Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

How do you make characters?!

So I was looking at Char's writing prompts and thinking it would be fun and then I realised... I don't really have any characters!

How do you guys come up with characters? Do you just start writing and see what happens? Or do you make the character first and then the story? I've written plenty of stories but I guess they were more plot driven and not about developing interesting characters with whole personalities and backstories and relationships. They were more like snapshots into someone's life than anything too detailed.

I am kind of sad now because I want a character so I am going to go away and try to come up with one... xD
    GCEA

Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar
    Fictional characters are like kids: they go to live on a life of their own.

When I make characters I put a tiny bit of myself in them, even if their majority would be completely off kilter. I run them through stories and they just develop within whatever story or scenario they are in at the time. For a basis I often use a single idea or a source of inspiration, and slowly build off of it from there. Using different ideas or concepts that I want to use and sorting them out to make a balanced and believable character. Figuring out flaws is often the most fun part for me, as part of me likes to figure out how to abuse them later on. Personalities can be the hardest, but that's where the scenario runs help the most. They help form the mentality of the character and it helps me figure out what works and what doesn't. Visual design is a rather hard part as looks also play into the character itself.

/end summary

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    Fictional characters are like kids: they go to live on a life of their own.

When I make characters I put a tiny bit of myself in them, even if their majority would be completely off kilter. I run them through stories and they just develop within whatever story or scenario they are in at the time. For a basis I often use a single idea or a source of inspiration, and slowly build off of it from there. Using different ideas or concepts that I want to use and sorting them out to make a balanced and believable character. Figuring out flaws is often the most fun part for me, as part of me likes to figure out how to abuse them later on. Personalities can be the hardest, but that's where the scenario runs help the most. They help form the mentality of the character and it helps me figure out what works and what doesn't. Visual design is a rather hard part as looks also play into the character itself.

/end summary
    What Sabi said. xD I looooove writing about characters. I'm great at writing emotionally character-driven stories. For me, plot comes second. Like Sabi mentioned, I always put a bit of myself into my characters. Sure, all of them are vastly different, but that little bit of 'me' I put into them really makes me feel as though sometimes they are my kids. And then I get so super-attached to them when it comes time for me to kill one of them off I cry SO MUCH. ;n; It's awful.

Often times, when I'm writing a chapter, I'll have an idea in which direction I want it to go. About 90% of the time this scenario ends up changing because my characters go and do something I wouldn't have originally written for them, but it suits their personalities. So even as stories develop, so do characters. And a bunch of things end up changing because of them. For myself, I usually come up with a basic idea for a story, and then delve straight into character designs and concepts. I find that once my characters are developed, the plot becomes a lot clearer to me because I can see how they'd act in a certain idea or situation. And so my main idea might change.

You have to remember also, the people aren't perfect. And so neither are characters. You can't write about some god-modding character, because that would just be super boring. I love to write out deep profiles for each of my characters, including appearance, personality, back-story (history), nicknames, like, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses etc. This helps to get a better view of a character and the potential to develop them even further. In my case, I also love to draw them out, making different expressions and such. It's quite hilarious at times. xD

Have your characters run through different situations, like Sabi said, and make them act in accordance to their personality, not your own. I understand that the author is the person writing the story, but the characters can't be all like the author. Everyone has a way they react to things. So do they. :D

/essayandahalf

I make up my characters when I do role playing and then I just keep on building on them and building on them and then when I wanna write poof I have my character already. If anyone has read my fic will see Molly Franklin which is like a girly version of me. I put a little of me into a character just to make it easier if someone feels the need to steal things from me.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

I seem to be on the good side here, as I find characters very easy to make. Usually when I want to create a character, I'll sit down and browse through zerochan, danbooru, pixiv or deviantArt and find a picture of a person that inspires me, then create a character based off of them, and usually the character develops a new look. When I'm bored, I also like to find an actor I'd like to play that character, so I can think about their look again.

Other times, I'm inspired by people I know in real life, even if it's somebody I've seen for five seconds and thought "that person's hair is so cool!" and then made a character with that kind of hair.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I think I tend to make my characters too perfect and boring. Maybe that's why I don't really feel like any of them are actual characters. xD I find it's especially a problem because I like the characters I come up with and because of that I don't want them to have any major flaws. D: I am definitely gonna try and work on that though!

It's really interesting to see all you guys' processes, thanks for sharing! :D
    GCEA

Not insanity. Supersanity. Death's Spook's Avatar
    I start off with what I call a "seed." Like, for example, "Wouldn't it be cool if my character was the best swordswoman in the land?" Then I think to myself, "Ok. What sort of things need to happen so that this can happen?" To continue that example, "Well, people don't become swords masters overnight. Clearly, this woman is a noble, with time and training put in. But if she's the best, then she needs to have incentive to /be/ the best. Maybe her family is evil. But wait. Evil noble family, wouldn't they have gotten destroyed? Well, yes, but they fulfill a function very necessary to the realm. But wait, evil noble families are evil because of the lust for power generally. Wouldn't they have tried to keep her down? Well, yeah, but there's one good family member who likes her. Why are they good? Well, they're literally a bastard child from the previous generation, so they're removed from the conflict while simultaneously privy to the family politics. Wait, why are they there? Because they're powerful enough to be respected even though they don't have a claim to the noble title." And so it cascades, with things filling in as I draw conclusions, justifications, flaws that would develop in the character's psyche. And then, in the story proper, I figure out "OK, how can I use this all to be extra mean to her?" and go from there.
    Avatar taken from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart. Two great tastes that go great together! You know, when they aren't trying to kill each other horribly.

Ivy commands you not to touch the kitty!

Banner by Neo Emolga!

URPG Staff

My heart is in several places and all of them are fictional. u^u
    My thought process varies pretty wildly, but I do have a sort of pattern. I usually get impressions first - stuff like a certain role or characteristic, usually something basic that fills a need in the story but still gives the character plenty of room to develop and even change the story. From there, I expand. If I think "oh, this character is mad a lot", I try to justify that with circumstances and personal dispositions. If I think "oh, this character can blow stuff up with a glance" I think of why that character has that particular ability in this particular setting and what sort of personality would make that ability most interesting. If I think "oh, this character is an antagonist" I think of exactly how powerful they need to be to challenge the protagonist, why they're doing so, what their strengths are, and where these strengths came from. It's a lot more involved than that, but I almost always start out with a broad idea and work from there. Some of my characters come almost fully-formed when I think of them, but that's a pretty rare luxury that I don't usually get. Even when it does happen, there's always some amount of refinement to be done, grooming them to be more believable/better mesh with the setting/more engaging/etc.

A lot of my characters come from drawing, too. I'll doodle up a random person, animal, or monster and then expand on it from there. One of my (personal) favorite original characters started out as a drawing of a goofy-looking fat dragon; I then thought to myself "wouldn't it be awesome if this guy had a funny name, was extremely upbeat and kind, and also a master of time itself?". Drawing characters tends to help me get a better hold on them, but that doesn't work for everyone. :B

I agree with the bit about putting yourself into your characters, though. If you find a character more relatable, then you're going to have a much easier time writing about them. Even if they're the complete opposite of you in most regards, it can help you to understand their personalities and motivations. Putting them through different scenarios in your head is also really helpful; it "tests" the characters so to speak, and lets you get a better look at how they'd respond to things within your story. I do this crap a lot, and because of it I have a much easier time using their particular personality dynamic in whatever story I'm trying to tell.

Personal note - flaws are what makes characters feel more real and relatable, maybe even more so than their good points. One of my characters, used to be pretty much a one-trick pony - not very personable, quiet, very kind and emotionally-smart but kinda sad. It's not really fun to read about a shy introvert not interacting with people, though, so I had to give him motivations and flaws. He's quiet and serious most of the time because, long story short, sticking out is kind of dangerous for him, and because he's in danger a lot and is very people-smart in spite of his quietude, he's got a pragmatic, cold, manipulative streak a mile wide that he has to fight to keep down and hates to use. This flaw provides conflict both intrapersonal and interpersonal, as it causes strife both within himself and with others. It makes him more engaging and relatable, as he goes from "normal shy guy" to "shy guy with a deeply-buried dark side", which a lot of people can connect to because they have characteristics that they really don't want others to see. Flaws can drive the story just as easily as good points, and they lead to personal character development which is always awesome to see.

Button by K'sariya!

URPG Stats!

Paired with noob dummy crazy kid rad friend Nar.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I think I tend to make my characters too perfect and boring. Maybe that's why I don't really feel like any of them are actual characters. xD I find it's especially a problem because I like the characters I come up with and because of that I don't want them to have any major flaws. D: I am definitely gonna try and work on that though!

It's really interesting to see all you guys' processes, thanks for sharing! :D
    Yeah, but Sarah, the flaws in your characters is what makes you love them. :D For instance, my Torchic character Jarre is very quick to anger and easily made jealous. But he's so funny and cute all the same. n.n Rye, the Elekid, is fairly judgmental and cold to others. He can't trust easily. Be he acts like a gentleman and is very loyal to those he trusts. C: Zanna is like me, fairly clumsy at times, maybe a little whiny and moody. But she more than makes up for that in her determination and willingness to help others, no matter how hard it is.

So all you have to do is look past their flaws, like you do for people. :D

Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar
    Sometimes the most random things can build characters as well. For instance I was having a Contest Battle with @Death's Spook and it was my Galvantula against his Chandelure. Normally my Galvantula, Cayci, is very whimsical and happy-go-lucky, often electrocuting people she likes without knowing it. Well then she had Taunt used against her and then I decided that she was going to change to the angriest spider on a dime and kick some ceiling light's metaphorical @$$. That part has stuck with her ever since.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

11. This post has been liked by: