Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think most of the things I was going to put on the table were already covered here:

- Sex with no plot (50 Shades of Gray)
    - Villainbots (minor or major)
    - Stereotypes (with pokemon stories especially, when it comes to dark types/predators being evil)
    - Everyone or even just one person is inexplicably in love with one particular character and pursues them despite not having a proper reason (50 Shades of Gray...)
    - That the whole popular/unpopular pokemon debate even warrants a thought for the author
    - When people don't bother to develop the characters
    - Inexplicably overpowered main characters

Neo, I do disagree with you on the subject of legendary pokemon being the Pokemon universe equivalent of gods, because as I see it, that's how regular pokemon would see them. I don't have an issue with that. Considering their pokedex entries, I believe that legendaries definitely have godlike qualities (Dialga controlling time, Palkia space, Mew being the genetic relative to all pokemon, Groudon creating continents, etc) and could therefore be seen as such. I DO agree with your point that humans wouldn't see them as gods. Powerful beings who shouldn't be messed with, sure. I do get the whole "Arceus is god" thing because that's what mythology has told people. I suppose it's like religion, where there'd be people who believe in it and people who don't. P.S. I think the only reason legendaries can be actually captured in-game is the whole...ya know...it's a game thing. They have to be obtainable somehow. It doesn't mean that in a more realistic setting, they'd be just as freely available. Sort of like how if you have a level 100 igglybuff, you could defeat a wailord whose body slam does little damage. The game logic and real world logic doesn't match up...not that a lot of pokemon logic does, but you know what I mean.

I hate it when people pay attention to a pokemon's popularity within the Pokemon community. To me, you write about pokemon you want to write about, without a second thought as to whether or not they're overused or underused. I, personally, enjoy writing about pokemon I like. Yes, I DO think about pokemon I haven't written about before and have a want to include them, but that's only because I love writing about all sorts of pokemon. I want to explore different species, make personalities and backstories for them, and enjoy myself as well as allow the reader to enjoy it. My pokemon choice is a choice based on my likes and interest in writing about different pokemon alone, and sometimes I imagine scenes with a particular pokemon in mind. If that pokemon happens to be an eevee or a pikachu, so be it. I don't want people with shallow-minded opinions about "OVERUSED AND UNDERUSED!!1!1!!" reading my story anyway, so the faster they're warded off, the better.

I've probably missed many things which annoy me, but I've probably forgotten half of them. XD

Sorry in advance if I go off on a rant. It's just most of the stuff I talk about in this post really annoys me.

My biggest pet peeve about fanfictions is definitely when they go off on tangents about how 'omg friendship lets u beat anything n makes u omnipotent lol >w<'
    I don't have anything against stories about friendship, or teamwork in general. I am aware that having a group of people or Pokemon with different skills and such can be a really great advantage when it comes to taking down a foe. But when a fanfiction starts screaming about how two random Pokemon who met five seconds ago became best friends forever and took down some big boss with power of pure friendship, it gets kind of ridiculous. I don't care if you are such good friends that you can practically read each other's minds, there is no way two level five-to-fifteen Pokemon are taking down a level 50 Spiritomb overlord, or whatever.
    That's the one thing that annoys me about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fanfictions. I really love reading PMD comics and fanfics, but it never fails to get on my nerves how fast the hero and partner become friends, or how the partner automatically believes that the hero is a human with no evidence at all.
    To be honest, however, it would be kind of funny to see a satire making fun of this. Say, the hero is actually an outlaw on the run who decides to hide as a rescue team member, and the only Pokemon willing to be their partner is a guillable, idealistic young Pokemon who believes the hero when they lie and say they're a human come to save the world.
    Another thing that gets on my nerves is when Dark automatically equals evil. It gets awfully dull and predictable when the evil Yveltal/Darkrai/Giratina is the antagonist because they're big and dark and spooky. If they have a really good personality or backstory that explains why they're the villian, I don't mind as much, though. I would really prefer it if the very last Pokemon you expect is the antagonist, though. I know that Gates to Infinity isn't the best PMD game out there, but I really like how Munna turns out to have been evil, and Hydreigon is the good guy. In a surprise twist, they managed to transform Hydreigon from a Dark typed villianbot to a cool, funny ally, and Munna was revealed to be a conniving antagonist with reasons as to why she was on Kyurem's side.
    One final thing that really annoys me is when people use the most simplistic language in battles. I have read some fanfictions that would've been really good, if it hadn't been for the fact that it was all typed like this:
    'Bob the Pokemon trainer woke up late. "Oh no," he said, "All the Pokemon at the Pokemon lab have probably been taken by now." Bob walked to the Pokemon center.
    "Oh hi Bob. All the Pokemon but this Pidgey have been taken," Professor Oak told Bob.
    "Okay I will take the Pidgey then," Bob said.
    Then Gary challenged Bob to a battle with his Bulbasaur. "Hey Bob your wimpy Pokemon can get taken out in one shot. That's what you get for sleeping in."
    "Go Pidgey use Sky Attack," Bob said and won.
    "Wow, Bob, you are such a good battler," Bob's neighbour Sally who he had never before even acknowledged said. "I had no idea. I love you so much Bob."
    "I love you so much too, Sally. Let's go traveling together," Bob said. '
    That writing kind of distances me from the story, and makes it really hard for me to connect with any of the characters. And characters falling in love seconds after meeting each other is another big pet peeve of mine. They know very little about each other, and then they're suddenly boyfriend and girlfriend, or trying to propose to each other. I just find it very unrealistic. In addition, I only like having couples in a fanfiction if they have moments where they really connect, or bond. If I can see how their relationship is growing, and becoming something they both truly treasure. If they just jump from strangers to soulmates, then they skip all the moments in between that just make someone go 'Aaaaww', and I feel that that's a major loss in a fanfiction, or any story, really.

Again, sorry if I ended up going on a little rant in the middle of that. I just feel kind of strongly about these things.

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I disagree with what a lot of people have said about the cliches. I believe overusing cliches is a bad thing, but I feel there is a place for them. I mean that less in the way of plot and more in the way of characters though. A cliche plot is boring. Throwing in a cliche character doesn't necisarily make it a boring character if it is used right. It's just when you have like, 3 main characters that are all completely cliche that it bothers me.

Other than that I more or less agree with what most people said, particularly the things involving romance. Oh, and when the character's aren't really given anything in the way of backstory (Guilty)

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I have to admit that a cliche plot might be annoying, but it can be worked. I mean they did it with RomeoxJuliet and that was a fantastic show/manga. Still I think one of the better elements of a plot is having a mix of cliche and originality. For example, having a story that starts out with the weakling getting the best _______ but then, instead of them growing to be the strongest, having them stay one of the weakest and have the adventure spiral from there.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Not entirely sure if I'm allowed to post here considering the last post was months ago, but it's on the first page and I have a little bit of a rant prepared, so I'm going to do it anyway (I know, I'm such a rascal).

I absolutely loathe the 'false imprisonment' trope to the point where it can instantaneously make me lose interest in whatever I'm reading/watching. It's even more annoying when it's either down to mind control or those who are supposed to be uncovering the truth just accept this one person is guilty. Personally, I believe it's such a contrived method of storytelling because the framed person is generally some kind of hero that has saved humanity before, yet the second he does something they don't like he should be imprisoned without question. There's also the fact that I pretty much hate prison scenes in general, but it's amplified when innocent people are subject to all kinds of torture just because one smug, usually moronic badguy has gotten away with something far too easily for it to be believable.

The one exception to that in my eyes is the Ace Attorney series, because you're proving that these people are innocent, so you get to put those smug prosecutors and dumb policemen (sorry Gumshoe) in their place.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler: