Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not insanity. Supersanity. Death's Spook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    Sometimes the most random things can build characters as well. For instance I was having a Contest Battle with @Death's Spook and it was my Galvantula against his Chandelure. Normally my Galvantula, Cayci, is very whimsical and happy-go-lucky, often electrocuting people she likes without knowing it. Well then she had Taunt used against her and then I decided that she was going to change to the angriest spider on a dime and kick some ceiling light's metaphorical @$$. That part has stuck with her ever since.
    To be fair, said ceiling light and its trainer were also being completely evil.

EDIT: Wait, that part stuck as a permanent character change? Cooooooool.
    Last edited by Death's Spook; 09-07-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Avatar taken from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart. Two great tastes that go great together! You know, when they aren't trying to kill each other horribly.

Ivy commands you not to touch the kitty!

Banner by Neo Emolga!

Ooooo, this sounds like a fun discussion topic! :D

I used to write stories that were plot-driven, but I've turned to more character-driven stories nowadays. Which sometimes poses a problem because then I don't know where to take the story xD (Case-in point: Lee. UGH, MAN, WHAT'S YOUR STORY?!?!?!)

When I come up with a character, the first thing I think about is personality--do I want this character to be shy or outgoing, crazy or cool, a flirt or a freak... I really like experimenting with different personalities, and usually try to get one that's not too similar to my own (I'm kinda paranoid of Mary-Sue syndrome xD).

Sometimes, though, I think of a characteristic before the personality--like with Lee, a character I've used in some stories and RPs. I wanted to create a psychic character, someone with yellow eyes that would glow a certain color when using their powers. I also wanted someone who would be corruptible... BUT I didn't want him to be a cliche psychic, so I thought of some personalities that would be contradictory to the typical quirky Psychic Pokemon Trainer stereotype. Lee became a flirtatious upstart teenager with a dark side that comes out whenever he gets angry... (I'd like to write his own original story, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a plot for him xD)

But yeah, that's about it--personality/concept first, then I experiment and let it develop where it will ^^

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

I've actually had a hard time trying to find a fault with my Molly character that I use for my wrestling story. Because she is suppose to be this girly type and the total opposite of the other girls yet the others think she's a stuck up.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Ooh, ooh, ohh! A topic about one of my favorite things to do ever! XD

I think I've probably got one of the oddest thought processes when it comes to character creation ever, partially because my inspiration can come from anywhere at any given time. I get inspiration from art, stories, games, songs...just about everything.

On occasion I'll doodle random people and they'll become characters because I like how they look. Other times, I may have a nameable player character in a game, and they become OCs in their own right because I get a certain feel for how they would react in situations (for instance, my Pokemon trainers Riika and Anya. Riika was the name I gave to my PC in Pokemon FireRed, and she became my first big OC when I started RPing. Anya developed from my somewhat hilarious reactions to N while playing Pokemon Black.). Sometimes I use certain attributes I want to show through, or I pull things from characters I like...for those who know my character Luna Valentine, she was initially created because I wanted a character with a ridiculously large sword like Blackrose from the .Hack// series.

And then other times I'm known for taking characters people know and may or may not love and making my own versions of them. For instance, I have a Pokemon character based heavily off of Hamlet's Ophelia, and I'm currently taking a kind of dystopian Alice in Wonderland idea and running with it. Character creation in this snese can be really fun simply because it's like "How far can I take this character and bend them without making them someone completely new?"

As for personalities and flaws...I tend to go a bit extremist, and people who have RPed with me know this very well. I make god-mod worthy characters and find all sorts of ways to break them. This can lie in morals, in powers, in drawback to powers, in how they react to certain situations, as well as a long list of other things...and as I think someone else has said before, their flaws become another way you love them...or hate them sometimes, and depending on how broken down you've made them, part of the fun in writing for them may just be finding a way to put them back together.

My dA | My FF.Net Avvie and sig made by me!

Senior Moderator

I base them on parts of me, people I know and incidents in real life

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    I get ideas from life experiences and whatnot. If I see something or hear of something that gives me an idea for a character, I make note of it & use it later for a character. :3

My inspiration when it comes to character creation is spontaneous and very surprising. A majority of characters contain a piece of myself and sometimes, they have pieces of my ideals in them. For example, incomparable intellect or physical traits. Another main inspiration is people I've encountered. Not just friends and family. Occasionally I observe strangers in public and my mind starts working its gears. I like to daydream about potential back stories of the people I see. Like "Why is that lady frowning? Is she late for a ball? Why is she chasing away crows? Is she a witch dismissing her familiars?"

Watching films and anime, playing games, or even browsing through art online can trigger something in my mind. I'm always thinking of names. And in turn, fictional people to wear these names. Naming characters are like naming children; it is a serious process that requires thorough investment and brainstorming.

Sculpting realistic personas are easy for me because the cynic in me detests Mary Sues to the core (and feels that they should be lynched). I think about how they would react in various scenarios and what might people not find likable about them. Strengths can be flaws, too! Muscularity can turn away the love of his life because he's not gentle enough for her. It all depends on how you want to have them play it out in your world.

A lot of what's been described here is how I like to create my characters too. I think it's thoroughly important to think of them not so much as fictional characters, but as people. I mean, how do people function in the real world? Well, one thing for certain is that not everyone is going to like the same person. So why, in any circumstance (parodies excepted), would it be appropriate for a character I or anyone else makes to be liked and tolerated by all other characters? The creation of a Mary-Sue is clearly specific to people who do not think everything properly through, or who are new to creating fiction.

Similarly to what has been said, I can draw inspiration from nearly anywhere and everywhere, although some places more than others. I do like to observe people in public and wonder about their lives. It's very interesting, and it's also why I think psychology is useful in the circumstance of creating characters. The more about humans you can understand, the better you're going to be able to create ones of your own (or other species with humanistic traits).

It's been ages since I created any new characters though! I need to get back into writing.