured.

“It’s just my time. I have to go.”

“Wait! Go? Go where?” Jirachi stood up and had to put a hand on a rock to steady himself.

“Above.” Xatu replied. His body flickered and began to fade.

“Wait! What do I do?” Jirachi called out. “I need your help!”

“Seek the legendary Pokemon--”

“Who?”

Xatu glared. “I wasn’t finished! Seek The Three Powers, Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit. Only they may be able to help you now…”

Xatu’s body flickered again then lurched upwards towards the sky. He was gone.
    Jirachi didn’t take his eyes off the place where Xatu had vanished. “Is he, he…” Somehow, he couldn’t bring himself to say the word ‘dead’.

Jirachi slowly flew to the edge of the canyon and reached out a hand. A tingling vibe was flowing through the air, but a moment later it seemed to disappear. Like Xatu.
    “How, how could he leave? I don’t know where those Pokemon are! I have to ask someone. Oh, if only Xatu was here!” Jirachi clenched his hands and glared at the sky.

Why leave me with this task?! His gritted teeth began to hurt. Anger flowed through him like a red hot flame. “Grrrrr, Xatu!” Jirachi’s voice echoed and sent a flock of nearby Starly fleeing for the sky. Good. He thought angrily, crossing his arms. A noise from behind startled the little Pokemon and he turned.

“I’m sorry…but I couldn’t help but overhear your dilemma.” A small Riolu stood watching with interest, from a tall tree.

“Help?” Jirachi murmured. Wait, maybe she can help me!

The Riolu smiled. “I know someone, maybe, who could help.”

Jirachi flew over to the Pokemon and landed in front of it.

“Oh, I’m Sierra by the way.” She held out a paw and Jirachi shook it.

“Glad to meet you. I’m--”

“I know who you are,” Sierra replied. “Jirachi the Wishmaker.” His face grew stunned. Sierra noticed, but just smiled. “To make a wish would be wonderful.” She murmured excitedly. Her voice was almost like a song, but it was fierce too.

“Wishes don’t always help.” Jirachi lowered his head. They can’t bring back those who are gone…

The Riolu stared at him. “What wishes can’t do, I will!” She smiled and clenched her paws.

“You…you want to come with me?” Jirachi asked.

“It’s a long way,” Sierra answered, raising a paw and dragging it across the sky. “I thought you might like some company.”

He grinned. “Then let’s make a team! To help those in need along the way.”

“Oh, a team?” Sierra’s face furrowed. She seemed to be thinking. “Okay then, how about Team Starfire?”

Jirachi looked in wonder and nodded. “Yes! For our ambition!”

“And for the stars who guide us.” Sierra added.

Jirachi grinned. “Perfect! Team Starfire…Let’s go!” Then he stopped. “Where are we going?”

Sierra paced in front of the tree and stopped to look at Jirachi. “We must find…Alakazam. His IQ is unmatched. He’ll know where those Pokemon are!”

Jirachi nodded silently and took a last look at where Xatu had vanished. And while I’m there, I’ll ask what happened to him. “Okay!” Jirachi said fiercely, “Let’s go find Alakazam!”

“Right,” Sierra smiled. “He lives off the coast of Matuna Valley in Psycrave Wood,” She paused and frowned. “I think it’s west of here, so the closest town we’ll pass is Shale. So let’s start there and gather some information while we’re at it. If we wait until night, we can follow the Western Star and that should lead us right to Shale.”

Jirachi stood in awe at the Riolu’s intellect. “How in the name of Arceus do you know all this?”

“Oh!” She started and turned red. “My father…We live in an observatory. While I grew up I studied maps and star charts. I’m finally glad it can come in use.” She turned hurriedly and started for the cliff path.

Jirachi gave a slight smile and followed, thinking just how fortunate he was to run into someone who could help him.

Deoxys paced the floor of the cavern with twitching tentacles. “How did that Pikachu escape me?!” He smashed the wall with an arm and made a Pokemon jump.
    Deoxys continued without a thought. “If Aggron didn’t work…and now Balian exposed…by that Elekid!” He threw another arm into the wall.

The Absol jumped at the shockwave, but didn’t take her eyes off her master.

“My patience is wearing thin, Scythe. Too many times have I been foiled! By Jirachi, that girl and now the Elekid! Wasn’t I meant to succeed?” He stopped pacing and eyed Scythe coldly.

She shrank back and grimaced. “No, my lord! Your plans are unmatched! It’s just…if you put me in charge of an operation, then--”

“WHAT!?” Deoxys thundered, causing Scythe to recoil and start babbling.

“Well, perhaps I could visit an old friend?” She paused and cocked her head to the left cautiously.

Deoxys raised an arm to his mouth and smiled maliciously. “Scythe, that could work…”

As Deoxys began pacing again, Scythe sighed in relief and collapsed on the floor. She eyed him warily and frowned.

Deoxys turned. “Go now to Likera, Scythe,” He paused. “And take the bird with you. I have a feeling our friend still has a weak spot for him.”

Scythe jumped up and nodded hastily. “As you wish, my lord.” She bounded to a nearby hole and called through it. “Raze! You’re needed! Accompany me to Likera at once! The master wishes it.”

A slight whoosh sounded from within the hole. A moment later, a Taillow burst through and landed lightly upon the floor. He paced up to Scythe and tapped his wing, then his chest. Scythe smiled and nodded slowly.

Raze grinned. “So, we’re going to see and old friend of mine, hmmm? Well, I hope he makes me welcome.” He narrowed his cold gaze and fixed it on Deoxys. “When should we leave?”

“At once. I have to wish to dally with preparations. It will not be needed.” He waved an arm to dismiss them both.

Raze turned and spread his wings, taking to the sky to follow Scythe through the mountain pass.

“I wish to see my dear brother,” He sneered in a false, sweet voice. “And this time, I shall be the one who escapes unscathed! After what he put me through, I deserve it.” Raze’s voice ended in a hiss.

Scythe looked at him in an irritated manner. “My, my, Raze. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re getting excited over this. If it makes you feel any more enlightened, I think he misses you.”

Raze glared at her. “Don’t patronise me, Absol! You started all of this, but I will end it!”

Scythe merely shrugged and walked ahead.

Raze scowled and followed her. “Time for a family reunion.” He muttered icily.

Chapter 11;
    .............truth and lies

---------

It wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be to escape the others. As soon as I’d had my lunch however, I saw my chance. Codan had very sourly started cleaning up after us, Lani was ready for a nap, but Jarre was watching me intently, Nothing I did could escape his focus. I peered over at Codan who had now begun to stack the bowls. I needed to get out of here; to the Records Room. I frowned slightly. If I remembered correctly, it was to the left of the entrance, just past the front desk.

As Codan turned, I cleared my throat and glanced at him hastily. “Um…can I go to the restroom?” I grinned and slowly gritted my teeth.

Codan smiled. “Just down that hall, second door on your right.” He gestured to a bright and classy hallway.

I nodded thanks and walked out of the room, all the while Jarre’s eyes locked onto me like an irremovable stain. As soon as I’d turned the corner, I pricked my ears and closed my eyes. I could feel the vibrations in the building. An Arcanine a floor below, a Togekiss training with a Sneasel, the Records Room two floors down…my heart gave a sudden jolt. Empty! As quiet as a Gastly, I made my way down the stairs; the elevator would draw too much unnecessary attention.

When I’d reached the Records Room door, I froze. My eyes hovered over a card slot. I rolled my eyes and groaned. Of course they wouldn’t leave it unprotected! “Stupid!” I muttered almost silently. I stole a quick glance around the room, then stepped up to the card slot. I held out a steady paw and let loose a claw from inside. Carefully, I placed the claw in the slot and dragged it down, manoeuvring around the tiny chinks. As soon as I’d reached the bottom, a slight beep alerted my attention. The door slid sideways and I held onto it, squeezing into the room and then shutting it again behind me.

Bright daylight poured in from a glass hole in the ceiling, filling the room in a radiant glow. I turned slowly and my jaw dropped. Millions of rows of shelves stood packed with figurines. I walked up to one. It was a small, light brown Eevee. A silver nameplate was engraved on the stand. ‘Lau’. I reached out a paw to touch the Eevee and instantly recoiled. It was warm! And beating! I placed a shaky paw on the side of it. A steady heartbeat flowed against it. Incredible! The records were miniatures of real Pokemon! Only, these ones didn’t move. My gaze hovered slowly on the stand. Just above the nameplate was an orb the size of a Cheri berry. I reached out and held it between my paws. It was blue and seemed to have three holes in it. A cool voice sounded behind me.

“I wouldn’t touch that if I were you.”

I started and spun around. “Rye! How?--”

He smirked and walked over to me, taking the orb from my paw and placing it back gently.

“What is this?” I stared at him uneasily as he walked to a nearby shelf and studied the figurines.

Rye glanced at me and gave a slight smile. “Don’t worry. I won’t report you.”

“You didn’t answer my question.” I repeated firmly.

He stared at me for a moment longer and turned back to the shelf. “I thought you’d know. These are everyone’s permanent records in the world.”

I gaped. “Everyone’s? In this room?”

Rye smirked again and pointed to a line of Pikachu’s. “Everyone’s. Yours will be along there somewhere I’d wager. Interesting things these,” He picked up a small Pichu from below the Pikachu’s line. “They live and breath as we do, but they don’t move. A nameplate, a heartbeat, everything.” He placed it back down and picked up the orb instead. “These,” He paused slightly for effect, “Are your past, present and occasionally future.”

I stared at the glowing orb. “How?”

Rye waved me over and turned the orb so I could see three small buttons. “The first one’s for a Pokemon’s past,” --He turned it to the second one, and then the third--”present and future. Press one of these, and the exact memories and feelings of the Pokemon who had them appear instantly in your mind. Except for the future, which is more of a prophecy told only in glimpses by the voice of this world.” Rye finished and put the orb back into place, just above the nameplate of the Pichu.

I stared at the tiny Pichu and jumped when Rye’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

“So, which one are you after?”

I glanced at the floor, then back to Rye, averting his eyes. “I…was looking for Jarre’s…” I trailed off as the ghost of a smile touched Rye’s mouth.

“I wouldn’t fool around with this, Zanna, it’s highly dangerous. His I wouldn’t recommend.”

“Why?” I snapped, “If everyone else knows and you won’t tell me, I have a right!”

He looked at me sharply. “It’s not a game. You can’t--”

“I can handle it.”

My voice sounded firm and confident. I wasn’t wavering. I needed to know once and for all who Jarre really was. Rye’s eyes locked onto mine for a moment, then glanced to the left.

He sighed. “The Torchic’s are over there, by the Growlithe’s. Listen, Zanna, if you find something you didn’t want to hear, don’t expect me to bail you out of it,” He looked at me solemnly and a touch of gentleness entered his tone. “Because I won’t.”

His gaze wavered for a moment, then he turned and walked swiftly through the rows of figurines and disappeared around a corner. I bit my lip cautiously. Rye’s words washed over me like a freezing tidal wave, but he was right. And I wouldn’t need his help. This was something I had to do by myself. I needed to.

I walked up to the Torchic’s and scanned for Jarre’s name. A silver plaque stood out engraved in red and black. The cool blue eyes of the Torchic stared back placidly. As I took the orb in my paws, I shivered. It glistened as I turned to the first, gleaming button. If I hesitated, I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it. Without a second thought, I pressed it in and uttered a small yelp as my world went black.

Pain erupted in my head like a million nails. My vision was constantly going in and out of focus. The world was shifting through the very fabric of time and space! As soon as I thought my head would explode, the pain ended and my vision cleared.

I stood in an old warehouse. It had a tin roof and sandstone walls. Huge boxes lined the back wall, with only a single window in the roof to allow light to flow freely into the building. A small archway was at my left, in the wall, and it seemed to attract the light which gave an eerie feeling to the engravings upon it. The rest of the room stood bare apart from a Gengar, a Torchic and a midnight-black Absol. Scythe.

Jarre stood a couple of metres from Scythe, talking in a low voice to the Gengar, who returned his words with a sharp nod.

Suddenly, I felt very powerful and pleased. I looked down at my body and almost reeled. I was a transparent, flickering figure! My eyes widened as I understood what was going on. I was a mere spirit in Jarre’s past. The sudden emotions I had, belonged to him! We were in total sync with each other. A sharp voice pierced my mind.

So…he is on the move again…

I jumped. The voice was cold and harsh. It was almost so different from the Jarre I now knew. I could hear his very thoughts and emotions pulse through me. And at the moment, I felt good. Energy and vigour made me feel alive!

My gaze locked onto the Gengar who was now moving swiftly back to the sitting Absol. At his approach, she held her head high and smirked.

“No need to worry. Send out a search crew,” She relaxed and retracted her claws. “He’s close. I can feel it!”

Her very aura was malicious. Rye had been right when he said she was renown for her wickedness.

The Gengar gave a curt nod and turned to Jarre. “Assemble the Hunters.”

The Torchic nodded and walked over to the engraved archway. I followed him and stopped a couple of metres away. In my mind I began to hear strange words.

…Akatune, viaera, dask ka’une! …

The cold stone doors of the archway spun open and the engravings glowed in a bright, crimson red. The words were a silent password, no doubt conveyed by telepathy. Only those who knew them would be able to enter and exit at will.

I followed Jarre silently through the stone doors. As soon as I was through they automatically shut, causing me to start. Jarre had stopped at the end of a dark hall. The sandstone walls were lined with fiery torches, lighting the walkway dimly. As I edged up to him, I saw a group of vicious looking Pokemon.

They were about four feet tall with a dark grey body, large hooked claws; dark red eyes, tail, collar, ears and a crest on top of it’s head. Each had small protruding fangs and a bright gold gem-like thing embedded in it’s forehead. My instincts told me that these Pokemon were called Weavile, and they were not to mess around with. Their build suggested great speed and strength.

Jarre began to talk in a low, hushed tone. “I know he’s out there somewhere. Find me that Pikachu, or heads will roll. And it won’t be mine.”

The group of Weavile nodded, saluted Jarre and jumped up through a small opening in the right wall.
    I saw Jarre smile. I know the Hunters won’t fail me. That Pikachu will be mine within the hour.

As I felt his anger and satisfaction pass through me, I paused to think. Jarre wanted a Pikachu. What in the name of Arceus for? I shook my head. I’d never heard of that saying before…how did I know it? I must have gotten it from the depths of Jarre’s subconscious, I concluded.

Jarre sighed and headed off through the left wing. I followed, but this time kept my distance. This Torchic was beginning to scare me. He looked so different than what I knew. His eyes were more narrowed and a darker shade of blue than I remembered. His wings were rough and edgy, as was his crest and feathers, which were now a darker hue of red. His talons were long and curved and looked deadly. My insides lurched. Whoever this Pokemon was, it wasn’t Jarre. And I had no desire to get any closer to it. My thoughts followed me as I entered a new room.

This one was occupied by metal cages and tables. A testing room? As I saw more of the room however, there seemed to be Pokemon strapped to the tables, struggling like crazy to free themselves. No, not a testing room, I thought, a torturing room! This didn’t seem to phase Jarre as he walked up to a cage. Two Pokemon seemed to be inside. My instincts told me they were a Sneasel and a Buizel. As Jarre approached, the Sneasel glared and bared it’s teeth, snarling.

Jarre sneered. “Well, well, Sneasel. Ready to talk yet?”

“Never,” It hissed. “You won’t get a single word out of me for as long as I live!”

Jarre looked offended. “That shouldn’t be too long the way you’re heading. But…we’ll see. Guards!”

At Jarre’s call, two Tyranitar came up and unlocked the cage. The Sneasel stood firm while the Buizel looked up and stared in nervous shock at it’s companion. As the Tyranitar backed out with the Sneasel, Jarre followed them as they strapped it tightly to a wooden cross. The Sneasel snarled and hissed, but the Tyranitar were too strong for it. His attempts to escape were nothing more than a pitiful struggle to them. As Jarre nodded to the guards and they backed away, the Sneasel panted for breath and hung it’s head limply. I really didn’t like where this was heading. Jarre walked up to the Sneasel and raised his head in satisfaction.

“Talk, Sneasel.”

The Pokemon sneered and spat on the Torchic. Jarre bared his beak in a snarl and scratched at it with a talon. The wail of the Sneasel hit me like a shock wave, but I was incapable of feeling sad. All I felt was pulsing hot anger and contentment. I felt it would drive me insane if I didn’t get out of here soon, but I was stuck! My eyes watched as crimson blood flowed freely from the open wound in the Sneasel’s chest.

Jarre smile maliciously. “Now pray I won’t have to do that again. Where is the Pikachu?”

The Sneasel raised it’s head and smiled. “Taking down your master from the petty throne he sits on!”

Jarre scowled and narrowed his eyes, raising a foot. “Don’t make me do it…”

The Sneasel merely smirked. “You can’t silence us. We are rescuers, free and proud. We serve no one,” He narrowed his eyes. “Certainly not little chickens!”

Jarre had snapped. I felt seething hatred flow through my veins, and at the same time, willing the memory to stop. The Torchic had begun to glow red. As he opened his beak, a hot jet of flame pulsed out and engulfed the Sneasel. In an instant, it’s shrieks had pierced me. I covered my ears, writhing in agony like the Sneasel. And still, my eyes were stuck fast to the scene. As the flames cleared I saw the Pokemon. He was alive, but badly burnt. A singed smell wafted through the air.

“Now talk!” Jarre hissed.

The Sneasel said not a word as it struggled to stay conscious. Jarre’s eyes narrowed again. He jumped up and in one swift movement he had buried his talons deep within the Pokemon’s chest. The Sneasel screamed and his eyelids fluttered. Jarre’s talons made him stick fast to the poor Pokemon. Blood poured from the fresh pinholes in his right side. The Sneasel yelped again and creased it’s face as Jarre tightened the grip with his talons.

“One, swift movement, Sneasel, and I can rip out a chunk of your flesh. Now, one last time. Where is the PIKACHU!?”

Jarre’s sharp voice rang through the entire room. Every last square inch had been rendered silent as to hear what would happen to the Sneasel. As Jarre looked at it firmly, he raised his head once more.

“Darkrai has your soul now. You’re cursed to your very core, Torchic. And I will always remember your seething rage as I die before your talons, never saying a word!” He managed a meek grin and clenched his claws. “Go on…kill me!”

Jarre paused in shock. “I prefer a more tortured approach!”

Jarre’s voice had truly reached madness. He screeched and started to pull a talon from the Sneasel’s body. A rippling, sucking sound ensued. It screamed in agony as flesh ripped away from it’s chest, covering Jarre’s foot in slippery red blood. The manic look on the Torchic’s face held my eyes as matted fur and flesh stuck to his talons. The Sneasel was now almost unconscious, it’s face twisted in pain. Just as Jarre began to draw out the other foot, I felt a jerk. My consciousness was slipping.

I reeled back and my eyes were torn away from the death scene. I put a paw to my head and fell to the floor, the Sneasel’s last screams ringing in my ears. My vision blurred and I collapsed. The last thing I saw was the hazy red body of the Torchic still gripping vicelike to the grey figure. With a final jerk, my mind slipped from the images, the screaming stopped and my world turned black.

Chapter 12;
    .............a traitor exposed

---------

The pain obscuring my mind began to fade. The jerking feeling had subsided and my consciousness began to return to reality. Is this…a dream? No…I hear voices…calling to me…

“Zanna!”

My eyes snapped open. A yellow face phased in and out of view, like a magnifying glass, or an out of tune radio. As my vision cleared, I realised it was Rye who had spoken. Where was I? The Records room…I gasped. In an instant, all of my memories flooded back to me, bringing with them the horrific scene I had envisioned within Jarre’s orb. Slowly, I put a paw to my head and sat up. “Rye, you said you wouldn’t help me…”

The Elekid’s look of concern faded and turned to a cold frown. “I didn’t.” He thrust an arm backwards to indicate that someone was there.

A hazy, red circle grew into focus. “Jarre!” I gasped, and in my moments panic, fell back to the floor. “You…you brought me back!”

The Torchic stared at me menacingly. It’s sweet temperament gone, he was a Pokemon transformed. “Yes.” He muttered icily, staring at me with horror and betrayal.

But I wasn’t the betrayer here, he was. And I was never going to forget it. “You worked for Scythe,” I muttered. “In her gang, you…were evil.” I stole a look at the Torchic who was now looking at the glossy tiles.

A pained expression creased his brow, and his menacing, blue eyes shone. “I wasn’t always like that, Zanna,” He murmured. “I didn’t want to be what I became.” He sighed.

I turned to look at Rye, who stared at me solemnly and nodded. “But you did,” I said firmly, “And all of the creatures who suffered under your talons…” I trailed off.

Jarre turned hesitantly towards me and frowned. “Did you think I wanted to do it?!” He cried. “Did you think I wanted to work for Scythe? To be who I was?” He paused and shook. “No…It overtook me, Zanna…I was a demon! Scythe made me into who I was; a monster without a soul. I did her evil deeds not because I wanted to, but because she ordered it!” He paused again and studied me carefully before a glazed look fell over his face. “When Raze…when he left, I…I wasn’t the same Pokemon I was when he was here. The only thing that I cared about had vanished and forsaken me. You must understand, I had nothing else to live for!”

“So you ruined the lives of others because you had nothing to live for?!” I spat back angrily. “Then you were just as bad as Scythe! Worse even, a coward and a fool for doing it!”

Jarre took a step forward and glared. “Don’t speak of what you don’t understand! How could you? You’ve never had someone betray you and run off, leaving you all alone. To feel like a black hole, or a deep void, Zanna. To feel broken…” Tears entered his eyes. “Don’t ever say that I was a monster! If you haven’t been through it, you don’t know!”

I grew hot and sparks flew from my cheeks. I wavered as I stood up to confront him. “You had a choice,” I said coldly, “You had a choice and you threw it! Your petty brother doesn’t deserve you! If you thought for one second about whose lives you were endangering, who you so brutally murdered! You think you would feel something!” I shot a cold look at Jarre, who was trying to hold back tears and at the same time trying to stop himself from lunging at me. “But you were right all along! You’re not a Pokemon, you’re a demon! And so you will remain until the end of your days, Jarre,” I remembered the words that the tortured Sneasel had uttered. “Darkrai has your soul now. You’re cursed, and you won’t get it back!” I stopped as my voice rose to a fevered pitch.

My gritted teeth began to hurt, but I was too angry to notice. All I saw was the effect of my words. Upon hearing the line, Jarre’s face had turned inexplicably pale. He must have guessed by now which memory I’d seen. He swayed on the spot for a moment, looking downcast and sodden. But within a second, his fire had returned.

He narrowed his eyes again and glared. His voice had taken on a softer tone, but it was by no means friendly. “You may think I’m a demon, but I’m not the betrayer. You stole into my memories…you couldn’t have just asked, could you? Everything has to be the difficult way for you!”

“And you’re perfect?” I almost burst out in hysterical laughter. “No, I think you’re the betrayer. Of friendship and more. I mean, how do you think I felt when I found out my best friend was a murderer?”

It all happened in an instant. Rye’s eyes snapped and locked onto mine. They widened and wavered a bit before allowing themselves to be torn away. Jarre took a similar motion, though after a few moments he ended up frowning.

“Speaking of friendship, I thought of a name for the team,” He paused to see my reaction, and when I made none, continued. “Team Stormriders,” He said slowly, “For riding out the storm, however tough. This may be one of those situations, Zanna. And I think we both need to adjust.” With a last, glowering look, he turned on his talons and hurriedly left the room.

I sighed and looked at the floor. Team Stormriders…a whole lot of good that did right now. We would probably never talk again, let alone work as a team. I stared at my paws and shivered. Despite the warmth that the room provided, I couldn’t help but shake. My heart was pounding and I thought my head would explode from all the pressure, not to mention the horrors that I’d just seen.

“That was…intense.” Rye’s voice brought me back from my reverie.

I sighed. “Well I’d like to never talk about it again.”

Rye made a small laugh and raised an eyebrow in a cynical expression. “Is this one of those moments when you wish a hole would swallow you?”

I was just about to reply, when I noticed something. Rye had laughed. And not just a s****** either. He’d actually laughed. I looked up and stared at him. A bright, warm smile lit his face, and I couldn’t help but notice that he looked more handsome like that. His emerald green eyes, which were usually narrowed, were now sparkling. Like a leaf that had been splashed with water--completely revitalised! I let my shocked expression fall and allowed a smile to consume my face. “This would be one of those times.”

Rye flashed a grin and held my gaze for a moment longer before turning away.

I stared after him. “You may not have helped me directly back there,” I murmured, “But I can see that you watched over me. Thankyou.”

Rye seemed to hesitate. “I wasn’t about to let that Torchic make a meal out of you…” He paused slightly. “And I wanted to make sure you were okay…you went into a kind of fit. I couldn’t leave you like that.” His tone was more cool now. Back to its usual self.

I smiled. “Well, whatever your motives were, thanks for being a good friend. I don’t know what Jarre would have done otherwise.” I saw Rye start at the word ‘friend’. A look of concern glided over my face. Rye seemed to have gone rather rigid. His back was turned to me, so I couldn’t see his face, but…I took a step forward and peered at him anxiously. “Rye, are you okay? I--”

He cut me off and whirled round to face me. “I--I’m sorry. I have to go.” The distraught Elekid hurried past me towards the door.

I stared at him as he left, slowly letting the door slide back into place after him. What in the name of Arceus? Rye seemed distressed. Had I said something? I remembered the startled look that had glazed his green eyes as he’d turned to face me. It had to be something I did…after that sentence…I shook the thought from my mind. No, he probably just had somewhere else to be. Like he always does when you’re around…The voice inside my head whispered coldly. Gaahhh! I tore brusquely through the room towards the door. I slipped out silently and was about to close it when my foot hit something. “What…?”

I peered down at the tiles and noticed a long, white ribbon. I bent down and picked it up in my paws, frowning slightly. It was silky and smooth to the touch. The edges were embossed in silver, and strange markings appeared across it, like an ancient dialect. As I ran a paw over it, I stared down the hallway. Rye must have dropped it when he ran off, I thought. It wasn’t here when Jarre went. I curled it up carefully and buried it within my fur, deciding I would give it back to him the next time we met, which my previous meetings told me wouldn’t be too long.

Now I really needed to get back. The others would have wondered where I went, seeing as I only told them I was going to the restroom, and that would have been how long ago? I took the elevator this time. No use hiding that I’d been gone, when they probably figured that out ages ago too. As soon as the doors slid open, I took off down the hall, both eager and nervous to get back.

“And where have you been?”

The all too familiar brusque voice of Lani drifted into my mind. I stole a look at Jarre who remained silent and watched me with unnerving eyes. So he hadn’t given me away”I just went for a walk around the building,” I answered. “You know, to clear my head.”

Jarre said not a word and continued to stare at me silently. Happy with the answer, Lani turned to Codan who seemed to be holding some kind of badge.

He smiled warmly at me. “Zanna, I’d officially like to confer this badge to you as a rescuer-in-training. Tomorrow, we start the real training--techniques and all. Here you go, and take heed of our motto: ‘To fight with pride and freedom--our honour as rescuers’.” Codan silently handed me the badge, which glinted in the sunlight.

It was small, with an egg shape at the center of it and two wings on the side, just like the one I’d seen Rye holding when we first met. Only this one had my name engraved in it. It glinted across the center with the PRA motto engraved underneath. “Wow,” I muttered. “Thankyou so much.” I glanced at Jarre briefly.

Codan seemed to guess my thoughts. “Jarre will get his when he’s battled me, like you did. If he passes, he’ll be awarded with the badge.”

I nodded slowly and then stopped. Wait”But I didn’t hit you!” I exclaimed. “You said you would only give me proper training if I was able to hit you.”

Codan smiled down at me meekly. “Zanna, you more than proved yourself this morning. You deserve it.”

I nodded again and grinned, looking at them all with pride. “I’ll do my best then!”

Rye tapped a paw against a sandstone wall. It reverberated just a little. Hollow? He thought. He moved slightly to the left and tapped again. This time, a larger echo greeted him. Yes, it was hollow.

The Elekid shuffled about uncomfortably and sat down at the base of the wall. I can’t do it…He thought sullenly, I just can’t. Zanna…she…called me a friend…The Elekid shook his head as if to clear all thoughts. Why? What have I done to help her?

A voice inside him answered. You gave her advice about the PRA, warned her about Jarre, stopped a potentially dangerous Empoleon, and to top it off, you looked after her when Jarre came. All the qualities of a friend…

Rye stared at the grass below his feet and picked a blade absently. Why did I do all of those things? I don’t even know her…It’s not my job. My job…Rye’s thoughts struck a dead end. His job had landed him in enough peril already. What he was doing now wasn’t any better either. But they can’t know…and I mustn’t let them find out. A flapping sound made him look up. A flock of Starly were heading towards the west. Free as a bird, Rye thought. Why can’t I be free? He picked up a pebble and threw it across the grass. It landed a few inches from a small pool of water. Rye’s brow furrowed as he stood up.

Upon reaching the pool, he looked down at his reflection. Who am I really? The question stared back at his bright yellow face, emerald green eyes and mocking mouth. Am I doomed to follow in my father’s footsteps? For an eternity…?

Chapter 13;
    .............rye's secret

---------

The last thing Rye expected to see when he entered the Records room was Zanna. Not that he was particularly surprised to see her there. I mean, what did he think would happen when he told her about Jarre? For her to just sit by idly? No, Zanna wasn’t that sort of Pokemon, he could tell. She took action where others would just watch to see what would unfold. That was one of the reasons why he liked her. No--stop! Rye told himself again and again, but to no avail. Think of your job…what you’ve worked for. These were the thoughts that had prevailed him to seek Zanna’s record. Rye had watched her most intently. As soon as she had pressed the button on Jarre’s orb, he’d swung round the corner and backtracked his steps.

Unlike the others, Zanna’s nameplate was a pure white and engraved in gold and silver. Upon her figure’s tail was a small, white, glowing circle, exactly like the one on Zanna herself. Rye had made a mental note of it because, not only was it odd, but it was also entrancing. His eyes scanned the blue orb swirling with light that was in his palm. He hesitated as his paw passed over the first button. Family…or friends? A crossroad struck at him, but then, he always knew who he would follow. As a team-mate once said: “You are your fathers son through and through, Rye.” And he’d stuck by that.

Inhaling deeply, he pressed down on the button with a firm paw. Rye waited for the all too familiar darkness, but none came. He pressed it again. Nothing. Rye stared at the orb in frustration. Was it possible to lock an orb? Possible or not, this one obviously had been. Rye could no more see the depths of Zanna’s mind than he could evolve into a Gyarados. He sighed and put the orb back into place. This project needed to be done the hard way then. Pricking up his ears, Rye closed his eyes and expanded the spread of his mind. A faint voice came into focus a moment later, a voice he knew all too well. Commander Virok of the Wingardom Missionary.

“Lieutenant, are you there?” Virok’s voice was edgy, but Rye had expected it to be. No amount of good news could ever please his father.

“Affirmative,” Rye conveyed through telepathy. “Only, there happens to be a slight problem, Sir.”

Rye paused and it was a moment before Commander Virok answered. “What is the delay?”

“Project 105’s orb, Sir. It seems to be locked and is virtually useless to us.”

Rye had to use code. ‘Project 105’ was Zanna’s screen name back at HQ. She was referred to this at all times. The connection phased out for a second until Virok spoke.

“We will find another way to access her past. In the meantime, see if you can attach the tracer. At least we can keep track of her then.”

Rye had to bite his tongue to stop himself from saying that was exactly the point of a tracer. Instead, he replied in a calm tone, though he couldn’t disguise his irritation. “Of course, Sir. Zan--er, Project 105 will be dealt with immediately.”

Rye noticed Virok’s tone sharpen. “Did you just use the name of our target?”

Rye held his breath and bade him to leave. The Commander did not leave, however, and persisted upon knowing Rye’s relationship with her.

“We must NOT, at all costs, reveal our identities or--”

“’Converse with a target unless it is under strict authority‘, I know.”

“Then place the tracer and be done with it. I care nothing for friendship.”

The connection was lost and Rye was left with a torn feeling in his stomach. In that way, he was very different from his father. He believed in friendship above all else. Rye’s face furrowed. His thoughts were confused. His father had said to place the tracer on Zanna, but what did he want? Rye looked down at the long, white ribbon in his paws, engraved in an ancient language. The tracer was embedded within the very center of the ribbon so that no one would notice. His head pounded with frustration. There was that crossroad again…friends or family? A sudden noise struck Rye free of his thoughts. It came from the entrance; had they been caught? Rye sidled up to a shelf and peered round the corner. A red Torchic was approaching Zanna. Jarre.

Rye let off a low growl and glared as Jarre raised a talon to the defenceless Pikachu. “Don’t even think about it.”

Jarre whirled round to face him. “What are you doing in here? You shouldn’t be in here any more than she should!” He nodded in Zanna’s direction.

“And what’s your reason?” Rye retorted. “You must know enough about everyone by now.” He stopped and sneered at the Torchic, whose face remained expressionless.

“By your leave, Lieutenant, but I have business here.”

Rye hesitantly walked up to Jarre and growled. “Don’t ever mention that. I have my secrets, as you do. Which I’m sure you don’t want Zanna to know.” He stole a glance at the Pikachu’s face. It was contorted in agony and he couldn’t help but feel some sympathy towards her.

Jarre’s eyes narrowed. “I’ll keep your secret as long as you don’t mention anything about my past. It’s not for her to know, and I want to keep it that way.”

Rye s******ed. “Well you’ll have to allow this one. I’d say she’s fairly horrified.” He nodded towards Zanna who seemed to be shaking.

Jarre looked on with remorse and anger. “I didn’t choose my path…”

“But you were given it all the same,” Rye added sharply. “And if you thought about--hey!” He stopped abruptly as his eyes caught on Zanna. She seemed to be having some kind of fit. Jarre stared on with an open beak as Rye pushed past him. “Zanna?” He murmured. No response. She must be in some kind shock, he thought. Rye stood behind her and held her shoulders firmly. “Pull her out.” He said sharply.

“What?”

“Pull her out!” He repeated again. His wide eyes lingered on the helpless Pikachu as he held her steady. What had she seen? It must have been terrible to induce this…

After taking a last, scornful glance at Rye, Jarre closed his eyes and focused on Zanna. Soon the struggling became less and she was still in Rye’s arms. Her face looked so serene, though still troubled by the memory, no doubt. He couldn’t put the tracer on her…could he? Rye gently lay her down on the tiles and backed away to a safe distance. Within moments, she had begun to stir. Jarre made to step forward but Rye, instinctively sensing the movement, stuck out a paw to bar his way. Jarre glowered, but doubled back behind Rye as Zanna’s eyelids fluttered open.

Rye closed his eyes and breathed in deeply as he turned his back on Zanna. He felt surprisingly good. He hadn’t laughed like that for a long time. Or rather, no-one had made him laugh like that in a long time. A smile touched his lips as Zanna began to talk. However, she hadn’t been past the second sentence when Rye’s ears pricked up and he started. She had called him a friend. The smile was sapped from his face along with any good feeling left in him. His stomach clenched as he reached a paw within his fur and drew out the ribbon. He twisted it through his paws gently before clenching them and closing his eyes. I…can’t…He hastily pushed the ribbon back into his fur and whirled around at the sound of Zanna’s voice. “I--I’m sorry. I have to go.” The concern within Zanna’s face was exactly what he didn’t need right now. As he hurried to the door and turned the corner, the ribbon glided from within Rye’s fur, safely to the floor.

Rye tore his face away from the pool of water hastily and turned his back to it. Wounds of the past brought back bad memories, but he couldn’t escape who he was. Lieutenant Rye of the Wingardom Missionary. The thought of his job pained him more than it usually would’ve. After all, he did like his job. To save the innocent and caring, while making sure the rest got what they deserved. Rye scowled again as he remembered the lost ribbon. No doubt it had been dropped when he’d bolted from Zanna. Without the tracer, how was he to continue his work? But the thought seemed to lift a heavy burden from him. He now had no choice of what to do because he didn’t have it. He sighed once more and doubled back to the sandstone wall.

The echo sounded again as he tapped it. Rye nodded his head slowly and took a step back. A white glow surrounded his right arm, spiralling around it in a mystical manner. As soon as Rye brought it forward and struck the wall, rubble came tumbling down and left a huge cavern gaping from within. He took an anxious step over the greyish rocks and disappeared into the hole.

It swallowed him up and welcomed him like a lost son. Rye, too, was glad to be away from prying eyes. He needed his peace just as everyone else did. He surveyed the dusty cavern sharply, never missing a detail. It was large and bare, just like he’d hoped for. “Good.” Rye murmured under his breath. A training arena. He’d always liked to practice, and this was no exception. His feet seemed to glide across to the far end of the cavern.

Rye faced the center and closed his eyes, meditating for focus. He struck out an arm and dragged it across the room, before slowly bringing it back towards him. He breathed in deeply and took a step forward, each time doing more complicated moves. He was as good a physical fighter as he was in long range combat, and had spent years learning martial arts for recreation as well as for use on the battlefront. Rye narrowed his eyes, whirled round, struck out and brought a paw round for a hook shot. After about twenty minutes, he stopped in the middle, panting and with sweat on his forehead. Rye was now well relaxed and fully aware of his surroundings.

Slowly, he walked out of the cavern and back to the small pond. The cool water splashed at his face with a strange tranquillity about it. Rye took air in deep gulps until his breathing became regular again. Peering down at the crystal clear water, he smiled and then almost recoiled instantly. “Zanna!” He managed to utter, completely shocked.

The small Pikachu regarded him with unusual interest and then seemed to change tack. “I’m sorry, have I come at a bad time?”

Rye managed to calm down a bit, but instantly began to turn red. “No, not at all. I was…er…training.”

Zanna lowered her head a little and gave a slight smile. “You look refreshed at least. That’s good. But I actually came to give you back something.”

Rye approached with great curiosity as Zanna drew out a long, white ribbon. Rye flinched and his insides lurched again. Oh, no…She seemed to notice and grew concerned.

“This is yours, right? I thought you dropped it after you…left.” She held out the ribbon, but said no more on the topic, obviously downcast about the entire thing.

“I’m sorry.” Rye said in utter truth and for a moment, was shocked by just how serious his voice sounded. To cover up the incident, he quickly took the tracer from her paws. He passed it through his own, weaving it in and out and stared off into the distance absently. Should he…? Zanna, obviously uncomfortable by the awkward silence, immediately turned to leave. However, she’d only taken a few steps when Rye regained his senses and called out to her. “Wait!” As she doubled back slowly, Rye took a hesitant step forward and placed the ribbon in her paws. “I…was going to give this to you anyway,” He said brusquely in his usual tone. He folded Zanna’s paws around it gently. “Keep it, please.”

The Pikachu seemed slightly surprised by this turn of events, but didn’t turn him down. “It would be my pleasure.” She replied, smiling slowly.

Rye returned the smile. “Oh, here!” He took the ribbon from her paws and stepped round behind her. Gently and hastily, he curled it lightly around her neck and let it flow out behind her. Zanna twirled as he took a step back to admire the flowing ribbon.

“How does it look?” She asked him, raising an eyebrow.

“Beautiful.” He replied with a slight smirk on his face. He rested his emerald green eyes upon the ribbon and bade Zanna goodbye as she left. Rye returned to the cavern as he watched her go. But no red light could be seen on the ribbon. As much as he was his father’s son, he also took control of his own life. He peered down at the small, red light that flashed in his paws and grinned to himself. He now understood what friendship meant, and treachery wasn’t in the guidelines. With one, swift movement, he arched his arm and threw the tracer into the pond, watching with pride as it fizzled out and slowly sank to the bottom.

Chapter 14;
    .............kraal and marilai

---------

A blurred face appeared upon a huge monitor screen in front of Virok. The Electivire started and spun round to face it. “Sir!” he stammered, at a loss for words.

“I need that information soon, Commander,” a sharp voice cut across his thoughts.

“Yes, Sir!” Virok nodded hastily. “There has been a slight delay, but rest assured, my son will have it soon.”

The large, red face peered anxiously down at Virok. “Good, because I can’t waste any more time. Deoxys is gaining more and more followers. If this keeps up…we will have no way of defeating him.”

Virok studied the silent face and frowned, thinking. “Hmmm…I shall send Kraal and Marilai to keep an eye on the Lieutenant. I think that would be best.”

“See to it,” the voice replied firmly. “And send Rye my best regards, won’t you?”

Virok nodded with a salute as the monitor cut out. “Well, you heard him!” he cried out to the room. “Fetch Kraal and Marilai quickly, and have them set out to Likera at once!”

The large, marble building swept up beneath the two Pokemon. They bade it goodbye silently as the elevator doors slid open to let them out. Kraal lifted his head and sniffed the sky. “Rain,” he muttered to his blue companion beside him. “Rain, and a storm.”

Marilai swung her head round and raised an eyebrow. “Bad?” she questioned.

Kraal shook his head. “Only minor, but best to reach Likera before it. We will have to run like the wind though.”

Marilai sighed and stretched out her paws. “But that would be very tiring. I’m sure the Commander would not want us to rush.”

“Our main concern now is Lieutenant Rye,” Kraal reasoned. “We must see that he is looked after.”

“True,” Marilai muttered as she set out forward. “But I call the breaks.”

The Leafeon smiled and followed slowly behind her. “If it pleases you.”

Rain pelted on the huge trees overhead. “Quickly!” Kraal shouted. “There is a cavern not too far ahead!”

The Glaceon followed almost silently behind him. “A minor storm!” she panted. “That is the last time I ever trust your nose!”

Kraal chose to ignore the remark and bounded across the rocks and under the shade of a large tree. When Marilai caught up with him, he grinned and shook his fur, wetting her even more. “Oh, really!” Marilai protested. “Just take me to the cave. This is all your fault!”

Kraal pouted and made a sour face. “You chose to follow me of your own free will.”

“I chose to follow you by the Commander’s will!” she answered sharply.

But the Leafeon ignored her and set off down the path again. “It’s here.” Kraal stepped back and let Marilai enter first, as to be a gentleman.

She padded through carefully and collapsed by a nearby wall. “I’ve wasted enough energy for a whole month!” she murmured, glancing at the soaking Leafeon.

“In only a couple of hours?” Kraal teased. “Never.” He sank down beside her and when he was proficiently rested, set about making a fire.

The task proved rather arduous in the storm, as he had to go gather sticks and rocks. After about half an hour, the two dogs sat around a small fire. It wasn’t nearly enough to warm the entire cave, but enough to keep them warm for the night. “Stay close to me,” Kraal whispered to Marilai. “I can keep you warm.”

The Glaceon shuffled over and lay down beside him with her head on her paws. “Still your fault,” she murmured.

“I know,” Kraal replied. “I can’t do much right lately. Even my nose is acting up.” He bat at it with a paw in disgust.

Marilai flicked him playfully with her tail. “Oh, now. It’s not all your fault. After all, you’re not an Absol. You can’t tell the weather.”

Kraal smiled miserably and glanced at her. “Thanks.”

Marilai was about to reply, when a loud crash interrupted her. “What was that?!”

Kraal ambled to his feet and gazed at the entrance. “Stay here. I’ll go and check.”

“Wait!” she cried after him. “It could be dangerous!” But as usual, he’d already gone. “Oh, Kraal…” she murmured and shook her head gently.

The Leafeon shuffled through the dense foliage and peered out from behind a branch. What are other Pokemon doing here? He thought.

A small Taillow and an Absol happened to be passing by. “You scared them!” the Absol cried at the Taillow.

The bird brushed it’s wings hastily and sneered. “If you had just told me where we were going, but no. You’re all too important for that, aren’t you, Scythe?”

The Absol glared and turned her head. “Let’s just keep going. I don’t want to waste more time than necessary bickering with you. It’s diminishing my brain cells.” She looked at a paw and scraped it across the ground. “And I think I broke a claw…”

The Taillow rolled his eyes and shook his head wearily. “I couldn’t care less for your claws. Not while my wings are wet and I can’t fly! You’ll just have to carry me then.”

“Do I look like a Rapidash to you?!” Scythe retorted. “I’m not a common pet!”

“No,” the Taillow agreed. “You’re worse.”

Scythe ignored him and plodded on absently as he landed gently on her back.

Kraal shook his head in utter amazement. What were they doing here? What errand had Deoxys sent them on now? He hurried back to the cave to find Marilai asleep on the ground. He sighed as he sat down next to her. I’ll just have to tell her in the morning then, he thought sleepily. Kraal gave a yawn and rested his head over her back, trying to keep her warm for the harsh night to come.

Marilai was the first to wake. It wasn’t morning, but at least it had stopped raining. The small flames of the fire had died out ages ago by the looks of them. She yawned and crept out carefully from underneath Kraal’s warm fur. Judging by the position of the moon, it was just after three. Marilai made her way out of the cave and wandered into the forest.

The air was warming up considerably for so early a morning. Perhaps it will be nice today, she smiled. She hadn’t gone further than a few metres when she found a huge tree barring her way. This is what must have fallen down last night. She jumped lightly to the top and rested herself gently against the bark. A few Paras climbed out to greet her and she smiled, gazing around happily. Everything always looked so calm after a storm. “It’s a wonder with all these trees and branches laying about.” she said anxiously. A snap sounded behind her and she pricked up her ears. Another Pokemon? Marilai jumped down from the fallen log and padded around the sodden leaves.

A small Pidgey started as she came into a clearing. “Wait! It’s okay, I won’t hurt you,” Marilai said gently. “What happened here?”

“Get away!” the Pidgey shrieked, “It’s not safe! Not with them around. Flee for your life if you have any sense!”

Marilai took a cautious step back, taken by surprise from the agitated Pidgey. It panted and hopped from foot-to-foot, cradling what seemed to be a broken wing. It’s feathers were torn and cuts were open in several places. “Who did this to you?” the Glaceon prodded gently.

“Who?!” the Pidgey crowed. “Who?! Why, them! The servants of Deoxys!”

Marilai’s eyes widened. Followers of Deoxys? Here? “Let me help you,” she said to the fretful Pokemon. “Come with me. I--”

“No, I can’t be helped now,” The small bird cut her off and gestured to it’s wing. “I can’t even fly. Look at me! Torn and bruised…is there no salvation?!”

Marilai raised an eyebrow. Clearly, she was offering salvation. “Go,” the Pidgey tried to shoo her away with it’s uninjured wing. “Flee this place. Before they come back.”

“Now listen here!” Marilai snapped. “You’re coming with me and I will help you!”

The Pidgey tried to argue, but Marilai seemed resigned. Eventually, it gave up the argument and followed by foot. “And I won’t hear of you leaving until you’re better.” Marilai concluded.

The Pidgey gave a meek smile. “Many thanks, my friend! I am Quoll, of the Forest tribe. We live here in these parts. Or, we used to, before they came and chased us out!” Quoll raised her wing and squawked in terror. “Now we have no home!”

The Glaceon gave a small smile in return. “Calm down, Quoll. Well met, and I am Marilai of Wingardom City. I will help you.”

“Wingardom City?” Quoll asked. “The Marble City?”

“The very same.” Marilai nodded.

“Many thanks!” Quoll repeated again. “I just knew you were special.”

Marilai merely nodded again and told Quoll to follow her back to the cave. The Pidgey set off with no argument this time and a determined expression upon her face, which instantly failed when a loud crash sounded. “Wah! What was that?!” she squawked in despair. “We are doomed!”

“Calm down, Quoll! I’m sure it was nothing.” But as she turned to go, her fears were confirmed.

“No, I’d pretty much say the bird’s right.”

A malicious smile erupted from a Taillow in front and, behind him, a pure black Absol. Quoll cowered behind Marilai and shrunk to the size of a large berry. “You--you work for Deoxys!” Marilai stammered.

“Well, she knows something,” the Taillow commented. “Scythe, why don’t we give her a prize?”

The Absol glanced down at the Glaceon, obviously unimpressed and bored. “She’s kind of scrawny, Raze…”

“Oh, come now,” Raze replied in a sweetly false voice. He peered down at the two small Pokemon. “Now, sweethearts, you have two options. We have option A, which we used on our little Pidgey friend here,”--he jabbed a wing at Quoll who, if possible, shrank even smaller--“Or, we have option B, which is yet to be tested.”

Marilai took a step back and motioned silently to the Pidgey, who moved it’s head a fraction to the side. “We--we choose…option C!” she shouted. “RUN!”

She turned round and bolted, with Quoll holding onto her tightly with her talons. Marilai didn’t look back as she heard Raze curse, she just kept running for her and Quoll’s life. She bounded over a log and across the rocks in a stream, only to be confronted by the Absol, Scythe, who skidded to a halt in front of them. “How?!”

Scythe let out what Marilai supposed was a laugh, but it came out more as a cackle, which actually suited her better. “I’m not an Absol for nothing, you know,” she smiled maliciously. “The disaster Pokemon…I don’t just sense them, I create them!”

She lunged forward and went to catch the Glaceon in her jaws, but missed as she leapt agilely out of the way. She ran along the path again and decided to turn round and cut back to the cave. The entrance would be too small for Scythe, and Raze wouldn’t win in a fight against both her and Kraal alone. She jumped onto the side of a tree and kicked off, flying over the head of the pursuing Absol. But Marilai miscalculated the jump and caught her paw on a rock when she landed, causing both her and Quoll to tumble across the forest floor, only to stop a metre away from Raze’s talons.

“Look,” he said in a surprised tone. “Fast food.” Scythe bounded in front and stopped beside Raze. “Give you a run for your Poke, eh, Scythe?” He twittered in laughter and only stopped when she glared at him.

“Teach you to mess with me, brats!” Scythe’s eyes blazed a fiery red.

Marilai stepped protectively in front of Quoll. “Leave us alone! You don’t have any right being here!”

“It’s a free world,” Raze snapped. “Lucky for you.”

Scythe made no comment and bore down upon her. “Hear your petty screams as you cower within my jaws!”

And this time, Marilai wasn’t quick enough. Scythe’s jaws closed around her body and tore through her flesh. Marilai let out a blood curdling yelp.

“Hear her scream!” Raze shouted in triumph.

Quoll shrank as she stared up at the crushed Glaceon in terror. Marilai felt blood ooze from the deep holes within her fur and her ears drooped. She was nowhere near strong enough to escape. Quoll could do little in her injured state, and Kraal was back at the cave. Scythe gave another squeeze and Marilai screamed again as she felt the fangs drive further within her. Kraal…

The Glaceon’s screams seemed to echo throughout the cave in which Kraal was sleeping. He woke with a start and jumped up. “Marilai!”

He ran as fast as his paws would carry him to the place where the scream had emanated from. He skidded to a halt as his eyes gazed at an unfamiliar scene. A small Pidgey cowered on the ground next to a watchful Taillow and a black Absol. As his eyes moved further up, he spotted Marilai. Kraal’s eyes seemed to spark and he let off a low growl.

Within seconds, he had batted the Taillow aside and set about wrestling Marilai from the Absol’s jaws. He dug his claws into it’s face as the Absol swung them both around in midair. It wasn’t giving up without a fight. Kraal scrambled to grab hold of the Absol and when he had, raised a paw and swiped it across it’s face. It reeled back and howled, dropping them both to the forest floor. Marilai landed next to Kraal, but she seemed barely conscious. Kraal backed away as the two Pokemon seemed to regain their senses. What would happen to them?

“Kraal…” A weak cry reached him through the air. He turned his head slightly to the side to see Marilai standing weakly with several deep wounds in her back and stomach. “You came…”

“I heard you scream,” he said gently, “Not even a blizzard would have kept me from you.”

Marilai smiled at him weakly. “What should we do?”

The Leafeon looked at their two pursuers and thought. “Can you run?”

She nodded, but turned to look at the Pidgey. “I can’t leave her. She needs help.”

Kraal growled and narrowed his eyes. “We’ll have to fight our way out then. Are you sure you’re strong enough?”

Marilai looked first at Quoll, then turned her icy head to Kraal. “I can do it if need be, and I have you. We can help Quoll together.”

Kraal gathered that ‘Quoll’ was the name of the Pidgey. He nodded slowly and turned to face Deoxys’ followers. “If you want us, you’ll have to take us by force!”

Raze snorted from Scythe’s back. He flew down and landed gently in front of Kraal. “Why do they always make it so easy?”

Marilai growled and blew the Taillow a few inches back from her snort. The four Pokemon eyed each other across a span of barely five metres. The two dogs stepped protectively in front of Quoll, who, at Marilai’s signal, backed away to the nearest tree. Scythe and Raze glared. “A battle to the death, then?” Kraal’s own voice sounded steely.

Raze inclined his head slowly without removing his eyes from either Pokemon. “Fine,” Kraal lowered his stance and saw Marilai do the same. “So be it.”

Chapter 15;
    .............surrender your life

---------

Kraal’s teeth glistened in the morning light and a low growl escaped his lips. He stared, unblinking, at Raze and Scythe. He could tell that Marilai was much the same, but she wouldn’t be able to hold out forever. The deep wounds on her back and stomach drew her energy, he could tell. The sharp pang of her breathing trickled through his ears, almost like she had a death wish. Kraal instantly winced. Don’t think like that…she’ll be okay…we’re a team. He stole a furtive glance at the Glaceon who turned and smiled meekly.

“What are you waiting for, mince meat? Got your leaf tied in a knot?”

Kraal growled again. It was the Taillow who had addressed him. That bird certainly had a foul beak. “Female’s first.” he retorted.

Surprise flitted across Raze’s face before slowly transforming into anger. “Scythe! Get the brats!”

“With pleasure.” Scythe’s voice was low and menacing. Her eyes glistened madly at the two dogs in front of her. It was as though she was barely a Pokemon anymore, like she was…something else.

The onyx Absol leapt deftly towards Kraal who dodged and stood protectively in front of Marilai. But she didn’t wait to regather her energy. She bounded after the Leafeon and grazed his tail with her jaws. Kraal let off a small yelp. Scythe growled menacingly again. Kraal barely looked up in time to dodge her next attack.

“Kraal!” Marilai’s cry drifted over to him.

He looked over to see Raze beating down on the poor Glaceon. “I’m coming, hold on-Arrggh!”

Scythe’s paw connected with the side of his head and sent him reeling. Stars dancing in front of his face, Kraal eyed the Absol cautiously, waiting for the next attack. Two seconds passed, three…nothing.

As his vision cleared, Kraal was able to see her face clearly for the first time. Her eyes, which had always been a bright, ruby red, were now completely black; whites and all. The Leafeon jumped, startled. What was wrong with her? Slowly, he noticed that everything about her was beginning to darken. Her fur, nose, tail and everything, until she was a dark grey all over. Kraal backed away slowly and bumped into Raze.

“Hey, mince meat! Back off, or I’ll…” But the bird stopped dead as he saw what Kraal did.

Marilai looked up at Kraal. “What is it? Why have we stopped?” But as her eyes caught on the Absol, she let out a small gasp and shrank back.

Kraal turned his burning head slightly towards Raze. “What’s wrong with her, bird?!”

Raze stared back, almost hypnotised, as if not even realising that Kraal had insulted him. “Turn…and run.” he said slowly.

Kraal looked startled. “What? Why?”

Raze just shook his head as he backed away. “Nothing can stop her…when she gets like this.” The Taillow then spread his wings and sped off from the ground, leaving a small cloud of dust in his wake.

“But what is she?!” Kraal called after him. But either Raze was too far, or he didn’t want to answer. He sighed roughly, but it caught in his throat as Marilai spoke.

“Um…Kraal?” The Glaceon nudged her head gently towards the Absol.

“Ahh!” His mouth dropped as he took a few more steps back. “You know what the bird said?” Kraal murmured absentmindedly. Marilai nodded as she followed Kraal hastily. “Well, I’m starting to think he’s not that stupid after all.” As his paws crunched a twig, the Absol seemed to snap out of her reverie. “RUN!” he shrieked towards her.

At the exact instant that Marilai turned, Scythe let out a high pitched scream. Not just any normal scream either, this one sounded as though it came from a demon. The two dogs had to stop in their tracks and cover their fragile ears with shaking paws. Kraal gritted his teeth so hard that they hurt. I’m not going to die…I’m not going to die…but no matter how hard he tried, the piercing wail echoed through his thoughts, causing complete and utter despair. What’s happened to me? He thought slowly, suddenly dazed. Why do I feel so weak? He looked down at his paws in double vision, as they swam before his eyes. He managed to turn his head slightly so that Marilai was in view. The poor Glaceon looked exactly as he did, and the wounds wouldn’t be helping. Suddenly, a new voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Kraal...can you hear me?”

The Leafeon looked around dazedly before realising that the voice had been in his head. “Lieutenant?”

The sigh on the other end confirmed his thoughts. “How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Rye.”

“Rye…” Kraal sent back, “Something is wrong. I…we…feel weak. Scythe has turned.” A sharp intake of breath came from the other end. “You know about this, Lieutenant?”

Rye must have been thinking hard, because he didn’t pick up on the ‘lieutenant’ part.
    “It wasn’t meant to be for years…” A low voice came across. “We were told…she was safe…”

Kraal struggled to take this in and keep from fainting at the same time. “The bird, Raze, he sounded like he knew Scythe did this a lot. Could it have happened before?”

Silence surrounded him for quite some time, then, the faintest whisper. “Mass murders in Hark Town…could it really be…?”

Kraal listened intently. Clearly, the Lieutenant knew more than he was letting on. “Rye…what should we do?”

The reply was immediate and alert. “If you can, escape. I’m coming, do nothing rash. May Arceus be with you.”

The signal cut off and Kraal was where he began; straining to stay awake above the noise. But it was beginning to get harder. Kraal felt like a heavy weight was upon him. It’s like no attack I’ve ever heard of…like something…dark.

Suddenly, Marilai’s voice drifted out of the din. “Fight it…Kraal…”

He turned his head slightly to see her teeth gritted, face strained in an effort to keep self control. “What is it?” His own, weak voice came as a surprise to him, but evidently not for Marilai.

“It’s like a leer attack,” she replied slowly, “Only much stronger. Amplified over ten times, I’d guess.”

“So, our defences are down…” Kraal concluded. Then his stomach lurched. There couldn’t be a good reason for Scythe to do that, nothing that involved them escaping harm, anyway.

As if the Absol was reading his thoughts, she spun around and eyed them icily. The high pitched scream had stopped, but left the two dogs struggling for air. “Little dogs…such cowards and all so innocent…” The manic voice trailed off.

That definitely isn’t Scythe, Kraal thought. Her voice is so demonic and rings with evil…now even more so.

The Absol’s black eyes caught his gaze again. They gleamed in the approaching dawn, though they were still as dark as midnight. Scythe began to saunter up to them, baring her claws as she let off a low growl. Kraal backed away and flinched when his tail hit a tree. Left with nowhere to go, he could do nothing but cower and await their impending doom.

“Stop this!”

Kraal managed to open his eyes, which he had closed in all the panic. “Marilai, no!” he hissed, but she seemed not to hear.

“Get away from us this instant! What do you want?!” Marilai stood firm in front of Kraal, glaring at the large black mass ahead of them.

Scythe looked slightly taken aback. “What do I want? I want this world to belong to my master,” she purred serenely. “Is that so hard?”

Marilai scowled. “Deoxys will never claim this world, or anyone else’s! Not as long as we all stand together and fight!”

The Absol let off a soft chuckle. “My, my, you’re ambitious, aren’t you? But that shall never work. Already your armies are coming apart at the seams. You cannot defend yourselves forever. Sooner or later, you’ll slip, and when that happens…” She trailed off as a wicked grin spread across her face.

“NEVER!” Marilai cried.

Without waiting for an opening, she lunged viciously towards Scythe and was instantly batted away like a rag doll.

“Marilai!” Kraal’s choked scream rang feebly through the air. The Glaceon fell to the ground and her head slumped. “Don’t even think about touching her.” Kraal took a battle stance and let out a deep, rumbling growl that filled the entire forest.

Scythe started in surprise, obviously taken aback by the large sound that came from such a small creature. “You want to fight? Small, helpless-arrggh!”

A sharp leaf smacked the Absol cold in the cheek.

“Come here and say that.” Kraal hissed in a menacing tone.

“Grrrr!” Scythe swiped at the Leafeon who dodged and countered with another razor leaf. She bounded out of the way just in time to see the leaves stick fast within a tree trunk. “Is that the best you can do?” she teased, “Try harder!”

Kraal’s eyes glowed red as he growled angrily. His tail and ears perked up and serrated claws protruded from his paws. “Feel the earth, tremble before the mighty winds, and know the wrath of leaf storm!” The Leafeon stood low and allowed the sunlight to consume his body. As it pierced through the trees, Kraal seemed to catch on fire and glow in a light so intense, that Scythe had to look away. His now white eyes flashed through the midst of swirling leaves and glared, glared with hatred and scorn at its enemy. Kraal was now protected by a barricade of leaves and bracken from the surrounding forest; an impenetrable fortress.

Scythe began to lose colour almost instantly. The darkness faded until she was normal again. Well, still black, but less demonic. The Absol glanced around nervously as she staggered on her feet. “Where…where am I?”

Her tone now held fear, but Kraal didn’t sense it. All his fury was unleashed in a single cry as the leaves exploded outwards and sliced through the Absol, leaving wide, deep gashes upon her. Scythe’s scream echoed and then stopped abruptly as she collapsed on the ground, battered, torn, and bleeding profusely.

At that moment, Kraal snapped out of his daze. He had no eyes for the dying Absol, only for the injured Glaceon still unconscious on the ground. Kraal ran over to her and nudged her gently with a paw. “Marilai?” His voice came out in a soft whimper and he jumped as a figure emerged silently from behind the bushes. Kraal looked up and gasped. “Lieutenant!”

Rye cut off the signal brusquely and turned to a Manectric beside him. “Can you carry me?”

“Of course,” It almost sounded offended, Rye thought. The Manectric lowered itself so Rye could climb onto it. Without a seconds delay, it dashed off towards the outskirts of Likera. “Where are we going, anyway?”

Rye listened to the soft thump of its paws before answering. “I need you to take me as fast as you can to Obose Woods. There’s trouble.” And too much trouble that I can’t possibly handle…

“Obose Woods?” the Manectric muttered. “A storm hit there last night, it could be messy. Are you sure you want to go?”

Rye just nodded. The Manectric held no interest for him anymore. His mind was now full of what Kraal had said.

“Scythe has turned…”

He scowled and repeated his own words to himself. “We were told she was safe…” And my father had promised…could he break it so easily? Or is something else the cause of this? So many questions had to be answered. The sooner he got there, the faster he could pump them out of Scythe.

“Faster,” Rye said to the Manetric. “It’s important.”

“Faster?” He raised an eyebrow. “Do you have any idea how heavy you are?” When Rye didn’t answer, it sighed. “Fine, if you insist. The storm clouds are still rumbling. I’ll use their energy to boost my speed.” The Manectric closed its eyes briefly and released its senses to perform agility. As soon as that was accomplished, it called on the storm clouds for strength. A bolt of lightning hit the Manectric and shocked Rye, too. But it was no more than a tickle to the Elekid.

Mixing the power of lightning with the agility, the Manectric’s paws moved more rapidly, until the scenery was no more than a single, continued blur.

Rye smiled. That was more like it.

A deafening crash sounded just metres from where they stood. “What was that?” Rye said instinctively.

“I have no idea, and I don’t want to be held in the crossfire. Good day to you.”

“Peace be with you.” Rye answered.

The Manectric nodded and turned swiftly, racing away across the plain.

Rye breathed in deeply and cautiously parted the bushes, stepping out from behind a tree. The scene he saw was not like he’d imagined.

“Lieutenant!” Kraal’s weak cry reached him. He was gazing up in surprise, but also flicked his eyes back to the unconscious Glaceon. Marilai.

“What happened to her?” Rye instantly knelt down to feel the Glaceon’s forehead. “She’s running a fever,” he said, eyeing the puncture wounds across her body. “We’ll have to take her back to the PRA.”

Kraal looked up quizzically. “Why there? The Missionary would be better for this, and I’m sure—,” But Kraal stopped as Rye picked Marilai up effortlessly and cradled her within his arms.

“The Missionary is what I don’t need right now. You can either come with me, or go back.”

Kraal was pondering his answer when a small shriek reached them.

“Wait! Don’t leave me!” A battered Pidgey came up anxiously behind Kraal.

Rye raised an eyebrow in surprise. “And who is this?”

“This is Quoll,” Kraal answered, eyeing the Pidgey with a slight smile. “She was also a victim of Scythe and Raze’s attack.”

The Elekid jumped as Kraal mentioned the two Pokemon. He glanced around anxiously. A black mass lay on the ground, unmoving. That must be Scythe, but where…? “Where is Raze?” Rye asked with uncertainty.

“He flew off when Scythe turned,” Kraal replied. “And good reason too. She is not to be messed around with…hey! What—?”

Rye strode over to the Absol and placed Marilai gently on the ground, feeling the disaster Pokemon’s forehead. He frowned and pressed his head against her chest. “She’s dying…” he murmured, “What have you done?”

“What??!!” Kraal cried. “What do you mean?! She was trying to kill us! Kill us, Rye! Doesn’t that make any sense to you?”

Evidently, it didn’t. The Elekid shook his head, pondering. “She must be kept alive, if we are to find out…” he trailed off as he became aware of the Leafeon and Pidgey listening to him.

“If what?” Kraal asked. “So she can try to kill us again?!”

Rye shook his head. “No, I just…I need you to trust me.” His voice was firm now.
    It was no statement, Kraal realised, but an order, and he was bound to follow.

He sighed. “So what do we do with her?”

“I’ll send out a distress signal. Someone will come soon enough.” She’s far too important, to jeopardise the mission…Rye closed his eyes and sent out a call with his mind. “There. Let’s go.” He scooped up Marilai again and made for the trees, Kraal and Quoll following behind.

“I still don’t see why we have to go to the PRA,” Kraal tried to reason; “It’s farther away, too.”

Rye smiled slightly. “I have business there, you know that.”

“You’ve only been asked to track the target and find out about her past. Surely, if you’ve placed the tracer, we can go back to the Missionary and do it from there?”

Rye heaved Marilai close to him to hide the expression on his face. They mustn’t find out what I did to the tracer…”I still have business,” Rye repeated firmly, “Come, or stay.”

Kraal paused and then sighed, giving in. “Fine, but we’re doing this with you now.”

“Fine.” Rye answered stiffly, trying to hide his irritation. That was just what he needed. His team-mates keeping tabs on his whereabouts as well as Zanna’s. Rye smiled again. He simply refused to think of Zanna as a target, not now that they were friends. But how was he to hide this?

They’ll find out after a while, Rye thought, but I am intrigued about her past. Maybe that will sustain me enough to keep the project going. But as they moved more quickly, Rye couldn’t help the creeping, clenching feeling that formed within his chest. He couldn’t help but feel that it was wrong.

Chapter 16;
    .............plans revealed

---------

Rye’s sudden change had me very confused; one minute to act all cool and distant, and the next, so friendly. Not that I minded of course. The ribbon he’d given me was almost perfect. But that wasn’t the only thing that was in my head. The incident with Jarre still brought anger and guilt to my face. Since then, he’d stopped talking to me altogether, unless I asked him a specific question. It was as if he was almost going out of his way just to avoid me.

Codan noticed something was up too. Our first day of training didn’t go as well as it should have. I was focusing very little, and caused myself to trip over several times and break one of the vases at the edge of the room. At that point we called it quits. He said it’d be best if we left it until tomorrow. I was in no position to argue, and besides, I didn’t want to. That was just what I needed; some peace and time to myself for brooding. But I needed to talk to someone; maybe that would help.

When I asked Codan where Lani was, he told me that she’d gone over to Polo and Misha’s parents’ house to discuss important business. I’d frowned then. What business could possibly be so important that she had to go herself? Maybe it was standard rescue procedure or something. But either way, Lani was out of the question. I couldn’t go to Codan; I had a feeling he was still upset from the last time we’d talked. That only left one Pokemon: Rye.

I had to search for him myself, because no one seemed to know where he was. I even had the courage to ask Jarre. But he said he didn’t know either and just frowned at me, as if he could see something that I couldn’t.

It was nearing dusk now and I’d spent all day doing nothing. Jarre had taken his training test and passed. He ended up hitting Codan slightly on the tail, which was more than I was able to do at least. I did go to watch, but stood at the very back, hiding amongst some ferns. There had been some really close calls on both ends, so I guess you could say it was a good match. All I felt at the end, though, was sourness. Because he’d hit Codan and I didn’t. What really annoyed me though was that I’d been weak enough to almost faint during our own match.

I had shaken the thought and left as soon as I could, though I’m sure Jarre saw me on the way out. By then I didn’t really care anyway. I knew I needed to make things right with him, to be a team again, but how was that possible? What in the name of Arceus could you possibly do when you found out that your best friend used to be a murderer? Oh, yay! Let’s sit around a campfire and be happy! Pffft. Like that would work. I already felt as sour as a Belue berry, and my instincts told me that was pretty sour.

I hit the ground with a paw and let a frown consume my face. I’d looked for hours on end, but Rye was nowhere to be found. It was like he’d gone from the PRA entirely. I wouldn’t actually be surprised if he happened to do that. He seemed more like an independent Pokemon; as though he usually did everything by himself. But working alone wasn’t always a good thing. If it hadn’t been for Jarre, I’d be squished flat underneath one of the Aggron’s feet. I shuddered just thinking about it. But then it made me realise something. Jarre had saved me. No matter how bad he’d acted in his past life, he obviously came here to start anew. He wanted friends, a happy place to stay and…good Pokemon. And right now, I didn’t feel much like one.

I sighed and put my face in my paws. So, of course, I didn’t see a shadow approaching, and I didn’t bother to notice any footsteps. So when a paw was placed gently on my shoulder, I jumped a mile high.

“I’m sorry,” said a low voice, “Did I startle you?”

I smiled at Rye’s words. “Startle would be an understatement.” I replied, still grinning. This brought a slight smile to his face also. “Where were you today?” I asked, “I’ve been all over looking for you.”

“I know,” he answered simply. “I was out for a bit today and when I came back, a little birdy told me that you wanted to see me.”

I frowned. “Who told you?”

Rye smiled. “Literally a little birdy. Jarre told me.”

“Jarre?” I didn’t try to hide the surprise that flitted across my face. “I thought he’d hate me by now.” I could have sworn Rye almost chuckled.

“You’re very naïve, Zanna.”

I frowned again. “Why do you say that?”

He looked at me with an expression of amusement. “Just because you have a little fight with someone, doesn’t mean they’re going to hate you. I thought you, of all Pokemon, would realise that.”

“It didn’t cross my mind.” I murmured, still standing up from when Rye made me jump.

He glanced at me with brief concern. “Why don’t you sit down? Then you can tell me all about it.”

I obeyed his words and sat down on the ground with my back to the cavern wall. I’d been waiting where I’d seen Rye training. “Aren’t you going to sit?” I asked quizzically.

He let out a soft sigh. “If you insist.” He made a swift movement and sat down opposite me, crossing his legs. “Alright. Enlighten me.” My brow creased again. How could this possibly be enlightening? “Something wrong?” Rye had his head cocked to one side and was waiting patiently.

“No,” I started. “Alright. I’m at a loss with Jarre. I think…I know I want to make things right, but I don’t know how. I swear he’s avoiding me, and with the prospect of us being a team,”—here I sighed—,”I don’t know what to think anymore…” I trailed off to let Rye think for a moment.

“Hmmm.” That was the only sound to come out of the silence.

“’Hmmm?’” I questioned. “’Hmmm’ what? I swear you’re even more frustrating than Jarre at times.” I looked up to see Rye staring at me. It was an awkward stare. Not just an ‘I’m curious’ stare, but…something else.

“I thought the choice would have been obvious.” Rye replied, as though it really was obvious and I was just stupid.

“Obvious?! Would I have come to you if I’d thought it was obvious?!” I raised my paws and gestured wildly, obviously amusing Rye even more, who raised an eyebrow and continued staring.

“I’m sorry, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt,” he explained. As if that was supposed to make it clearer! “What I’m suggesting, is that you just go and talk to him.”

I sighed. “Yeah, like that would work. Did I forget to mention he’s avoiding me?” I didn’t bother to disguise the sarcasm in my voice.

Rye cracked a smile. “You might have. But I think if you just ask him to talk to you, like you’ve done to me, he’d be willing enough to oblige. After all, he hasn’t been ignoring you completely.”

“What do you mean?” I asked with astonishment. “I haven’t seen him around at all.”

“No,” Rye answered, “Of course you haven’t seen him.”

My eyes widened as I realised what Rye was getting at. “He was still keeping an eye on me…through disguise!”

Rye nodded, impressed that I’d gotten it at last. “And if you’d actually been concentrating in your training,” he continued, “You probably would have noticed him.”

I suddenly grimaced. “Oh, you heard about that?” But I was surprised when he shook his head.

“No. Codan allowed me to watch.”

“You WHAT?!” I jumped up in amazement. “Alright, apart from it being my training, how did you come without me noticing?!”

Rye grinned at me. “The same as how Jarre was able to follow you without you noticing.”

I shook my head. I was absolutely fuming! My training! That was supposed to be between me and Codan only.

“You’re mad,” Rye observed. “Didn’t you want me to come?”

“No, no it’s fine,” I sighed. “I just wish I’d known.”

He paused to consider this. “Well how about next time I tell you. Would that be better?”

“Much.” I replied. But I wasn’t concentrating on his words much anymore. I’d just realised how light I was suddenly feeling. As if a whole load had been lifted off of me from the tiny solution Rye had offered. I smiled as I turned to him. “Thanks.” He stood up and eyed me curiously. “What?”

He took a moment to answer. “You’re very easy to please.”

This surprised me. “What? Why?”

Rye smiled lightly again. “Don’t you see, Zanna? I haven’t done anything. All I did was help you realise something. Your conclusion, the airiness you’re feeling now, that was all because of you.”

Somehow, as he said it, I knew his words made sense. And he was right. “Well, I for one am glad to have had this talk.” I offered my paw. “Thanks again.”

He took it and squeezed it gently. “No worries. I was happy to help. After all, we’re friends, right?”

I nodded and grinned. “Absolutely.”

Rye let go of my paw and turned away. “See you next training practice, Zanna!”

I laughed. “Sure, but only if you come where I can see you!” I called after him. I barely caught his reply as he turned around the corner to return to the PRA.

“It’s a promise.”

I smiled and skipped off happily to find Jarre. But as I was passing the arena where I’d seen Rye battling, a voice drifted towards me. It was a rough, oddly familiar voice. I pressed myself to the side of the archway and peered around the corner. Balian stood at the center of the arena, apparently talking to…himself? Then my mind snapped. It was telepathy!

Though I’d never tried it, Jarre had once told me that all Pokemon were connected as one. So, naturally, all Pokemon could communicate with one another telepathically. He’d told me, though, that it was mostly for emergencies, and to bother someone unnecessarily like that was considered rude and was banned in some places. The PRA was one of them, with the exception of the Elites and sometimes, the trainers.

The other technique Jarre had told me was called a mind block. It was where you would block your mind from others, and they could do the same. This process was used in training. But because I didn’t know how to do it yet, Codan had to do it for me. It was mainly so that we didn’t cheat, but also to make sure no one got into trouble because of the ban. It was easy, sometimes, to let your mind slip. So, if Balian was using telepathy, who was he talking to?

I edged closer to the archway and felt stone dig uncomfortably into my back. I could now catch some of what he was saying. “No, not now…I don’t know when.” He paused to listen to the other voice as he paced the room. “I’ve been trying, but I don’t know how to get her on her own…I know. That Pikachu is surrounded by goodwill. Everyone seems to want to help her.” The steel penguin paused again and raised a fin to the back wall, thinking hard about something.

“Alright, fine! You’ll hear from me soon. Don’t mention anything to Raze and Scythe, I don’t want them here,” His face furrowed in thought. “What do you mean they’re coming already?! We had a deal! No, I don’t know and I haven’t heard anything.” Balian sighed and rubbed his forehead slowly. Obviously, something was stressing him out. “Fine, but if I have to look for them, I want a promotion…ALRIGHT!”

The telepathy must have ended after Balian’s shout, because he started to walk towards me. I hastily edged along the archway and when I reached the end, bolted down the hall on all fours, racing to find someone; anyone. I couldn’t believe what I’d just heard! Balian was after me! I had to warn someone; I thought that I’d be safe here. I don’t know why, but I suddenly had a sense of déjà vu. Surely, that couldn’t be good. As I rounded the next corner, I hit something and was sent sprawling across the floor. I hit my head hard on the ground and groaned.

“Zanna?”

I got up weakly. I’d know that voice anywhere. “Jarre…” I murmured.

He took one look at my face and frowned, concern flitting across his features. “Zanna, what on earth-”

But I didn’t let him finish. My ears picked up nearby footsteps, and I knew who they belonged to. “Quick!” I ordered, grabbing one of Jarre’s wings and pulling him along with me. “In here.” I shoved him maybe a little too harshly into an alcove further down the hall. Once I’d made sure we were both sufficiently far enough back, Jarre rounded on me.

“Zanna! Tell me what is going on this instant!”

“Shhh!” I pressed a paw over his beak and harder still when he protested. As the footsteps came closer, Jarre stopped squabbling enough so that it was safe to remove my paw. I held my breath as Balian walked past us and pressed myself as close to the stone wall as possible. As soon as he was out of sight, Jarre started up again.

“Tell me what’s wrong! You look so…scared.” I had no idea what my face looked like, but if the pounding in my chest was anything to go by, it couldn’t be good.

I sighed and slid down the wall to the ground, where I sat cautiously. “I’m so sorry, Jarre. Your past…it wasn’t totally your fault, I see that now.” I stopped to glance up at him and was once again surprised to see him smiling.

“Finally come to your senses, have you?”

I grinned back. “Something like that. I had help though.”

“Oh?” he raised an eyebrow but didn’t ask.

“What I’m trying to say, is that I’m sorry. What matters is who you are now. Not that I think I’ll ever get over you being a murderer.” Jarre scowled and scraped a talon across the floor. “But that’s not what I wanted to say,” I quickly amended, “It’s more serious and…harrowing?” I was trying to find the right word.

“Well?” Jarre said impatiently. “I’m not getting any younger.”

The irritated look on his face made me laugh. “Okay,” I began, licking the sides of my mouth with my tongue. “What if I told you…that I was being hunted?”

Chapter 17;
    .............tracking

---------

“That’s ridiculous,” Jarre scoffed, “Why would Balian be after you?”

I turned around and glanced at him. “I don’t know! Do I look like an oracle?!” I pulled at my fur desperately. I knew I needed to get somewhere safe soon, before I lost my mind.

“Alright! Calm down! It’s okay, we can figure this out,” he sighed, turning to me slowly. “Who else knows about this?”

I slumped against the wall and buried my face in my paws. “No one. You’re the only one I’ve told.”

Jarre seemed to be pondering. He paced in front of me, the softest click clacking sound coming from his talons scraping the tiles. “Well, then we need to tell someone who can help us.”

I raised an eyebrow sceptically and looked at him. “Yeah, and I could’ve figured that out.”

“Look, just work with me here Zanna.” Jarre had stopped pacing now, and his face looked fretful. If anything, he seemed to be more worried about me than I was. He sighed. “Urrghh…I’m sorry. I just don’t want anyone getting hurt, least of all, my best friend.”

A small smile lit up on my face. “Okay then. So who do we tell?”

The Torchic raised a wing to his chin, thinking. “Well, who knows Balian better than his own team?”

I jumped up. “Codan?!”

A grin spread across Jarre’s face. “The very same.”

Great! My mind was now racing a mile an hour. If we got Codan on our side, and Balian really was trying to capture me, we could have a huge advantage! But wait…”Oh, no.”

Jarre glanced at me quizzically. “What is it?”

Concern shaded my face. “Codan, Lani and Balian are a team. The news would destroy them. What would happen then?”

“Oh…” Jarre seemed to have finally caught on. “There isn’t much we can do, Zanna. If he really is after you, we need all the help we can get.” I slumped down to the floor again in utter despair. This was turning out to be a great night.

At that moment, loud footsteps seemed to approach us. Jarre and I huddled close in the alcove, afraid it might be Balian, but the face that appeared around the corner was more than welcoming. “Codan! What a pleasant—“

“Shhh!” he raised a claw to his snout and gestured towards us. “Come here. I need to talk to you.”

I exchanged a confused look with Jarre before following Codan out into the hall. Once Jarre had joined us, the Dragonite’s face turned anxious. “Codan, what’s wrong?” My voice wasn’t exactly comforting right now. It came out more as an encouraging squeak. Jarre tapped me with a wing in an attempt to calm me down.

“I…I need you to come to the hospital wing,” he managed to choke out.

I gasped and turned to the now stricken Torchic, then back to Codan. “What? Why? What’s happened?”

Codan took deep breath before answering, as if he was biding his time before he had to say the inevitable news. He glanced at both of us briefly before letting out a small puff of smoke. “It’s Lani.” Horror seemed to latch itself onto my face. These were the last words I wanted to hear.

Rye paced on the cool tiles, pondering quietly to himself. So many questions…such little time. He buried his face fretfully within his paws, gritting his teeth. Why now? When he was going so well…it was a nightmare!

“If you do that just one more time, I’m seriously going to hit you. Or at least call in a nurse.” Kraal was less than ecstatic about the Elekid’s behaviour.

Rye barely gave him a glance before continuing. “Scythe has turned…do you know what this means?”

But Kraal didn’t answer. It was more of a rhetorical question anyway. The Elekid seemed to be more absorbed in his own mind than that of reality. The Leafeon sighed and turned his head towards Marilai. “How are you feeling?”

The Glaceon smiled and brushed him playfully with her tail. “Much better. Can I go now? Hospitals give me the creeps.” She scowled and buried her head back under the blanket.

“No,” Kraal laughed. “We can’t go yet. Not until you’re fully recovered.”

“But I am! Honestly!”

The Leafeon raised an eyebrow. “Oh, really? Alright then, stand up.”

Marilai frowned, but obeyed anyway. She hadn’t risen more than a few inches, however, when she collapsed back on the bed, panting. “I, I can’t.”

Kraal shook his head gently. “No, you need time. Just wait, it’ll—” But he stopped in mid sentence as the door to the room opened.

Rye stopped pacing long enough to eye the Pokemon who had entered. His immediate reaction was a sharp growl, issued from that back of his throat. “Leave here.” The words came out harsher than he’d intended, but then, the Torchic was never on good terms with him anyway.

Jarre stepped up to Rye, ignoring the two dogs which now stared at him in complete curiosity. “I need to talk to you.”

Rye gave a sly grin and raised an eyebrow. It always surprised him just how much guts this kid had, especially for a Torchic. “What about, kid? I’m busy.”

Jarre gritted his beak. “I’m not a kid. And it’s about…Balian.”

“What?!” This had caught Rye off guard. What news could be about Balian? Did the Torchic know? Abandoning all signs of hatred, Rye motioned for the Torchic to follow him. “We need privacy. Come with me.”

He led Jarre down the hall and stopped outside a small wooden door. He gave the Torchic a curt glance before gently pushing it open and slipping inside. Jarre hesitated, but followed when Rye called.

As soon as they were both inside, the Elekid made a swift movement and closed the door, his paw lingering slightly on the handle. He was afraid to hear the news, but even more afraid of what would happen if it were left untold. He closed his eyes briefly and took a deep breath before turning to Jarre. “Alright. What is your news? We should be safe here.”

The Torchic glanced nervously around the barren room. It was almost pitch black, and only a single window occupied the far wall. It was hardly bright enough to let any light through, even though it was nearing midnight. “Safe?” Jarre echoed. His stomach lurched uncontrollably. It didn’t feel safe.

Rye was losing his patience. “Have you got news or not?!” he snapped, glaring at Jarre.

The Torchic puffed out his feathers. “Yes. I have news, but you won’t like it. I’m not even meant to be telling you.” He paused slightly and Rye waited; the only sound being his tapping foot. Jarre swallowed. “Zanna seems to think that…Balian is hunting her.”

Rye spun round instantly and his eyes widened. “What did you say?!” He picked up the Torchic brusquely and stared at him, paws shaking. “Repeat,” he gasped. “Balian’s what?!”

The Torchic struggled and wiggled his legs in midair uncomfortably. “Balian’s hunting Zanna!” he cried. “Now put me down this instant!” Rye mumbled a hasty apology and dropped him to the floor. Jarre collected himself and eyed Rye curiously. He seemed rather more shocked than he’d envisioned.

The Elekid stood almost deathly still. A paw was raised to his chest and he appeared pained. His expression was somewhat discomforting to the bird. He turned abruptly. “How long have you known?”

Jarre hesitated before replying. “Only a few hours. Listen, Rye, tell me what’s going on. What do you know?” Jarre took a step forward as Rye turned his head towards him.

“Do you really wish to know?” There was a trace of mockery within his voice. A smirk crossed the Elekid’s face as his eyes widened. His sudden appearance made him look much older than he was, even in the moonlight. But it also reflected beautifully off his fur. When Jarre had nodded, Rye returned it and raised a paw to his chest again. His voice was unnerving to the Torchic; so cold…yet timid. “Balian was -is- working for Deoxys. But you know this, yes?”

Jarre nodded again. “I know who he is—what he is.” the Torchic replied menacingly.

Rye let out a low hiss. “Good, then it will make this easier. Balian has recently been possessed by Deoxys. When I fought him, I could sense it.” He turned to the window and let his paws rest against the glass gently, fogging up the cool surface. “He, he wanted to kill me,” he continued in shock. “I know that should not come as a surprise to me, but…it still did. How many times can I face this Pokemon…and live?” Rye’s tone ended in a high note. His voice had cracked.
    “I’ve fought him countless times, but as Deoxys’ army grows stronger, so does he. I think the only reason he let me live was because the others were there. He would have been exposed. Him…and Deoxys.”

Jarre, who was listening rather intently, shook his head. “I knew Balian was bad, but to still be with Deoxys? Codan and Lani will be crushed.”

Rye pondered this. “It is indeed sad that they should be so close to him, yet so far. There will be no easy way to break this news, but it must be done.” He released his paws from the window and turned to Jarre. “Are you sure he is after Zanna?”

The Torchic nodded. “Positive.”

Rye growled savagely. “Well, then, I must get there first.” He made to stride past Jarre, but the bird blocked his path.

“What is it you plan to do?”

Rye glowered at him before curling his lip back in a snarl. “What I should have done years ago, when he and I first met.” He violently shrugged away from Jarre, who staggered backwards from the force. The Elekid was still glowering when he looked up. “I’m going to rip his heart from his chest!”

Jarre jumped a mile high. “What?! Here?! You can’t! Think how much trouble you’ll be in. Think rationally, Rye. Wait for your chance to—”

“My chance is now!” the Elekid snapped back, “Whether you like it or not!” He made to move to the door again, but the Torchic bolted in front once more.

“Please, think before you act, if not for me, for the guild.”

Rye’s eyes flared. “I would never do anything for you, bird. Now stand aside, or else I’ll be forced to do it myself.” Jarre stood firm and glared at the Elekid. Rye curled his lip back again and bared his teeth. A low growl escaped his mouth, and Jarre lowered his gaze, shuffling slightly aside. “Better,” the Elekid hissed.

“Before you go,” Jarre called, “I want you to do one thing.” Rye stopped hesitantly with his paw on the doorframe. The Torchic turned to him then, and smile slightly. “I have something I have to do,” he began. “If I don’t make it back in time, will you…I want you to watch over Zanna.”

The look on Rye’s face softened. “What?”

Jarre stared at the floor. I don’t know what it is, but I sense something deep within her, something that keeps everyone together; keeps them strong. She has a large heart, and I…I don’t want her to die. Not like this. I know she seems to have some affinity with you, Rye.” The Elekid could now see tears welling within the Torchic’s eyes. “My best friend…promise me…you’ll watch over her, and protect her from Deoxys, if I don’t make it.”

Rye stared at Jarre in wonder. “I…I promise,” he said gently.

Jarre sighed. “Good. Thankyou, Rye.”

The Elekid glared. “But I’m not doing this for you. Hear me, Torchic. Zanna may trust you, but I don’t. And I will never like you. In my mind, your soul is still cursed.” He growled again before slipping out the door and slamming it shut.

Jarre stared at the closed door. “I know you better than you think, Rye,” he murmured. “You may not be doing this for me, so then; who are you doing it for? Most likely not your father; you despise him. So…who?” No matter how hard he thought, Jarre could think of no reason, except…a tiny thing. One so small, it almost slipped his mind. And though he didn’t approve of it at all, he smiled.

I put my face in my paws and felt wet tears mix into my fur. “Who would do such a thing? Who could…..?” I raised my head just high enough to catch a glimpse of the gasping Houndoom. She lay sprawled across the floor, her breathing distorted and rough. The walls of the hospital wing seemed to radiate my fears, dark shadows whispering words of death. I couldn’t escape it.

“I’m not sure,” Codan answered grimly. “But whoever it was won’t get away with this.” He clenched his paws so hard that his claws cut into his flesh, sending fresh blood oozing onto the floor.

I looked away. I felt sick, and Jarre still wasn’t back from his walk. He said that he needed some air, but there’s only so much air outside. Codan’s words echoed in my mind. “It was poison. Someone poisoned her. See the purple marks on her body? They’re the worst kind. If she recovers, she will be lucky. There are not many Pokemon who are strong enough to survive…this.”

But who had poisoned Lani, and why? I shook my head sharply in frustration. If I ever found out who did this, I was going to kill them. No questions asked. Sparks began to fly from my cheeks as I gritted my teeth angrily. Codan turned abruptly and left the room. Seeing Lani like this must be hard on him.

I gathered up my courage and walked around to her head. I bent down on my knees and pressed my warm body against her muzzle. “Don’t worry, Lani. I’ll find out who did this to you, and stop them.” The Houndoom’s ragged breathing slowed as I ran my paw gently along her flank. At least she seems peaceful enough. I rose from the ground and turned to follow Codan when I heard a noise. “What…?” But as I turned, a rough paw covered my mouth, stifling my scream as I sank slowly into unconsciousness.

Rye was able to follow Balian’s scent easily through the building. Tracking him was not as hard as he’d thought. But what would he do when he found him? Sparks flew roughly from his ears. I should have done it sooner…torn out his heart! But his malice took a different turn as he remembered Jarre’s last words. “Promise me…you’ll watch over her, and protect her from Deoxys, if I don’t make it.”

Those words had unnerved him so. What could the Torchic possibly be planning? But he didn’t dwell on that. He’d keep the promise he made, but not for him. He didn’t know who for exactly. I feel so strange, he thought. Why do I feel like this? I don’t even know what I feel…what I’m doing. I feel something changing within me…but what?

The Elekid shook his head to clear the thought, and focused instead on the direction of the Empoleon. He was getting close now, he could feel it. Stopping for a split second, he placed a paw on the wall and sent out a quick spark. It raced through the wall, leading him to Balian like a magnet. So close…he thought. Almost there…The spark grew white hot and then…vanished? But what did that mean?! Had Balian left the PRA? No, he wouldn’t have done that if he was after Zanna. There was only one other option. He was protected by a barrier.

Rye slammed a fist against the wall. “Damn it!” The sandstone surface cracked slightly, and a few grains tumbled free. How was he to find Balian if he’d disappeared? Suddenly the Elekid’s ears pricked up. Someone was coming…from the direction of the hospital wing. Rye braced himself for a fight as the footsteps came closer. One…two…a Dragonite rounded the corner and Rye jumped in surprise. “Sir!”

“Oh, Rye, isn’t it?”

The Elekid collected himself and stared up at him. “Yes, sir.” Then he thought of something. If he couldn’t track down Balian, maybe he should stick close to Zanna instead. After all, he would undoubtedly be going after her. “Codan, sir,” Rye began anxiously. “Do you know where I might find Zanna?”

The Dragonite frowned. “She was with me at the hospital wing, but…when I went back for her, she was gone. I don’t know where she is now.”

Rye sighed, downcast by his news. “Oh, alright. I was heading there anyway,” he lied. “I should start looking from there.”

Codan eyed him curiously, but said nothing. “Goodnight to you, then,” he murmured, striding off down the hall.

Rye sighed. So Zanna had been at the hospital wing. Hmm…what was she doing there? He turned to the left and made for the west end, hoping for some miracle, that Zanna might still be there.

Jarre’s eyes focused on the floor, and glared. All he could hear was the rough sound of his talons scraping against the cement as he walked. As soon as Rye had left, he’d come up with a plan. Under the PRA was a large sewer system. Amongst all the pipes, it was rumoured that there was a strong beast; almost as strong as a mountain. “Let’s just hope those rumours are true,” Jarre mumbled to himself. While he had heard that this Pokemon was incredibly strong and rare, he’d also heard that it was in league with the PRA, and therefore, just as intent to stop Deoxys as the rest of them.

The Torchic thought about this as he peered into a puddle. “Urrgh! This is dirtier than I’d hoped. And that stench. What is that?” Jarre raised a wing to cover his beak and proceeded down the long, dark tunnel. Several pairs of red eyes flickered out at him, but none dared to show themselves. They knew what he wanted, and were happy enough to leave him be.

A faint light began to shine ahead, but it wasn’t daylight. This light was artificial. However, it did lead the way to what he wanted. Within a few seconds, the light began to grow stronger and Jarre had to shield his eyes. The brightness blinded him after being in the dark for so long.

