Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On the Subject of "Said"...

So I've come across some professional advice on the greater wider internets that suggest that for dialogue, 'said' or 'asked' should be used more often (or absolutely over) than descriptive words such as "pondered", "whispered", "bellowed", "mused", "inquired", and so forth.

Admittedly, that's something I really struggle with because I go to great lengths to avoid using the same word over and over (same case with pronouns, too), so I use a lot of these descriptive "voices", let's call them. But the article I read states readers usually glaze over these descriptions when they go through dialogue anyway, so using anything other than "said" is pointless.

What's your opinion on the matter? Do you think it's really more effective to simply use 'said' all the time? I'm wondering if that's something I need to change in my own writing style...

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar
    I think the repetitive use of the word 'said' gets rather boring. I also hate writing it over and over because if I feel something is repetitive, I'd rather not have that upon my readers as well.

I also think this article could help with people finding alternate words for said.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I feel like it's better writing not to use 'said' too much, the same with any word. But then if someone is using a different word for 'said' every single time in close succession, I can find it a bit distracting when reading.

Personally, when I'm writing, I generally only use words other than 'said' if something is actually being said differently to just normal speech, not just to avoid using 'said'. Then again, my stories don't tend to have a lot of dialogue. xD
    GCEA

4. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

When it comes to said, I tend to use it a lot when I actually say people are talking. I do try to avoid it repeatedly like:

"Hello." Bon said
    "Hello." Etho said.
    "Good morning." Tyler said.

I would try to do something along the lines of:

"Hello." Bon said with a prideful look and a boastful tone.
    "Hello." Etho answered irritantly, his anger at Bon still very obvious from the actions of the previous night.
    "Good morning." Tyler sighed, knowing that this was going to be a long day with the tension between his two friends.

I try to avoid saying said repeatedly but I do tend to use it a lot. However, it does help if you add in tone in such to differentiate. Also, I occassjonally, if only two people are talking back and forth, I sometimes won't even say who is talking because I've specified previously who is speaking so it'll be like:

"Hello." Bon said.
    "Sup?" Etho replied.
    "Nothing much. Just chillin."
    "Oh really? Cause it looks like you're plotting something."

As long as you don't use it repeatedly like every time someone speaks I'll think it's ok, but it helps to transition to create variety. Keeps people interested.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I don't much like the word 'said.' Although I don't typically catch myself typing it or anything either, so I never have to try to actively avoid using it. On the contrary to whatever that person said about skimming over dialogue, I don't. I always notice if someone uses "said" and how frequently. So it does bother me. xD It bothers me when I write it as well. On occasion is okay, but I'm not likely to use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    *Casually puts in Writer's Resource*

Actually, that very article you posted has a very good point in it about using said:

Be careful not to treat the word said as a word to be avoided. Well written dialogue should never rely on tags such as the ones below, but should convey its own attitude. When using words instead of said, be sure you utilize them properly.
    I agree with a lot of what you guys have said (lol said)--it's all about moderation and variation. Maybe what the article I read was getting at was not to use overcomplicated terms, like using "conjectured" over "wondered". Keep things relatively simple.

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

8. This post has been liked by:

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    I think it also bears noting that adverbs can also make or break the intros and outros of dialogue, particularly in the case of spicing up the usual said and asked. Sometimes, there is a need for a good adverb to illuminate a mindset or a relationship, but as with substitutes for said, the more fantastic the adverbs, the less likely it will seem to be seen as a valuable part of the prose. A good example is the wealth of adverbs that crop up in Tom Swift stories like crab grass on an ill-kept suburban lawn. My personal example of a poorly-done adverb is a little more contemporary. While reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, I came across a line that read:
    "Are you okay?" she asked concernedly.
    I chucked that book across the room.

10. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I don't use said, unless I've wracked my brain out trying to think of an alternative.

I'm not a fan of it, because there are a lot of other descriptive words that work a lot better. But if the character really isn't doing anything while talking (rare) AND isn't putting any emotion into what they're saying (now very rare), there are loads of better, alternative words that give the dialogue way more flavor.

Such as:

"I really don't give a crap," she said.

I typically turn into something more like:

"I really don't give a crap," she spat at him while she was washing the dishes.

It just seems like using said is a missed opportunity.

I agree with what's been said here, about not using it too much, but at the same time not using it like it's the plague. Don't flavor your words way too much, otherwise the emphasis is lost for the times when you WANT your reader to actually pay attention to those smaller details. It really just depends on a case-by-case basis, but I think the best way to approach it is: don't overuse it, but don't go out of your way to avoid it.

Like with what Janobii said, sometimes you don't even need a tag if it's a back-and-forth conversation between two people who have already been introduced in that little section. Unless you're trying to add some sort of emphasis on a conversation like that between two people, it's not a bad idea to just leave it as how Janobii stated.

Just don't think too hard. Moderation is key.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

I'd say that using words that aren't said is great, but never using said wouldn't be a good idea.
    not that serious