The Torchic walked the last few muddy steps into a wide clearing. The circular room seemed like a dead end to any other Pokemon, but Jarre knew better. The wet, grey cement walls encased the room. Columns were spread in a circle around the center of the room, which hid an altar amongst them. He slowly made his way towards it, and up the silver stone steps. As soon as he was sure he was the right place, he glanced up at the ceiling. A dark, gaping hole bore down on him. His legs were suddenly shaking.

No, he thought. I have to do this! To save everyone from Deoxys! Jarre glared up at the hole and opened his beak wide. “Pokemon of the earth, I beseech you, come down so that I may talk to you!” For a moment, only the echo of his own voice answered him, then…a loud, ear-splitting rumble filled the room. “Wah!” Jarre shouted, “Earthquake!”

And as the quake grew more ferocious, so did the light, until it blinded Jarre so much that he had to close his eyes. The Torchic was tossed from the altar and fell roughly to the ground. In the split second that he opened an eye a crack, a loud roar filled the room, and then it all turned black.

“Urrrghh…where am I?” It took me longer than I’d expected to open my eyes. My lids felt heavy somehow. When I’d finally managed to pry them open, I let out a loud gasp. I turned my head hastily to each side and yanked at my paws. “No!” I cried. “How…?” I stared in horror at the chains that bound me to the wall. They were unlike any I’d ever seen before. So heavy, so strong. I had no chance. I yanked again and again, but to no avail. It was then that a voice called out to me.

“Kekeke…you know it’s futile, to escape me so.”

I glanced around the room, but I couldn’t see who’d said the comment. “Who are you?!” I cried hoarsely. “Show yourself!”

The voice cackled. “Keke…very well.” A ghastly Pokemon stepped into the light.

It was somehow familiar. The purple body, the large smile, the dark red, blood eyes. Then I remembered where I’d seen it before, and my stomach keeled and rolled in on itself. I winced and closed my eyes. No…not here. It couldn’t be. “Gengar!” I gasped. “You work for Scythe!”

The Pokemon seemed rather bemused. “Kekeke…you know? You are indeed a special Pokemon, yes. I see now why the master wants you.”

My heart pounded rapidly within my chest. “What?!” I cried. “What does Deoxys want with me?”

The Gengar cackled again. “What? You mean you don’t know?” It made a gesture like a smile. “The master…he wants your soul!”

I almost fainted. “Why does he want me? Why is it my soul?”

The Gengar was silent for a moment before it replied. “To complete his ritual, the master needs a sacrifice.”

I racked my head for a way out of this. Only one thought sprang to mind. I’ve got to keep him talking. “Why me?” I repeated.

The ghost’s patience was wearing thin. “Any other Pokemon would not do,” he grinned slyly. “To complete the ritual, my master needs the soul…of a human!”

A human?! So it was true…I was not from this world…but the others. What would they say? What would they think? “Urrgh…”

The Gengar grinned. “What’s the matter, Pikachu? Lost your voice? Kekeke…” He trailed off and glided over towards a metal machine in the center of the room.

“Wah!” I cried, “What’s that?”

“This?” replied the Gengar slyly. “This is the soul extractor. It will suck out your soul.”

And I had to ask. “NO!!!” I screamed, struggling frantically. And then, I stopped. A thought hit me, but would it work? It was worth a try. Or I’d undoubtedly die trying. I’d seen my friends before, maybe the telepathic link would work! No time to worry about bans now. I’d face that fact when and if I didn’t die. I tore my eyes from the cackling Gengar and focused. My eyes drooped and I breathed in slowly, until my breaths came so slow that they almost stopped entirely.

Now, I thought. Think clearly. I shouted out three names in my mind. Codan! Jarre! Rye! I need your help! Hear me! I’m somewhere under the PRA. Gengar has me captured and is about to extract my soul. Oh please, hurry! I beg you! My mind instantly cut off from the telepathy. I just hoped that the call would be enough. I opened my eyes again to see Gengar standing right in front of me. “Ah! What are you doing?!”

The Pokemon held my gaze steadily and ignored the comment. “Stare deep into my eyes…see them circling? Let it envelop you, encase you…swallow you…kekeke…”

The laughter rang through my mind as my eyes glued themselves to Gengar’s. Red swirls appeared before me, and I found myself getting drowsy. It was like I was being sucked into a strange void. My thoughts and my mind ran blank. Urggh…I thought slowly. Someone…help…………me…………

Codan stopped dead outside the entrance hall. He could have sworn he’d heard Zanna’s voice just then. Wait! There it was again! Help me…It was growing fainter, but he could tell it was Zanna’s. With one, swift movement, he made for the end of the hall, straight towards the PRA ruins. “Hold on, Zanna,” he murmured. “I’m coming.”

The perpetual darkness held Jarre within its grasp. But something reached out to him, almost like it was calling to him. “Zanna?” he frowned. No, it couldn’t be.

“Your friend,” a voice answered, “Is in danger.”

Jarre started, but soon regained his senses. “Then help me!” he shouted. “Please!”

Rye’s eyes picked up an odd vibration in the air. Wait…that couldn’t be…”Zanna?” he called out. “Where are you?”

The voice answered dimly. Gengar has me captured…please, hurry!

The Elekid started in surprise. “Zanna!” This was beginning to get far worse than he’d envisioned. Deoxys now had control of the PRA, and if something wasn’t done quickly, he’d soon control the whole world! Urrghh. Balian would have to wait. As of right now, Zanna needed him, and he intended to keep the promise he’d made. To the end, he vowed.

Chapter 18;
    .............invasion

---------

“Zanna, give us a sign,” Rye murmured quietly to himself. “Where are you?” His paw gently traced the contours of the sandstone wall. It still hurt from when he’d punched the stone, but was healing fast. Only a thin, red line remained now where a scar once would have been.

A slight rumble shook the earth below and the Elekid had to grasp the wall so he wouldn’t fall down. He pressed his back to it firmly and raised a paw out in front of him, extending two claws. They shook gently in the air and then instantly snapped back. “Ah! It shocked me!” Rye’s hiss was drowned in his throat as another earthquake coursed underneath him. He quickly withdrew his hurt paw and peered at the ground. “What on earth…?” His eyes widened in fear and curiosity. Something was going on down there, and he was sure it wasn’t good.

As soon as the ground stopped shaking, he ran out into the hall and eyed a set of stairs to the right. “Hmph. Time to get serious. Whatever’s going on, they won’t get away with it.” The Elekid bolted for the stairs and put a paw on the railing, swinging himself up and over the side. He sailed through the air and quickly pulled back to absorb the force of the landing. In no more than a few seconds, only a blur could tell that someone had been there.

Jarre’s beak gaped open at the looming shadow in front of him that seemed to be growing larger every second. His wings quivered slightly as it spoke.

“Your friend,” a low voice growled, “The Pikachu…that is the one you wish me to save?” The Torchic only blinked in response, words far from his reach. The voice came again and so did another quake. “Well, is it her or not?!”

“Yes!” Jarre shouted back in surprise. His feathers stood on end and his legs quivered. What stood before him could surely not be natural. The beast was monstrously tall and it glared at him savagely. Large, curved claws arched out from its two front paws and strange black marks covered its body. The beast itself was a dark crimson colour; it stood on two legs and its tail swung about threateningly. The dinosaur held Jarre in its icy gaze, a low rumble echoing throughout the room.

“Hmm…you are sure then?” It paused and closed its eyes. Jarre blinked twice and rubbed his own with his wings. Huh? Was that Pokemon…thinking? Nonetheless, he could see it was true. The beasts jaw twitched slightly and its razor sharp teeth glinted in the low key lighting. Before Jarre could even react, its eyes snapped open again, causing the small bird to recoil in fear. “It is her,” he whispered, “This one is different from the others…she carries a gift; a light. It burns brightly within her, etched on her tail…” The beast trailed off and glanced down at the Torchic.
    “The one with the light is in trouble…I will help you.” It paused for a moment before widening its eyes in a friendly gesture. “I am the Pokemon of the land, Groudon. I have resided here for many years, unscathed by time, yet you have sought me out…and then the light is here…yes,” it rumbled gently. “This, too, is fate.”

Without warning, the Groudon let off a savage roar that would have made even the bravest Pokemon cringe. “Let the others know I am here,” it commanded in a sharp growl. “By my entire being, the light shall be free!”

Where am I? Is this…a dream? No…this is different. I’m in…darkness…I could feel my eyelids fluttering; I knew this wasn’t a dream. It was more of a nightmare! But though my mind was in the nightmare, my body was still intact with the physical world. I felt my teeth grit in pain, my small fangs scratching my fur until they drew blood. My paws were clenched into fists, my fur stood on end, and I was shaking. Always constantly shaking, but that wasn’t the worst of it. The worst part was the intense agony that bore a hole right through my stomach. “ARRGGHHH!” I screamed in pain as the hole twisted and something within it clenched. “NOO!”

“Aww, what’s wrong? Can’t take the heat?” A cold, sinister voice entered my mind. Large red eyes narrowed until they were just tiny slits. Only the pupils could be seen in my mind, glaring like a monster.

“No!” I writhed in agony and I could feel the strain it took me to move my paws around within the chains. My wrists were already red and raw. The sticky, oozing blood that now trickled down them meant nothing to me. My other pain meant nothing. All that concerned me now was the ripping hole in my stomach. But I couldn’t do anything. My eyes wouldn’t open no matter how hard I tried. I might as well have given up; I was stuck in this nightmare. As long as it took for Gengar to extract my soul, I would be in here; trapped and lifeless.

My jaw trembled again as the salty taste of blood flowed on my lips. What was left of my stomach retracted in a sudden convulsion; my own blood made me sick. I writhed again and opened my mouth wide, spluttering for air. Though I couldn’t see, I knew my body must be in tattered ruins by now. I was even beyond the point of crying; I’d probably already exhausted my supply. So this is what it’s like, I thought sullenly, to die…

NO!

“Huh?” I jerked my head up in surprise. That voice…who was it?

Don’t you dare give up! Never!

A rough snarl issued from the telepathic link before it snapped off. Even though my eyes were shut, I could feel them narrowing. It said…don’t give up…“Arrgh!” I opened my eyes in an instant and glared at the Gengar in front of me savagely.

“Keke! What?!”

I peered down at my stomach, and though it hurt, tensed my muscles. Gengar had punched his paw right into it! That was the source of my nightmare! The hole that was there, the intense pain, was from him! I opened my mouth weakly to speak. “Gen…Gengar!”

“Keke?” The purple Pokemon glared at me in utter fascination. “You! You should be asleep! How?!”

I composed my face as best I could in a grin. “I guess…I guess I had a wake-up call.” While I tried to make my voice fierce, the best I could do barely came out in a whisper. Gengar merely smiled and clenched his paw again. “Arrgh!” The agony came back with double force. “Please,” I begged, “Don’t.”

“Why?” the Gengar hissed savagely. “Look at you! You’re pathetic! You’re worse than pathetic even; you’re a waste! It sneered and twisted its paw slowly while I could do nothing but scream. “See? You’re worthless…a leech. And no one will miss you at all. Give up…”

My eyes widened slowly as Gengar’s manic laugh came from a distance. Don’t…give…up! “NEVER!” My scream echoed throughout the large, desolate ruin. I could see that Gengar had frozen. He was almost deathly still now. I must have caught him off guard with my scream. Then I realised that it had nothing to do with my scream. His eyes were wide with shock, and they were staring at my face! It was only then that I became aware of a slight prickling in my cheeks.

“I can see…” Gengar muttered in surprise. “I can see…your aura! It’s white!”

I twisted my head around me and almost reeled if the chains hadn’t been stopping me. My body was turning…white! My tail, I remembered, which was unchained, I swung out in front of me. The circle on my tail, which was always a mystery to me and was always slightly glowing, was now almost as bright as a dazzling light. In the end, I had to look away because it was blinding me. What else was different about me, and how? Why was I turning white? But it didn’t matter to me that much, anyway. What shocked me now was the huge feeling of calm that was spreading over me; making me feel elated. The pain, I noticed, was distant now. It was second nature to this good, irresistible feeling.

I smiled, narrowing my eyes as Gengar withdrew his paw from my stomach and began to back away. I caught his movements and noticed that he was edging towards the soul extractor. Apparently, he’d had enough of the ‘torture’ scenario. “Oh, no you don’t!” The crackling within my cheeks grew until it pulsed through my veins.

“Keke!” Gengar cried out. “No!”

“Yes! Pii…kaaa…chhuuu!” My cry rang out and the white hot lightning flew from my body and engulfed the Gengar.

“Arrghh!” His scream sounded almost glorious to my ears; I felt like laughing. The calm that surrounded me made me feel happy.

“Gah!” Something hard struck the side of my face, making me see stars. “Wha-what?” I shook my head quickly and glanced around the room. Where I should have seen an ashen black Pokemon, I could only see empty air. Gengar had evaded my attack! The feeling of calm was beginning to wash away and the white colour of my body was receding. I felt dizzy again. “No…” A few feet away, Gengar was sneering with a rock in his paw.

“I’m not that easy to get!” he growled. “You rat! How DARE you!” He aimed another rock at me and I felt it skim against my chest. I flinched back instantly. “This’ll be your last breath, Pikachu!” he warned me. “You will never see the light of day again!” He threw the last rock and it hit me straight in the forehead. My eyes drooped as my head spun wildly. This is it…that voice didn’t matter now. I was going to give up. I couldn’t survive; not like this. I closed my eyes and my head lolled as I waited for the final blow.

Then I heard a loud crash and a scream. I tried to open my eyes, but I was too far under to do anything now. Another loud crash sounded and I heard something whizz past my ears. Within a moment, I felt myself falling through the air; something had hacked my chains apart. Any moment I knew I’d hit the ground. But to my utter amazement, something soft curled around me and softened my fall.

“That’s it,” a gentle voice whispered. “I told you, never give up.” Whoever held me tightened its grip and groaned softly as it landed on the ground. “I made a promise, and I intend to keep it.” I sighed at that moment, knowing that I was safe, and faded out the cool voice that was the only thing keeping me awake.

It was hard for Rye to see into the ruins without being spotted, but he did it anyway. A slight movement from behind made him instantly jerk his paw out. “Stay there!” he hissed. “It’s too early to be caught now!” The Dragonite made to retort, but thought better of it and sighed, moving slowly back into the shadows.

Quite by chance, as soon as Rye had reached the ruins entrance, Codan had appeared. In the brief greeting they’d exchanged, he’d learnt that the Dragonite had also heard Zanna’s call. She must have called out to all of us then, Rye concluded, the Torchic as well. But he pushed his hatred aside; it wouldn’t help in this situation. His eyes narrowed instinctively upon seeing the Gengar. I’d know him anywhere…that’s Arc! That means…oh, no…Rye winced and clutched his stomach with a paw.

“What is it?” Codan whispered frantically.

“The Gengar,” Rye muttered. “That’s Arc. He works for Deoxys,” The Elekid noted the sharp intake of breath from Codan. “But he’s also part of a team, and on that team are Raze and Scythe.” He glared at the Gengar again and growled. “If Arc’s here, you can bet that Raze and Scythe aren’t far behind.” He turned his head sharply to the Dragonite. “Well, are you…” His voice trailed off as he saw Codan. The dragon was bent double and grasping the wall to steady himself.

“Deoxys…” he hissed.

Rye was stunned. What could that monster have done to upset him so much? For a moment, the Elekid was consumed by pity, then he remembered the task at hand. “Codan, snap out of it! We need to focus on getting Zanna out of here! Worry later.” He saw the Dragonite gulp and nod weakly. It took some effort, he could see, but Codan was soon standing upright again. Rye inclined his head. “Are you ready?”

“Let’s do this,” Codan replied, clenching his paws. “No more mercy.”

A slight smile spread across Rye’s face. “Well said,” He turned back towards Arc and glared. “Alright, on my signal, you hit Arc with dragon rage. It shouldn’t keep him at bay for long, but just long enough for me to get to Zanna. Understand?” He assumed the growl Codan issued meant yes. “Alright, now we wait.” He crouched down by the corner again and peered around. What he saw instantly shocked him. “What the?! Zanna! She’s white!”

“What?!” Codan’s rough paw pushed Rye out of the way and he ignored when he growled in protest. “What is that?”

Rye glared, but edged around the other side of the Dragonite. Zanna was…smiling! He gasped and drew back. What was happening to her? “Ah!” Something had clicked for him then. When Scythe got angry, she turned black. Could the same thing be happening to Zanna? He peered around again and sighed. No, that couldn’t be it. She was white, not black, and the force that was radiating from her was peaceful. It was very faint, considering they were far away, but he could still sense the calm aura flowing from her. “Hmm…” But he instantly became aware again as something hit her; a rock.

Rye gritted his teeth and felt a rumble rise within him. Another two rocks flew at the Pikachu and every time they hit, Rye’s anger rose. That’s it, he thought, eyeing the almost unconscious Pikachu, “Now!” he hissed to Codan.

Without a moments delay, the Dragonite sprung forth and shot an energy ball straight at the Gengar. It hit its target, leaving Arc staggering and gasping for air. Rye was racing along, already halfway to his mark. Within a second, he leapt up off the ground and reached within his fur, pulling out a silver shuriken. He arched back and threw it swiftly towards the chains that bound Zanna. It sliced through them effortlessly and curled back towards Rye, who caught it and placed it deep in his fur before shooting off in the direction of the Pikachu.

I’m not going to make it, he thought. I need more speed! He strained his mind and instantly teleported underneath Zanna. He grasped her gently, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist.

“Huh…?” the Pikachu groaned uneasily into his fur.

Rye’s forehead creased slightly. “That’s it. I told you, never give up. I made a promise, and I intend to keep it.” He saw Zanna sigh and drift off. The Elekid then turned around in mid-air and landed lightly on the rough ground, never for a moment relaxing his grip. He stood up swiftly, cradling the Pikachu gently within his arms. “Codan!” he shouted, “Let’s go!”

As was their plan, they intended to get as far away as possible and draw the intruders to the main hall. It was the largest, and seemingly the best place for a fight if one should occur. He saw the Dragonite nod hastily and leave a parting punch for Arc before dashing out into the dark hallway. Rye followed instantly, but caught Arc’s gaze before he left. At first, the Gengar glared, then it smiled.

“I know your secret, Rye. You will not escape this alive.”

The Elekid stopped at the crumbling archway and growled savagely. “I already have. You, however, have not.”

Arc just laughed. “Ke! What do you mean? I’m standing, aren’t I?”

Rye gave a slight smile as his eyes traced the path of the silent shuriken. It sliced through the still laughing Gengar and sailed back towards Rye, who had to hold Zanna with one paw to catch it. His nose crinkled at the rusty stench of the blood, and he glanced back to Arc once more.

The Gengar stood deathly still and was beginning to pale. He looked down at his chest with a strained expression. The shuriken had pierced him straight through the heart. With a gurgling groan, the Gengar fell to the ground, surrounded by his own foul-smelling, tainted blood.

“I told you,” Rye glared, “That you wouldn’t survive.” He tore his eyes away from Arc and heaved Zanna up close to him. Anyone who tried to mess with him or his friends was history. He shook his head once and followed Codan up and out into the hall.

The PRA was now bustling with activity. Pokemon everywhere were fleeing in a desperate attempt to survive. The Entrance hall was no better. Codan sighed as he spotted a bolting Arcanine and pulled it to the side by the scruff of its collar. “Why are you fleeing?! Don’t you realise that we need everyone to band together to win this?” He shook the Arcanine by the cuff when it neglected to look at him. “Answer me!” he hissed.

“No-no!” the dog stammered nervously. “W-we can’t win!”

Codan frowned. “What do you mean? Of course we can! It’s only a couple of intruders, we can—”

“NO!” the Arcanine barked back savagely as it turned to Codan. The Dragonite was shocked beyond words. The dog’s face was scarred and wounded, fresh blood dripping down slowly. But its eyes attracted the most attention. The eyes, which were usually very fierce for an Arcanine, now looked as dull and lifeless as a rock. The pupils were contracted so far that they were almost invisible. “Not a few,” it muttered, taking in a sharp breath, “Tonnes! They come in numbers far greater than our own! We can’t win!” With a final heave, the Arcanine pulled away and dashed off whimpering.

Rye walked up silently behind Codan and raised an eyebrow. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say that it’s spooked. Really good.” The Elekid’s gaze followed the trail of the Arcanine that had knocked over several other Pokemon in an attempt to flee.

Codan shook his head wearily. “Never mind that, how’s Zanna doing?” he turned to Rye who’s face flitted with concern almost immediately.

“She’s holding on…but barely. I’ve never seen her so worn out and tattered before.” He glanced down anxiously at the small Pikachu cradled within his arms. And I hate to admit it, but…it scares me…why? He shook his head abruptly and turned to the Dragonite instead. “What did the dog say?”

Codan stiffened. “She…she said that we can’t win. The numbers they come in are greater than our own.”

“What?!” Rye started. “Where? I don’t see anything!” As if in answer to his question, the back wall burst into rubble, sending him, Codan, and Zanna flying. The Pikachu rolled across the floor like a leaf and stopped only when a boulder barred her path. Rye cringed and climbed onto all fours, scrambling to get a hold of the dirt beneath him. What…what was that? “Ah!” His eyes widened instantly as they searched the ground in front of him. “Zanna!” He rose to his feet shakily, using a paw to steady himself as a dizzy spell hit. “No…” he groaned. “There’s no time!” But he winced as he tried to walk, collapsing effortlessly onto the ground again. The explosion had knocked all the wind out of him!

“Well, well, fancy seeing you here, old friend.”

“Huh?” Rye placed his paws in front of him and looked up. The dark face was blurred in double vision for a moment before it cleared. Then, as he recognised the features, he recoiled and hissed. “Scythe! Leave! You don’t belong here!” He studied her for a moment before speaking again. Wait… “I saw you this afternoon!” he shouted. “You were almost dead! How—”

The Absol cut him off quickly with a sly grin. “I guess I really should thank you for saving my hide. I was lucky the master got there as soon as he did, really.”

“Grrr…” Rye growled and bared his teeth at her, clenching his paws as hard as he could. “I should have LET you die! Just like I killed your team-mate!”

“What did you do?” Scythe’s voice was almost a low hiss now. The black Absol seemed to be shaking with fury. Rye wasn’t interested in games, though. There were more pressing matters at hand. Zanna was lying unprotected who knows where, and he could see that Codan was alright, though it did seem to take most of his strength to stand up again.

The Elekid turned back to Scythe and growled. “I’m not in the mood for games, Absol. Let me go!” But when he tried to get up, he soon found Scythe barring his way.

“Tell me what happened…to Arc!” she hissed.

Rye sighed. I don’t have time for this! All the same though, he grinned slyly up at her. “He was no match for me,” he crowed. “See this?” Rye took out the small, silver shuriken that was still stained with Arc’s blood. “It pierced him,” he continued lightly, swirling the blade on the palm of his paw. “Pierced him straight through the heart…” He trailed off, almost snickering, when Scythe brought a paw forward. Rye tensed; that was just the moment he’d been waiting for. He leapt up agilely onto the paw and used the forward momentum to flip up onto a large boulder that had been blown free of the wall.

He landed lightly on his feet and crouched down, pressing low to the cool, rough surface of the rock. His breaths now came out in ragged gasps. I don’t know…how much longer…I can keep this up. He tried to move slightly and then cringed back, whipping a paw around to the left side of his chest. When he drew it back, fresh blood clung to his fur, leaving it all matted. “Arggh…” Scythe’s paw must have still caught him at the last minute. He wasn’t as fast as he could be, either.

He winced again as he pushed himself back against the rock. Wait for it…Just as he’d predicted, the overly-tensed and psychotic Absol had lunged upwards towards him. Rye rolled over at the last second, leaving Scythe to dig her fangs into solid rock.

The Absol recoiled in pain and hissed again. “You have a death wish, Elekid! Just you wait!”

But Rye wasn’t dumb enough to wait for Scythe to regain her senses. By the time the Absol could stand again, he’d already bolted off halfway across the room, ignoring the intense pain that shot through his side every time he took a step. He met up with Codan who deftly punched a Mightyena before using his wings to spear its stomach. “Wow,” Rye murmured. “You have some moves.”

The Dragonite flashed a quick smile before dispersing the dog. “Nothing compared to yours, I see. I’ve never met anyone who moves so fast. It’s like you teleport pretty much instantly.”

Rye shook his head brusquely. “I only wish that were the case. Where’s Zanna?”

“What?!” Codan glanced briefly around the room. “You lost her?!”

“I-I didn’t mean to!” Rye snapped back. “She was knocked away by the explosion! Speaking of which, we have more trouble. Raze and Scythe are here.”

Codan’s eyes narrowed and a puff of smoke was snorted from his nostrils. “You find Zanna. I’ll take care of them.”

“But—” Rye tried to argue, but Codan had already swept off from the ground, leaving the faintest cloud of dust behind him. “Grrr…” he growled again and turned away swiftly. Never mind that, where was Zanna? He jumped on top of another boulder to get a good view of the surrounding area, and almost fainted.

Hundreds of corpses lay on the battlefield, both good and evil. Rye cast a glance to the large hole that gaped in the far wall. Tonnes of Pokemon rushed in; swiftly dealing blows to anyone that got in their way. One in particular, however, caught Rye’s gaze. The smirking Weavile held up a walkie-talkie and cocked its head to the side. With its left paw, it signalled to another Weavile who merely nodded and raced off so fast that Rye couldn’t see where it’d gone.

I know that Weavile, he glared. They’re the Hunters! But why would they be here? His thoughts strayed back to Zanna chained to the wall. He gritted his teeth and raised a paw to his aching side again. He knew. They were after Zanna. And hadn’t he been warned that there’d be competition? Whatever had that Pikachu done? “Arrggh!” He shook his head in frustration again and ignored all the mayhem around him. “I need to find her!” he hissed. Then his eyes widened. There she was, just inches below him, swept against the side of the boulder.

He dropped down instantly and raised a paw to the unmoving figure. “Zanna,” he murmured. “Zanna, can you hear me?” No response came from the body; she was knocked out cold. And no wonder. Who knows what she’s been through, Rye thought. Ignoring the protesting stab of pain, he bent down and gently picked up the limp Pikachu. It suddenly struck him right then exactly how fragile she was. She weighed little much as a rock in Rye’s grasp. How could this creature be what Deoxys was after?

But he couldn’t think for long; a jagged paw smacked into the side of his head, sending him off balance and flying through the air. No! Protect Zanna! With his paws grasping the Pikachu tightly, he rolled over in mid-air and braced himself for the rough landing. As soon as his back hit the gravel, he cried out in pain. It seemed like he was on fire! It took ages for the relentless ground to slow him, but once it did, he found that he was unable to move. His back was red and raw now, the sharp rocks below digging into it painfully. Rye gritted his teeth and tried to keep the room in focus, but he could feel his consciousness slipping.

A dark shadow loomed over him, sneering and reaching out towards Zanna. “I’ll take that!” But Rye was ready.

“Over my dead body.” When the paw was close enough, he bit into it savagely, tasting the rusty blood in his mouth.

The figure roared in pain and snatched its paw back, cursing. “You little brat!”

The Elekid spat the blood out of his mouth, and though it almost made him faint, rolled over so that he was bent over Zanna, protecting her. “You…won’t get her!” he replied slowly, his body shaking with the effort to remain upright.

“Try me!” the figure retorted, slamming another paw into Rye’s back. The Elekid screamed. He could see the blood dripping down around him, swirling and mixing into the ground. His teeth hurting now, he narrowed his eyes in vain as the blows came again and again. The darkness was drawing closer and closer until it threatened to swallow him.

I won’t die for a lost cause, he thought fiercely. If I die, it’ll be for a friend. His blurred eyes peered down at the Pikachu in front of him. They were dull and lifeless now, none of the emerald fire they once held visible within them. The blows were growing distant and he was beginning to get closer to the ground, when something made his eyes focus. He took a sharp breath as he saw Zanna wearily open her eyes. He noted that they were dull too, but hadn’t lost any of the intensity or fierce determination that always shone within them. “Zanna!” he whispered lightly, a slight smile on his face.

“Hmm?” The Pikachu groaned and tried to move, but instantly fell backwards again, instead clutching her stomach.

Rye peered down at the blood stained fur and felt a rumble rise within him. “Don’t move, Zanna,” he managed to force out. “I’ve got you covered.”

Zanna’s pained face relaxed as she opened her eyes again and spotted Rye. However, her expression immediately changed into shock as she eyed the Elekid more closely. “Rye…move! You’re hurt!” The words didn’t come out nearly as impressive as she’d hoped. It was more of a soft gurgle.

Rye grinned as she attempted feebly to push him away. But she couldn’t budge him any more than she could fly. “No,” he assured her. “I’ll be alright.”

“You don’t look it…” Zanna replied, doing her best to glare at him.

Rye gave a soft chuckle. “I will be…if you’re safe…” He trailed off in that instant, and as his back was dealt a final blow, collapsed beside Zanna, uttering a silent scream.

It was hard to focus my eyes, but they managed to see everything. Rye collapsed beside me in an instant, leaving only a sneering, wicked Weavile looming above me. “You’ve run out of luck, Pikachu,” it cackled. “Who is there to protect you now?”

“Me!” The Weavile’s shocked expression was engulfed in flames that killed it almost instantly. The charred Pokemon fell to the ground beside me in a crumpled heap. A small laugh came from behind it and a red figure leapt across to me agilely. “Well Zanna, I’m sorry I didn’t come sooner, but business called.”

I managed to prop myself up against the boulder and eye Jarre curiously. “You didn’t kill him, did you?”

The Torchic frowned, glancing beside me. “Oh, come on. The time for mercy has passed! I mean, if he didn’t…he would have…” He trailed off uselessly and then spotted Rye. “What happened to him?” he uttered in amazement.

I saw that Rye’s back was red and raw, blood was gathering in dried scabs everywhere, and he really looked like a mess. “I’m not sure,” I replied slowly, a crease forming in my forehead. “But I think he was protecting me.”

“Hmm…” Jarre eyed him a moment longer before turning away. “You’ll have to look after him for now, I have something to do. But I’ll be back soon!” he added, glancing at the worried expression on my face.

I turned to Rye. “I can barely look after myself, how am I meant to look after him, too?” I shook my head slowly, ignoring the sudden rush of dizzy spells. I remembered when I’d tried to move him how little he’d budged, if he’d even moved at all. “Rye…move! You’re hurt!”

He’d only smiled then, mocking me. “No, I’ll be alright…I will be…if you’re safe…”

That glint in his eyes had shocked me. He’d used the last of his strength to protect me…did I even deserve it? And why? Why would he risk his life for me? I sighed. This was all too confusing. “Ah!” I fell backwards against the rock as a sudden earthquake hit; but it wasn’t normal. A loud, ripping sound erupted from the earth beneath me and steadily grew. “What is that?!” I gasped. In one, sudden movement, the ground burst open and gravel flew everywhere. I shielded my eyes with a paw and grasped Rye with the other, hoping to Arceus that I’d at least live through this. Hundreds of Pokemon were knocked back as a deep rumble issued from the dust cloud in front of me.

“Get away from the light!” It hissed savagely.

I peered into the fog slowly and froze, meeting a single, ruby-red eye.